PDA

View Full Version : [Monster] Dagite (Please check and Review)

Callos_DeTerran
2006-12-26, 10:40 PM
Dagites
Size/Type: Small Outsider [Chaotic ,Evil, Extraplanar, Aquatic]
Hit Dice: 4d12+8 (48 HP)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 40ft. (8 squares), swim 40ft. (8 squares)
Armor Class: 20 (+6 natural, +3 Dex, +1 size)
Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+6
Attack: +10 tentacle (1d6-1 piercing), or ranged bite +10 (1d4-1 piercing)
Full Attack: +10 tentacle (1d6-1 piercing), or ranged bite +10 (1d4-1 piercing)
Space/Reach:.5ft./5ft. (30 ft. with bite)
Special Attacks: swallow whole
Special Qualities: alien resilience, resistance to fire 5, cold 5, and electric 5, amphibious, empathy
Saves: Fort +6, Reflex +7, Will +4
Abilities: Str 13, Dex 16, Con 15, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 8
Skills: Balance +10, Climb +6, Hide +10, Jump +6, Search +7, Spot +7, Swim +6
Feats: Improved GrabB, Weapon Finesse, Improved Natural Attack
Environment: Shadow Sea
Organization: Solitary, Pack (4-9), or Hive (89)
Challenge Rating: 6
Treasure: None
Alignment: Chaotic Evil

Out of the water emerged a slick, featureless creature that has the same general shape of a hound. It’s skin is sickly green with patches of darker green, hard scales cover it’s “head” and trail down its spine. Both of it’s legs look as if they had been put on backwards but these are hardly the most striking of features. Aside from the trail and helmet of scales no defining features mark the beast. No eyes or ears or anything of the like mar its absurd perfection, only four gills on each side of it’s head disturbed this. Towards the rear a muscular tentacle flops and twitches wetly, a bony protrusion at the very end, not unlike a harpoon. With a sickly splurching noise, an unnoticed small hole beneath the helmet opens revealing a lamprey like mouth fill with long translucent fangs. Soon the dark green of the gums is showing as the…the thing gave a horrible rictus of a grin. This was only seconds before it scrunched up and shot that disturbing orifice away from it’s body no unlike a frog lashing out its tongue…except this tongue had the creature’s mouth on the end. With a snap those wicked teeth closed on my thirteenth assistant’s head. Though he struggled mightily the creature’s muscular action pulled his thrashing body in before the mouth snapped back into it’s body. The “meal” inflated its form much like those skins filled with air sold at festivals and with a wet sounding burp the Dagite waddled back into the scummy pool in it’s cage to digest and swim. I had warned him to throw the goat into the cage and not go in himself. Apparently I need to raise my hiring standards.
-Callos DeTerran
The Menagerie of Insanity

Few beings know of the mighty Dagon who swims through the dark and terrible depths of the Shadow Sea on the 89th layer of the Abyss. However planar travelers and scholars would be hard pressed to not have seen word of his horrible offspring. Sometime in the ancient past Dagon lost a furious battle with Demogorgon, the Prince of Demons, and one of his broken fangs drifted in that dark sea until it came into contact with a necroclasm. Some reaction took place and the fang broke apart into hundreds, if not thousands, of Dagite “tadpoles”. No one knows how many survived that first birthing but the resultant horde of creatures imply many grew to adulthood. Now they plague any of the evil water ways of the Abyss they can reach and occasionally are summoned to the Material to by the Cult of Dagon to wreak havoc. The vicious little monsters are quick to attack any source of heat around them, figuring it to be something edible and usually devouring it even if its not. Seen as a plague they always seem to hungry unless there is a creature currently in its stomach at that exact moment. No matter how long they know another non-Dagite, they can never be said to be truly domesticated though they will hesitate before attacking if their “friend” comes bearing food for them. Dagites understand Abyssal and Common.

Combat:
Dagite’s make for very confusing adversaries as their natural insanity directs them towards odd actions. While they clearly are quite capable of swallowing larger creatures whole they prefer to swim up (or walk up) to their prey and stab with their tentacles until at some point, which only Dagite’s seem to recognize, they decide to swallow their prey. Groups of the little monsters are quick to gang up on larger foes, unwilling to let their brethren take what is theirs. Usually the surprise of a Dagite extending its maw to attack its prey is enough to give it a significant advantage.

Improved Grab: If a creature with this special attack hits with a melee weapon (usually a claw or bite attack), it deals normal damage and attempts to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. No initial touch attack is required. Unless otherwise noted, improved grab works only against opponents at least one size category smaller than the creature. The creature has the option to conduct the grapple normally, or simply use the part of its body it used in the improved grab to hold the opponent. If it chooses to do the latter, it takes a -20 penalty on grapple checks, but is not considered grappled itself; the creature does not lose its Dexterity bonus to AC, still threatens an area, and can use its remaining attacks against other opponents. When a creature gets a hold after an improved grab attack, it pulls the opponent into its space. This act does not provoke attacks of opportunity. It can even move (possibly carrying away the opponent), provided it can drag the opponent’s weight.
Swallow Whole: If it makes a successful grapple check against a grabbed opponent their size, smaller, or only one size larger, it swallows them. Each turn, it takes bludgeoning damage and acid damage from the digestive juices of the Dagite. While inside of a Dagite’s stomach a swallowed creature takes 1d8+3 points of bludgeoning plus 1d6 acid damage. To escape, the creature must deal 20 points of damage to the Dagite’s interior (AC14) with a light slashing or piercing weapon, after which they are freed, and the hole seals behind them. A Dagite can hold two creatures equal to its size at one time – smaller creatures count as ¼ that of the next largest size. Due to the absurdity of their creation and creator, Dagites possess an unnaturally large stomach and muscular action that can contain a creature one size category larger then them. While such a creature is swallowed a Dagite is considered flat-footed and loses it’s Dex bonus to AC, Reflex saves, and any skills involving Dexterity. Their speed on land and in the water is also cut in half due to the enormity of their meal.

Alien Resilience: Dagon’s inadvertent blessing on his offspring has resulted in the strange creatures being far more resilient then others of their kind. Notably the fact that a Dagite will continue fighting long after it should be dead. This changes an outsider's normal d8 to a d12 HD for the Dagites.

Empathy: Dagites don't possess the biological functions for speech or telepathy but have developed a...method of communicating with each other, care-takers, or other abberations. While it cannot be called speech a Dagite can convey complex and simple emotions to nearby creatures. (60 ft. radius)

__________________________________________________ ______________

And here is my first ever submission of a monster! Please enjoy. Also I would like a good CR suggestion for the little beastie since I'm stumped by it. And I realize it should probably be an abberation but Dagon isn't, so why should his offspring? See what I mean?

King_of_GRiffins
2006-12-28, 03:38 PM
Hit Dice: 4d12+8 (48 HP)
Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+4
Attack: +10 tentacle (1d4-1 piercing), or ranged bite +10 (1d4-1 piercing)
Full Attack: +10 tentacle (1d6-1 piercing), or ranged bite +10 (1d6-1 piercing)
Special Qualities: alien resilience,
Saves: Fort +3, Reflex +4, Will +4
Skills: Climb +0, Search +2, Spot +2
Challenge Rating:
As an outsider, its HD type should be d8, making it 4d8+12 (26hp).
It's base attack should be equal to its hitdie.
You seem to have switched damage die suddenly; You added an extra point to hit somewhere.
What does alien resilience do? It should have darkvision 60ft. On that note,

No eyes or ears or anything of the likeHow does it see? Give it blindsight 60ft of something.
All of its saves should be good; F +6; R +7; W +4
It has far too few skills; With an int of 8, it should have 49.
I'd set the CR at four to six

Overall, I like the monster; It would make a good horde encounter for a mid level party. It definitely fits the creepy feeling when I think about.

Callos_DeTerran
2006-12-28, 03:46 PM
As an outsider, its HD type should be d8, making it 4d8+12 (26hp).

It orginally started off as an abberation but alien resilience is the ability that boosts it to 4d12+8. Alien Resilience changes its Hit Die to d12.

How does it see? Give it blindsight 60ft of something.
All of its saves should be good; F +6; R +7; W +4

I said it doesn't have visible eyes but good point. Blindsight isn't exactly a far stretch. And I don't want it to have too many skills. Its not exactly in the right mental state to be able to use skills very often.

Overall, I like the monster; It would make a good horde encounter for a mid level party. It definitely fits the creepy feeling when I think about.

Thankies.