PDA

View Full Version : Warlock, Epic Spellcaster?

Xuldarinar
2013-09-21, 01:49 AM
Quite simply, the train of thought goes as follows.

Minimum: Warlock 24

At 21st level, or as a bonus feat at 23rd, take the Shadowmaster feat (From here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ei/20061027a)). This feat, among other things, allows you to duplicate 8th level spells as the 9th level spell, shades, as an extraordinary ability. At 24th level, could you take the Epic Spellcasting feat? I can think of arguments either way, but I wanted other people's opinions on the thought. Maybe this just wouldn't work at all and I'm just tired.

ChaoticDitz
2013-09-21, 01:54 AM
An Extraordinary ability that works as a 9th-level spell is not 9th-level spellcasting. Sorry.

Xuldarinar
2013-09-21, 06:56 AM
Eh, should have guessed. Oh well

Xuldarinar
2013-09-21, 07:45 AM
While the topic is close to this, what do people think of the various epic warlock feats?

Kane0
2013-09-21, 10:13 AM
Warlocks have always had that not-quite-a-spellcaster problem. You might want to hunt around to see if there is an invoking equialent to epic spellcasting, or if possible cook up an epic invoking feat that works parallel to epic spellcasting (epic psionics could help you if you do this too)

AmberVael
2013-09-21, 10:17 AM
It's not an Ex ability.

All abilities are spell-like, supernatural, or extraordinary. The supernatural and extraordinary abilities are labeled as such, except in the case of bonuses to caster level or skill bonuses that are not labeled because they function in the same way as a normal feat.

It's not labeled, and it isn't a caster level bonus or skill bonus, so that makes it a spell-like ability.

Anyway, I really like the epic warlock feats. They're relatively potent enough to really be worth it for the Warlock, but not so strong that they really unbalance the game. Except maybe Shadowmaster because it pretty much gives you an entire school of magic.

Xuldarinar
2013-09-21, 10:28 AM
It's not an Ex ability.

It's not labeled, and it isn't a caster level bonus or skill bonus, so that makes it a spell-like ability.

Anyway, I really like the epic warlock feats. They're relatively potent enough to really be worth it for the Warlock, but not so strong that they really unbalance the game. Except maybe Shadowmaster because it pretty much gives you an entire school of magic.

Good point. It must be spell-like.

The question does lie in now. Does shades allow any conjuration spell to be copied, or only sorcerer and wizard conjuration (summoning) and sorcerer and wizard conjuration (creation).

My stance is as follows: The exception proves the rule.

Shadow Conjuration lists only those two. Greater Shadow Conjuration lists only those two. Shades just says sorcerer and wizard conjuration spells.

Now if only I could take the feat (regardless of if shades grants virtual access to all sor/wiz put to 8, or only (summoning) and (creation)) prior to epic levels.

Edit: I do wish that such a warlock could, by raw, join the Tenebrous Cabal. I mean, they are casting shade, which is an arcane spell. But it just simulates the effects so I'm not sure that counts. I'd only want one to be able to join simply for the sake of flavor really.

Phelix-Mu
2013-09-21, 09:27 PM
The problem is generally that SLAs aren't "cast." Cast a spell is a specific kind of action, and activate SLA is a different kind. While the rules that govern the two do overlap in some places, there are lots of differences. More importantly, there are sidebars which have explained what warlock invoker level can be used for, and the RAW is pretty restrictive.

But, more importantly, epic warlock is not broken. Epic Spellcasting, unless you are porting in a homebrew fix, is terribly, hideously borked, to the extent that it can really eliminate whole sections of the plot. It's pretty much wish fulfillment, and unless the DM tones it down a whole lot by fixing mitigation, it's not very sporting. Mythal and shadow epic seeds are basically instant win buttons.

If handled properly, epic spells can work. But it requires a skilled DM to make this possible, in most cases.

So, I think there are more interesting avenues of power that an epic warlock could investigate. Like researching unique blast shape invocations or blast essence invocations, founding a demonic-blooded dynasty, or the like.

Just my opinion.