PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Recommended Cleric Divination Spells?

Luckmann
2013-09-22, 12:59 PM
Alright, so, I'm working on a character that I'll hopefully get into a game soon. In a nutshell, for better or worse, it's going to end up having +5 to Cast.lvl. for Divination Spells.

Spellgifted Trait (+1 Divination Cast.lvl., -1 all others)
Knowledge Domain (+1 Divination Cast.lvl.)
Truth Domain (+1 Divination Cast.lvl.)
Oracle Domain (+2 Divination Cast.lvl.)

This isn't really concious optimization on my part, but simply how the concept worked out and evolved as I was working on it.

Either way, as per topic.

Are there any stellar Divination spells on the Cleric's spell list? If it's of any relevance whatsoever, it's actually a Cloistered Cleric. Preferably, for obvious reasons, spells that scale with Caster Level, but honestly, any Divination Spells that are available to Clerics would do, prioritizing those that doesn't deal damage (but by all means, mention those too!).

Cheers.

GilesTheCleric
2013-09-22, 01:56 PM
All divination spells are good, and most the powerful ones are in core. There's also assay SR (SC 17), circle dance (SC 46), divine insight (SC 70), glimpse of the prophesy (MoF 96), healing lorecall (SC 110), identify transgressor (BoVD 97, 3.0), know bloodline (LoEF 32), know opponent (SC 129), know protections (MoF 104), know vulnerabilities (MoF 104), lore of the gods (CC 124), and scry location (CS 102). I've left out a few spells (a lot of detect x) — but these are the important ones from outside core.

The extra CL will be good for your scrying spells, and for divination. No divination spells deal damage. There's probably an exploit to make them do damage in the vein of the locate city bomb, but doing something like would clearly be abuse.

Other than scrying and asking your god the answer to the meaning of life, the best use you'll get out of divination spells will be lowering spell resistance. Don't forget that with scry and greater scry, you can cast a limited number of spells through the sensor.