PDA

View Full Version : Need help.... archer build

Totenkopfer
2013-09-22, 02:09 PM
I need some help. We started a new DnD 3.5 campaign and I'm playing an Aasimar. A little backstory, the char is a "demigod" from an elven god so hence the race, just go with it but it affects the stats and level. Rolled stats are as follows and can be moved as suggested. 17, 16, 16, 11, 16, 11 ...... and then +2 to Wis and Char from race. I want to play an archer/two handed sword wielder, I have an awesome figure I'm using. There is another guy playing a ranger/scout/skimisher type so I don't want to go that route.

Stating level 3
Starting gold 2700

As it is right now I built as a ranger and took weapon focus longbow as my feat, having bought a MW +3 compound longbow. This of course can change. Our campaigns generally run to about level 15-18.

Any help appreciated. :smallsmile:

Juntao112
2013-09-22, 02:12 PM
Archery and two-handed fighting are often exclusive. Am I correct in assuming you enjoy archery more?

Snowbluff
2013-09-22, 02:13 PM
Scout/Ranger is a good combo. In general, ranger is a good class for what you describe, which is called a Switch Hitter. Grab Power Attack and Quickdraw, and take the Archery Combat style.

PrC Range (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/prestigiousCharacterClasses.htm)r would also be good. Start with an archer cleric, and finish with more ranger abilities. It covers divinity, and is good in late-game.

Another good option would be to grab a way to cast arcane spells (like Sword of the Arcane Order), get levels in Arcane Archer. After than, go into Divine Crsuader for the appropriate domain.

Totenkopfer
2013-09-22, 02:14 PM
Yes, Archery is primary. The two-handed sword is my melee weapon. Not wasting feats in it.

Juntao112
2013-09-22, 02:16 PM
In that case, Ranger is a fine choice. An archery fighter will deal more damage, but Rangers have better skills, so they can actually Spot the things they are trying to shoot.

You may want to consider multiclassing into Fighter for the bonus feats, though. Archery is rather feat intensive.

Werephilosopher
2013-09-22, 02:16 PM
The Archery Handbook should prove helpful, I've used it many times in the past with great success.
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=642.0

I also recall a weapon enchantment that allows a weapon to switch between longbow and melee weapon forms; besides the switching enchantment, which affects both forms, each form keeps track of it's own enchantments.

Sorry I'm not being more in-depth, I'm in a bit of a hurry but noticed your queries. Hopefully this helps. :smallsmile:

EDIT: Typical new guy, not knowing how to post links. :smallfrown:

Snowbluff
2013-09-22, 02:17 PM
There's an elvencraft bow that acts as a quarterstaff or longbow.

EDIT: Typical new guy, not knowing how to post links. :smallfrown:
Text (the link)

Yes, Archery is primary. The two-handed sword is my melee weapon. Not wasting feats in it.

If that's the case, why bother telling use about it? :smalltongue:

Totenkopfer
2013-09-22, 02:21 PM
Ok, clarification on the sword, as I had it planned not spending feats on it, but I'm here for input so, I'm open to build ideas. :)

SciChronic
2013-09-22, 02:25 PM
i would drop weapon focus, spending a feat for a measly +1 is kind of a waste.

Take Precise Shot, cause it's kind of necessary, followed by Point Blank Shot since its the prerequisite of pretty much every worthwhile archery feat. Look into getting Woodland Archer (RotW) by around level 9.

Since aasimar is a +Wis race, consider dumping Dex and pumping into Wis and grabbing the Zen Archery feat, drawback is you'll want 13 Dex anyway for Rapid Shot.

And of course there's always the blanket feat known as Item Familiar

As for race, while aasimar isnt exactly ideal for archery, consider taking the lesser variant. You become Humanoid(Planetouched) rather than Outsider(native) and lose the +1 LA becoming a +0 LA race. If you don't want to do that, then talk to your DM about allowing the LA buyoff found in UA (and make sure your DM gives xp correctly).

Emperor Tippy
2013-09-22, 02:48 PM
Factotum 3/ Martial Monk 2/ Factotum 5/ Swordsage 10.

Martial Monk takes Distant Shot and Perfect Two Weapon Fighting as it's bonus feats. Also take the Decisive Strike and Invisible Fist variants.

Grab regular TWF and use daggers or shortswords, your TWF attack routine is now identical to your normal attack routine except at -2 AB.

Take Point Blank Shot and Precise Shot.

Take Adaptive Style and Shadow Blade.

Max Int and Dex.

Spend all other feats on Font of Inspiration, remember to use Embrace and Shun the Dark Chaos to make Improved Unarmed Strike into Font of Inspiration as well.

Spend your gold on a very good bow.

Now you get to shoot your enemies with no range penalties and no maximum range, can add Int to your attack and damage, get Int to Initiative, and get to make a ton of attacks in a turn thanks to Cunning Surge.

In Melee you still have Cunning Insight, Cunning Surge, up to 8th level Swordsage Maneuvers, TWF with only a -2 penalty, and get Dex to damage in addition to Str and Int when you want it.

Factotum's make the deadliest archers of any base class in the game.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-09-22, 02:55 PM
Switch your race to Elf and get the feat Otherworldly (PGtF) to switch your creature type to Outsider. Make him an aspect/offpring of an elven god, and you don't have to start with a level adjustment. I'd take Zen Archery (CW) to use Wisdom instead of Dex on ranged attack rolls, and use Snow Elf (Str 16, Dex 13, Con 16, Int 11, Wis 17, Cha 14) or Wood Elf (Str 18, Dex 11, Con 14, Int 9, Wis 17, Cha 16). Snow Elf would be the preferred choice.

Go Cloistered Cleric (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#clericVariantCloistere dCleric) of an ideal rather than a specific deity, trade your free Knowledge domain for Knowledge Devotion (CC), with the Elf and Planning domains. Take two flaws (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/characterFlaws.htm) (more here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258440#30)) and you'll be able to start with Extend Spell from Planning, Persistent Spell plus Divine Metamagic (CD) for it, Otherworldly, and Zen Archery. Get a Reliquary Holy Symbol (MIC) and you can Persist one spell every day starting out. I'd make that spell either Blessed Aim (SC) or Elation (BoED) for yourself and your whole party. You also get plenty of hour/level buffs like Magic Vestment and Greater Magic Weapon and 24-hour buffs like Greater/Superior Resistance. As soon as you can afford it get a standard Strand of Prayer Beads with the Bead of Smiting removed (9,000 gp per DMG pricing) so you can use the Bead of Karma to get +4 caster level when casting your buffs. I'd also get a Lesser Rod of Extend for the hour/level buffs.

For future classes, consider jumping straight into Church Inquisitor (CD) if your alignment agrees with it. If not, include in your character's background the 'special' prerequisite for Ruathar (RotW), and take that long enough to get the required Survival ranks for a single level of Seeker of the Misty Isle (CD). Your 11th-20th levels should be in Contemplative (CD), the first domain it gives you should be Spell, the second should be Destiny. Get tons of Night Sticks (LM), the benefit is not expressed as a bonus so multiples stack, plus it emulates the Extra Turning feat which specifically stacks with itself. There are plenty of spells you can persist (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7543.0;wap2), but many of those at that link aren't on the Cleric list. You want Divine Power asap, the Spell domain gives you Anyspell for Shield, and Greater Anyspell for Draconic Polymorph from the Draconomicon which you can use to take the form of an Arrow Demon in MM3. You should also persist the Destiny domain's 9th level spell once you get it.