PDA

View Full Version : (3.X) Running a gestalt campaign - need help

gurgleflep
2013-09-22, 06:27 PM
Hey everybody, I'm planning on running a gestalt campaign for two players and would like to ask a few questions.

I guess it would be helpful if I supplied some information before going in and asking a bunch of questions, so here goes:

I've got about a month left to plan.
Players will start at level one.
Free 5 LA that must be used.
All sources but magazines are allowed (don't have any) and homebrew is case-by-case.
We're low-op.
No evil alignments.

If you would like to know anything else, please don't hesitate to ask.

And now, onto the questions!
Is it okay to gestalt a savage progression with an actual class? Just for example, a barbarian with the mind flayer - yes, I know it's an odd selection.

How do all the treasure, encounter, etc. tables work? I've DM'd before but never understood those things so treasure was just what I thought of that made sense to me.

And... well, that's all I can think of at the moment. I'll ask more throughout the thread.

herrhauptmann
2013-09-22, 07:12 PM
Question about your LA...
Are you using the normal rule where LA only takes up 1 side of the gestalt?
So a vampire rogue (LA +8) would look like this.

Rogue//vampire LA
Rogue//vampire LA
Rogue//vampire LA
Rogue//vampire LA
Rogue//vampire LA
Rogue//vampire LA
Rogue//vampire LA
Rogue//vampire LA
Rogue//Something

If not, how are they getting 5 LA at level 1? Is it free LA?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-09-22, 07:21 PM
Is it okay to gestalt a savage progression with an actual class?

Yes, but keep in mind each level of a savage progression that does not grant a hit die (nor skill points) is effectively a level of level adjustment. With your free 5 LA, you should give them the 'special' portion of the first five levels of any racial class for free, and move the HD any of those would have granted to a later level that did not previously grant a HD. Note this should only be done for racial classes of monsters that have at least a +5 LA.

How do all the treasure, encounter, etc. tables work?

A given monster has a Treasure entry in its stat block. For example, an Ogre (CR 3) has Treasure: Standard. On Table 3-5 on DMG p52, you would roll normally on the '3rd' section, because it's CR 3. If you want to throw two Ogres at the party, check Table 3-1 on DMG p49: The third column under '2' is for two creatures, follow down to '3' on that column because an Ogre is CR 3, and to the left in the first column for the encounter level you'll find 5. That means this is an Encounter Level 5, a suitable challenge for a 5th level party. Back to Table 3-5 you could roll normally on the '5th' section for a 5th level encounter, or you could roll twice on the '3rd' section for two CR 3 opponents.

gurgleflep
2013-09-23, 12:10 AM
Question about your LA...
Are you using the normal rule where LA only takes up 1 side of the gestalt?
So a vampire rogue (LA +8) would look like this.

Rogue//vampire LA
Rogue//vampire LA
Rogue//vampire LA
Rogue//vampire LA
Rogue//vampire LA
Rogue//vampire LA
Rogue//vampire LA
Rogue//vampire LA
Rogue//Something

If not, how are they getting 5 LA at level 1? Is it free LA?

It's meant to be free LA - I was thinking through use of templates and race. Something like a drow (+2 LA) half-(dragon or fiend, I can't remember which has an LA of +3), essentially ignoring the level adjustment. I stink at explaining things, sorry :smallsigh:

Is it okay to gestalt a savage progression with an actual class?

Yes, but keep in mind each level of a savage progression that does not grant a hit die (nor skill points) is effectively a level of level adjustment. With your free 5 LA, you should give them the 'special' portion of the first five levels of any racial class for free, and move the HD any of those would have granted to a later level that did not previously grant a HD. Note this should only be done for racial classes of monsters that have at least a +5 LA.

How do all the treasure, encounter, etc. tables work?

A given monster has a Treasure entry in its stat block. For example, an Ogre (CR 3) has Treasure: Standard. On Table 3-5 on DMG p52, you would roll normally on the '3rd' section, because it's CR 3. If you want to throw two Ogres at the party, check Table 3-1 on DMG p49: The third column under '2' is for two creatures, follow down to '3' on that column because an Ogre is CR 3, and to the left in the first column for the encounter level you'll find 5. That means this is an Encounter Level 5, a suitable challenge for a 5th level party. Back to Table 3-5 you could roll normally on the '5th' section for a 5th level encounter, or you could roll twice on the '3rd' section for two CR 3 opponents.

Thanks for telling me how to do the progression/class gestalt, that's going to make things quite a bit easier on me and the players :smallsmile: And thanks for the simple explanation on how to use the treasure table as, that thing's baffled me from the start.