PDA

View Full Version : Careers based on Agility/Dexterity

LuckyDee
2013-09-22, 02:25 AM
For a semi-rpg gaming concept, I'm looking for careers/professions/classes based on stats like agility and dexterity. The game will be set halfway through the last century, though any input is more than welcome - who knows what will spark a good idea.

Thanks.

Rhynn
2013-09-22, 02:48 AM
Dancer, sharpshooter/sniper, gymnast, acrobat, martial artist, pickpocket...

Aasimar
2013-09-22, 03:55 AM
For manual dexterity, surgeon or maybe musician, in addition to the suggestions already made.

For peak agility in what is still a sort of 'normal' occupation, I think dancer and gymnast are probably closest to what you're thinking. Circus acrobat is probably also there, but slightly less 'I could see a normal person doing this'

Some types of clowns would also qualify, as well as movie stunt people.

TheCountAlucard
2013-09-22, 03:58 AM
Drivers of pretty much every variety.

Aasimar
2013-09-22, 04:29 AM
Drivers of pretty much every variety.

Except ox drivers, horse drivers and slave drivers.

TheCountAlucard
2013-09-22, 04:31 AM
You say that after seeing a clumsy person try and whip something. :smalltongue:

LuckyDee
2013-09-22, 06:42 AM
Heh, thanks for the input so far, I've seen some very useful suggestions already. Keep em coming though...

Maybe you can come up with something better for this one as well: I'm also looking for a career based on charm/charisma in a lawful(/good) background. Suggestions?

Terraoblivion
2013-09-22, 06:49 AM
Politicians, police and military officers, priests, labor organizers and entertainers all spring to mind as possibilities, though of course, there's nothing inherently lawful or good about either of them, there's nothing inherently going against it either.

Lord Torath
2013-09-22, 08:16 AM
For Dexterity/Agility, factory workers could apply. Jewelery makers, watch makers, gem carvers.

Terraoblivion
2013-09-22, 08:35 AM
Unskilled factory work is mostly based on the endurance to keep working for very long shifts while standing and operating heavy machinery. Dexterity still helps prevent accidents, though.

Honest Tiefling
2013-09-22, 10:10 AM
The handmade stuff for small objects like jewelry and watches still requires dexterity, which aren't factory jobs.

LibraryOgre
2013-09-23, 05:36 PM
Middle part of the 20th century? Electronics breadboarder.

Before you had programmable computers, electronics programs (especially new ones) were hand-written onto breadboards. If you've read Starship Troopers, Johnny makes reference to this; he and Karl would do electronics, with Karl providing the skull-sweat and design, and Johnny the steady hand. It's also mentioned in Door into Summer.

The_Werebear
2013-09-23, 05:44 PM
Card Shark/Grifter might have some of it, though that's also heavily CHA based.

dps
2013-09-24, 12:39 AM
Maybe you can come up with something better for this one as well: I'm also looking for a career based on charm/charisma in a lawful(/good) background. Suggestions?

Schoolteacher.

LuckyDee
2013-09-24, 12:54 AM
Thank you all once again. I have a lot of workable material now, which I hope to be able to implement shortly. Since it's for an online game, I'm considering dropping by here again in (probably) a couple of weeks to look for playtesters.

For those who want to inform themselves in advance, I'm building a StoryNexus (http://storynexus.com/s) world.