PDA

View Full Version : Build tips for a VoP Pyrokineticist?

Blackjackg
2013-09-21, 07:45 AM
Name says it all... any thoughts on a build for a Pyrokineticist (Expanded Psionics Handbook) character that has also taken Vow of Poverty (Book of Exalted Deeds)? Those are really the only two requirements I have at this stage, although the combination means that the character must be Chaotic Good and maybe that we be a little flexible on the class requirement that the character have set fire to something "just to watch it burn"...

I see the character as a righteous wrath-type anarchist, tearing through oppressive institutions. Flavor is more important than optimization, but it would be nice to have the character weigh in at least Tier 4 on the whole. Any official 3.5 material is fine.

The sample build I've got now is a little muddy. Human Shaman (from Oriental Adventures/Dragon #318; slightly tweaked so that it has access to all cleric domains) with single level dips into Chaos Monk (from Dragon #335) for the Wisdom bonus to AC and Ardent (Complete Psionic) for the power points and mantles, and all ten level of pyrokineticist. Human lets me jump into VoP at level 1 by using both feats then I just need to buff up my wisdom as crazy high as I can for bonus spells, power points and AC.

I might have liked to use the "swift and deadly hunter" druid variant from Unearthed Arcana pg. 58, but the alignment requirements don't line up...

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-09-21, 07:57 AM
Pyrokineticist doesn't grant anything worthwhile after its first level, and it's going to be extremely difficult to even be in the high tier 5 range with all ten levels in it, especially if you're also getting Vow of Poverty. You're better off just dipping a single level and Power Attacking with the fire lash. Better yet, since fire is the most-often immune/resisted element, switch it to sonic damage (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040625e). The -1 damage per die is irrelevant when the majority of your damage comes from Power Attack. Note that you can use Power Attack with a standard whip, which means it also works with the energy lash despite making ranged touch attacks. Point-Blank Shot will always give you a +1 to attack and damage with it, but you won't be able to make attacks of opportunity with it (though if you threaten adjacent squares you can still AoO with unarmed strikes, natural weapons, armor spikes, etc.).

Emperor Tippy
2013-09-21, 01:20 PM
Let's see.

Psion (Kineticist) 9/ Pyrokineticist 10/ Swordsage 1

I would go Elan for your race but it doesn't matter all that much. Resilience and Resistance, especially after you spend the feats to make them better, will help you immensely in terms of survival.

Trade your WBL to NPC Psions for Psychic Chiguery manifestations to get extra powers. I mean donate your money to a psionicly gifted charity that will thank you for your generosity.

Pick up Psionic Fly this way, along with Teleport and Metamorphosis.

Otherwise take powers that either shore up weaknesses (like the above do) or fit thematically; such as the various Energy X powers (like Energy Wall).

The real thing you want is Fiery Discorporation, mostly because it is thematic as all hell but also because it gives you a chance to survive.

You DM might not like it but you want to get the cleric spell Surge of Fortune as a power. This is done by a Wyrm Wizard turning it into an arcane spell before a Spell to Power Erudite takes it from the Wyrm Wizard and then teaches it through Psychic Chiguery. You want this because when expended you can automatically gain a natural 20 on your Will saving throw.

For feats you want Earth Power (reduce PP costs by 1 for every power so long as you are touching Earth), Linked Power, and Metapower. You want a Metapower Linked Bestow Power+ Bestow Power because this will let you recharge your PP with a minute or so worth of work outside of combat.

You should start off combat with a Synchronicity Linked to Surge of Fortune. It costs 10 PP but effectively lets you put it up in the first round of combat.

Swordsage is level 20 mostly for lack of anything better and because it gives you a few more abilities to choose from (Desert Wind fits pretty well thematically).

Dipping one level of Martial Monk might work better. Take Kung Fu Genius to make it's AC boost Int based and spend your feat on Exceptional Deflection if your DM will let you.

In the end you will be a solid Tier 3 player and with the Psion levels first you should be able to contribute decently from level 1 on up.

Oh yes, and use Embrace the Dark Chaos plus Shun the Dark Chaos ("donate" to NPC caster organizations for them if necessary) to switch out all of the bonus exalted feats for actually useful feats (or see if your DM is sane and will just let you pick any feats for your VoP bonus feats in the first place).