PDA

View Full Version : (Pathfinder) Ring of Counterspells

EvilAvocado
2013-09-21, 04:41 AM
Recently acquired a Ring of Counterspells in my PF campaign.

Being a wizard, I naturally gave it to the Fighter. What are the most debilitating spells to fighters? (ie: what should I store in the ring for him?)

Kudaku
2013-09-21, 05:03 AM
What level of spellcaster are you coming up against? Just in general I'd say Charm/Dominate is pretty high on the list...

aeauseth
2013-09-23, 04:24 PM
In my opinion you should take that ring back. Put a dispel magic in it and wear it yourself. This makes you immune to a targeted dispel magic. It would also be good for your cleric, or any other character that enjoys lots of buffs.

Other than dispel magic, you might try charm person (and let your fighter keep it). Another spell might be Dimentional Anchor.

137beth
2013-09-23, 06:09 PM
What level are we talking about?

Dominate Person is a good candidate for mid-levels, but if you are too low level to encounter it it won't do much (and you couldn't use it in the first place).

On the other hand, if you are a high enough level to have mind blank, then you shouldn't be worrying about charms/compulsions.

In the end, though, (greater) dispel magic is a solid choice.

Khantin
2013-09-23, 06:39 PM
I third ben and aeauseth, I have actually used the ring of counterspells with a dispel loaded in there and ended up winning a duel in part because of that, with a stone giant mage that had 1 less CL than me but like 12 more HD :D

GoodbyeSoberDay
2013-09-23, 10:38 PM
In PF, Dispel Magic is actually pretty horrible at getting rid of buffs; I wouldn't waste my time trying to counter it. Greater Dispel Magic is a good candidate, though.