PDA

View Full Version : Would a Void Bomb work?

littlebum2002
2013-09-21, 10:40 AM
I was looking at the stays for a Bag of Holding, and found out that if you drop a portable hole in it, it destroys both items and anything In a 10ft radius. I found out I wasn't the first person to think of this, and it's apparently called a "void bomb".

Couldn't this be used to kill basically any monster at all? Open bag of holding, hold portable hole on top using a spectral hand or something, then cast an illusion over it to look like an enemy (or food). Creature approaches illusion, dispel spectral hand, creature is insta-kill.

So what's keeping, say, a level 15 party from killing the tarraesque this way?

Nettlekid
2013-09-21, 10:42 AM
http://i.imgur.com/Gfq4q.jpg

Volthawk
2013-09-21, 10:48 AM
The major thing is this: they don't die. They get sucked into the Astral Plane. And considering each bomb is 22.5k, at the level you're throwing around that much money on disposable weapons, your targets will probably be able to get out of the plane in some way, so all you're doing is removing the problem right now and buying time. The tarrasque isn't quite so capable of getting out, but that just means it'll be rampaging around the Astral until it stumbles across a way into another plane (perhaps the Prime, perhaps not).

Krobar
2013-09-21, 10:51 AM
It doesn't kill you. It sucks you into the Astral Plane.

If your target can cast Planeshift (or even better, Greater Planeshift) all you've done is delay him a little bit.

unseenmage
2013-09-21, 11:08 AM
Everything around the event is sucked into the Astral.
Everything inside the Bag is destroyed utterly.

Belial_the_Leveler
2013-09-21, 11:34 AM
It is, however, a very efficient way of permanently killing people who have symptoms of ressurrection sickness or cloning sickness or immortality.

Instead of killing the big demon BBEG and have it return a few years later after it reforms, you knock said boss out, throw it in the bag and execute the Void Termination protocol.

Emperor Tippy
2013-09-21, 01:40 PM
It is, however, a very efficient way of permanently killing people who have symptoms of ressurrection sickness or cloning sickness or immortality.

Instead of killing the big demon BBEG and have it return a few years later after it reforms, you knock said boss out, throw it in the bag and execute the Void Termination protocol.

Until someone uses Wish to return him.

John Longarrow
2013-09-21, 02:33 PM
So what's keeping, say, a level 15 party from killing the tarraesque this way?

Because as written there are a lot of other ways a 15th or less level party can kill it.

Flight + spells that don't offer a save and are not affected by SR work just fine. Trick is to put on more than 40 points a round, get it to below 0, then go to work at close range with the melee guys. Once you get it to -866, break out the scroll of miracle or wish and its gone.

The trick is getting it stuck in place so your melee-heavy party members can close in. Lot less expensive than the bag+portable hole, especially if you are hiring a high level caster for the spell at the end.

Worira
2013-09-21, 03:15 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Gfq4q.jpg

That arrow weighs 15 pounds.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-09-21, 04:05 PM
Ballista bolts?

Evolved Shrimp
2013-09-21, 04:10 PM
That arrow weighs 15 pounds.

Doesn't matter. Consider it a really heavy javelin, and with a decent strength score, you can still throw it a lot farther than 10ft.

Humble Master
2013-09-21, 04:17 PM
As said above, the effect of teleporting your victim to the Astral Plane, for 22.5k, is not very good at all. Heck, a scroll of Gate would cost less. Still, the "void bomb" concept can kind of work because of this line in the Bag of Holding's description:

If the bag is overloaded, or if sharp objects pierce it (from inside or outside), the bag ruptures and is ruined. All contents are lost forever.

So, for a rather devious trap make a really big Bag of Holding (there is nothing specifying the size of these things) and put it in a doorway. Use illusions or whatever to make the inside look like a room. Set up a magical trap to puncture the bag when a creature steps inside the "room".

limejuicepowder
2013-09-21, 04:35 PM
As said above, the effect of teleporting your victim to the Astral Plane, for 22.5k, is not very good at all. Heck, a scroll of Gate would cost less. Still, the "void bomb" concept can kind of work because of this line in the Bag of Holding's description:

So, for a rather devious trap make a really big Bag of Holding (there is nothing specifying the size of these things) and put it in a doorway. Use illusions or whatever to make the inside look like a room. Set up a magical trap to puncture the bag when a creature steps inside the "room".

And if the creature that was in the room had a strong personality, or important unfinished business, a new vestige is born.

CIDE
2013-09-21, 05:24 PM
In the event of a creature larger than the radius of the effect would it only suck part of the creature into the astral plane? Pretty sure that'd kill A LOT of things.

Starbuck_II
2013-09-21, 05:36 PM
In the event of a creature larger than the radius of the effect would it only suck part of the creature into the astral plane? Pretty sure that'd kill A LOT of things.

Depends on what parts get sucked in. Though they would still be rightly miffed.

littlebum2002
2013-09-21, 07:57 PM
-Archer readies bow with Void Trap Arrow.

Archer fires bow.

Arrow, weighing 15lbs , all at the tip, immediately goes straight for the ground, 9 feet in front of the party.

Archer: "oops!"

unseenmage
2013-09-21, 08:09 PM
Depends on what parts get sucked in. Though they would still be rightly miffed.

I'm kinda curious about this actually. If it inherits from the Plane Shift spell then a simple touch is enough to send the entire creature.

I'm not sure there even is a precedent game mechanic for sending only parts of a creature through a teleport or plane shift by RAW.

lsfreak
2013-09-21, 08:55 PM
I'm not sure there even is a precedent game mechanic for sending only parts of a creature through a teleport or plane shift by RAW.

Off the top of my head, the psionic power Dissipating Touch is the only thing that references the possibility of partial teleports/plane shifts/whatever. It's just 1d6 damage/PP fluffed as teleporting little pieces of someone's body elsewhere.

TuggyNE
2013-09-21, 09:07 PM
Off the top of my head, the psionic power Dissipating Touch is the only thing that references the possibility of partial teleports/plane shifts/whatever. It's just 1d6 damage/PP fluffed as teleporting little pieces of someone's body elsewhere.

Also, the psionic powers baleful teleport and decerebrate. The last of those is actually quite interesting: it teleports a chunk of the target's brain away, which forces a save or lose-and-then-die.

Platymus Pus
2013-09-21, 09:08 PM
-Archer readies bow with Void Trap Arrow.

Archer fires bow.

Arrow, weighing 15lbs , all at the tip, immediately goes straight for the ground, 9 feet in front of the party.

Archer: "oops!"

If one was to roll a one I suppose.
If the bow is large enough he just has to aim for an arc.