PDA

View Full Version : TWF Goliath Phalanx Fighter

Otep
2013-09-21, 02:09 PM
So questions regarding rules...
Goliath allows you to use large weapons.... so i have semi-specific questions

1) Can I use a Spiked large heavy shield for shield bash? are there any RAW i've missed? thus far i know damage increases and double the weight.... anything else i should be aware of?

2) if i make the above shield a Mithrial shield, dose it reduce the damage for making it lighter?
2a) does this effect Phalanx Fighting that states you must use a heavy shield and a light weapon?

3) for using the shields stated above and a light weapon for the main hand, how does this effect TWF? or, is there ANY rule (or lack there of) for using the shield in my main hand and the light weapon in the off hand?

4) any questions, comments or concerns?

Darrin
2013-09-21, 03:53 PM
1) Can I use a Spiked large heavy shield for shield bash? are there any RAW i've missed? thus far i know damage increases and double the weight.... anything else i should be aware of?

This counts as a one-handed weapon. If you make it your offhand weapon, it's not a light weapon so your TWF penalties would be -4/-4.

There's a rules issue over whether or not you can shield bash as your primary attack, since the shield description makes it sound like you can only make a shield bash as an offhand attack. However... long story short, it's not a good idea to read the rules that literally, so just say shield bashes can be primary or offhand.

If the heavy shield bash is primary and your offhand is light, then your TWF penalties are -2/-2.

2) if i make the above shield a Mithrial shield, dose it reduce the damage for making it lighter?

No, in general, the material a weapon is made out of has no effect on how much effort/hands it takes to wield it. (There might be a couple exceptions, but they probably aren't worth going into right now.)

2a) does this effect Phalanx Fighting that states you must use a heavy shield and a light weapon?

Affect = verb, effect = noun. Mithral weapons/shields would not affect the effects of Phalanx Fighting, so long as you are fighting with a heavy shield and light weapon.

3) for using the shields stated above and a light weapon for the main hand, how does this effect TWF? or, is there ANY rule (or lack there of) for using the shield in my main hand and the light weapon in the off hand?

If your offhand is light, TWF penalties are -2/-2. If your offhand is not light (and a heavy shield is considered a one-handed weapon), TWF penalties are -4/-4.

If you take Agile Shield Fighter, your TWF penalties become -2/-2, even if your offhand is a heavy shield. The Agile Shield Fighter penalties replace the TWF penalties.

By RAW, we have no clear indication that you can make a shield bash as a primary attack. However, there are lots of rules that treat shields just like any other weapon, and there's no explicit rule that shield bashes can't be primary. It's quite possible to get into a very long argument about this, but the only real solution is "whatever works for your group."

4) any questions, comments or concerns?

See handbook link in my sig.

Otep
2013-09-21, 04:19 PM
thank you ^^ i'll read through your TWF link