PDA

View Full Version : paranoia

Popinjay
2013-09-22, 02:26 AM
Does anybody ever run paranoia as play by post?

I have never played it but have heard good things about it from a friend recently.

Pop

Kurald Galain
2013-09-22, 05:03 AM
You should have, because Paranoia is fun, and happiness is mandatory!

Actually I think it is even more fun if you play it face to face, because there may be slapstick, meta-effects, and instantaneous jokes involved (jokes are treason). But if you haven't tried it yet, you definitely should, in the medium of your choice.

Praise The Computer! The Computer Is Your Friend!

Mono Vertigo
2013-09-22, 05:18 AM
The main advantage of Paranoia PbP is that nobody can see the notes you're passing along to players.
The main disadvantage of Paranoia PbP is that nobody can see the notes you're passing along to players.*

*Half the fun of Paranoia is , well, paranoia among the players (not the PCs, the players), and if nobody sees you passing along tons of blank/silly notes, then nobody can blur OOC and IC knowledge in an amusing way. Like, by shooting the guy who got the message, in case he's a mutant traitor commie.
At least, you can still publicly make ominous rolls that don't mean anything.

Popinjay
2013-09-22, 09:25 AM
Well if anybody GMs a game I would love to play!

Pop

Thrudd
2013-09-23, 03:51 AM
PbP Paranoia is Treason! The computer is everyone's friend. Using the computer for RPG's is treason.

CarpeGuitarrem
2013-09-23, 05:29 PM
The main advantage of Paranoia PbP is that nobody can see the notes you're passing along to players.
The main disadvantage of Paranoia PbP is that nobody can see the notes you're passing along to players.*

*Half the fun of Paranoia is , well, paranoia among the players (not the PCs, the players), and if nobody sees you passing along tons of blank/silly notes, then nobody can blur OOC and IC knowledge in an amusing way. Like, by shooting the guy who got the message, in case he's a mutant traitor commie.
At least, you can still publicly make ominous rolls that don't mean anything.
Use spoiler tags directed at one player-character only. Reading the spoilers and acting on them if you are not the character authorized to read them is treason.

Mono Vertigo
2013-09-24, 02:58 AM
Use spoiler tags directed at one player-character only. Reading the spoilers and acting on them if you are not the character authorized to read them is treason.

Mmmhyeah, that's not a bad replacement indeed. :smallamused:

Cristo Meyers
2013-09-24, 08:39 AM
Mmmhyeah, that's not a bad replacement indeed. :smallamused:

Especially if you color the text blue or higher.

Mono Vertigo
2013-09-24, 08:47 AM
Especially if you color the text blue or higher.
That's evil.
I love it.
You can even color certain portions white, rendering them effectively invisible for those below Ultraviolet clearance.
Not that they exist, of course.
And the black text, aka default text, is for all clearances, infrared and above. It's getting meta.

Kurald Galain
2013-10-04, 04:26 AM
Oh, Paranoia goes great with meta. I used to play with a stack of red dice on the table and a blue one, and any player that rolls the blue one has his character die immediately because of meta :smallwink:

TheGateKeeper70
2013-10-09, 05:20 PM
Paranoia is great. I don't think it can be done well by post. You just miss all the loud chaos the game causes.