PDA

View Full Version : Contact Feats [3.5 feats, PEACH]

qwertyu63
2013-09-21, 01:12 PM
----------------------------------------------
These are feats based around the idea of making contacts in the world. Enjoy.
Web of Contacts: (Social)
You have a web of contacts around the world.
Prerequisites: Character level 6, at least 1 Social feat
Benefit: Once per week, while in a settlement of at least 1000 people, you can declare yourself to have a contact in the city capable of performing a chosen task. This contact is at a level equal to half of your level (round up). They act like any other NPC, but start with a default attitude of Helpful.
Special: You can take this feat multiple times. Each time you take this feat, you can use it an extra time per week.

Teacher: (Social)
You have the skills required to take on an apprentice.
Prerequisites: Character level 3
Benefit: You gain a cohort. This cohort's ECL is always equal to half of your ECL plus your Charisma bonus (that is [ECL+Cha]/2, round up), not to exceed two-thirds of your ECL. This cohort is always of the same class as you, but all other details can vary. If your cohort dies, you can find and recruit a replacement by spending 24 hours looking in any settlement of at least 1000 people. Your cohort has the WBL of an NPC of their level.
Special: You can take this feat multiple times. Its effects stack. Each time, the required character level is increased by 4.
Special: Your cohorts may not have Teacher or Leader.
Special: Temporary bonuses to Charisma (from spells, items and other effects) do not count towards your Charisma bonus for this feat unless that bonus has been in effect for at least 24 hours.

Leader: (Social)
You can bring people together under a common cause.
Prerequisites: Character level 6, at least 1 Social feat
Benefit: You gain followers. You gain a number of level 1 followers equal to double your ECL plus your Charisma bonus (that is [ECL+Cha]*2). You also gain some level 2 followers. Divide your number of level 1 followers by 5, round down. You gain that many second level followers. You might get some level 3 followers as well. Divide your number of level 2 followers by 5, round down. You gain that many third level followers (if any).

Your followers arrive to your location in 24 hours; likewise, lost followers are replaced within 24 hours. Your followers may only have levels in expert or warrior. Your followers have the WBL of an NPC of their level.
Special: You can take this feat multiple times. The total number of level 1 followers stacks, and is used to calculate higher level followers normally.
Special: Your followers may not have Teacher or Leader.
Special: Temporary bonuses to Charisma (from spells, items and other effects) do not count towards your Charisma bonus for this feat unless that bonus has been in effect for at least 24 hours.

Estate: (Social)
Your connections bring you some income.
Benefit: Each month, you receive 10 gp times your ECL in coins. These coins do not magically fall into your lap, but instead must be picked up. You can pick up these coins in any settlement of at least 1000 people. If you fail to pick up a given months coins within the month, they are lost.
Special: You can take this feat multiple times. Its effects stack.

Merchant Prince: (Social)
You know merchants across the world.
Prerequisites: Character level 3
Benefit: Once per day, while in a settlement of at least 1000 people, you can can get any non-magical item worth 5 gold pieces times your ECL or less for free. Doing this takes 1 hour.
Special: You can take this feat multiple times. Each time you take this feat, you can use it an extra time per day.

Landkeeper: (Social)
Your contacts procure you a castle.
Prerequisites: Character level 12, at least 2 Social feats
Benefit: Within 1 week of taking this feat, you gain control and ownership of a small keep. This keep is identical to the one given by the Throne card from the deck of many things.
Special: If you lose control of your castle for 1 consecutive year, this feat is refunded, and can be respent on any social feat.
Special Location:
See the rules in Complete Scoundrel for how these locations work.

Weaver's Web:
A large group of socialites, allowing visitors to make powerful friends.
Activation: To activate the power of the Weavers Web, you must make a DC 40 Diplomacy check. Each attempt at this check takes 1 day, and you get a +1 bonus on this check for each time you failed it.
Benefit: You gain any one Social feat as a bonus feat. You must qualify for the chosen feat.
Price: 7000 gp.

Magnyr_Delorn
2013-09-21, 03:13 PM
I don't mean to be offensive, but feat ideas like this(and Leadership, and the Gather Information skill, etc) always seemed to me to be poor replacements for roleplay.

I don't know if I'm in the minority with this opinion, but games I've run and played in never used Leadership or the Gather Information skill and similar abilities. If we wanted information, we went out and sought it out within our characters skillset and personality. If we wanted a companion, we did a favor for the king, saved a dragon's life, or bought a bear cub from an unscrupulous merchant.

The Mentalist
2013-09-21, 09:11 PM
I don't mean to be offensive, but feat ideas like this(and Leadership, and the Gather Information skill, etc) always seemed to me to be poor replacements for roleplay.

Where I see where you're coming from, as someone with serious social issues it allows me to play a high charisma character without having to have a high charisma. Some of us can only go so far without a roll of the dice and I think that they are something that's kind of needed for those of us who have severe social disabilities to play some of the roles in the game that require that.

If we wanted a companion, we did a favor for the king, saved a dragon's life, or bought a bear cub from an unscrupulous merchant.

Though these are all still valid options and ones I have used in game, I also like the fact that there were hireling rules in 2nd edition (and I think in 3rd as well) that allow me to not have to role-play through acquiring every companion, and where the Leadership feat opens up a lot of cheese if abused it can be very good to fill a type of character role that a lot of us don't have the actual ability to pull off with our own role-playing abilities. This is the reason I play d20, not Whitewolf.

As for the feats themselves:

I think Web of Contacts needs to be able to be taken multiple times to get multiple uses (I'd have it scale like Font of Inspiration personally) but that it's otherwise fine, remember that it allows everyone to craft their own magic items (which is not quite a bad thing) of 1/2 their character level and gives them access to crucial skills in a pinch (Which I like, I could go with renting a Bard for a party or something of the sort)

I would honestly drop the required level for Teacher to 4 or 5 though, again allowing it to be taken multiple times (though maybe put a soft cap on it, 1/5HD) though this one has some interesting implications for a lot of classes it most affects (I think) Wizards with access to Circle Magic, giving them access to basic Simulacrum cheese earlier and allowing Wizards/Archivists in particular access to additional spells from their student's spellbooks (admitted these will be lower level spells but it's still worth noting)

I rather like them, though I always have trouble with feats that grant an extra character, the 1/2 level instead of lvl -2 is a nice touch, perhaps even a feat that raises that by one or two levels (call it Promising Student or something of the sort)

qwertyu63
2013-09-21, 09:19 PM
Where I see where you're coming from, as someone with serious social issues it allows me to play a high charisma character without having to have a high charisma. Some of us can only go so far without a roll of the dice and I think that they are something that's kind of needed for those of us who have severe social disabilities to play some of the roles in the game that require that.

That's the idea. Thank you for making the point for me, as I couldn't come up with the words.

Though these are all still valid options and ones I have used in game, I also like the fact that there were hireling rules in 2nd edition (and I think in 3rd as well) that allow me to not have to role-play through acquiring every companion, and where the Leadership feat opens up a lot of cheese if abused it can be very good to fill a type of character role that a lot of us don't have the actual ability to pull off with our own role-playing abilities. This is the reason I play d20, not Whitewolf.

As for the feats themselves:

I think Web of Contacts needs to be able to be taken multiple times to get multiple uses (I'd have it scale like Font of Inspiration personally) but that it's otherwise fine, remember that it allows everyone to craft their own magic items (which is not quite a bad thing) of 1/2 their character level and gives them access to crucial skills in a pinch (Which I like, I could go with renting a Bard for a party or something of the sort)

Ooh, the idea of taking it more then once sounds good. On it.

I would honestly drop the required level for Teacher to 4 or 5 though, again allowing it to be taken multiple times (though maybe put a soft cap on it, 1/5HD) though this one has some interesting implications for a lot of classes it most affects (I think) Wizards with access to Circle Magic, giving them access to basic Simulacrum cheese earlier and allowing Wizards/Archivists in particular access to additional spells from their student's spellbooks (admitted these will be lower level spells but it's still worth noting)

I rather like them, though I always have trouble with feats that grant an extra character, the 1/2 level instead of lvl -2 is a nice touch, perhaps even a feat that raises that by one or two levels (call it Promising Student or something of the sort)

I was actually worried I put that level requirement too low. I'll bring it down. I am rather worried about having it stack with itself though.

qwertyu63
2013-11-05, 08:12 PM
Arise thread.

I have added in a more balanced feat for followers.