PDA

View Full Version : Rise of the Runelords Ranger/Sorcerer Help

Thundersroar
2013-09-22, 12:36 PM
Greetings everyone. I'm looking for some help to make an existing character a little better, ways that I can tweak him to make him more adept at what I want him to do. A little backstory first: I am playing Rise of the Runelords as a duo campaign. So far, despite all of the rather huge bonus' afforded to my character, I have been getting my ass handed to me. The DM has given me permission to change him as necessary so that it is more balanced, and I have a chance of surviving the thing. I love the concept of the character, and would like to keep as much of the flavour he has as possible.Here is the character:

Dias is a bombastic Half-elf Crossblooded Sorcerer(Djinn/Blue Dragon)/Ranger. He has a penchant for electrocuting things, and any energy spell he casts is generally switched to electricity. He spends much of his time roaming the wilds around Sandpoint, though he occasionally helps the town guard out. He likes to mix it up in melee with his bastard sword(two handed).

So here is the basics of our character creation:
Level 3 Gestalt
Mythic Tier 2(will rise to tier 10 by the end of the game, providing I survive that long)
Max HP
Stats 18,17,16,15,14,13

Here is what I have so far:
S 16
D 17
C 15
I 13
W 14
CH 20

HP: 39
F/R/W: 6/7/6

Feats:
Archery Style(Point Blank Shot)
Combat Casting
Precise Shot
Endurance(Ranger)

Abilities:
Favored Enemy(Goblins +2) At fifth level, my goblin points will stay the same, and then I am going to add Giants as my main favoured enemy.

Bloodline:
Electric Ray
Draconic Resistances (5 Electricity resist, +1 natural armor)

Mythic Abilities/Feats:
Archmage/Champion
Mage Strike
Wild Arcana
Extra Path Ability
Enduring Armor

Spells:
Shocking Grasp(Bloodline)
Burning Hands
Touch of Gracelessness

As it stands, I am using a MW Bastard, MW Longbow. I don't usually use my long bow, it is just there in case something is out of reach of my electric ray bloodline ability.
Choices:
I chose the Archery style so I can hit things in combat with my allies.
I chose archmage for the Mage Strike ability primarily, and Wild Arcana(unless I am reading it wrong) gives me access to a schwack of spells I normally wouldn't be able to cast because of my limited spells known, also giving me access to some battlefield control(though I really don't want that to be my focus, blasting things is more his style and mine).
I haven't added in my next tier's boosts, though I am leaning towards Bloodline Intensity.

So, what say you all? Any ideas how I can make him a bit better going forward? Anything I can do to tweak him now?

We have access to most of the major books(PG, APG, UE, UM, UC and Mythic Adventures).

Looking forward to hearing from you guys.

Keneth
2013-09-22, 01:30 PM
I do have one question: How do you manage to get your ass handed to you with a gestalt mythic character in a campaign made for an average party of base classes? Is your GM using the old version and ramping it up with mythic monsters, or what? :smallconfused:

Thundersroar
2013-09-22, 01:54 PM
Honestly, I don't know. A few bad rolls didn't help, and a big part is a lack of damage output between me and the other character(goblin sorc/barb). However, that isn't the question I was asking, and I know that we stray into giant territory very soon, and they win the hp race.

Keneth
2013-09-22, 03:02 PM
I don't see how. Two sorcerers should easily be able to take down anything the Runelords adventure path throws at them, plus you're both gestalt warriors with mythic tiers; It should be a breeze. I've been running Runelords for a while now, and while it can certainly be a brutal AP at times (especially with me in GM chair), I don't think a duo like yours should have any trouble with anything but the boss fights.

Giants don't come around until Chapter 3 (APL 7+), and even when they do, it's not that bad. You should be able to take them in small numbers over a longer period of time. None of the events in RotR are particularly rushed, there's almost always time for preparation and guerrilla tactics unless your GM is changing the flow or railroading you too hard.

One of you should probably invest more heavily into battlefield control spells, and both of you could benefit from some extra defensive spells if you're getting pounded too hard. Basic defenses, like mage armor, shield, protection from evil, mirror image, blur, etc. should be more than enough for the vast majority of encounters in the first two chapters. Also consider charm person since you're fighting mostly humanoids, grease and web as basic control spells, and vanish (or invisibility) for quick retreats.

I don't know why you're using a bastard sword; Use a proper two-handed weapon. If it's only for fluff reason, a -1 to damage compared to greatswords isn't that much of a hit, but the difference between the two swords as far as fluff is concerned is negligible if you're not using the bastard sword in one hand (which you shouldn't). Archery style is probably a waste, your best damaging spells are either AoE or melee touch. You'll be much better off with the Two-Handed Weapon style.

Ability scores look good as they are. Personally, I'd go with Str 17, Dex 15, Con 16 since Dex is eventually gonna become pointless if you're not gonna focus heavily on ranged attacks.

No advice on mythic choices at this point other than to say that Wild Arcana is definitely a must.