PDA

View Full Version : Possibly Teaching Computer Classes ...

Chainsaw Hobbit
2013-09-22, 02:29 PM
On the small island where I live (population 1,400), my father teaches beginning computer classes as a service to the community. The turnout is not nearly as high as he would like. I may be taking over for him and teaching the classes myself, and if I do, I could change the structure in hopes of attracting a larger audience.

The class is currently geared towards complete beginners, and is not specific to any particular hardware of software. My father teaches people how to use their phones, tablets, and laptops alike. This isn't working out. One or two people show up to each class at the very most.

If I take over, I will probably try to change the audience a bit. I could teach things like blogging, internet safety, basic Photoshop, advanced search engine use, or other things - depending on who shows up.

Any thoughts on how I should run the classes, or how I could expand the audience?

Brother Oni
2013-09-22, 06:04 PM
It could possibly be that the low turnout is due to lack of awareness. Have you tried advertising or otherwise making such a class is available better known?

The next step in advertising is to know who you're trying to entice. Complete beginners is only part of it - different age or social groups may want different things: for example, grandparents may want to know how to use Skype or other communications programs to stay in touch with their children/grandchildren (including hardware setup), while someone else may want to improve their knowledge with Office so that they can become more productive.

It may be that what your father is teaching is simply too basic - you know the demographics of your island better than I do.

Once you've got some prospective students, find out what they want out of the class and try to organise a syllabus or a schedule of some sort, so you have a plan of what's being taught and when, then give it them that plan.

After you know what you're teaching, it's lesson plan time. You need to account for how much time you have, how many people are likely to turn up, what resources (equipment, room size, etc) you have and what depth you intend to go into (this is dependent on their background knowledge and how detailed you want to make it).

A proper lesson plan with timings is heading way into overkill territory, but it's a good idea to have a rough plan of what you're planning to teach in a session.

bluewind95
2013-09-25, 07:29 PM
Also as more people stop being complete beginners, you might want to have different "levels". Maybe beginner, intermediate, advanced?

MethosH
2013-09-25, 10:52 PM
It is a good thing to know the avarage age of your island. These classes tend to attract older people that didn't had any contact with tech. And only the older people that didn't show up for these classes in previous years.

George Mousavi
2014-05-08, 12:05 AM
Online computer training courses are presented in various means as well. Several on line computer training websites have a large amount of important information for study as e-books in the pretty much common Pdf file data format.But i recommend joining Computer Traning Classes New york (https://plus.google.com/108775660642231540606) as they offered my online courses as well as individual training to Learn Computer.