PDA

View Full Version : Mage of the Midnight Coven: 3.5 Homebrew PrC

TheFamilarRaven
2013-09-21, 03:56 PM
Edit: Skip to here
Mage of the Midnight Coven
for the full Class table and fleshed out abilities

Ok, so this is one of my first posts, just thought I'd get that out of the way. Now let me get to why I'm posting.

Basically, I am running a 3.5 homebrew campaign world that's constantly evolving as I run campaigns through it. My most recent endeavor has been to create campaign specific Prestige Classes to flavor the world. I have already created two, but this one I need a little help on.

My goal is to create a mage PrC that focuses on necromancy, not the undead part of necromancy, but the negative energy part of necromancy. Now I know there's tons of spells like vampiric touch and enervate that do some pretty neat stuff, and also there's the Dread Necromancer class (which I found out about today day) that has a lot of negative energy abilities, but since this is a prestige class, I want to take abilities like that a step further, and add some new unique abilities as well.

So what I am really asking for is for input and suggestions for abilities or requirements for the prestige class.
Here are some I came up with (without mechanics yet)

-Lifedraining ray that heals caster and has a chance to paralyze victim
-Eventual immunity to negative energy
-Ability to empower (that is to say augment, not the meta-magic feat :smalltongue:) certain (or all) necromancy spells.
-Ability to summon dark hands which grapple and (if successful) drag the victim into the negative energy plane, draining them of levels while healing the caster until they either escape or die (subsequently turning into a wraith under the caster's control). Yes this was inspired by MTG :smallsmile:
- 1 of the requirements: You must be a member of the midnight coven (duh!)

If you any cool ideas on what to add to this class. or suggestions for books for me to look up. Or if there's already a class similar to this that I can look up. Please let me know. I don't have all of the 3.5 books so if there is one in particular that I should look into let me know, I can probably get it.

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks! :smallsmile:

Amnoriath
2013-09-21, 07:25 PM
Ok, so this is one of my first posts, just thought I'd get that out of the way. Now let me get to why I'm posting.

Basically, I am running a 3.5 homebrew campaign world that's constantly evolving as I run campaigns through it. My most recent endeavor has been to create campaign specific Prestige Classes to flavor the world. I have already created two, but this one I need a little help on.

My goal is to create a mage PrC that focuses on necromancy, not the undead part of necromancy, but the negative energy part of necromancy. Now I know there's tons of spells like vampiric touch and enervate that do some pretty neat stuff, and also there's the Dread Necromancer class (which I found out about today day) that has a lot of negative energy abilities, but since this is a prestige class, I want to take abilities like that a step further, and add some new unique abilities as well.

So what I am really asking for is for input and suggestions for abilities or requirements for the prestige class.
Here are some I came up with (without mechanics yet)

-Lifedraining ray that heals caster and has a chance to paralyze victim
-Eventual immunity to negative energy
-Ability to empower (that is to say augment, not the meta-magic feat :smalltongue:) certain (or all) necromancy spells.
-Ability to summon dark hands which grapple and (if successful) drag the victim into the negative energy plane, draining them of levels while healing the caster until they either escape or die (subsequently turning into a wraith under the caster's control). Yes this was inspired by MTG :smallsmile:
- 1 of the requirements: You must be a member of the midnight coven (duh!)

If you any cool ideas on what to add to this class. or suggestions for books for me to look up. Or if there's already a class similar to this that I can look up. Please let me know. I don't have all of the 3.5 books so if there is one in particular that I should look into let me know, I can probably get it.

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks! :smallsmile:
The Tomb-tainted soul feat allows for people to be healed by negative energy. An obvious ability is for them be able to spontaneously cast the inflict line of spells as a cleric. If they already spontaneously cast they automatically know these spells at the appropriate level. Personally, only one of these abilities should effectively heal you while you damage them. It otherwise can get really repetitive and may show lack of creativity as well as diversity. Finally, replicating almost all of the effects of the negative energy plane would solidify the role as a debuffer.

TheFamilarRaven
2013-09-21, 08:54 PM
The Tomb-tainted soul feat allows for people to be healed by negative energy. An obvious ability is for them be able to spontaneously cast the inflict line of spells as a cleric. If they already spontaneously cast they automatically know these spells at the appropriate level. Personally, only one of these abilities should effectively heal you while you damage them. It otherwise can get really repetitive and may show lack of creativity as well as diversity.

So you're saying that with the feat, the ray ability to inflict damage and heal is a little redundant?
So if I make the feat tomb-Tainted soul a requirement for the class, then give them the ability to spontaneously cast Inflict spells, I could modify that class feature over the course of level progression to upgrade to a ray attack (considering the meta-magic feast increases the spell slot), and then add on a paralysis effect. That still leaves me with other abilities to come up with but its a start. Thanks you

Finally, replicating almost all of the effects of the negative energy plane would solidify the role as a debuffer.

My intent for this PrC was for them to primarily be a support/debuffer, as many of the necromancy spells are debuff. However, considering that, Im ight as well say, "just make a wizard/necromancer". That's the main reason I posted this, because I want to create a PrC for my campaign world, but at the same time I want it to be worthwhile to play.

Thanks for your input

Amnoriath
2013-09-21, 09:08 PM
So you're saying that with the feat, the ray ability to inflict damage and heal is a little redundant?
So if I make the feat tomb-Tainted soul a requirement for the class, then give them the ability to spontaneously cast Inflict spells, I could modify that class feature over the course of level progression to upgrade to a ray attack (considering the meta-magic feast increases the spell slot), and then add on a paralysis effect. That still leaves me with other abilities to come up with but its a start. Thanks you

My intent for this PrC was for them to primarily be a support/debuffer, as many of the necromancy spells are debuff. However, considering that, Im ight as well say, "just make a wizard/necromancer". That's the main reason I posted this, because I want to create a PrC for my campaign world, but at the same time I want it to be worthwhile to play.

Thanks for your input

1. Yes, nicely done
2. Not necessarily, I was thinking more along the lines of impeding healing magic in a certain area. Well you are going to have to describe your world because really there isn't anything in negative energy that buffs people unless they're undead.

TheFamilarRaven
2013-09-22, 03:00 PM
1. Yes, nicely done
2. Not necessarily, I was thinking more along the lines of impeding healing magic in a certain area. Well you are going to have to describe your world because really there isn't anything in negative energy that buffs people unless they're undead.

I see, that makes more sense. As far as the negative (and positive) energy plane is concerned, think of any emotion (hatred, rage etc.) that seem negative, in my campaign emotions = energy, (for instance, sorcerers learn to cast spells through force of personality and utilizing the proper emotion, which usually translates to "hey, I wanna blow stuff up"), so the negative energy plane consists of negative emotions that harm people.

And you gave me two awesome ideas now that I just wrote that... 1 is that if I think about the negative energy plane as a life-draining plane of negative emotions, then this class should be able to manipulate those emotions against
enemies. For instance
-She can cause an enemy(ies) to go into a blind rage, giving them the benefit of the Rage spell, but causing them to attack the nearest creature to them, even allies
-Also, she can temporarily "taint" a target(s) temporarily with negative energy, causing them to be harmed but positive energy and healed by negative energy.
-She can also lay down an AoE of negative energy, which temporarily takes on the traits of the negative energy plane (i.e reduced healing, all negative spells are maximized.)
- I still like the hands of darkness dragging people away though ... i want to keep that just on the principle of it looking cool, unless there's already a spell that does that, but the only spell that comes to mind is Imprisonment.

Thanks again, hopefully I'll have enough idea to actually make the class and post it ... right after I figure out how to make tables ...

Dagul Thor'Nix
2013-09-22, 03:17 PM
This is cool I like necromancy class ideas so my two cents= I enjoy the idea of life bending to the necromancers will so... Instead of just the usual undeath control, you could work in the idea of life from nothing. Animate constructs and other innanimate objects with dark energy.

Also with the whole emotion=energy thing that would convert to the pathfinder idea of having pools of energy that are expended and refilled based on PC actions. ala a Hatred Pool or something of the like.

The idea of blighting is also cool for necros i.e. fluff stuff like the ability to regen hp for a few rounds by draining the energy from the ground or the place she's in, you know the trees wither and die the grass turns brown and the air cold, stuff like that.

You could also explore the poison route, usually reserved for rogues and assassins but I've always thrown around the idea of being able to add poison sto spells.

Also buffed summon monster spells are a decent necromancer staple.

All of this is theory based so do with it what you will!

Zakaroth
2013-09-22, 04:37 PM
You could give a capstone ability along the lines of; once per day you can summon a rift to the negative energy plane. Everyone within X ft. must make a Reflex save or become clutched by ghostly hands, immobilizing/slowing them and instilling a negative level each round. After Y rounds, grappled foes must make a Will save or be dragged into the negative energy plane.

TheFamilarRaven
2013-09-22, 07:12 PM
All of those are good ideas. right now I have a pretty good idea for what the class abilites will be so i should be posting a full draft of the class soon.

ArcturusV
2013-09-22, 07:52 PM
Hmm.

Well, I'll take a crack at this request. A short level PrC focused on Necromancy (But not Undead). Let me know if you like what I'm cooking up here:

Mage of the Midnight Coven:

Mages of the Midnight Coven seek power in the darker reaches of the human spirit. They tap into the latent energies of Rage, Avarice, Lust, and Destructive emotions that form the matter of the Negative Energy plane, learning to channel these forces in sublime and masterful ways.

Prerequisites:
Able to cast 3rd level Arcane spells.
Knowledge (The Planes): 8 ranks
Must Undergo a Rite with the Midnight Coven to prove your ability to channel and survive the forces you seek to control.

Class Skills:
Bluff, Concentration, Craft, Decipher Script, Intimidate, Knowledge (Arcana), Knowledge (The Planes), Sense Motive, and Spellcraft.

Skill Points per level: 2 + Int Modifier
Hit Dice: d4

Poor BaB advancement, Poor Reflex and Fort Save, Good Will Save progression.

Proficiencies: Mages of the Midnight Coven do not gain any additional weapon or armor proficiencies.

Mage of the Midnight Coven is a PrC consisting of 3 levels.

Spellcasting:

Each level of Mage of the Midnight Coven adds +1 level to an existing Arcane Spellcaster progression of the character. Said character gains the spell slots, spells known, and spells per day of their previous class, but does not gain any other benefits of that class. e.g.: A Wizard 8/Mage of the Midnight Coven 2 casts spells as a Wizard 10, but does not gain a Metamagic/Item creation feat, the BaB, or Saves of the Wizard class.)

Bound to Darkness:

A first level Mage of the Midnight Coven gains the Tomb-Tainted Soul feat for free.

A Mage of the Midnight Coven learns to cast the Inflict Spells (With your access determined by your Arcane Caster level counting as Cleric Levels) automatically upon taking the first level of this class (Spells are added for free to a spellbook, or in the case of a spontaneous caster are counted as "Spells Known" but do not take up any of your spells known slot).

Conduit to Torment:

A first level Mage of the Midnight Coven is adept at tapping into and channeling the raw forces of the Negative Energy Plane. At first level a Mage of the Midnight Coven gains a Touch Attack that may be shared with a Familiar (Via Share Touch Spells ability). This touch attack inflicts 1d4 temporary damage to a stat of the Mage's Choice, Dexterity, Strength, or Constitution. The Mage of the Midnight Coven chooses which stat to effect upon taking his/her first level of Mage of the Midnight Coven, all uses of this ability will always effect that stat.

Dark Feeding:

A second level Mage of the Midnight Coven learns not only to share misery with the dark energy, but to draw greater strength from it. Anytime you successfully damage a target with Conduit of Torment, you may gain temporary stat points equal to the damage inflicted. All stat points from a single attack must be applied to the same stat. Temporary stat points do not stack (e.g.: You used Conduit of Torment and inflicted 3 damage to a target. You put 3 points into your Dex. Next round you inflicted 2 damage to a target. If you put this into Dex, nothing would happen). Temporary stat points are lost first, in the case of stat damage. Temporary stat points last for 10 minutes.

Ebb of the Dark Plane:

A second level Mage of the Midnight Coven may apply the effects of Maximize Spell Metamagic on any spell or spell like ability he casts which inflicts negative energy damage, stat damage, or negative levels, for no adjustment in Casting Time or Spell Level, a number of times per day equal to his Constitution Modifier (Minimum 1) (Note: If your Constitution is raised temporarily by Dark Feeding this does give you additional uses. However those uses are counted even after the temporary Constitution points disappear. E.g: If you have a 16 Con normally, you can use Ebb of the Dark Plane 3 times per day. If you gain 2 Con from Dark Feeding you can gain another use of Ebb of the Dark Plane while you have those temporary Con points. However if later in the same day you gain 3 Con points from another Dark Feeding, it does not grant you another use of Ebb of the Dark Plane. If you gained +4 Con, you would gain one additional use however). A Mage of the Midnight Coven may use this ability even if they do not have the Maximize Spell Metamagic feat.

Living Beacon of Darkness:

A third level Mage of the Midnight Coven is now not just a conduit for Negative Energy, but an open portal and beacon that calls it out. 1/day a Mage of the Midnight Coven becoming a beacon to the Negative Energy Plane which has the following effects within a 50' radius around the Mage of the Midnight Coven for a number of rounds equal to his/her constitution bonus (minimum 1):

Living creatures (Without Tomb-Tainted Soul or similar affinity/immunity to Negative Energy): Suffer a -4 penalty to all dice rolls, Armor Class, Spell Resistance. Creatures with less HD than you within the area are shaken.

Creatures with Negative Energy Affinity (Undead, Tomb-Tainted Soul, and similar effects which make you gain benefits from negative energy): Gain Fast Healing 5, Dice Rolls receive a +4 Profane Bonus. Receives a +4 Deflection bonus to AC. Any spells or abilities that inflict Stat Damage, Negative Levels, or use Negative Energy that they use is Empowered (As per the Metamagic Feat) for free.

A Mage of the Midnight Coven may end this effect early with a standard action. If they do so, every Living Creature (Without Immunity or Affinity to Negative Energy) within 50 feet is effected by Conduit to Torment (You gain the benefits of Dark Feeding for each one). Creatures with Affinity to Negative energy (Are healed by Inflict Spells, Undead, etc) within the area are healed for 200 HP.

Simple, three levels. Better than straight Wizard of course. Not sure HOW much better compared to other PrC options but at least fits the general flavoring of using Negative Energy rather than Undead Creation.

TheFamilarRaven
2013-09-22, 11:46 PM
Mage of the Midnight Coven:

Mages of the Midnight Coven seek power in the darker reaches of the human spirit. They tap into the latent energies of Rage, Avarice, Lust, and Destructive emotions that form the matter of the Negative Energy plane, learning to channel these forces in sublime and masterful ways.

I want to say I hate you, because you summed up the class so perfectly here, while I'm spending an hour trying to come up with a cool intro :smallsmile:

Prerequisites:
Able to cast 3rd level Arcane spells.
Knowledge (The Planes): 8 ranks
Must Undergo a Rite with the Midnight Coven to prove your ability to channel and survive the forces you seek to control.

I like how you came up with the pre-reqs too, I was thinking exactly along the same lines, only I required ranks in Knowledge arcana, and Spell focus (necromancy). and of course an alignment requirement
of any non-good

Class Skills:
Bluff, Concentration, Craft, Decipher Script, Intimidate, Knowledge (Arcana), Knowledge (The Planes), Sense Motive, and Spellcraft.

Hit Dice: d4

Poor BaB advancement, Poor Reflex and Fort Save, Good Will Save progression.

Proficiencies: Mages of the Midnight Coven do not gain any additional weapon or armor proficiencies.

Thanks for reminding me about this stuff, i always assume caster classes have no weapon and armor, I always forget to add it to the class game rule information

Bound to Darkness:

A first level Mage of the Midnight Coven gains the Tomb-Tainted Soul feat for free.

A Mage of the Midnight Coven learns to cast the Inflict Spells (With your access determined by your Arcane Caster level counting as Cleric Levels) automatically upon taking the first level of this class (Spells are added for free to a spellbook, or in the case of a spontaneous caster are counted as "Spells Known" but do not take up any of your spells known slot).

First off let me say, I enjoy everyone of the ability names you came up with. If I can't think of anything better (which I don't think I will be able to) I might just use those.
I like how you put everything in clear and defined game terms, with no room for confusion. I'm still liking the idea of turning inflict spells into rays at no cost, so I might make that a progression in the class.

Conduit to Torment:

A first level Mage of the Midnight Coven is adept at tapping into and channeling the raw forces of the Negative Energy Plane. At first level a Mage of the Midnight Coven gains a Touch Attack that may be shared with a Familiar (Via Share Touch Spells ability). This touch attack inflicts 1d4 temporary damage to a stat of the Mage's Choice, Dexterity, Strength, or Constitution. The Mage of the Midnight Coven chooses which stat to effect upon taking his/her first level of Mage of the Midnight Coven, all uses of this ability will always effect that stat.

I also like this ability, and maybe I'll make this turn into a ray instead of simple inflcit spells, or maybe I just like rays too much!

Dark Feeding:

A second level Mage of the Midnight Coven learns not only to share misery with the dark energy, but to draw greater strength from it. Anytime you successfully damage a target with Conduit of Torment, you may gain temporary stat points equal to the damage inflicted. All stat points from a single attack must be applied to the same stat. Temporary stat points do not stack (e.g.: You used Conduit of Torment and inflicted 3 damage to a target. You put 3 points into your Dex. Next round you inflicted 2 damage to a target. If you put this into Dex, nothing would happen). Temporary stat points are lost first, in the case of stat damage. Temporary stat points last for 10 minutes.

awesome, I might also expand this to affect inflict spells as well to grant temporary HP.

Ebb of the Dark Plane:

A second level Mage of the Midnight Coven may apply the effects of Maximize Spell Metamagic on any spell or spell like ability he casts which inflicts negative energy damage, stat damage, or negative levels, for no adjustment in Casting Time or Spell Level, a number of times per day equal to his Constitution Modifier (Minimum 1) (Note: If your Constitution is raised temporarily by Dark Feeding this does give you additional uses. However those uses are counted even after the temporary Constitution points disappear. E.g: If you have a 16 Con normally, you can use Ebb of the Dark Plane 3 times per day. If you gain 2 Con from Dark Feeding you can gain another use of Ebb of the Dark Plane while you have those temporary Con points. However if later in the same day you gain 3 Con points from another Dark Feeding, it does not grant you another use of Ebb of the Dark Plane. If you gained +4 Con, you would gain one additional use however). A Mage of the Midnight Coven may use this ability even if they do not have the Maximize Spell Metamagic feat.

Before I was considering a same ability but only in a certain area of effect. I like this because it gives the Mage more power, especially since the maximize it at no additional cost

A third level Mage of the Midnight Coven is now not just a conduit for Negative Energy, but an open portal and beacon that calls it out. 1/day a Mage of the Midnight Coven becoming a beacon to the Negative Energy Plane which has the following effects within a 50' radius around the Mage of the Midnight Coven for a number of rounds equal to his/her constitution bonus (minimum 1):

Living creatures (Without Tomb-Tainted Soul or similar affinity/immunity to Negative Energy): Suffer a -4 penalty to all dice rolls, Armor Class, Spell Resistance. Creatures with less HD than you within the area are shaken.

Creatures with Negative Energy Affinity (Undead, Tomb-Tainted Soul, and similar effects which make you gain benefits from negative energy): Gain Fast Healing 5, Dice Rolls receive a +4 Profane Bonus. Receives a +4 Deflection bonus to AC. Any spells or abilities that inflict Stat Damage, Negative Levels, or use Negative Energy that they use is Empowered (As per the Metamagic Feat) for free.

A Mage of the Midnight Coven may end this effect early with a standard action. If they do so, every Living Creature (Without Immunity or Affinity to Negative Energy) within 50 feet is effected by Conduit to Torment (You gain the benefits of Dark Feeding for each one). Creatures with Affinity to Negative energy (Are healed by Inflict Spells, Undead, etc) within the area are healed for 200 HP.

This is a better capstone ability than what I had in mind (though I still like the hands dragging people their death), my only concern is that it seems a little over-powered for the ECL you get it at (which if i'm not mistaken, is 8)

Simple, three levels. Better than straight Wizard of course. Not sure HOW much better compared to other PrC options but at least fits the general flavoring of using Negative Energy rather than Undead Creation.

You hit the nail right on the head with this. You made me realize that since it's striclty negative energy, the prestige class should be pretty concise (not the 10 level class I was originally thinking of). I might expand it to 5 levels instead of three, to make room for some ability progression

TheFamilarRaven
2013-09-23, 12:48 AM
Here's what I have so far for a the 5 level PrC, Mage of the Midnight Coven.

Mages of the Midnight Coven devote themselves to the study and mastery of the Negative Energy Plane. By harnessing the powers of Anger, Malice, Fear, Greed, and other dark emotions which make up that plane, they unleash waves of pain and misery upon their foes.

In order to qualify to be a Mage of the Midnight Coven you must meet the following prerequisites:
-Ability to cast 3rd level arcane spells
- 8 ranks in Knowledge (the planes), 8 ranks in Knowledge (arcana), 5 ranks in Spellcraft
- Feats: Spell focus (Necromancy)
- Any non-good
-Special: Must survive the rite of initiation to become of member of the Midnight Coven

Game rule information.

Class Skills:

Hitdice: d4

Mages of the Midnight Coven have poor BaB, Fort and reflex save progressions. While they have good Will save progressions.

Proficiencies: Mages of the Midnight Coven do not recieve any armor or weapon proficiency

Spellcasting:

Every level of Mage of the Midnight Coven adds +1 to the regular spell progression of any previous arcane class, (i.e spells known/spells per day) but does not give you the benefit of any class features they may have gotten at that level. Example, 9th level Wizard/1st level MoMC gains the class features of a Mage of the Midnight Coven and the spells of a 10th level wizard, but not the bonus feat a 10th level wizard would have gotten.

Bound to Darkness:

In addition, the influence of the dark plane is visible on the body of a Mage of the Midnight Coven, as Mage of the Midnight coven gains more levels of this class, her skin becomes paler, the iris of her eyes either become black as obsidian, a pale grey or red as blood and her body becomes cold to the touch. In some rare cases, Mages of the Midnight Coven develop a preference for bitter tasting food, or some even loose their sense of taste altogether.

Conduit to Torment:

A first level Mage of the Midnight Coven is adept at tapping into, and channeling the raw forces of the Negative Energy Plane. At first level a Mage of the Midnight Coven gains a Touch Attack that may be shared with a Familiar (Via Share Touch Spells ability). This touch attack inflicts 1d4 temporary damage to a stat of the Mage's Choice, Dexterity, Strength, or Constitution. The Mage of the Midnight Coven chooses which stat to effect upon taking his/her first level of Mage of the Midnight Coven, all uses of this ability will always effect that stat.

Dark Feeding:

A second level Mage of the Midnight Coven learns not only to share misery with the dark energy, but to draw greater strength from it. Anytime she successfully damage a target with Conduit of Torment or Inflict Spells, she gains temporary stat points (or Hit points, respectively) equal to the damage inflicted. All stat points from a single attack must be applied to the same stat. Temporary stat and hit points do not stack (e.g.: Sharia used Conduit of Torment and inflicted 3 DEX damage to a target. You put 3 points into your Dex. Next round she inflicted 2 DEX damage to a target. If she put this into Dex, nothing would happen). Temporary points are lost first, in the case of stat damage and hit point loss. Temporary stat/hit points last for (Mage of the Midnight Coven levels x CON mod) minutes.

Spread the Taint:

At third level, a Mage of the Midnight Coven can bestow the corrupting essence of the negative plane to willing subjects within 30ft of her. Subjects take a temporary -2 penalty to their CON, but are considered to have the feat, Tomb-Tainted Soul for the duration of the effect. The effect lasts 24 hours, or unless they succeed a FORT save (DC =15) to expel the taint.
In addition, Clerics, or other caster who can spontaneously cast Cure spells, can now only spontaneously cast Inflict spells for the duration of the effect. Undergoing this taint is considered profane, any good aligned creatures who subject themselves to the corruption have their alignment shifted to neutral.

Black Reach:

At 3rd level The Mage of the Midnight Coven may now cast any of her inflict spells as rays (range of close, 25ft +5 per 2 caster levels), at no additional spell slot cost or casting time increase. Arcane caster levels stack to determine the range of the rays.

Harbinger of Misery

A fourth level Mage of the Midnight Coven may apply the effects of Maximize Spell Metamagic on any spell or spell like ability she casts which inflicts negative energy damage, stat damage, or negative levels, for no adjustment in Casting Time or Spell Level, a number of times per day equal to her Constitution Modifier (Minimum 1) (Note: If your Constitution is raised temporarily by Dark Feeding this does give you additional uses. However those uses are counted even after the temporary Constitution points disappear. E.g: If Sharia has a 16 Con normally, she can use Harbinger of Misery 3 times per day. If she gains 2 Con from Dark Feeding, she can gain another use of harbinger of Misery while she has those temporary Con points. However if later in the same day she gain 3 Con points from another Dark Feeding, it does not grant you another use of Harbinger of Misery. If she gained +4 Con, Sharia would gain one additional use however). A Mage of the Midnight Coven may use this ability even if they do not have the Maximize Spell Metamagic feat.

A fifth level Mage of the Midnight Coven is now not just a conduit for Negative Energy, but an open portal and beacon that calls it out. 1/day a Mage of the Midnight Coven becoming a beacon to the Negative Energy Plane which has the following effects within a 50' radius around the Mage of the Midnight Coven for a number of rounds equal to her constitution bonus (minimum 1):

Living creatures (Without Tomb-Tainted Soul or similar affinity/immunity to Negative Energy): Suffer a -4 profane penalty to all dice rolls, Armor Class, Spell Resistance. Creatures 2 (or more) HD less than the Mage of the Midnight Coven within the area are shaken, (Will DC = 10 + Intimidate negates)

A Mage of the Midnight Coven may end this effect early with a standard action. If they do so, every Living Creature (Without Immunity or Affinity to Negative Energy) within 50 feet is effected by Conduit to Torment (You gain the benefits of Dark Feeding for each one). Creatures with Affinity to Negative energy (Are healed by Inflict Spells, Undead, etc) within the area are healed for 200 HP

Prison of Pain

By fifth level, victims of a Mage of the Midnight Coven's Inflict spells are racked by a devastating pain, which paralyzes the subject for 1d4 rounds unless they pass fortitude save DC = (10 + MoMC Class Levels + INT mod)

There you have it! Please post comments to critique.

Bound to Darkness
Conduit to torment
Dark Feeding
Harbinger of Misery
Living beacon of Darkness
- Courtesy of ArcturusV

ArcturusV
2013-09-23, 01:03 AM
Love it. Just remind you to fix my example reference on "Harbringer of Darkness" as the example still refers to the ability as Ebb of the Dark Plane.

Edit: You might also want to refer to range brackets for Dark Reach. Close, Medium, Long. Rays I don't THINK are universally in one bracket only.

TheFamilarRaven
2013-09-23, 01:12 AM
Love it. Just remind you to fix my example reference on "Harbringer of Darkness" as the example still refers to the ability as Ebb of the Dark Plane.

Edit: You might also want to refer to range brackets for Dark Reach. Close, Medium, Long. Rays I don't THINK are universally in one bracket only.

Updated and corrected... thanks again for your help. It was epic :smallbiggrin:

JoshuaZ
2013-09-25, 12:01 PM
This would be substantially easier to read and comment on if it were in the standard PrC format.

TheFamilarRaven
2013-09-25, 08:04 PM

Mages of the Midnight Coven devote themselves to the study and mastery of the Negative Energy Plane. By harnessing the powers of Anger, Malice, Fear, Greed, and other dark emotions which make up that plane, they unleash waves of pain and misery upon their foes. As an organization, they remain hidden within a pocket dimension, close to the Negative Plane, as to better observes its effects. While most certainly unpleasant, they are not necessarily evil. They exist as a scholarly society, and do not engage themselves in the day to day politics of Narium. This does not mean that they isolate themselves, but they do make a point of keeping their meeting spots secret, as many misunderstand their goals.

In order to qualify to be a Mage of the Midnight Coven you must meet the following prerequisites:
-Ability to cast 3rd level arcane spells
- 5 ranks in Knowledge (the planes), 8 ranks in Knowledge (arcana), 5 ranks in Spellcraft
- Feats: Spell focus (Necromancy)
- Any non-good
-Special: Must survive the rite of initiation to become of member of the Midnight Coven

Game rule information.

Class Skills:
Bluff (CHA), Concentration (CON), Craft (INT), Decipher Script (INT), Intimidate (CHA), Knowledge (Arcana) (INT), Knowledge (The Planes) (INT), Sense Motive (WIS), Spellcraft (INT), and Use Magic Device (CHA)

Hitdice: d4

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|
Special|
Spells per Day/Spells Known

1st|+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Bound to Darkness, Conduit to Torment, Disciple of Strife |+1 Level of Existing Arcane Spellcasting Class

2nd|+1|
+0|
+0|
+3| Dark Feeding|+1 Level of Existing Arcane Spellcasting Class

3rd|+1|
+1|
+1|
+3| Spread the Taint, Black Reach |+1 Level of Existing Arcane Spellcasting Class

4th|+2|
+1|
+1|
+4| Harbinger of Misery |+1 level of existing Arcane Spellcasting Class

5th|+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Living Beacon of Darkness, Prison of Pain| +1 Level of Existing Arcane Spellcasting class[/table]

Armor and Weapon Proficiency:

A Mage of the Midnight Coven does not gain any armor or weapon proficiency.

Spells per Day/Spells Known:

Every level of Mage of the Midnight Coven adds +1 to the regular spell progression of any previous arcane class, (i.e spells known/spells per day) but does not give you the benefit of any class features they may have gotten at that level. Example, 9th level Wizard/1st level MoMC gains the class features of a Mage of the Midnight Coven and the spells of a 10th level wizard, but not the bonus feat a 10th level wizard would have gotten. If she has two Arcane Spellcasting Classes, she must decide which class to progress in spellcasting, she may not choose both.

Bound to Darkness SU):

A first level Mage of the Midnight Coven gains the Tomb-Tainted Soul feat for free. If she already has the Tomb-tainted Soul feat, she gains Greater Spell Focus (Necromancy) as a bonus feat. If she has both Greater Spell Focus (Necromancy) and Tomb-tainted Soul already, she may choose any meta-magic feat as a bonus feat. If the Mage of the Midnight Coven is undead, treat them as if they already have the Tomb-Tainted Soul feat, and continue from there.

In addition, the influence of the dark plane is visible on the body of a Mage of the Midnight Coven, as Mage of the Midnight coven gains more levels of this class, her skin becomes paler, the iris of her eyes either become black as obsidian, a pale grey or red as blood and her body becomes cold to the touch. In some rare cases, Mages of the Midnight Coven develop a preference for bitter tasting food, or some even loose their sense of taste altogether.

Disciple of Strife EX):

A Mage of the Midnight Coven's connection to the Negative Energy planes grants her the ability to cast Inflict Spells (With your access determined by your highest Arcane Caster level counting as Cleric Levels, in other words, levels of sorcerer and wizard do not stack) automatically upon taking the first level of this class (Spells are added for free to a spellbook, or in the case of a spontaneous caster are counted as "Spells Known" but do not take up any of your spells known slot). The DC to for these spells are equal to 10 + (spell level + Relevant Ability Modifier of the highest arcane caster class). For instance, Mages of the Midnight Coven with levels in Sorcerer, would add their Charisma Modifier to the DC of the spell, while those with wizard levels would add their Intelligence modifier.

Conduit to Torment SU):

A first level Mage of the Midnight Coven is adept at tapping into, and channeling the raw forces of the Negative Energy Plane. At first level a Mage of the Midnight Coven gains a Touch Attack that may be shared with a Familiar (Via Share Touch Spells ability). This touch attack inflicts 1d4 temporary damage to an ability of the Mage's Choice, Strength, Dexterity or Constitution. The Mage of the Midnight Coven chooses which ability to effect upon using this power. All uses of this ability on the same target will always effect the same ability score until the damage is healed, naturally or otherwise. A Mage of the Midnight Coven may only deal a maximum of 4 + her MoMC class levels of ability score damage to the same target per 24 hours.

Dark Feeding SU):

A second level Mage of the Midnight Coven learns not only to share misery with the dark energy, but to draw greater strength from it. Anytime she successfully damages a target with Conduit of Torment or Inflict Spells, her ability score temporarily increases (or Hit points, respectively) equal to the damage inflicted. The ability score that increases must be the same as the ability score damaged. Temporary Ability Scores of the same ability score do not stack. The Mage of the Midnight Coven may never gain more temporary HP than 1/2 the total HP of the Mage of the Midnight Coven using this ability per encounter. Once she has reached her limit for the encounter, she ceases to gain temporary HP from using Dark Feeding.

Example: Sharia used Conduit of Torment and inflicted 3 points of Dexterity damage to a target. She gains a temporary +3 bonus to her Dexterity. Next round she inflicts another 2 points of Dexterity damage to a target. she does not gain an additional +2 temporary points to Dexterity. However, if Sharia had dealt 4 points of Dexterity damage, she would have gained +1 additional temporary ability score point to her Dexterity.

Temporary points are always lost first, in the case of ability damage and hit point loss. Temporary ability scores/hit points last for (Mage of the Midnight Coven levels x CON mod) minutes. the Mage of the Midnight coven must damage the target of Dark Feeding, in other words, using Inflict Moderate Wounds on an undead, heals the undead, but does not grant the Mage of the Midnight Coven temporary HP.

Spread the Taint SU):

At third level, a Mage of the Midnight Coven can bestow the corrupting essence of the negative plane to willing subjects within 30ft of her as a swift action. Subjects take a temporary -2 penalty to their CON, but are considered to have the feat, Tomb-Tainted Soul for the duration of the effect. The effect lasts 24 hours, or unless they succeed a FORT save (DC = 15) to expell the taint.
In addition, casters who know Cure spells, or other casters who can spontaneously cast Cure spells, can now only cast/spontaneously cast Inflict spells for the duration of the effect. Casters who summon monsters, can not summon a creature with the Celestial, or similar template that causes the creature to be good aligned.
Undergoing this taint is considered profane, any good aligned creatures who willingly (see below) subject themselves to the corruption have their alignment shifted to neutral.

In addition to the ability to expand the taint to willing subjects, a Mage of the Midnight Coven may attempt to spread the taint to enemies within 30ft as a standard action. Doing so has the following effects:
-Creatures take a -2 profane penalty to all saves against the necromancy spell school, in addition to the -2 CON. This ability does not effect those immune to negative energy, such as undead. Creatures may make a FORT save = (10 + MoMC levels + Relevant Ability Modifier) to resist this effect
-If a creature has a spell effect that grants immunity to, or resistance to negative energy, such as the Deathward spell, then the Mage of the Midnight Coven may immediately make a caster level check (MoMC levels stack with previous arcane caster levels when determining the caster level) to dispel the effect.
-regardless of whether the effect was resisted or not, any creature can not be affected by the same MoMC's Spread the Taint ability for 24 hours.

Black Reach EX):

At 3rd level The Mage of the Midnight Coven may now cast any of her inflict spells as rays (range of close, 25ft +5 per 2 caster levels), at no additional spell slot cost or casting time increase. Mage of the Midnight Coven levels stack with her highest other Arcane caster levels to determine the range of the rays.

Harbinger of Misery SU):

A fourth level Mage of the Midnight Coven may apply the effects of the Maximize Spell Metamagic feat on any spell or spell like ability she casts which inflicts negative energy damage, ability score damage, or negative levels, for no adjustment in Casting Time or Spell Level, a number of times per day equal to her Constitution Modifier (Minimum 1) (Note: If your Constitution is raised temporarily by Dark Feeding this does give you additional uses. However those uses are counted even after the temporary Constitution points disappear. If a Mage of the Midnight Coven does not have a CON score, then use CHA to determine the amount of daily uses of this ability, (Minimum of 1).

Example: If Sharia has a 16 Con normally, she can use Harbinger of Misery 3 times per day. If she gains 2 Con from Dark Feeding, she can gain another use of harbinger of Misery while she has those temporary Con points. However if later in the same day she gain 3 Con points from another Dark Feeding, it does not grant you another use of Harbinger of Misery. If she gained +4 Con, Sharia would gain one additional use however). A Mage of the Midnight Coven may use this ability even if they do not have the Maximize Spell Metamagic feat.

Living Beacon of Darkness SU:)

A fifth level Mage of the Midnight Coven has become so steeped in the power of the Negative Energy Plane that she becomes a living beacon of darkness. Once per day, a Mage of the Midnight Coven my temporarily meld an area 50ft around her with the Negative energy Plane, which lasts a number of rounds equal to her CON modifier, (minimum 1) and has the following effects:

Living creatures (Without Tomb-Tainted Soul or similar affinity/immunity to Negative Energy): Suffer a -4 profane penalty to all dice rolls, Armor Class, Spell Resistance. Creatures 2 (or more) HD less than the Mage of the Midnight Coven within the area are shaken, unless they pass a WILL save (DC = 10 + the MoMC's Intimidate skill)

Creatures with Negative Energy Affinity (Undead, Tomb-Tainted Soul, and similar effects which make you gain benefits from negative energy): Gain Fast Healing 5, Dice Rolls receive a +4 Profane Bonus. Receives a +4 Deflection bonus to AC. Any spells or abilities that inflict Ability Score Damage, Negative Levels, or use Negative Energy are Empowered (As per the Metamagic Feat) for free.

A Mage of the Midnight Coven may end this effect early with a standard action. If they do so, every Living Creature (Without Immunity or Affinity to Negative Energy) within 50 feet is effected by Conduit to Torment (You gain the benefits of Dark Feeding for each one). Creatures with Affinity to Negative energy (Are healed by Inflict Spells, Undead, etc) within the area are healed for 200 HP

The area affected by Living Beacon of Darkness, is centered around the Mage of the Midnight Coven at all times, and moves as she moves.

Prison of Pain SU:)

By fifth level, victims of a Mage of the Midnight Coven's Inflict spells are racked by a devastating pain, which paralyzes the subject for 1d4 rounds unless they pass Fortitude save DC = (10 + Spell Level + Relevant Caster Modifier)

Joining the Midnight Coven: Joining the Coven is not so simple as walking up to a member and requesting to join. Applicants must first prove they are worthy and dedicated by presenting a new discovery. Sometimes members see great promise in individuals and extend an invitation to join. Regardless, all initiates undergo the rite of passage. It is a simple ritual, and is over in a few seconds. It involves one of the senior members of the Coven blasting the applicant with negative energy. It is meant to seep into the initiate, granted the beginnings of power gained through the Coven. Most end up dying though.

There you have it! Please post comments to critique.

Bound to Darkness
Conduit to torment
Dark Feeding
Harbinger of Misery
Living beacon of Darkness
- Courtesy of ArcturusV

JoshuaZ
2013-09-25, 09:32 PM
Ok. Needs specification for which abilities are (Su), which are (Ex) and which are (Sp). I'd guess that Bound to Darkness and Black Reach should be (Ex), with the others as supernatural.

Bound to Darkness- If one already has Tome Tainted Soul one should maybe be allowed another bonus feat from some short list. I'd suggest Great Spell Focus(Necromancy) or any metamagic feat as options in that case. One should also if one becomes undead get the option to perform that swap out then.

Conduit to Torment- why not let them choose which stat to do damage to when they use the ability?

There are a few typos. Loose/lose needs to be fixed. Also, what you call stat is formally called an ability score.

Dark Feeding is potentially abuseable as written if some other PC has an easy way of recovering either hit points or ability damage.

Harbinger of Misery- basing daily uses off of con is interesting. It should probably specify explicitly that they get a min of one use, and that characters without con scores base off of charisma.

"1/day a Mage of the Midnight Coven becoming a beacon to the Negative Energy Plane"- Better wording: "Once a day a Mage of the Midnight Coven may become a beacon to the Negative Energy Plane"

" (Will DC = 10 + Intimidate negates)"- I'm not sure what this means.

By fifth level, victims of a Mage of the Midnight Coven's Inflict spells are racked by a devastating pain, which paralyzes the subject for 1d4 rounds unless they pass fortitude save DC = (10 + MoMC Class Levels + INT mod)

This should be optional. Also, forcing it to be int is going to not be good for casters based on other ability scores. I'd suggest just making the save DC be the same as the save DC of the spell. Also, "Prison of Pain" should be in bold.

I'm a little worried that the class is shut down easily by someone with a death ward. It would be nice to have something like getting to make a caster level check to overcome death wards with their inflict spells, or have them deal half damage through it. Maybe something similar to my Nightlord of Moil's capstone (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210223).

Overall, I like it.

TheFamilarRaven
2013-09-26, 12:07 AM
Ok. Needs specification for which abilities are (Su), which are (Ex) and which are (Sp). I'd guess that Bound to Darkness and Black Reach should be (Ex), with the others as supernatural.

Added, thanks for the catch.

Bound to Darkness- If one already has Tome Tainted Soul one should maybe be allowed another bonus feat from some short list. I'd suggest Great Spell Focus(Necromancy) or any metamagic feat as options in that case. One should also if one becomes undead get the option to perform that swap out then.

I may have gone overboard on the description, but I think it eliminates any confusion about what to do if you already have, Tomb-tainted soul, grater spell focus, or if you're undead. Also, I split the ability into two. Bond t oDarkness and Disciple of Strife, but mechanically, still functions the same, just though it was a little more organized.

Conduit to Torment- why not let them choose which stat to do damage to when they use the ability?

agreed, and changed.

There are a few typos. Loose/lose needs to be fixed. Also, what you call stat is formally called an ability score.

corrected, thanks for the formatting tip.

Dark Feeding is potentially abuseable as written if some other PC has an easy way of recovering either hit points or ability damage.

mmm, I'll admit the potential could be there. If you could provide an example that would be great, because the way I see it, the MoMC could drain CON from the fighter, then the Cleric could restore it with lesser restoration. Sure, the MoMC is pre-buffing, but the party is still using up resources like that (restoration spells). The only time i see it being abused is using an inflict spell on the fighter to gain temp HP before a battle, and then if the fighter had an item which provided some HP regen over time and they just sat around until he was full HP.

And remember, Dark feeding only lasts lasts a few minutes, which is enough to be useful, but it doesn't last all day, and the MoMC can never have more than a +4 bonus to any given ability score
And check out the re-wording I did on the class feature, I added a temp HP cap and changed some of the wording.

Appreciate the feedback. thanks

Harbinger of Misery- basing daily uses off of con is interesting. It should probably specify explicitly that they get a min of one use, and that characters without con scores base off of charisma.

I think it already did, but the CHA mod was a good idea.

"1/day a Mage of the Midnight Coven becoming a beacon to the Negative Energy Plane"- Better wording: "Once a day a Mage of the Midnight Coven may become a beacon to the Negative Energy Plane"

" (Will DC = 10 + Intimidate negates)"- I'm not sure what this means.

Corrected

This should be optional. Also, forcing it to be int is going to not be good for casters based on other ability scores. I'd suggest just making the save DC be the same as the save DC of the spell. Also, "Prison of Pain" should be in bold.

Corrected, now Class features reference "relevant Caster modifier" so it can either be INT, or CHA, depending on whether you took this class as a sorcerer or wizard.

I'm a little worried that the class is shut down easily by someone with a death ward. It would be nice to have something like getting to make a caster level check to overcome death wards with their inflict spells, or have them deal half damage through it. Maybe something similar to my.

good point, I think I came up with a fix.

Overall, I like it.

Thank you, and your feedback was greatly appreciated.