PDA

View Full Version : What is the highest level 30 single round burst?

Rakaydos
2013-09-21, 09:44 PM
And to clarify, since I doubt the game has changed too much since I last optimised, what is the highest average number of hits a Critfisher can chain together reliably?

I'm assuming tools like MC avenger, the 1 round limit ignored by this particular question. Multiattacks, rerolling misses on attacks that hit on crits... give me all the cheese you got.

NecroRebel
2013-09-21, 11:04 PM
The Wizards boards have a thread that lists the best damage-per-round builds. (http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/3314581) Apparently, the current single-round kills per round is 14.61, which converts to 3857.04 damage per round. That particular build is a Rebreather variant (a build family involving use of Dragon Breath multiple times per round).

I don't have enough op-fu to know how best to chain together crits, though.

tcrudisi
2013-09-22, 06:14 AM
The Wizards boards have a thread that lists the best damage-per-round builds. (http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/3314581) Apparently, the current single-round kills per round is 14.61, which converts to 3857.04 damage per round. That particular build is a Rebreather variant (a build family involving use of Dragon Breath multiple times per round).

I don't have enough op-fu to know how best to chain together crits, though.

It's tough to chain together crits. Most "make this attack when you score a crit" attacks were nerfed into oblivion once the "one free action attack per turn" rule was added to the game. There are a few ways, but it's really hard to pull off now.

I know there's a power that says your attack rolls all become 10 for the encounter. Combine that with an Avenger with the paragon path that says you crit if both your dice are the same and you get auto-crits. Extrapolate from there, though the free action attack limit nerfed this one from infinite damage to just a metric load of damage.

masteraleph
2013-09-22, 11:06 AM
It's tough to chain together crits. Most "make this attack when you score a crit" attacks were nerfed into oblivion once the "one free action attack per turn" rule was added to the game. There are a few ways, but it's really hard to pull off now.

Most but not all- Rending Weapon has +1d6 damage per plus and an MBA against the same target on a crit, and there's no action type specified. RAI it's probably supposed to be a free action, but RAW there's no limit.

captpike
2013-09-22, 11:57 AM
ya for some reason there is no default action type, as in "if an action type is not listed its a free action" so some players can say "it does not SAY its a free action so its a no action and so I Can do it 20 times this round"

Rakaydos
2013-09-22, 12:11 PM
Most but not all- Rending Weapon has +1d6 damage per plus and an MBA against the same target on a crit, and there's no action type specified. RAI it's probably supposed to be a free action, but RAW there's no limit.

That sounds like it'll be limited to just a few iterations, then. Even with 2 attacks on a MBA, with an avenger mark, and a daggermaster crit range, (assuming best possible combination, not that I know if this is actually possible), it still falls short of a 50% chance of a crit per crit.

Damon_Tor
2013-09-28, 04:43 AM
There are still builds that theoretically do infinite damage: the free action attack nerf didn't close all the loopholes, and there are still plenty of ways to get bonus attacks which require no action to perform.

At one point I built the "Missile Commander" which was a build designed to exploit the oddities created with the addition of the Essentials magic missile. It could kill Bahamut (the most badass published monster and level 37 or something silly IIRC). It may have been nerfed in a variety of ways now, that was a long time ago.

Damon_Tor
2013-09-28, 04:50 AM
That sounds like it'll be limited to just a few iterations, then. Even with 2 attacks on a MBA, with an avenger mark, and a daggermaster crit range, (assuming best possible combination, not that I know if this is actually possible), it still falls short of a 50% chance of a crit per crit.

There's a level 16ish utility (rogue?) that lets you crit on a 16, then combine the avenger oath with a certain fighter utility (don't remember the names here, it's been years since I fiddled with this kind of stuff) and you get 4 rolls per attack. Combine with a fighter daily that lets you use any at-will in place of a melee basic and toss in the battlemind at-will that gives you 3 attacks. There's more, but I don't remember all of it.

Surrealistik
2013-09-28, 10:41 AM
At one point I built the "Missile Commander" which was a build designed to exploit the oddities created with the addition of the Essentials magic missile. It could kill Bahamut (the most badass published monster and level 37 or something silly IIRC). It may have been nerfed in a variety of ways now, that was a long time ago.

Short of perhaps some new mobs I'm unaware of, Tiamat is still the most badass official monster yet created (actually, having just seen Cryonax, now I'm not so sure) given her ridiculous number of attacks per round; I mean, she absolutely shouldn't be but is nonetheless. Bahamut by comparison consists of some pretty antiquated/backwards MM1-2 style design with a single attack per turn and a single turn per round.

Daracaex
2013-09-28, 12:02 PM
Short of perhaps some new mobs I'm unaware of, Tiamat is still the most badass official monster yet created (actually, having just seen Cryonax, now I'm not so sure) given her ridiculous number of attacks per round; I mean, she absolutely shouldn't be but is nonetheless. Bahamut by comparison consists of some pretty antiquated/backwards MM1-2 style design with a single attack per turn and a single turn per round.

Bahamut is actually designed to suck for his level. If you look at him, most of his abilities revolve around granting bonuses and helping allies. He's designed mostly as divine intervention for a party of PCs fighting something they'd otherwise have an extremely difficult time with.