PDA

View Full Version : Skills, Skill Tricks and Mundane Items (3.5)

QuickLyRaiNbow
2013-09-22, 07:03 PM
I'm in a modified E6 campaign right now, playing a FS Conjurer focused on tactical teleportation. I'm trying to get as much mileage out of spells like Slide and Dimension Hop as I can. It's quite fun, and part of the reason is that you've got to think a bit more than you would when you just plop down a Glitterdust. However, when you get past all the tactical options a Wizard has for not being in position to take damage, I'm fairly squishy. I'm also extremely willing to die to save another character. The other character most likely to die is a fairly unoptimized Rogue who rolled extremely badly for HP and has less than your average 1st-level Barbarian. So, in advance of needing one, I'm working on a replacement. I'm going to do something skill-focused, in the genre of an explorer, and am looking at some combination (or not) of Feat Rogue, Psychic Rogue, Marshal, Scout, Bard, Factotum, Ranger, Artificer or Expert. Other suggested classes would be welcome.

What I'm looking for more, though, are useful skills, skill tricks and mundane items - tanglefoot bags, 10-foot poles and the like - and creative and interesting ways to use them, both in and out of combat. I'm hoping to replicate the improvised, more cerebral combat style I've gotten used to without having spells, and without having to resort to Skirmishing, Sneak Attacking or Power Attacking in order to pull my weight. Fortunately, I don't have much weight to pull as our standard party is a Greataxe-using, non-Power-Attacking Cleric and basically-Core only Paladin and Rogue. Sometimes we're joined by a Core Monk. I'd like to provide battlefield control without being a spiked chain tripper and without having access to Enlarge Person.

Any thoughts?

unseenmage
2013-09-22, 08:03 PM
Shapesand from the Sandstorm book used as the physical materials for mundane mechanical traps. Especially the Booby Traps from DMG2.

One dose of Shapesand can't be an item that weighs more than 12 lbs or that occupies more than a 5' space (for your average 10-11 Wis score). And it takes minutes = DC to shape the stuff.

Means that some of the traps, where it mentions that it attacks more then 1 square, would require 2 doses of Shapessand to construct but other then that and a nod towards weight limits it's a semi-clever use for the stuff.

Edit: also a bad idea are traps that fire arrow, darts, or nets as ammunition is destroyed on impact and nets/bindings are destroyed with a Str check and depending on the DM this might destroy the Shapesand.

Edit again: Remembered i had a list of potential traps just for this purpose. Towards the bottom they might not be E6 though.

Alarm DMG2pg41
Duster DMG2pg41
Knockback DMG2pg41
Sticker DMG2pg41
Tripline DMG2pg41
Weapon Grabber DMG2pg41
Trapped Weapon DMG2pg46
Razor Wire Across Hallway DMG71
Rolling Rock Trap DMG71
Swinging Block Trap DMG71
Bricks from Ceiling DMG71
Large Net Trap DMG71