PDA

View Full Version : [PF] +1 Bow and normal arrows

Kazehito
2013-09-21, 09:34 PM
We had a question come up today in our group that had several people with differing opinions. We have a +1 Composite Longbow (str+2). The question that we have is since the bow is +1 and +1 weapons count as magical weapons for bypassing dr/magic, does it confer this bonus onto the arrows. Basically does a +1 bow firing normal arrows bypass dr/magic or not. I know that if you give the bow flaming or a similar property that it bestows that upon the arrows fired, we just weren't sure if the dr/magic would be bypassed by normal arrows fired from it. Thanks for any help with this question, and if you happen to know where it specifically says this in the core rulebook or anywhere else, it would be greatly appreciated.

Manly Man
2013-09-21, 09:38 PM
I would rule it that the bonus is applied to the ammunition as well. If you end up with an enchanted arrow, the highest enhancement bonus would overlap, but the abilities on each one would stack, as long as they weren't the same (a +1 flaming shocking composite longbow (+2 Str) firing a +3 flaming arrow would do 1d8+5+1d6 (fire)+1d6 (electric)).

Fax Celestis
2013-09-21, 09:40 PM
Bows bestow their enchantments upon their ammunition. A regular arrow fired from a composite longbow +1 is effectively an arrow +1, including for DR determination.

"But that's not fair!"

Yes it is. Archers (and to a more significant value, gunners) have to pay for every shot they make. Meleers do not.

Bhaakon
2013-09-21, 09:43 PM
Ammunition fired from a projectile weapon with an enhancement bonus of +1 or higher is treated as a magic weapon for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

Core Rule Book, pg 468, under the heading "Ranged Weapons and Ammunition."

PersonMan
2013-09-22, 03:56 AM
Wait, why would it not be like that?

I mean, what would the point of enhancing bows even be?

Zanos
2013-09-22, 04:25 AM
Wait, why would it not be like that?

I mean, what would the point of enhancing bows even be?
You could hit people with it.