PDA

View Full Version : Mutants and Masterminds 3e - Removable non-device

wagnerloeher
2013-09-22, 03:05 PM
I'm having troubles to think about a certain power.

I want a char similar to "Pantheon" from LoL. He is a spear wielder.
So I first thought about Damage power with Removable flaw. But this makes look like the Spear in itself is the power, not the char skill.

I want to make a char that can be disarmed, but the power is when he wields spears (any spear, not a special one). So all the powers from Damage (Penetrating, Incurable, etc) will apply if he wields a spear, but not any other weapon.

Should I make it with the flaw Removable, or make it in another way, as with a flaw that gives the condition "as long as its a spear" or something. How much would it cost? It would be disarmable as any other weapon. Thanks.

EDIT: Same for a shield with the power Deflect (and Reflect).

The_Snark
2013-09-22, 03:18 PM
Power Loss is typically represented as a complication in M&M 3e; depending on weapons or other objects is actually one of the examples given. See page 28.

In older editions this would have been a flaw that gave a flat discount 1 or 2 points, no scaling - a power that works with any spear (or any spear-like object) is a lot less of a drawback than a power that only works with one specific spear. If you're unhappy with modeling it as a Complication, ask your GM about that.

wagnerloeher
2013-09-22, 03:28 PM
Guess Power Loss Complication will have to do then. Thanks.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-09-22, 04:52 PM
I'd call it a 1-point quirk in a fantasy setting. In a modern game, it'd be a significantly larger one, maybe even a limit-- how often are you going to find spears in New York?

wagnerloeher
2013-09-22, 05:36 PM
Exactly! I'll make them a limit (Only when wielding a spear) for the Damage power and (only when wielding a shield) for the Deflect. Yes, it'll be in modern days, he'll be a misplaced-in-time god-kin thingy... Thanks! That's what I was looking for.

The_Snark
2013-09-22, 07:18 PM
I'd call it a 1-point quirk in a fantasy setting. In a modern game, it'd be a significantly larger one, maybe even a limit-- how often are you going to find spears in New York?

... if you carry a brace of them around on your back? Pretty often; you might have trouble if you run into trouble outside costume, but any hero with a secret identity (complication!) or equipment-based powers (Removable flaw) will run into those issues. Or you could improvise something by grabbing a length of pipe, or a stop sign, or a sharp stick...

I wouldn't use the Limited flaw for this, as it gives a greater bonus than Removable despite being much easier to deal with.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-09-22, 10:39 PM
... if you carry a brace of them around on your back? Pretty often; you might have trouble if you run into trouble outside costume, but any hero with a secret identity (complication!) or equipment-based powers (Removable flaw) will run into those issues. Or you could improvise something by grabbing a length of pipe, or a stop sign, or a sharp stick...

I wouldn't use the Limited flaw for this, as it gives a greater bonus than Removable despite being much easier to deal with.
Obviously you can't use Limited if you have a near-endless supply of spears; in that case it's just Damage with a power-loss complication. I'm assuming wagnerloeher meant that he had his one spear bought with Equipment points and that was it.

The Rose Dragon
2013-09-22, 10:41 PM
There is actually a flaw from 2nd Edition, Weapon-Dependent, which gives a discount of 1 power point per rank and makes your power only work with a single type of weapon. However, the cost is balanced for the power (Martial Arts) Stance, which is effectively a Container. While it might not be a good idea to balance 3rd Edition costs on 2nd Edition, a rough equivalent in terms of point costs would be making the Device hard to remove instead of easy to remove.

lorddarktelefax
2014-08-27, 05:25 AM
Do you play 2'ed or 3'ed edition.
If it is 3'ed, then your spear and Sheild would have to have the flaw "easily removable", because both can be removed from you with a disarm or grab action.
Which would do that the device would cost flat 2-points less, for every 5 points the device is worth.
So a device costing 24 point before aplying the flat modefieres would cost 14, because it would be 24-(2X5)=14.

As for it counting as a complication, then it says in the book, and on the 3'ed website:
REMOVABLE AND COMPLICATIONS

The temporary loss of a removable power does not constitute a complication, any more than the result of any other flaw. You can have a device or power-object as a descriptor without this flaw, if you wish, in which case the power cannot be removed or taken away from you without a complication applied by the GM (earning you a victory point) or the use of an effect like Nullify, which has predefined conditions for recovery

So that would mean you wouldn't take it as a powerloss complication, because it is already in the fact that it is a flaw.

If you are making the power in 2'ed, then I don't know :)

I'm having troubles to think about a certain power.

I want a char similar to "Pantheon" from LoL. He is a spear wielder.
So I first thought about Damage power with Removable flaw. But this makes look like the Spear in itself is the power, not the char skill.

I want to make a char that can be disarmed, but the power is when he wields spears (any spear, not a special one). So all the powers from Damage (Penetrating, Incurable, etc) will apply if he wields a spear, but not any other weapon.

Should I make it with the flaw Removable, or make it in another way, as with a flaw that gives the condition "as long as its a spear" or something. How much would it cost? It would be disarmable as any other weapon. Thanks.

EDIT: Same for a shield with the power Deflect (and Reflect).

Sith_Happens
2014-08-27, 03:19 PM
Huh, I didn't realize that this thread had Immortality. How much would an eleven month revival time cost, considering that one rank is already only two weeks?:smalltongue:

Lord Raziere
2014-08-27, 06:18 PM
Huh, I didn't realize that this thread had Immortality. How much would an eleven month revival time cost, considering that one rank is already only two weeks?:smalltongue:

Lesse, 0.5 would be a month, 0.25 would be two months, 0.125 would be four months, 0.0625 would be eight months, 0.03125 would be sixteen, now divide that by eight then multiply that result by three, then subtract it (0.0117) from 0.0625....and it would be....0.0508 point cost! :smalltongue: real cheap.

Sith_Happens
2014-08-27, 06:37 PM
Lesse, 0.5 would be a month, 0.25 would be two months, 0.125 would be four months, 0.0625 would be eight months, 0.03125 would be sixteen, now divide that by eight then multiply that result by three, then subtract it (0.0117) from 0.0625....and it would be....0.0508 point cost! :smalltongue: real cheap.

Sadly, unless you can whip up a bunch of other similarly-cheap powers to Link it to the "minimum one point" rule makes it all for naught.