PDA

View Full Version : My children's museum wants to destroy the universe and everyone in it

littlebum2002
2013-09-21, 01:23 PM
They have this sign on the wall. I was very disappointed.

http://i.imgur.com/Zy8wplt.jpg

Gift Jeraff
2013-09-21, 01:27 PM
Founded by the Holey Brotherhood, est. 1018.

SaintRidley
2013-09-21, 01:53 PM
Founded by the Holey Brotherhood, est. 1018.

Explains why apparently only boys can scribble, too.

littlebum2002
2013-09-21, 02:08 PM
Explains why apparently only boys can scribble, too.

Girls can destroy the fabric of the universe if they want to, also.

Tiki Snakes
2013-09-21, 04:18 PM
No, see, they're right!
At first, it's all wobbly random snarlyness and destroying people and gods and things.

But give it time, and it's able to start genuinely creating in a controlled and productive manner.
A world within the rift...

Porthos
2013-09-21, 04:20 PM
Girls can destroy the fabric of the universe if they want to, also.

Read the sign again. :smallsmile:

DaggerPen
2013-09-21, 05:05 PM
The image isn't loading for me.

KillianHawkeye
2013-09-21, 05:06 PM

It's the gender-neutral "his".

Zmeoaice
2013-09-21, 05:07 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender-neutral_pronoun#Generic_he

Psyren
2013-09-21, 05:25 PM
No eyes, it's not a full Snarl yet, we're fine.

(And apparently every scrawl of crayons over that font is OotS-related now :smalltongue: )

Onyavar
2013-09-21, 05:37 PM
The image isn't loading for me.

Image is loading for me, but it's frigging huge, with characters as large as my screen. All I could make out of the thing is that you should somehow celebrate scribbles - the flow text was too hard to follow, sorry.
Looking at the last scribble comic (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0644.html) I can only heartily concur with that message. Or did I overlook a mention of the snarl?? :smallconfused:

@Littlebum, could you please include a text explanation of your topic next time? It's not the first time your initial post leaves me a bit confused...

SaintRidley
2013-09-21, 06:42 PM

In a language without grammatical gender but with gendered pronouns, gender-neutral his may be traditionally correct but still is absolutely not gender-neutral. I'd be happy to go into detail about the history of gender-neutral pronouns in English, particularly the reasons that the masculine in English wound up becoming the traditionally gender-neutral option.

Obscure Blade
2013-09-21, 06:48 PM
Image is loading for me, but it's frigging huge, with characters as large as my screen.
Right-click and choose View Image*; that shows the whole thing at a reasonable size. I often use that function with oversized images.

*Assuming that isn't some Firefox only trick; I haven't used any other browser for a long time

Porthos
2013-09-21, 07:24 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender-neutral_pronoun#Generic_he

I am well aware of this phenomeon. I've spoken English (nearly) my entire life, after all. :smallwink:

I was simply explaining SaintRidley's objection. :smallsmile:

littlebum2002
2013-09-21, 07:32 PM
Sorry for the confusion. It's just a sign that says "celebrate the scribble" with a crayon scribble behind it that looks like the snarl. I don't think the rest of the sign is very relevant.

I just thought it was pretty funny. And yes, I am somewhat enigmatic with my posts, which I should probably rectify.

KillianHawkeye
2013-09-21, 11:02 PM
In a language without grammatical gender but with gendered pronouns, gender-neutral his may be traditionally correct but still is absolutely not gender-neutral. I'd be happy to go into detail about the history of gender-neutral pronouns in English, particularly the reasons that the masculine in English wound up becoming the traditionally gender-neutral option.

That's rather unnecessary. I don't particularly care about any of that. :smallcool:

Zmeoaice
2013-09-21, 11:22 PM
I am well aware of this phenomeon. I've spoken English (nearly) my entire life, after all. :smallwink:

I was simply explaining SaintRidley's objection. :smallsmile:

Also, Brotherhood doesn't always mean all-male group. Like the Brotherhood of Mutants from the X-men comics.

DaggerPen
2013-09-22, 12:05 AM
While I'm a big believer in gender neutral pronouns and loathe the idea of using male as the "neutral" gender, as though men are the default, I don't think this is really the place to discuss this.

ti'esar
2013-09-22, 12:38 AM
While I'm a big believer in gender neutral pronouns and loathe the idea of using male as the "neutral" gender, as though men are the default, I don't think this is really the place to discuss this.

Ayup......

Sir_Leorik
2013-09-22, 01:09 AM

That's what all of the threads debating Vaarsuvius' actual gender are for! :smallwink:

Solse
2013-09-22, 07:46 AM
No, see, they're right!
At first, it's all wobbly random snarlyness and destroying people and gods and things.

But give it time, and it's able to start genuinely creating in a controlled and productive manner.
A world within the rift...

Finally! Someone who agrees with my theory! I've been saying that all along, but they said I was mad! THEY SAID I WAS MAD!!!

jogiff
2013-09-22, 04:11 PM
They aren't saying "celebrate the snarl." They're saying "celebrate the scribble." The Order of the Scribble sealed the Snarl within the gates so it makes sense for them use the Snarl as a representation of the Order of the Scribble.

Scow2
2013-09-22, 04:17 PM
They aren't saying "celebrate the snarl." They're saying "celebrate the scribble." The Order of the Scribble sealed the Snarl within the gates so it makes sense for them use the Snarl as a representation of the Order of the Scribble.This.

The museum is commemorating the heroes that have saved the world from snarly destruction.

Emanick
2013-09-22, 08:55 PM
Finally! Someone who agrees with my theory! I've been saying that all along, but they said I was mad! THEY SAID I WAS MAD!!!

I think this too! And I thought nobody else actually did, so I made a topic about my theory and apparently lots of people think the same way!

WE ARE VINDICATED.

allenw
2013-09-23, 09:12 AM
I think this too! And I thought nobody else actually did, so I made a topic about my theory and apparently lots of people think the same way!

WE ARE VINDICATED.

You're MAD! Mad, I tell you!

Irenaeus
2013-09-23, 03:28 PM
As a museum employee, I feel the need to come clean and say that we all believe in the rights for holes to exist, that we are tirelessly working on eradicating the female personal pronouns, that we celebrate the eldritch universe-devouring cosmic horror known as "The Scribble", and that we are going after your children first.

Also, we serve waffles.

Bulldog Psion
2013-09-23, 04:38 PM
Let the reaping commence!!!

(Not sure what that has to do with anything, I just wanted to say it.) :smallwink:

4here4
2013-09-24, 03:00 PM
I knew it. I totally knew it. All these times I've said that children's museums are part of an evil cabal and want to bring about the end times, no one listened. But, finally I have proof.

It has begun.

:smalleek:It has begun!:smalleek: