PDA

View Full Version : New Feats for Fighters

Zaydos
2013-09-21, 11:07 PM
Well ok so I've seen enough new feats made this week it made me want to make some, so let's go.

Killing Momentum
You have learned to make the most of the battlefield, pushing forward as one enemy dies to move on to the next.
Prerequisites: Cleave, Great Cleave, BAB +11.
Benefit: When you drop an enemy as part of a full-attack you may move up to your speed before making any attacks granted by Cleave or Great Cleave. You may only use this feat a number of times in a single round equal to the number of attacks you can make due to your Base Attack Bonus. The movement from this feat does not provoke attacks of opportunity for leaving threatened squares.
Special: A Fighter may select this feat as one of their bonus feats.

Combat Re-position
You are able to quickly shift your position during a fight, allowing yourself to move more quickly between enemies or suddenly get behind a foe.
Prerequisites: Tumble 2 ranks, Dexterity 13+, Fighter level 8+
Benefit: You may make a 2nd 5-ft step each round, or may make a single 10-ft step in place of both of your 5-ft steps. In addition you may make Tumble checks while slowed by armor.

Disrupting Blade
Your battles against mages have taught you how to disrupt magic around you.
Prerequisites: Mage Slayer, Pierce Magical Protection, Spellcraft 5 ranks, Fighter Level 11+.
Benefit: By flourishing your weapon as a standard action you may use Greater Dispel Magic as a spell-like ability with a Caster Level equal to your Base Attack Bonus. This ability is usable at will and does not suffer a caster level penalty due to Mage Slayer or any feat requiring it as a prerequisite. This spell-like ability does not provoke attacks of opportunity. You may use this ability a number of times per day equal to one third of your fighter level.

Focus of Enmity:
You are able to focus your attention on an enemy allowing you to strike out if its attention on your wavers in the least.
Prerequisites: Fighter level 12+.
Benefit: At the beginning of each of your turns you may select 1 creature you are aware of. Until the beginning of your next turn you may make an attack of opportunity against that creature in response to it performing any action which constitutes an attack as defined by the Invisibility spell which does not include you among its targets or target solely the creature itself or if it takes a 5-ft step (i.e. it casts a spell targeting another creature, touches another creature, makes an attack against another creature, or takes a 5-ft step). In addition the creature suffers a -2 penalty to attack rolls against any creature other than you as long as you threaten it in melee.
Special: A fighter may select this feat as one of their bonus feats.

Voidsword:
You have long studied the art of weaponry, and your understanding of the way of the sword has transcended the mundane allowing you to see how space is meaningless before the edge of a fine piece of steel.
Prerequisites: Fighter, Duskblade, or Hexblade level 4+, Knowledge (the Planes) 2 ranks.
Benefit: 3 times per day when you make an attack or full attack action you may make melee attacks out to a distance of 5-ft per point of Base Attack Bonus you possess. You may not use this feat as part of a charge or martial maneuver.
Special: This feat is considered a supernatural ability (it does not function within an area of dead or antimagic).

Rend the World:
Focusing your will you lash out cutting across the fabric of reality itself creating a temporary portal to another world or place.
Prerequisites: Fighter, Duskblade, or Hexblade level 11+, Knowledge (the Planes) 7 ranks, Voidsword.
Benefit: As a full round action 1/day per 4 points of BAB you possess you may cut a tear in the fabric of reality. This tear remains open for 1 minute and is large enough to fit 1 creature of your size through it at a time. This tear leads to a plane or location of your choice with the accuracy of the spell Plane-Shift if going to another plane or Teleport if going elsewhere on your own plane.
Special: The use of this feat is a Supernatural ability and does not function in an area of dead or anti magic.

God Slayer:
Your blade cannot be deterred inflicting deep wounds that resist supernatural protection and healing.
Prerequisites: Power Attack, Strength 17+, Fighter or Barbarian level 13+.
Benefit: Your melee attacks ignore damage reduction other than DR /- and penetrate all forms of Regeneration that can be penetrated by any type of damage (i.e. other than those like the tarrasque's). In addition damage dealt by your melee attacks require 2 points of healing to heal for each point of damage.

Find the Chink:
As you strike at a foe time and time again you learn the weak spots of their armor and how to strike through the chinks within it.
Prerequisites: Fighter or Swashbuckler level 3+, Int 11+.
Benefit: Whenever you make a melee attack against a target you may ignore 1 point of Armor or Natural Armor bonus it has for each melee attack you have previously made against it or another creature of its species wearing identical armor within the last minute. You lose these benefits if you attack a creature of another species or wearing different armor.
If your fighter level is at least 8 you may add Deflection bonus to the types of bonuses you may ignore.

Supreme Weapon Focus:
Your mastery of your weapon is unparalleled by lesser warriors granting you additional bonuses in combat.
Prerequisites: Fighter level 13+, Greater Weapon Focus (in same weapon).
Benefit: You gain a +4 bonus to hit with your selected weapon (this bonus supersedes i.e. does not stack with that granted by Weapon Focus and Greater Weapon Focus). In addition you may not be disarmed when wielding your selected weapon, and gain an additional +4 to confirm critical hits when wielding your selected weapon. Finally you may make a second attack at -5 as part of an attack (non-full attack) action.
Special: You may take this feat multiple times each time you do so you must select a different weapon to apply it to.
Special: A Fighter may select this feat as a fighter bonus feat.

Supreme Weapon Specialization:
Your mastery of your weapon is unparalleled by lesser warriors granting you additional bonuses in combat.
Prerequisites: Fighter level 16+, Supreme Weapon Focus (in same weapon), and Greater Weapon Specialization (in same weapon).
Benefits: You gain a +8 bonus to damage with your selected weapon (this bonus supersedes i.e. does not stack with that granted by Weapon Specialization and Greater Weapon Specialization). In addition your attacks ignore immunity to critical hits and against creatures normally vulnerable to critical hits your weapon's threat range either increases by one (before Keen/Improved Critical) or its critical damage multiplier increases by one; you may change this decision once per day as a free action.
Special: You may take this feat multiple times each time you do so you must select a different weapon to apply it to.

And before someone complains about some of these feats being supernatural, so is a dragon's breath. The acts of mythical heroes border on and draw upon magic without being wizardry and D&D's supernatural abilities allow you to reflect that without the additional weight on suspension of disbelief that trying to claim there's nothing magical about cutting through dimensions. D&D takes place in a highly magical world, and the way I feel any high level character ought to be a little bit magical, because eventually your sheer awesome will cross into magic. Even in anime feats like cutting into another dimension usually is a type of magic just not the same as -insert equivalent to wizardry- (Dragonball it uses Ki for example which in D&D is Su).

Beelzebub1111
2013-09-22, 04:23 AM
As killing momentum is worded, do you mean equal to your attacks per round? because as it's written you get to move a minimum of 11 times as you drop enemies. Which gives an interesting image, but I'm not sure if its what you intended.

Voidsword should proabably be 5-ft per 2 fighter levels. or at least have a limit on uses per day

Network
2013-09-22, 10:15 AM
Killing Momentum
You have learned to make the most of the battlefield, pushing forward as one enemy dies to move on to the next.
Prerequisites: Cleave, Great Cleave, BAB +11.
Benefit: When you drop an enemy as part of a full-attack you may move up to your speed before making any attacks granted by Cleave or Great Cleave. You may only use this feat a number of times in a single round equal to your Base Attack Bonus. The movement from this feat does not provoke attacks of opportunity for leaving threatened squares.
While the intend of the feat is good, I think it makes the character too fast. While I don't have a problem with a fighter running through the battlefield, killing a bunch of mooks along the way, I don't think a character should be able to move up to 330 feet in 6 seconds with sheer speed alone.

Combat Re-position
You are able to quickly shift your position during a fight, allowing yourself to move more quickly between enemies or suddenly get behind a foe.
Prerequisites: Tumble 2 ranks, Dexterity 13+, Fighter level 8+
Benefit: You may make a 2nd 5-ft step each round, or may make a single 10-ft step in place of both of your 5-ft steps. In addition you may make Tumble checks while slowed by armor.
Looks good.

Disrupting Blade
Your battles against mages have taught you how to disrupt magic around you.
Prerequisites: Mage Slayer, Pierce Magical Protection, Spellcraft 5 ranks, Fighter Level 11+.
Benefit: By flourishing your weapon as a standard action you may use Greater Dispel Magic as a spell-like ability with a Caster Level equal to your Base Attack Bonus. This ability is usable at will and does not suffer a caster level penalty due to Mage Slayer or any feat requiring it as a prerequisite. This spell-like ability does not provoke attacks of opportunity.
I'd put some limitation on this, but it isn't bad otherwise.

Focus of Enmity:
You are able to focus your attention on an enemy allowing you to strike out if its attention on your wavers in the least.
Prerequisites: Fighter level 2+.
Benefit: At the beginning of each of your turns you may select 1 creature you are aware of. Until the beginning of your next turn you may make an attack of opportunity against that creature the first time it performs an action which constitutes an attack as defined by the Invisibility spell which does not include you among its targets or target solely the creature itself, and you may make an attack of opportunity against that creature if it takes a 5-ft step. In addition the creature suffers a -2 penalty to attack rolls against any creature other than you as long as you threaten it in melee.
Special: A fighter may select this feat as one of their bonus feats.
I'm... not sure of what it does. You should clarify it.

Voidsword:
You have long studied the art of weaponry, and your understanding of the way of the sword has transcended the mundane allowing you to see how space is meaningless before the edge of a fine piece of steel.
Prerequisites: Fighter, Duskblade, or Hexblade level 4+, Knowledge (the Planes) 2 ranks.
Benefit: When you make an attack or full attack action you may make melee attacks out to a distance of 5-ft per fighter level you possess. You may not use this feat as part of a charge or martial maneuver.
Special: This feat is considered a supernatural ability (it does not function within an area of dead or antimagic).
So... a mostly-free, very long reach... also better than any feat that grant reach or partial reach (Extended Reach, Inhuman Reach, Lunging Strike, etc.).

Greater Voidsword:
The depth that your sword pierces the void extends as you continue to master your knowledge of it.
Prerequisites: Fighter, Duskblade, or Hexblade level 4+, Knowledge (the Planes) 5 ranks, Voidsword.
Benefit: When you use the Voidsword feat you may treat your fighter level as four times what it actually is for the purposes of determine your maximum range.
For some reason, a melee reach going from 80 to 400 feet doesn't really sound fighter to me.

Rend the World:
Focusing your will you lash out cutting across the fabric of reality itself creating a temporary portal to another world or place.
Prerequisites: Fighter, Duskblade, or Hexblade level 11+, Knowledge (the Planes) 7 ranks, Voidsword.
Benefit: As a full round action 1/day per 4 points of BAB you possess you may cut a tear in the fabric of reality. This tear remains open for 1 minute and is large enough to fit 1 creature of your size through it at a time. This tear leads to a plane or location of your choice with the accuracy of the spell Plane-Shift if going to another plane or Teleport if going elsewhere on your own plane.
Special: The use of this feat is a Supernatural ability and does not function in an area of dead or anti magic.
I'll have to think about it again, but for now it doesn't really sound fighter to me.

God Slayer:
Your blade cannot be deterred inflicting deep wounds that resist supernatural protection and healing.
Prerequisites: Power Attack, Strength 17+, Fighter or Barbarian level 13+.
Benefit: Your melee attacks ignore damage reduction other than DR /- and penetrate all forms of Regeneration that can be penetrated by any type of damage (i.e. other than those like the tarrasque's). In addition damage dealt by your melee attacks require 2 points of healing to heal for each point of damage.
Too situational. Ignoring most forms of damage reduction can already be done by everyone but monks and soulknives. For the same reason, any form of regeneration intended to be bypassed will be bypassed. Making the wounds harder to heal isn't going to be relevant at all, unless the character is an NPC, in which case it's overpowered.

Find the Chink:
As you strike at a foe time and time again you learn the weak spots of their armor and how to strike through the chinks within it.
Prerequisites: Fighter or Swashbuckler level 3+, Int 11+.
Benefit: Whenever you make a melee attack against a target you may ignore 1 point of Armor or Natural Armor bonus it has for each melee attack you have previously made against it or another creature of its species wearing identical armor within the last minute. You lose these benefits if you attack a creature of another species or wearing different armor.
If your fighter level is at least 8 you may add Deflection bonus to the types of bonuses you may ignore.
Not too bad. Most fights will be over before it can be used fully.

Supreme Weapon Focus:
Prerequisites: Fighter level 13+, Greater Weapon Focus (in same weapon).
Benefit: You gain a +4 bonus to hit with your selected weapon (this bonus supersedes i.e. does not stack with that granted by Weapon Focus and Greater Weapon Focus). In addition you may not be disarmed when wielding your selected weapon, and gain an additional +4 to confirm critical hits when wielding your selected weapon. Finally you may make a second attack at -5 as part of an attack (non-full attack) action.
Too similar to Weapon Supremacy for me. The bonuses are mostly numerical, which is bad.

Supreme Weapon Specialization:
Prerequisites: Fighter level 16+, Supreme Weapon Focus (in same weapon), and Greater Weapon Specialization (in same weapon).
Benefits: You gain a +8 bonus to damage with your selected weapon (this bonus supersedes i.e. does not stack with that granted by Weapon Specialization and Greater Weapon Specialization). In addition your attacks ignore immunity to critical hits and against creatures normally vulnerable to critical hits your weapon's threat range either increases by one (before Keen/Improved Critical) or its critical damage multiplier increases by one; you may change this decision once per day as a free action.
Ignoring immunity to critical hits is very situational, and I'm worried it may be too good ; characters with immunity to critical hits tend to not have that much hit points relative to their HD. Improving critical hits against opponents not immune to them is going to be too good.

And before someone complains about some of these feats being supernatural, so is a dragon's breath. The acts of mythical heroes border on and draw upon magic without being wizardry and D&D's supernatural abilities allow you to reflect that without the additional weight on suspension of disbelief that trying to claim there's nothing magical about cutting through dimensions. D&D takes place in a highly magical world, and the way I feel any high level character ought to be a little bit magical, because eventually your sheer awesome will cross into magic. Even in anime feats like cutting into another dimension usually is a type of magic just not the same as -insert equivalent to wizardry- (Dragonball it uses Ki for example which in D&D is Su).
I agree with that.

nonsi
2013-09-22, 01:20 PM
I second just about everything Network wrote.
But while Voidsword & Rend the World seem thematically awkward to me, I see no problem with high level fighters bursting through walls & force effects, doubling in size or causing minor earthquakes with a greatclub or (if enlarged) by stomping the ground.

Carl
2013-09-22, 02:13 PM
I'm... not sure of what it does. You should clarify it.

"If the target performs any action that would cause an invisibility spell to end or takes a 5ft step they provoke an immediate attack of opportunity, even if they would not normally do so."

That's what i think he's saying.

Network
2013-09-22, 03:05 PM
"If the target performs any action that would cause an invisibility spell to end or takes a 5ft step they provoke an immediate attack of opportunity, even if they would not normally do so."

That's what i think he's saying.
Well... didn't think of that one. It seems good, but should still be clarified.