PDA

View Full Version : Looking for RPG-ish PS3 games

Yora
2013-09-22, 09:17 AM
I want to get some new games for my PS3, but don't really know what's out there for the last three or four years.

I very much enjoyed Skyrim, Dead Space, Bioshock 2, Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect (though I played that on Xbox), Mirror's Edge and Metal Gear Solid 4.
I already plan to get Dark Souls and eventually the Metal Gear collection for Peace Walker, once I can get it cheaply second hand .

Based on that, any other games you would recommend me?

Terraoblivion
2013-09-22, 10:14 AM
All I can really see as the common thread is a generally western storytelling style, with MGS4 as the odd one out being its own, weird style with the rest of the series. That kinda makes it trickier for me to provide advice, since all my favorite games for the system are heavily Japanese-styled. That said, Folklore manages a nice storybook style along with some really nice setting design and has pretty good, but unspectacular gameplay that kinda mixes Pokemon and a brawler style if that makes sense. I also think that even if the artstyle and story doesn't appeal to you, the gameplay of Valkyria Chronicles is strong enough to stand on its own as a pseudo-real time tactics game. Both are stretches, but you might find them interesting anyway.

Yora
2013-09-22, 10:58 AM
Valkyria Chronicles is a great game. But it's rather different from what I'm currently looking for, so I didn't mention it.

Terraoblivion
2013-09-22, 11:05 AM
Honestly, looking at that list of games you're talking about I'm not sure what you're looking for, they're a pretty diverse bunch in gameplay, themes and narrative style.

Orrmundur
2013-09-22, 01:16 PM
Well, Alpha Protocol is amazing. Very, very buggy but still great. The writing and level of reactivity is just mind-boggling. Kingdoms of Amalur is pretty good too, I haven't played it a lot but the combat is quite fun. Oblivion would be another good one, especially if you liked Skyrim. It's not as good but there's plenty of fun to be had, especially in the expansion packs. The only other one I can think of is Dungeon Siege III but I never played that one personally. I've heard good things, though.

Zevox
2013-09-22, 01:41 PM
Kingdoms of Amalur is pretty good too, I haven't played it a lot but the combat is quite fun.
Eh, not really. Kingdoms of Amalur's combat is fun at first, but falls apart as you go on and get to the point where it's so easy you can sleepwalk through it, even if you turn the difficulty up to hard. And the writing is bog standard fantasy fare, with hardly anything to recommend it, so when the combat falls apart, the entire game does.

As an alternative, I'd recommend Dragon's Dogma. Very good combat, with the best large monster battles I've ever seen in an RPG. The game's Drakes, Hydras, and titular Dragon are particularly excellent highlights. Just don't expect much from the writing. It's definitely a game you play for the fighting, and laugh at most of the story. It even has an expanded version that came out earlier this year, Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen, though I haven't played that, so I can't speak to the quality of the additional content.

The Witcher 2 is also a fairly good one, if you still have a 360 (you mentioned playing Mass Effect on it).

The rest of the RPGs I could recommend that you didn't mention are all Japanese, though. (Well, so is Dragon's Dogma, but its design is closer to western styles than Japanese.)

Yora
2013-09-22, 01:50 PM
Dark Souls is Japanese (I think), doesn't really matter where it's from as long as it's good.
I just dont't feel like Final Fantasy with their 2000 random encounters that last for a single round, while watching somy whiny 14 year old with spiky hair. (FF10 worked because I figured out pretty early that Tidus is a hero only in his own mind and for everyone else is just "that weird kid we picked up somehwere and allow to tag along".)

Wayac
2013-09-22, 01:50 PM
Not sure if this is quite what you're looking for, but as it hasn't been mentioned yet Diablo 3 was recently released for the PS3. I've heard it got rid of several of the problems the PC version had.

Yora
2013-09-22, 02:01 PM
Yeah, I completely forgot about that one. Wouldn't want to play it on PC, but on console it might be fun for a while. If I can find it cheaply. Probably not playing it more than once.

I never got to finish Okami on PS2 and I think I didn't even make it anywhere near halfway through. Okami HD might really be worth the buy. (Simply because I now have a 24" widescreen.)

I also spotted Dishonored, a game I briefly noticed on released and that kind of looked interesting, but the hype seems to have vanished completely very soon after that. Is there something disappointing about it or is it actually a good nod towards the Thief series?

Terraoblivion
2013-09-22, 02:08 PM
Okami HD would be very worth it if you enjoyed the game at all. The gorgeous visuals are a big part of the game and the move to HD would probably serve them quite well.

Also, I personally found Dishonored rather disappointing. It tries very hard to be Thief, but it doesn't quite get it. The areas are all pretty linear and the writing takes the cynicism of Thief to a cartoonish extreme where investment is lost because everyone is horrible scum without any redeeming features and the city is a collapsing pile of ruins. It also fails to make the areas interesting since with a few exceptions it is all the same few ruined pieces of furniture and ruined rooms copy-pasted over and over and rearranged in slightly different ways.

Yora
2013-09-22, 02:22 PM
I see. Sounds like one of those game where you have to bring huge enthusiasm for the setting (like DA2 or ME3), which I just really don't have for Dishonored. Not a fan of 19th century fantasy.

Zevox
2013-09-22, 02:49 PM
Dark Souls is Japanese (I think), doesn't really matter where it's from as long as it's good.
I just dont't feel like Final Fantasy with their 2000 random encounters that last for a single round, while watching somy whiny 14 year old with spiky hair. (FF10 worked because I figured out pretty early that Tidus is a hero only in his own mind and for everyone else is just "that weird kid we picked up somehwere and allow to tag along".)
That's just the thing though - with all of the games you cited being western in style (at least from what I've heard about Dark Souls, I haven't actually played it), I don't know that more Japanese-style games would be what you want here. Especially since you mentioned that another, more Japanese-style game, Valkyria Chronicles, is not what you're looking for at the moment.

Yora
2013-09-23, 02:31 AM
If a developer from Japan has created a game that is not about teenagers saving the world, it's all fine with me.
Though it's true, Valkyria Chronicles is rather leaning towards the grittier and and no bright-pink-purple-magic side. But it's still mostly a childrens cartoon style game with adorable animals and a (skipable) beach episode. Which Dark Souls and Metal Gear Solid don't.

Airk
2013-09-23, 09:28 AM
If a developer from Japan has created a game that is not about teenagers saving the world, it's all fine with me.
Though it's true, Valkyria Chronicles is rather leaning towards the grittier and and no bright-pink-purple-magic side. But it's still mostly a childrens cartoon style game with adorable animals and a (skipable) beach episode. Which Dark Souls and Metal Gear Solid don't.

Sure, if that's your only criteria, Try Nier. It's about a western style middle-aged, embittered, bland protagonist saving the world.

I don't think you're going to get a lot of positive help if you start writing off smart games as "Children's cartoons."

Yora
2013-09-23, 09:49 AM
Why? Sure Valkyria Chronicles is a great game.
But it has 12 year old girls in skirts as special forces troops and a cute little flying pigglet and a giant of a man who gets all excited about lecturing about the awesomeness of vegetables.

This game IS a cartoon for 12 year olds, and a rather decent one, 50% of the time, with the other half being a really great tactical squad-game.

Xeratos
2013-09-23, 11:18 AM
Might not be what you're looking for, but my first thought was Borderlands/ Borderlands 2. They're fps rpgs with a heavy dose of... let's call it low brow humor. There was a web series thing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=876X30YznqE) the creators did on youtube which does a pretty decent job of capturing the tone of the games. It's definitely mature content though.

I liked the first one, didn't so much care for the second one. They decided to go extremely heavy on the profanity for the sequel, which I felt detracted from the overall experience and made me not want to play it around my son, which was basically to say ever.

Yora
2013-09-23, 01:17 PM
Borderlands is something that has always been hovering at the edge of my sight. Always stuck in the "later, once I got the games I am more excited for" category.
Good mention, though.

Sylthia
2013-09-23, 02:04 PM
Tales of Graces and Tales of Xillia are both pretty fun. They are real time combat as opposed to turn based, though.

Airk
2013-09-23, 02:22 PM
This game IS a cartoon for 12 year olds,

I guess your cartoons for twelve year olds contain rather more death than mine, and address way more mature subject matter than most M-rated games...

My point (which you seem to support) is that the quality of a game has nothing to do with whether you perceive it as being for "12 year olds" or not, but you've apparently decided that all games from Japan involve teenagers saving the world and are not worth playing?

Tales of Graces and Tales of Xillia are both pretty fun. They are real time combat as opposed to turn based, though.

Nope, sorry, Teenagers save the world. :P

The Rose Dragon
2013-09-23, 04:07 PM
But it has 12 year old girls in skirts as special forces troops and a cute little flying pigglet and a giant of a man who gets all excited about lecturing about the awesomeness of vegetables.

That 12-year old girl is possibly the third most powerful character you get in the game, you know (right after Alicia and Rosie).