PDA

View Full Version : Making a "Dracomancer"?

ChaoticDitz
2013-09-20, 10:23 PM
I'm about to be part of a 3.5 game with the dragons homebrewed to be much, much more powerful, and the original dragons are nonexistant in the world, except in that they can are the result when you attempt to Polymorph/summon a dragon that you don't have specific allegiance with.

I decided to play off of this thing that would normally be crippling to a dragon-based character (talk about the ultimate letdown for Dragon Wild Shape Druids) and build a character who focuses on summoning and making use of the powers of the "lesser" original Dragons.

I'd prefer to be a Wizard for the flavor in this case, though Sorcerers tend to have more options for being dragonlike and gaining dragon stuff/helpers.

Aside from possibly Dragon Familiar (which I probably won't even take, since I'm probably ACF'ing off my Familiar) and the higher level Summon Monster spells, I can't really think of anything that works for this.

We're starting at ECL 6 (races up to +2 LA allowed, though I think I'm just sticking with human) and going up to 18-ish. Try not to go into the realm of cheese, if possible. And note that effectiveness is only a passing issue; I'm playing with a rather non-optimized group, though their concepts are generally more tried-and-true than mine (Pegasus-mounted charger dual-lance Fighter, group-buff focused Cleric, a Beguiler who does Beguiler stuff and very rarely actually gets involved in combat encounters, and an Artificer who does combat just enough to leech encounter XP so he doesn't fall behind in level if he accidentally goes over his level limit for free XP while crafting).

In other words, I have *some* slack to pick up, but the group isn't too optimized, so if I can just get some information on feats/spells that work for this concept without being totally the suck, that'd be great. Oh, and no Dragon Magazine or 3rd-party sources, because DM said so.

demigodus
2013-09-21, 01:28 AM
At level 9, pick up the Dragon Cohort feat.

You get to have an ECL 10 dragon cohort

Ravens_cry
2013-09-21, 01:30 AM
Put a skill point Speak Language and take Draconic.
Now you are a literal Dracomancer. :smalltongue:

ChaoticDitz
2013-09-21, 01:47 AM
At level 9, pick up the Dragon Cohort feat.

You get to have an ECL 10 dragon cohort

Eek, hope that works in the setting. Thank you for reminding me of this, though!