PDA

View Full Version : Is this feat too much ?

nonsi
2013-09-21, 01:52 PM
Eldritch Reattunement
Your quest to fully understand the potential of your heritage grants you access to powers usually beyond your practice.
Prerequisites: One or more Extra Invocation.
Benefits: Once every 24hrs, you may retrain one of your extra invocations into another invocation of the same level or lower on your class’ list that’s not in your repertoire. This process takes 10 minutes of uninterrupted meditation, can only be done after getting a good night’s sleep and lasts either until the next time you’re fully rested, fall unconscious or (if and when relevant) brought back from the dead.

Realms of Chaos
2013-09-21, 02:29 PM
It doesn't look too bad but the fact that many invocations have 24 hour durations kind of unsettles me with this feat. You can cast a buff invocation once and switch to something with utility 8 hours later.

With that said, doing so does make you vulnerable to dispel attempts and the 1/day restrictions does stop you from doing this on a mass scale.

On the other hand, this feat could allow you to gain theoretically full access to up to 3/4s of your class invocation list, which is a tremendous boost in power for invokers who are generally fixed in place.

On the other other hand. it would only do so at a pretty late level and only after spending at least three other feats on extra invocations, which may not be as bad.

I do kind of feel that this is really powerful as it grants a big benefit over time, allows more situational invocations to shine in a way that nothing else does, and may actually lessen the importance of filling every feat slot with extra invocation.

Realistically, though, letting lesser-used invocations see use may well be a good thing and people will still want as many invocations as possible as everyone gets far too few by default.

Yeah, I see why you're having a hard time with this feat. I think that this feat is most definitely the equivalent of natural spell or divine metamagic for invocation-users, though whether that's a good thing or not really depends on your own power views.

ironwizard
2013-09-21, 03:19 PM
Add a caveat that if you retrain out an invocation, it's effect ends immediately (if applicable) and I think it's fine.

nonsi
2013-09-21, 03:37 PM
Add a caveat that if you retrain out an invocation, it's effect ends immediately (if applicable) and I think it's fine.
I'll do that.

@RoC: had it been but a single feat toll, I'd say it might qualify as an equivalent. But the fact that you pay 4 feats to gain full benefit and that you have to prepare it ahead of time (meaning you're not even sure you're gonna benefit from it at all, just like any prepared spell) suddenly makes me somewhat more comfortable with it ATM.
So, until someone points out a significant power breach, I'm adding it to the DFD's list of feats.

Thanks to both of you for the feedback.

Zaydos
2013-09-21, 06:30 PM
As written if you retrain an Extra Invocation into one of a lower grade you permanently lower the maximum grade of it.

I made a similar ability for a class (put it at 19th level and people have pointed out I should have given it to them earlier in stages and I think they're right) and this is more limited (only those granted by feats instead of any granted by the class and not feats) so I'd say it's probably fine as a feat (with the suggested caveat).

nonsi
2013-09-22, 06:14 AM
As written if you retrain an Extra Invocation into one of a lower grade you permanently lower the maximum grade of it.

How should it be rephrased to prevent this interpretation?

I'd say it's probably fine as a feat (with the suggested caveat).

Already in the DFD OP.

Zaydos
2013-09-22, 01:46 PM
How should it be rephrased to prevent this interpretation?

I'm not completely sure (I left mine awkward too). You could either just let it be any invocation you could take Extra Invocation for at your current level (a buff) or something noting the highest grade invocation that you had available when taking the Extra Invocation feat (more awkward to word but not as powerful).

nonsi
2013-09-22, 09:19 PM
I'm not completely sure (I left mine awkward too). You could either just let it be any invocation you could take Extra Invocation for at your current level (a buff) or something noting the highest grade invocation that you had available when taking the Extra Invocation feat (more awkward to word but not as powerful).

I believe I handled that problem by rephrasing (in the DFD thread) as follows: "you may temporarily lose access to one of your extra invocations in order to gain access to another invocation of the same level or lower..."

Silva Stormrage
2013-10-16, 09:41 PM
Ya I agree, Warlocks and DFA's won't be broken with this feat and as a DM I would easily allow this.

nonsi
2013-10-17, 12:47 PM
Ya I agree, Warlocks and DFA's won't be broken with this feat and as a DM I would easily allow this.

Incidently, this feat also has an elder brother (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15976126).