View Full Version : Superior Spider-Man

IronFist
2013-09-21, 02:42 AM
Doctor Octopus took over as Spider-Man, after possessing Peter Parer's body. This weird and somewhat offensive idea generated an intriguing and well written series. Anyone reading it?

Senator Cybus
2013-09-22, 12:48 AM
Reading it and loving it. :smallsmile: Well, catching up with it via trade paperback a.s.a.p. and loving it, at least.

Interesting that you call it offensive - I've seen quite a few people on various forums stating that they refuse to read it, because it's a 'betrayal' or 'perversion' of the character of Spider-Man - even though the fact that this character isn't Spider-Man is kind of the point!

Plus, the status quo will obviously be restored soon enough anyway. It will be interesting though to see how it all affects Otto long-term (assuming subsequent writers don't just forget all about it...).

IronFist
2013-09-22, 02:05 AM
Interesting that you call it offensive - I've seen quite a few people on various forums stating that they refuse to read it, because it's a 'betrayal' or 'perversion' of the character of Spider-Man - even though the fact that this character isn't Spider-Man is kind of the point!
EXACTLY!
The book is Slott's love letter to Peter Parker.

Plus, the status quo will obviously be restored soon enough anyway. It will be interesting though to see how it all affects Otto long-term (assuming subsequent writers don't just forget all about it...).
They are teasing "the return of Doctor Octopus" next month. :smallamused:

Drascin
2013-09-22, 02:30 AM
EXACTLY!
The book is Slott's love letter to Peter Parker.

Eh. From what few issues I cared to read, it was more Slott's love letter to his idea, really. Otto tends to have a kind of absurd luck that is almost like he had the Parker Luck reverse - instead of everything going badly all the time forever like Peter always did, he seems to have everything always go in his favor. He's basically still working off the supervillain proviso that plans always go off pretty well unless the hero thwarts them, but he didn't have an enemy hero yet to thwart them so everything just went his way up to the point I read before just going meh and leaving it aside.

So mostly it read a bit like "look at how much more Spiderman could do if Peter wasn't an idiot" than any kind of love letter.

Personally, from reading a little of both I tend to consider Scarlet spider rather more entertaining, which is definitely helped by Kaine having a really great supporting cast and an interestingly down to earth tone. So of course from what I hear it's being cancelled, because it's not like we can have nice things :smalltongue:

IronFist
2013-09-22, 03:45 AM
Eh. From what few issues I cared to read, it was more Slott's love letter to his idea, really. Otto tends to have a kind of absurd luck that is almost like he had the Parker Luck reverse - instead of everything going badly all the time forever like Peter always did, he seems to have everything always go in his favor. He's basically still working off the supervillain proviso that plans always go off pretty well unless the hero thwarts them, but he didn't have an enemy hero yet to thwart them so everything just went his way up to the point I read before just going meh and leaving it aside.

So mostly it read a bit like "look at how much more Spiderman could do if Peter wasn't an idiot" than any kind of love letter.
Octopus is successful, but souless. It gets brought up every issue - people think he is not being himself and he goes "Parker is an idiot!" but he is never happy with himself. Superior Spider-Man is about someone trying to be a very efficient Spider-Man and slowly figuring out that being efficient is not the most important part of Spider-Man.
It's a love letter to Parker, alright.

Personally, from reading a little of both I tend to consider Scarlet spider rather more entertaining, which is definitely helped by Kaine having a really great supporting cast and an interestingly down to earth tone. So of course from what I hear it's being cancelled, because it's not like we can have nice things :smalltongue:
Scarlet Spider and Venom were cancelled. It sucks. :smallfrown:

KillianHawkeye
2013-09-22, 08:14 AM

IIRC, I remember a lot of people being offended when Octavius-Parker decided he would try to date MJ just because she was Peter's girlfriend, and how that felt kinda rapey considering that Ock was not really Peter and just posing as him to get the girl. Sounded kinda sick IMO.

Tavar
2013-09-22, 10:56 AM
Wait, are people really saying that dating someone of their own volition has rape undertones?

Frozen_Feet
2013-09-22, 11:39 AM
There's a bad thing going on, all right, but it's deception & impersonation, not rape. It's just that distinction gets lost in the wonderworld of the net. :smalltongue:

Sunken Valley
2013-09-22, 12:47 PM
There's a bad thing going on, all right, but it's deception & impersonation, not rape. It's just that distinction gets lost in the wonderworld of the net. :smalltongue:

No, rape by deception is a real crime. There was this one serial rapist who pretended to be women's boyfriends and asked to have sex with them but made them wear blindfolds so they didn't recognise him as not their boyfriend. He got 10 years and would have got more if a lot of his victims couldn't say beyond reasonable doubt that they recognised him.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-09-22, 01:35 PM
I really want to read it, but I missed the first few issues so I am hoping there is a compilation or something coming, the first issues (1-4ish) are really hard to find and quite expensive (for a comic book in anycase)

Frozen_Feet
2013-09-22, 01:49 PM
No, rape by deception is a real crime. Depends on the legal system. In any case, what happened in the comic doesn't fall under that bill. Deception, certainly, rape not so much.

IronFist
2013-09-22, 05:38 PM
Depends on the legal system. In any case, what happened in the comic doesn't fall under that bill. Deception, certainly, rape not so much.

There was no sex involved. Heck, they never even kissed, IIRC.

KillianHawkeye
2013-09-22, 07:54 PM
Well I don't know what did or didn't happen, but it sounded like it was his intention to hook up with MJ using his de facto disguise. Failing to do so doesn't change the creepy, rapey feeling. And that did bother people who were discussing it at the time.

IronFist
2013-09-22, 08:05 PM
Well I don't know what did or didn't happen, but it sounded like it was his intention to hook up with MJ using his de facto disguise. Failing to do so doesn't change the creepy, rapey feeling. And that did bother people who were discussing it at the time.

It bothered Otto himself and that's why he didn't go through with it.
People were getting all riled up before reading the comic.

Dienekes
2013-09-22, 08:06 PM
Huh, a villain in a heroes cloths sometimes doing something of questionable morals. I don't see the problem there.

Sith_Happens
2013-09-22, 08:22 PM

Well, if nothing else, Mainline Doc Ock can pat himself on the back for having significantly more scruples than Ultimate Wolverine.:smalleek:

KillianHawkeye
2013-09-22, 08:26 PM

Yeah, I guess I was mis-remembering exactly what the discussion was.

I went back to the old threads and all I could find about it was a couple of posts:

I find it interesting that not more people have pointed out that what is happening is in fact borderline rape. The fact that Doc Ock is sleeping with a woman under false pretences is creepy beyond description. It is also a Trope in romcoms and romances, but hey...

I guess I would be waiting for pigs to fly straight out of a frozen hell, but I would love to have MJ actually leave him forever or at least kick him in the balls and never talk to him again when she finds out, but instead Slott is just using this to rewind OMD.

He's pressing the rewind button in the worst way. And yha, Doc Ock is totally doing that, and that's absolutely god aweful. Especialy since from what I've heard he's still acting like Doc Ock in the Peter Parker body. So he's calling MJ "woman" and degrading her. And her response is "I still love you" and kissing him.
This was from reactions to Amazing Spider-Man #700 which set up the current story arc.

IronFist
2013-09-22, 10:05 PM
Well, if nothing else, Mainline Doc Ock can pat himself on the back for having significantly more scruples than Ultimate Wolverine.:smalleek:

That story was awful and even Bendis knew it!

Frozen_Feet
2013-09-23, 01:06 AM
There was no sex involved. Heck, they never even kissed, IIRC.

Well, like I said: the distinction gets lost in the wonderworld of the net. :smallwink::smalltongue:

Senator Cybus
2013-09-23, 05:53 PM
I really want to read it, but I missed the first few issues so I am hoping there is a compilation or something coming, the first issues (1-4ish) are really hard to find and quite expensive (for a comic book in anycase)

£7.69 on Amazon.co.uk (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Superior-Spider-Man-Own-Worst-Enemy/dp/1846535387/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1379976339&sr=1-2&keywords=superior+spider-man+volume+1), so I assume it's available for the equivalent cash on your local version of the site (e.g. 'bout $11 in the U.S., I'd think). Unless you don't have a debit/credit card, in which case ignore me. :smallsmile:

Dusk Eclipse
2013-09-24, 08:19 AM
£7.69 on Amazon.co.uk (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Superior-Spider-Man-Own-Worst-Enemy/dp/1846535387/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1379976339&sr=1-2&keywords=superior+spider-man+volume+1), so I assume it's available for the equivalent cash on your local version of the site (e.g. 'bout $11 in the U.S., I'd think). Unless you don't have a debit/credit card, in which case ignore me. :smallsmile:

Frustatingly enough, the Mexican Amazon only has the Kindle version, and I prefer my comic-books in dead-tree form (Besides I don't own a kindle or an Ipad).

And I am not sure the american site ships to México, I'll try to see if some of the big comic shops have it at a reasonable price, I found the first issue (non-metallic cover) for the equivalent of 23 dollars, just the first issue; I don't have that kind of cash to drop on a comic book.

IronFist
2013-09-24, 02:33 PM
23 dollars?! That's insane!

Lord Magtok
2013-09-24, 02:46 PM

Hold on, Ultimate Wolverine did what? :smalleek:

IronFist
2013-09-24, 02:50 PM
Hold on, Ultimate Wolverine did what? :smalleek:

Logan and Peter were brain swapped because Jean Grey had PMS or something. While in Peter's body, Logan made out with Mary Jane.