PDA

View Full Version : Zinc Saucier XVIII: An Illithid Affair

mattie_p
2013-09-22, 07:24 PM
Welcome one and all to the eighteenth Zinc Saucier challenge, where Playgrounders come to test their skill in the art of beautiful and bizarre (and bizarrely beautiful) builds, summoning a savory dish of superb swordplay and sublime sorcery.

The challenge? To come up with a build that has the same abilities and feel as the Secret Ingredient WITHOUT actually using it!

For the eighteenth challenge, get ready to overchannel your inner aberration, from the Complete Psionic it's the Flayerspawn Psychic!

Our challengers will have about 2 weeks to build a complete build up to Effective Character Level 20 using a 32 point buy and all official WOTC D&D 3.5 materials (excluding dragon magazine, but including any WOTC online enhancements) with the abilities and feel of a Flayerspawn Psychic without actually using any levels in it. Competitors will receive a total of 209,999 experience points, expressly permitting LA buy-off or other tricks.

Entries must be submitted by Sunday, 11:59pm GMT, 6 October, 2013. As usual, please submit your entries via private message to the chairman, so as not to influence the other sauciers.

Judges will then have until Sunday, 11:59pm GMT, 20 October, 2013, to post scores for all dishes.

Contestants will be judged and awarded a score out of 5 in each of 4 categories;

* Innovation (Uniqueness in character concept, race, class, etc)
* Power (How powerful and versatile it is compared to the base class)
* Elegance (What can only be described as how well the build "flows", i.e not using lots of 1-2lv dips, sacrificing flavour for power or using flaws)
* Ingredient (How well the build captures the abilities and feel of the base class)

Presentation would be best in the style of how the iron chef does their presentations, however any style is allowed so long as it is clear on how the build was made.

Recommended style:NAME OF ENTRY
{table=head]Level|Class|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Skills|Feats|Class Features

1st|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

2nd|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

3rd|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

4th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

5th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

6th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

7th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

8th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

9th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

10th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

11th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

12th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

13th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

14th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

15th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

16th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

17th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

18th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

19th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

20th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities[/table]

Copy and Paste:NAME OF ENTRY
{table=head]Level|Class|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Skills|Feats|Class Features

1st|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

2nd|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

3rd|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

4th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

5th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

6th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

7th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

8th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

9th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

10th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

11th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

12th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

13th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

14th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

15th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

16th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

17th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

18th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

19th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

20th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities[/table]

For entries with spellcasting, use the following table for Spells per day and Spells Known. (Spells Known only if necessary, i.e. Sorcerer or Bard, but not Wizard or Warmage). For other systems (Psionics, ToB, Incarnum, etc.) keep track of PP/maneuvers/essentia separately, preferably in a nice neat list, similar to this:
Spells per day/Spells Known
{table=head]Level|0lvl|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th|7th|8th|9th

1st|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

2nd|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

3rd|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

4th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

5th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

6th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

7th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

8th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

9th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

10th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

11th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

12th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

13th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

14th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

15th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

16th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

17th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

18th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

19th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

20th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-[/table]

Copy and Paste:Spells per day/Spells Known
{table=head]Level|0lvl|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th|7th|8th|9th

1st|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

2nd|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

3rd|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

4th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

5th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

6th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

7th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

8th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

9th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

10th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

11th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

12th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

13th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

14th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

15th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

16th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

17th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

18th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

19th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

20th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-[/table]

Please do not post details of your build on the board before it is ready, so as not to spoil the surprise for others.

Sauciers may submit as many builds as they want but please don't use leadership, as we don't want to overfeed the judges.

Previous challenges;
Soulknife (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225187)
Bard (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229736)
Monk (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233749)
Assassin (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239294)
Barbarian (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243627)
Warlock (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=247169)
Paladin * (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252932)
Warblade (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256004)
Pyrokineticist (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259654)
Ninja * (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263278)
Druid (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265347)
True Necromancer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=276267)
Dervish (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=280212)
Whisperknife (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285337)
Epic Infiltrator * (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=289233)
Master of Vipers (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=295287)
Ranger * (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=298478)

* Classes marked with an asterisk have had their original posts updated to reflect the final results.

This competition is inspired by the Playground Iron Chef Competitions and uses mostly identical rules.

Also it comes with double prize money.

Allez Sauciers!

mattie_p
2013-09-22, 07:25 PM
A few administrative notes:

Competitors will be free to use any official 3.5 rulebook in constructing their builds. Dragon magazine is disallowed, and Unearthed Arcana is allowed; but see Elegance below. Web-exclusive 3.0 or 3.5 materials by WotC are expressly allowed, but take care to verify that an updated version did not appear in print elsewhere, as this may cause an Elegance deduction at the judges' discretion. Alternate rule systems from UA such as gestalt are not allowed, as they create a different playing field. Also, item familiars are forbidden because I hate 'em.

Power level is up to you. Cheese is acceptable, but should be kept to a sane level unless you're showcasing a new TO build you've discovered. In the words of one of my predecessors, a little cheddar can be nice, but avoid the mature Gruyere unless you're making a cheese fondue.

Elegance could bear a little elaboration. It basically measures how skillfully you put your build together, and whether you sacrificed flavor for power. We're cooking here - if your dish doesn't taste good, it doesn't matter how well-presented it is. Use of flaws is an automatic loss of one point per flaw in this category. Other things that will cause lost points here are excessive multiclassing, and classes that don't fit the concept - using Cloistered Cleric in a front-line melee fighter, for example, may lose you points. Please note the following: a legal source's relative obscurity should not be considered as penalizing Elegance, excepting the aforementioned issues with Unearthed Arcana. Using too many sources may be an Elegance deduction at the judges' discretion, but a book's relative obscurity may not.

What's the minimum score in a category? Assuming an entry is legal, the minimum score in any category is 1. If a judge is convinced that an entry is illegal by the RAW, the judge may give a 0 or decline to score a given entry. Because this contest focuses on Player Characters, an entry that is not technically allowed for a PC, but is viable as an NPC, counts as a legal entry, but may receive a minimum score at the judges' discretion.

Is Dragon Compendium Allowed? Yes, but individual issues of Dragon Magazine are not.

What about 3.0 materials? 3.0 materials, whether online or in printed form, are allowed unless they've been officially updated to a 3.5 edition.

Are Dragonlance, Ravenloft, Planescape, Dark Sun, or Kingdoms of Kalamar allowable sources? The Dragonlance Campaign Setting is allowed, but the subsequent books for Dragonlance are considered 3rd party, and are therefore not eligible, despite the "WotC approved" status of those books. The same holds for Oriental Adventures (1st party) and the subsequent Rokugan books (3rd party). Materials from Ravenloft, Planescape, Dark Sun, and Kingdoms of Kalamar are considered 3rd party for purposes of this contest, and are therefore not allowed.

What about online sources in general? If the online source is a) published by WotC, and b) not replaced by an updated version at a later time, it is eligible. Use it, link it.

Where's the line drawn with "acceptable/unacceptable" for Unearthed Arcana? This will likely vary a bit from Chairman to Chairman. Variant class features and variant character classes are espressly permitted. Item Familiars and Gestalt have always been verboten, since before IC migrated to GitP; don't expect that to change. Flaws have similarly always been noted as warranting a deduction; while I am Chairman, I'm extending that to Traits, though they warrant 1/2 the penalty in Elegance that a Flaw would because they're roughly 1/2 as useful. Alternate spell systems, alternate skill systems and alternate crafting rules all create an uneven playing field, and as such, will be disallowed for as long as I am Chairman. Bloodlines are ripe for abuse, and will be discouraged as long as I am Chairman. Note that judges are allowed to look askance at any use of Unearthed Arcana not specifically mentioned above, at their discretion, and otherwise penalize Elegance according to their preference.

What does ECL (Effective Character Level) 20 mean again? It means that the sum of Racial Hit Dice, Class Levels, and Level Adjustment equals 20. Normally ECL 20 characters have 190,000 exp, you have a slightly higher total to permit level adjustment buy-off (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/reducingLevelAdjustments.htm) in accordance with the rules in Unearthed Arcana.

Level adjustment buy-off (from Unearthed Arcana) is expressly permitted in this particular competion, because you are granted a set experience point total of 209,999 to use. What you do with it is up to you. Mitigating EXP loss via thought bottle or other shenanigans is prohibited, though. Once you spend XP, you cannot get it back under any circumstances, nor can you claim "XP is a river," etc.

What, exactly, does the ban on Leadership mean? As folks have started to try to work around the edges of this one, I'm forced to spell it out more plainly. No Leadership, Draconic Cohort, or Feats that grant a similar ability are allowed EXCEPT Wild Cohort while I am chairman. Any PrC you choose with Leadership or a Leadership-analog has that ability entirely ignored for this contest, as it may neither be used nor traded away via any means whatsoever.

What's the minimum score in a category? Assuming an entry is legal, the minimum score in any category is 1. If a judge is convinced that an entry is illegal by the RAW, the judge may give a 0 or decline to score a given entry. Because this contest focuses on Player Characters, an entry that is not technically allowed for a PC, but is viable as an NPC, counts as a legal entry, but may receive a minimum score at the judges' discretion.

How the heck do I even do this? Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to select a combination of race, templates, classes, alternate class features, prestige classes, skills, and feats, meld them into a single character that progresses from ECL 1 to ECL 20, that is as close as possible to the secret ingredient as possible in look, feel, class features. How you do it is up to you, I recommend you read previous competitions if you are interested in seeing how others have done it before you. Capture the essence!

A thread for your amusement/edification:

Handy Tips for the Iron Chef in the Playground Noob (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=287603)

CyberThread
2013-09-22, 07:31 PM
<-< this is warlock bait, going to have to be more clever then that.

nobodez
2013-09-22, 07:41 PM
Um, I'm not competing, but you have a "Ranger" in place of "Flayerspawn Psychic" in the introductory post.

mattie_p
2013-09-22, 07:44 PM
Um, I'm not competing, but you have a "Ranger" in place of "Flayerspawn Psychic" in the introductory post.

Thanks, and also thanks to relytdan via pm, who alerted me to this. I thought I'd gotten all the changes.

relytdan
2013-09-22, 07:48 PM
quick like a bunny - I have a concept I will have to mull over.- I am in

Segev
2013-09-23, 12:14 AM
I somehow feel like dropping "Illithid" in as the race would be...cheating.

inuyasha
2013-09-23, 12:32 AM
Mmk I might contribute for the first time, I have a few questions however.

do we see anyone elses builds?

and when designing a build, I understand you must pre plan a character progression, is there a guide for how this works?

relytdan
2013-09-23, 01:09 AM
Mmk I might contribute for the first time, I have a few questions however.

do we see anyone elses builds?

and when designing a build, I understand you must pre plan a character progression, is there a guide for how this works?

se other builds not until they are posted by the chairman - then they are unknown authors - until judging is complete - see previous contests -

preplan a guide for it - um build a character with race, class ect - that in this case mimics the SI without using the SI - upto ECL 20 - format it, so it looks good, then pm it to the chairman when your satisfied - you have until the end of contest prior to judging -roughly 2 weeks- to submit an entry if you wish ...

* on that note - chairman if I missed anything feel free to enlighten.

CyberThread
2013-09-23, 01:14 AM
Don't use prestige ithalid slayer :P

relytdan
2013-09-23, 12:47 PM
I've already got mine! I just need to write up the history, and I'll be done.

However, it's nearly 2 am, and I'm tired, so I'll do the writeup later, yes?

sounds about like me - I may have to attempt another build as there is time.
*Edit - Chairman please confirm receipt of Entry

dysprosium
2013-09-23, 01:50 PM
I will be entering this one.

I have an idea but I think it might be too obvious but let's see how it plays out.

mattie_p
2013-09-23, 05:58 PM
relytdan, I've got it.

Rubik, glad to have you aboard. We're always looking for fresh meat victims ideas.

WhamBamSam
2013-09-23, 06:00 PM
I might have an idea here. We'll have to see if I can hammer it into something workable and whether I have time around this round's IC judging and real life responsibilities.

relytdan
2013-09-23, 08:30 PM
chairman please confirm entry 2 - thanks

mattie_p
2013-09-23, 08:58 PM
You know what? I had some ideas on how to do this, but given the way this is scored, I'll scrap that and leave you with my build:.

Umm, great? If someone actually entered that, you just spoiled it. So please edit your post to remove your feedback. Thanks.

Also, the point of this is to not just replicate the class, but to be better in every possible way.

mattie_p
2013-09-23, 09:08 PM
What, I can't add my entry here? Also, check the manifester level. It basically is.

You are supposed to send a private message to the chairman with your entry, rather than post it in the thread.

relytdan
2013-09-23, 10:41 PM
You know what? I had some ideas on how to do this, but given the way this is scored, I'll scrap that and leave you with my build:

( REDACTED )

That pretty well replicates the PrC in its entirety, and all it uses are Five feats and a power known.

^^^^^^^^^^^ REMOVE THE OFFENDING BUILD STUB^^^^^^^^^

Umm, great? If someone actually entered that, you just spoiled it. So please edit your post to remove your feedback. Thanks.

Also, the point of this is to not just replicate the class, but to be better in every possible way.

I am going to sencond what mattie_p stated edit your post and remove the build stub.

DeAnno
2013-09-24, 01:31 AM
I think the trickiest part of this particular challenge is actually restraint. Getting the flavorful abilities without accidentally overshadowing them with not flavorful but stronger abilities is tricky.

CyberThread
2013-09-24, 02:51 PM
Well my spell counts as a stun, if your dead, you are stunned forever :P

Humble Master
2013-09-24, 06:56 PM
Count me in! I already have an idea, but I'll need to mull it over.

Edit: Double checking, we have 1 less xp than needed for 21st level and LA by off is allowed?

Kuulvheysoon
2013-09-24, 07:24 PM
Well, I did it. I just know that someone else is going to submit the exact same thing.

Humble Master
2013-09-24, 07:50 PM
Well, I did it. I just know that someone else is going to submit the exact same thing. I sense that a build with a monster race was submitted...

Newcomer
2013-09-24, 10:45 PM
Don't use prestige ithalid slayer :P

:smallamused:

I'm not going to participate in this one, as I'm completely unfamiliar with psionics. And I would offer to judge, but I don't have the system/optimization mastery to really be qualified. Ranger played to my strengths.

I'm eager to see the builds and happily spectate!!

mattie_p
2013-09-24, 11:02 PM
:smallamused:

I'm not going to participate in this one, as I'm completely unfamiliar with psionics. And I would offer to judge, but I don't have the system/optimization mastery to really be qualified. Ranger played to my strengths.

I'm eager to see the builds and happily spectate!!

You know, and I bring this up as chairman, you don't actually have to use psionics at all for a dish. See the official criteria:

* Innovation (Uniqueness in character concept, race, class, etc)

* Power (How powerful and versatile it is compared to the base class)

* Elegance (What can only be described as how well the build "flows", i.e not using lots of 1-2lv dips, sacrificing flavour for power or using flaws)

* Ingredient (How well the build captures the abilities and feel of the base class)

The only thing I might be concerned about is for the Use of Secret Ingredient. If you read carefully, it says captures the abilities and feel. If you can capture the abilities and feel by other systems, go for it. Nothing there says that you must use identical class features, including manifesting.

Segev
2013-09-24, 11:19 PM
Since this was nixed by virtue of--well, no, crud. I don't know that this wouldn't impact others' creativity points if they found a way to do it that I can't think of.

Chairman, you know what I asked you about, what do you think? Should I share the thought here as an example, or should I wait to share it until after submissions?

mattie_p
2013-09-24, 11:25 PM
Since this was nixed by virtue of--well, no, crud. I don't know that this wouldn't impact others' creativity points if they found a way to do it that I can't think of.

Chairman, you know what I asked you about, what do you think? Should I share the thought here as an example, or should I wait to share it until after submissions?

I'd recommend you wait. Speculation of all kinds, publicly posting ideas on how to qualify for or replicate a class, or even posting a concept will be strongly discouraged while I am chairman.

Missed this earlier

Edit: Double checking, we have 1 less xp than needed for 21st level and LA by off is allowed?

Correct on both counts.

Svata
2013-09-26, 01:12 PM
May end up doing this one, but am not particularly inspired by anything. I'll flip through my books and see if anything jumps out at me, though.

relytdan
2013-09-27, 01:10 PM
do we have any judges on this yet - or did I miss them?

mattie_p
2013-09-28, 10:38 AM
I haven't seen any volunteer judges yet. We always get at least one, though. On the bright side, we have four entries so far for this terrible PrC. I'm sure more are on the way.

mattie_p
2013-09-30, 11:41 AM
One note - this was asked in the RAW Q&A thread, apparently there is no RAW answer.

Q 475

How many Power Points does it take to fuel the Illithid Blast feat from Complete Psionic?

This is what we will use for the competition.

Benefit
Once per day as a standard action that requires the expenditure of your psionic focus, you can channel power points into a mind blast, which is a psi-like attack in a 15-foot cone. Anyone caught in the cone must succeed on a Will save (DC 11 + your Cha modifier) or be stunned for 1d4 rounds. This feat requires 1 power point to activate, and the save DC increases by 1 for every 2 additional pp utilized. You may only spend power points up to your manifester level on this feat. This is a psi-like ability equivalent to a 1st level psionic power. Questions on this? Essentially you can augment the feat with multiples of 2 power points, for all intents and purposes heightening the ability.

relytdan
2013-10-02, 08:02 AM
sounds good to me overall - saved from page 4 darkness

dysprosium
2013-10-03, 10:29 PM
Not sure if I'll be able to make a build for this one.

If I don't get to submit one I'll post what it would have been.

mattie_p
2013-10-04, 09:10 AM
Well, it has been a quiet round. Hopefully we'll get some more submissions. I know it is not nearly as exciting as a Ranger, but I was thinking the possibility of 9th level powers would be interesting enough to draw some entries.

Humble Master
2013-10-05, 09:05 AM
I don't think I'll be able to submit a build. Just so many things going on I haven't had time to really polish my build and make it something uniquely powerful.

mattie_p
2013-10-06, 07:13 PM
Ladies, Gentlemen, Aberrations, it is that time. Please refrain from posting until all 5 entries have been revealed.

(If I have omitted your gender, this does not lump you into an Aberration. My apologies if you think that - the English language doesn't yet officially recognize otherly-gendered humans.)

mattie_p
2013-10-06, 07:14 PM
An illithid which is truly ... divine.

A master of disguise by shape, you do not know if she is this or that.

Misti nygma

Human

32 point buy
Str 13 Dex 13 Con 13 Int 14 Wis 15 Cha 11
Level
lvl 4 +1 Dex
lvl 8 +1 Str
lvl 12 +1 Dex
lvl 16 +1 Con
lvl 20 +1 Dex

Abilities
Str 14 Dex 16 Con 14 Int 14 Wis 15 Cha 11

Sorcerer 1/Psion 3/Druid 5/Master of many forms 7/Psychic theurge 4

Lvl Class Bab Fort Ref Will Special
00 Lightning Reflexes
01 Sorcerer 0 0 0 2 Summon familiar
01 Endurance
02 Psion 0 0 0 4 Psicrystal Affinity, Discipline Telepath
03 Psion 1 0 0 5 -
03 Practiced Manifester
04 Psion 1 1 1 5 -
05 Druid 1 3 1 7 Animal companion, nature sense, wild empathy
06 Druid 2 4 1 8 Woodland stride
06 Illithid Heritage
07 Druid 3 4 2 8 Trackless step
08 Druid 4 5 2 9 Resist nature’s lure
09 Druid 4 5 2 9 Wild shape (1/day)
09 Illithid Skin
10 Master 4 7 4 9 Shifter’s speech, improved wild shape (humanoid)
11 Master 5 8 5 9 Improved wild shape (giant; Large)
12 Master 6 8 6 10 Fast wild shape, improved wild shape (monstrous humanoid)
12 Swift Wild Shape
13 Master 7 9 7 10 Improved wild shape (fey; Tiny)
14 Master 7 9 7 10 Improved wild shape (vermin)
15 Master 8 10 8 11 Improved wild shape (aberration; Huge)
15 ILLITHID LEGACY
16 Master 9 10 8 11 Extraordinary wild shape, improved wild shape (plant)
17 Theurge 9 10 8 13 +1 level of existing divine spellcasting class/+1 level of existing manifesting class
18 Theurge 10 10 8 14 +1 level of existing divine spellcasting class/+1 level of existing manifesting class
18 ILLITHID BLAST*
19 Theurge 10 11 9 15 +1 level of existing divine spellcasting class/+1 level of existing manifesting class
20 Theurge 11 11 9 16 +1 level of existing divine spellcasting class/+1 level of existing manifesting class

Druid (phb 33) 4+int
Animal Companion - Horse (heavy)

Sorcerer (phb 51) 2+int
Tiny viper -Master gains a +3 bonus on Bluff checks
* familiar 1st–2nd +1 natural armor, Int 6, Alertness, improved evasion, share spells, empathic link

Psion Telepath (XPH 19) 2+int
PsiCrystal

Master of Many Forms (Cadv 58) 4+int

Psychic Theurge ( http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040925b ) 2+int

Skills:
20 at 1st
15 at 2,3,4
35 at 5,6,7,8,9
49 at 10,11,12,13,14,15,16
20 at 17,18,19,20
139 total skill points

the following are all class skills
Bluff (Cha) 12 Ranks by level 20
Diplomacy (Cha) 12 Ranks by level 20
Gather Information (Cha) 12 Ranks by level 20
Sense Motive (Wis) 12 Ranks by level 20
Concentration (Con) 12 Ranks by level 20
Knowledge Arcana (Int) 11 Ranks by level 20
Knowledge Pionics (Int) 12 Ranks by level 20
Psicraft (Int) 12 Ranks by level 20
Handle Animal (Cha) 12 Ranks by level 20
Heal (Wis) 10 Ranks by level 20
Spellcraft (Int) 12 Ranks by level 20
Survival (Wis) 10 Ranks by level 20

Feats:
Alertness - gain from familiar (phb 90)

Endurance (phb 90)

Lightning Reflexes (phb 90)

Practiced Manifester (Cspi 50) +4 to manifester level

Swift Wild Shape (ccham 57)

Illithid Heritage (Cpsi 62)

Illithid Skin (Cpsi 62)

ILLITHID LEGACY (Cpsi 62)

ILLITHID BLAST (Cpsi 61) << Presumes that the +4 ML from practiced manifester will qualify for the manifester level 5th. requirement - if not then will resort to Shinanigance *See below*>>

Spells & Powers

0 level druid
Cure Minor Wounds: Cures 1 point of damage.
Detect Magic: Detects spells and magic items within 60 ft.
Detect Poison: Detects poison in one creature or object
Purify Food and Drink: Purifies 1 cu. ft./level of food or water.
Read Magic: Read scrolls and spellbooks

0 Level sorcerer
Acid Splash: Orb deals 1d3 acid damage
Ray of Frost: Ray deals 1d3 cold damage
Touch of Fatigue: Touch attack fatigues target
Mage Hand: 5-pound telekinesis

1st Level druid
Endure Elements: Exist comfortably in hot or cold environments
Longstrider: Your speed increases by 10 ft
Speak with Animals: You can communicate with animals.

1st Level sorcerer
Mage Armor: Gives subject +4 armor bonus.
Identify: Determines properties of magic item.

1st Level psion
Charm, Psionic: Makes one person your friend - granted power*
Energy Ray: Deal 1d6 energy (cold, electricity, fire, or sonic) damage
Force Screen: Invisible disc provides +4 shield bonus to AC.

2nd Level druid
Bull’s Strength: Subject gains +4 to Str for 1 min./level.
Cat’s Grace: Subject gains +4 to Dex for 1 min./level

2nd Level psion
Levitate, Psionic: You move up and down, forward and back via mental support
Biofeedback: Gain damage reduction 2/–-
Thought Shield: Gain PR 13 against mind-affecting powers
Read Thoughts: Detect surface thoughts of creatures in range - granted power*

3rd Level
Dominate Animal: Subject animal obeys silent mental commands

***Shinanigance***
This is Barrowed from PUN-PUN - and I make no pretense about it, the build is not intended to use or abuse the exploit.
However this is the only other way the build can get the effect of the Illithid Blast (60 ft. cone, stun 3d4 rounds).

Will Assume the form of a Sarruhk
Manipulate Form SU: - will grant viper familiar the Manipulate Form SU:
dismiss Sarruhk form, wildshape into a scaled native one to toril - have Viper grant Manipulate Form SU: to master
at this point the Manipulate Form SU: should be permenant on Character and Familiar
dismiss scaled native one to toril form

Wild shape into a Mind Flayer, Use Manipulate Form SU: - may also grant an extraordinary, supernatural or spell like ability
grant Mind Blast (Sp): to familiar and have familiar grant to character

Mind Blast (Sp): This psionic attack is a cone 60 feet long. Anyone caught in this cone must succeed on a DC 17 Will
save or be stunned for 3d4 rounds. Mind flayers often hunt using this power and then drag off one or two of their
stunned victims to feed upon. The save DC is Charisma-based. This ability is the equivalent of a 4th level spell.

mattie_p
2013-10-06, 07:16 PM
Halfway there, or is she?

Deah Venus

Stats
Stats
{table=head]Attribute|32 pnt buy Base|Racial|Level|Magic|Misc.|Total

STR|
16|
0|
2|
0|
0|

DEX|
16|
0|
2|
0|
0|

CON|
15|
0|
1|
0|
0|

INT|
9|
4|
0|
0|
0|

WIS|
10|
4|
0|
0|
0|

CHA|
9|
4|
0|
0|
0|

[/table]

Build
Build
{table=head]Level|Class|BAB|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Skill & Ranks|Feat|Class Specific Features

1st|
level adjustment 1|-|-|-|-|-|Run|-

2nd|
level adjustment 2|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

3rd|
level adjustment 3|-|-|-|-|-|ILLITHID HERITAGE|-

4th|
level adjustment 4|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

5th|
level adjustment 5|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

5th Buyback|
Psion Telepath|0|0|0|2|Knowledge (psionics) 4 ranks, Psicraft 4 ranks, Concentration 4 ranks, Craft Basketweaving 4 ranks|-|-

6th|
Psion Telepath|1|0|0|3|Knowledge (psionics) 5 ranks, Psicraft 5 ranks, Concentration 5 ranks, Craft Basketweaving 5 ranks|ILLITHID SKIN|-

7th|
Psion Telepath|1|0|0|3|Knowledge (psionics) 6 ranks, Psicraft 6 ranks, Concentration 6 ranks, Craft Basketweaving 6 ranks|-|-

8th|
Psion Telepath|2|1|1|4|Knowledge (psionics) 7 ranks, Psicraft 7 ranks, Concentration 7 ranks, Craft Basketweaving 7 ranks|-|-

9th|
Psion Telepath|2|1|1|4|Knowledge (psionics) 8 ranks, Psicraft 8 ranks, Concentration 8 ranks, Craft Basketweaving 8 ranks|ILLITHID LEGACY|-

10th|
Psion Telepath|3|1|1|5|Kn (p) 9, Psi 9, Concentration 9, Basket 9|-|-

11th|
Psion Telepath|3|2|2|5|Kn (p) 10, Psi 10, Concentration 10, Basket 10|-|-

12th|
Psion Telepath|4|2|2|6|Kn (p) 11, Psi 11, Concentration 11, Basket 11|Practiced Manifester|-

13th|
Psion Telepath|4|2|2|6|Kn (p) 12, Psi 12, Concentration 12, Basket 12|-|-

14th|
Psion Telepath|5|3|3|7|Kn (p) 13, Psi 13, Concentration 13, Basket 13|-|-

15th|
Psion Telepath|5|3|3|7|Kn (p) 14, Psi 14, Concentration 14, Basket 14|Metamorphic Transfer|-

16th|
Psion Telepath|6|3|3|8|Kn (p) 15, Psi 15, Concentration 15, Basket 15|-|-

17th|
Psion Telepath|6|4|4|8|Kn (p) 16, Psi 16, Concentration 16, Basket 16|-|-

18th|
Psion Telepath|7|4|4|9|Kn (p) 17, Psi 17, Concentration 17, Basket 17|Scribe Tattoo|-

19th|
Psion Telepath|7|4|4|9|Kn (p) 18, Psi 18, Concentration 18, Basket 18|-|-

20th|
Psion Telepath|8|5|5|10|Kn (p) 19, Psi 19, Concentration 19, Basket 19|-|-
[/table]

Psionic Powers Known

Psionic Powers Known
{table=head]Level|PP/Day|Known|max power level|Mantle|Mantle

1st|2|3|1|-|-

2nd|6|5|1|-|-

3rd|11|7|2|-|-

4th|17|9|2|-|-

5th|25|11|3|-|-

6th|35|13|3|-|-

7th|46|15|4|-|-

8th|58|17|4|-|-

9th|72|19|5|-|-

10th|88|21|5|-|-

11th|106|22|6|-|-

12th|126|24|6|-|-

13th|147|25|7|-|-

14th|170|27|7|-|-

15th|195|28|8|-|-

16th|221|30|8|-|-

[/table]

Spells & Powers Prepared/Memorized

Spells & Powers Prepared/Memorized
Psionics sp:
1- detect thoughts 3/day
3- suggestion 3/day
5- levitate 3/day
7+ charm monster 1/day

TELEPATH (TELEPATHY)
DISCIPLINE POWERS
1 Charm, Psionic: Makes one person your friend.
Mindlink: You forge a limited mental bond with another creature.

2 Aversion: Subject has aversion you specify.
Brain Lock: Subject cannot move or take any mental actions.
Read Thoughts: Detect surface thoughts of creatures in range.
Suggestion, Psionic: Compels subject to follow stated course of action.

3 Crisis of Breath: Disrupt subject’s breathing.
Empathic Transfer, HostileA: Your touch transfers your hurt to another.
False Sensory Input: Subject sees what isn’t there.

4 Dominate, Psionic: Control target telepathically.
Mindlink, Thieving: Borrow knowledge of a subject’s power.
Modify Memory, Psionic: Changes 5 minutes of subject’s memories.
Schism: Your partitioned mind can manifest lower level powers.

5 Metaconcert: Mental concert of two or more increases the total power of the participants.
Mind Probe: You discover the subject’s secret thoughts.

6 Mind Switch: You switch minds with another.

7 Crisis of Life: Stop subject’s heart.

8 Mind Seed: Subject slowly becomes you.

Character, Level & SI Background

Character Background
Deah Venus a sinister woman, useing her powers & baskets to get her way.
Human Half-Illithid
Common, Undercommon
alignment: NE

Level Breakdown
Its a Psion telepath- it does well to cover the basis of the SI
Use of buyback - +5 (15)
character must pay an amount of XP equal to (current ecl 15 – 1) 14 × 1,000 =14,000 (190,000+14,000=204,000)
total 1 ecl buy back - listed ECL 5 as both La and 1st class level to reflect the level buy back.

Use of the Secret Ingredient
Not to many ways of getting all the abilities and such into a build for this SI, this build should have them
Ability to manifest psionic charm. - Check
Knowledge (psionics) 8 ranks. -check
Illithid Heritage -check
Undercommon -check
Illithid Blast (Su):< Mind Blast sp:> -check
Illithid Feat: - check

Sources

XPH 19, 42-43, 73
Cpsi 50, 62
(fr_Und p90)
(ff 90)
phb 90

mattie_p
2013-10-06, 07:17 PM
There's an Illithid-rama going on here.

I.C. Tentacle
White Wyrmling of War 3/LA +2/Ranger 1/Ardent 4/Slayer 10

Welcome, to the world of TOMORROW!
“Good News Everyone!”
Loredrake Farnsworth addressed the Council of Wyrms with his trademarked catchphrase. Ancient beyond belief even for a Great Wyrm, he gazed out at the dragons gathered around him with the great homogeneous metallic pools that were his eyes. From a pocket in his white Cloak of Charisma he drew out small tube, which he set down before him.

“Within this cylindrical container is a White Wyrmling, psionically preserved in that wonderful time-stop glop of quintessence for untold aeons. This, friends, could be the key to vanquishing the Mind Flayers once and for all!”

“Hah! You senile old lizard,” came a laughing voice from the audience. “How is a White Wyrmling supposed to help us?”

“Wyrmstrum…” Farnsworth growled darkly, turning toward the Red Dragon who had voiced the objection. “And we’ll use him to solve our problems with the Illithids in the same way that all problems are solved by rational creatures of great, profound knowledge, such as ourselves. By killing them!”

“And how is he supposed to help with that? If he’s as dumb as other White Dragons…”

“Oh my, yes…”

“Then his puny pea brain will be nothing more than a snack.”

“Ah, but this is not the everyday, garden variety idiocy of a human in a shopping mall. This wyrmling is possessed of a superior, yet inferior mind, which I will mold like magical play-doh into the weapon we need. His brain will not be a light snack to stave off hunger between lunch and dinner, but a source of brainfreeze as if from a million extra-large snowcones of suspicious yellowness!” Farnsworth cried triumphantly. Then, without giving his associates time to reply to this, he said “now that that’s settled, let’s begin the careful, delicate process of waking him up.” The great Loredrake opened the container, picked the Wyrmling out with a magically enlarged plastic grabber claw, shook and scraped the remaining quintessence back into the cylinder, then lifted the claw up to his enormous face and let out a savage guttural roar.

Bite my shiny, scaled tail!
StatsPoint Buy: 14 Str, 9 Dex, 16 Con, 10 Int, 17 Wis, 8 Cha
After Adjustments for Wyrmling White Dragon: 14 Str, 9 Dex, 18 Con, 6 Int, 17 Wis, 4 Cha
All stat increases from level ups go to Wis.

{table=head]ECL|Class|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Skills|Feats|Class Features

1st|Level Adjustment|
-|
-|
-|
-|-|-|-

2nd| Level Adjustment|
-|
-|
-|
-|-|-|-

3rd|White Dragon 1|
+1|
+2|
+2|
+2|Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 4, Concentration 4, Spot 4, Speak Language (Common), Speak Language (Undercommon)|Flyby Attack|White Dragon racial traits, Icewalking, Wyrm of War Sovereign Archetype

4th|White Dragon 2|
+2|
+3|
+3|
+3| Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 4, Concentration 5, Spot 5, Listen 2, Speak Language (Common), Speak Language (Undercommon)|-|-

5th|White Dragon 3|
+3|
+3|
+3|
+3| Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 4, Concentration 6, Spot 6, Listen 4, Speak Language (Common), Speak Language (Undercommon) |Flyby Breath|New Class Abilities

6th|Ranger 1|
+4|
+5|
+5|
+3| Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 4, Concentration 7, Spot 7, Listen 6, Speak Language (Common), Speak Language (Undercommon) |Track (Ranger), Strafing Breath (Wyrm of War)|Favored Enemy (Arcanists), Wild Empathy

7th|Ardent 1|
+4|
+5|
+5|
+5| Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 4, Concentration 8, Spot 7, Listen 6, Speak Language (Common), Speak Language (Undercommon)|- |Primary Mantles (Physical Power, Mental Power), Substitute Mantle ACF

8th|Ardent 2|
+5|
+5|
+5|
+6| Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 4, Concentration 9, Spot 7, Listen 6, Speak Language (Common), Speak Language (Undercommon)| Practiced Manifester |Secondary Mantle (Time)

9th|Slayer 1|
+6|
+5|
+5|
+8| Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 4, Concentration 10, Spot 7, Listen 7, Speak Language (Common), Speak Language (Undercommon)|- |Favored Enemy (Illithids) +2, Enemy Sense

10th|Slayer 2|
+7|
+5|
+5|
+9| Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 4, Concentration 11, Spot 8, Listen 7, Speak Language (Common), Speak Language (Undercommon)| Multiattack (Wyrm of War)|Brain Nausea

11th|Slayer 3|
+8|
+6|
+6|
+9| Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 4, Concentration 12, Spot 8, Listen 8, Speak Language (Common), Speak Language (Undercommon)|Illithid Heritage|Lucid Buffer

12th|Slayer 4|
+9|
+6|
+6|
+10| Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 4, Concentration 13, Spot 9, Listen 9, Speak Language (Common), Speak Language (Undercommon)|-|Favored Enemy +4

13th|Slayer 5|
+10|
+6|
+6|
+10| Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 4, Concentration 14, Spot 10, Listen 9, Speak Language (Common), Speak Language (Undercommon)|- |-

14th|Slayer 6|
+11|
+7|
+7|
+11| Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 4, Concentration 15, Spot 10, Listen 10, Speak Language (Common), Speak Language (Undercommon)| Illithid Skin, Rapidstrike (Claws) (Wyrm of War)|Cerebral Blind

15th|Slayer 7|
+12|
+7|
+7|
+11| Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 4, Concentration 16, Spot 11, Listen 10, Speak Language (Common), Speak Language (Undercommon)|-|Favored Enemy +6

16th|Slayer 8|
+13|
+7|
+7|
+12| Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 4, Concentration 17, Spot 11, Listen 11, Speak Language (Common), Speak Language (Undercommon)|-|Breach Power Resistance

17th|Slayer 9|
+14|
+8|
+8|
+12| Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 4, Concentration 18, Spot 12, Listen 11, Speak Language (Common), Speak Language (Undercommon)| Illithid Grapple (1) , Convert Illithid Skin to Illithid Grapple (2) by Psychic Reformation (400exp)|Cerebral Immunity

18th|Slayer 10|
+15|
+8|
+8|
+13| Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 4, Concentration 20, Spot 13, Listen 13, Speak Language (Common), Speak Language (Undercommon)|Improved Rapidstrike (Claws) (Wyrm of War), Convert Rapidstrike (Claws) to Rapidstrike (Tentacles) by Psychic Reformation (500exp)|Favored Enemy +8

19th|Ardent 3|
+16|
+10|
+10|
+13| Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 4, Concentration 21, Spot 13, Listen 13, Speak Language (Common), Speak Language (Undercommon)|-|

20th|Ardent 4|
+17|
+10|
+10|
+14| Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 4, Concentration 22, Spot 13, Listen 13, Speak Language (Common), Speak Language (Undercommon)| Improved Rapidstrike (Wings)|-[/table]*The build incurs multiclass exp penalties at 19th and 20th level, but there’s still 8199exp left in the buffer which will be more than enough to cover those costs.
Ardent Powers
{table=head]ECL|PP|New Powers Known
7|2|Expansion (Physical Power), Psionic Charm (Mental Power)
8|6|Psionic Lion’s Charge (Physical Power)
10|11|Quintessence (Time)
11|17|Psionic Reformation (Mental Power)
12|25|Catapsi (Mental Power)
13|35|Anticipatory Strike (Time)
14|46|Form of Doom (Physical Power)
15|58|Temporal Acceleration (Time)
16|72|Fission (Physical Power)
17|88|Reddopsi (Mental Power)
18|106|True Metabolism (Physical Power)
19|126|Time Hop, Mass (Time)
20|147|Microcosm (Mental Power)[/table]
*Number of PP does not take into account bonus PP for a high Wis score.
Uses of WBL
Crown of the Northwind is always handy for anyone with a Breath Weapon, but it’s especially important here in the emulation of Illithid Blast.
You have too many natural weapons to afford a Necklace of Natural Attacks, and you already have to pay for stacking multiple things into the same neck slot with Wis and Con being your primary stats, so buy an Amulet of Mighty fists instead and get more mediocre boosts spread around all your natural attacks for considerably less money.

The usual Psionic Amunition for cheap access to more PP are always nice to have.

If your DM lets you get away with gaining more powers/spells through Psychic Chirurgery/StP Erudite/Wyrm Wizard shenanigans, there are a number that would help out a lot. Painful Strike, Hustle, Aerial Alacrity, Bestow/Remove Curse if age cursing is on the table, Body Outside Body, Giant Size, the list goes on.

We’re Back BabyThe roar lasted so long that it was as if it were meant to set up a cutaway to allow a few minutes of advertisements for magical items and alcoholic beverages. Yet it worked. When the Loredrake had finished, the little White Dragon’s eyes opened and he gazed at the snout from which the sound of his awakening had come.

“Augh!” cried the wyrmling in surprise.

“Good afternoon. Our magic has detected that you may be the key in eradicating the Illithid menace once and for all. How would you like to save the world, possibly even the multiverse?”

“I… um… what? How come I’m the key?”

“My divinations indicate that at the freewheeling and irresponsible but delightfully prime numbered age of 113 you will go on an epic time travelling adventure during which you will become your own grandfather, resulting in a genetic defect removing the delta brainwave that Illithids find so delectable and passing your Illithid Heritage on to yourself.”

“But wait, if I get my Illithid Heritage from me, then where do I get it from? And what’s an Illithid again?”

“Don’t ask stupid questions,” snapped Farnsworth, conjuring up a translucent hand to slap the White Dragon’s face.

“Ow! Hey!” the wyrmling shrieked in protest. “Why can’t all you older dragons just deal with this yourselves?”

“I suppose it is technically possible,” Farnsworth said, looking down at his cloak. “But I am already in my pajamas.”

So it’s all Come Down to This: a Dungeon, and Dragons!
ECL 5You’re a Wyrmling White Dragon. At this point you’re mostly just using Flyby Attack and Flyby Breath to blast away at enemies. Because this build is going to need a lot of combat feats tied to draconic abilities, we adopt the Wyrm of War Sovereign Archetype.
ECL 10A Ranger dip going into an Ardent based Slayer PsiGish. Practiced Manifester gets our manifesting on track thanks to the way that Ardent works, and the Substitute Power ACF allows us to build our own Mantles as long as we stick to the existing themes. With a ML of 7, you can grow two size categories with Expansion, reaching medium size for wing attacks, and you can bring your entire Bite/Claw/Claw/Wing/Wing routine to bear from 300ft away in the sky thanks to Psionic Lion’s Charge. Breath Weapon tricks are also still here, with Strafing Breath now online.

Better yet, thanks to Psionics, we have a way to deal with the problem of the dragon aging rules in Draconomicon. We don’t want to be saddled with more dragon HD, so we need to age less than two years. A week of adventuring full time will get you more than enough exp to level, so the big time sink is in downtime, especially time spent on having magic items crafted. To that end, we’ve picked up the ability to make Quintessence. Making enough to fill a tube capable of housing even your tiny sized body takes some doing, but it’ll mean you get to spend all of your thumb twiddling time in the freezer tube with your youth preserved.
ECL 15You add another claw attack to your full attack routine, bringing it up to 6 attacks or 10 if you manifest form of doom. Favored Enemy +6 means that you can really bring the pain against Illithids this way, and you can augment Psionic Lion’s Charge for further bonuses. Catapsi allows you to pose the question of what would happen if you turned the enemy’s psionics off, the answer being – spoiler alert – that they cease to be a world conquering psychic abomination and become a funny looking squid man, while you are still a dragon. Finally, Anticipatory Strike and Temporal Acceleration shatter the action economy for us.

In addition, we should by now be able to afford a Crown of the North Wind, which allows us to use the Silver Dragon’s Cone of paralyzing gas in place of our regular cold breath weapon. It also raises the save DC to that of a young dragon, which, with a strong Con helps keep the dragon’s breath relevant. There are worse ways to start combat than a Strafing Breath run hitting every enemy with a Fort Save or Lose effect.
ECL 20Improved Rapidstrike only requires that you have Rapidstrike, so we arrange things so as to have the superior version for two of our natural attack pairs and the standard for the other. This adds up to 16 attacks per round, or 20 with Form of Doom. And to go along with our melee prowess, we’ve made it all the way to 9th level powers, with a few particular highlights being Fission for double the fun and Microcosm for situations where the target just can’t be beaten down for whatever reason. Slayer gives us the ability to rip away Power Resistance with each of our many, many hits, so Microcosm goes from “no save, just lose” to “no save, no Power Resistance. He’s trapped in a book I wrote. A crummy world of plotholes and spelling errors.”

You People and Your Slight Differences Disgust Me!So, how is this a Flayerspawn Psychic?

Psionic Charm: Picked up as a first level Ardent Power. With a Cha score of 4, it’s pretty much a necessity if you want to contribute at all in any social adventures.
Knowledge (Psionics): Ha, no. I mean, you could gain the ranks temporarily via an age curse or by Psionic Reformation if you had exp to burn, but those are both quite clearly ridiculous.
Undercommon: With the Int of 6 it was a steep price getting this and common, but the character is capable of communicating.
Illithid Feats: Illithid Heritage and two Illithid Grapples setting up for Rapidstrike, meaning you get the same number of tentacle attacks as a the PrC could grab you, more if you count attacks gained by manifesting Age Cursing to acquire Improved Rapidstrike (Tentacles). What’s more, you actually have the BAB to make use of them.
Illithid Blast: With Crown of the North Wind the White Dragon’s Cone of Cold can become a Cone of paralyzing gas, that is, a cone shaped stunning effect. Better yet, it can be used on the move and/or against a larger area still thanks to Flyby Breath and Strafing Breath.
Manifesting: The build scrapes 9th level powers by the skin of its teeth.

Tales of Interest The exp buffer here won’t do it for us, but if you’re able to buy off the White Dragon LA, there are a number of things you can do with two extra class levels. First off, getting to the 20th HD gets you Improved Rapidstrike (Tentacles). As for what to do with the actual level, consider getting Iron Will from the good old Otyugh Hole and going Sanctified Mind 3 in place of the last two Ardent levels. Depending on your tastes, you could also possibly take a level of Monk for a bunch of pelvic thrusts added to your attack routine and Wis to AC or the Fangshields substitution level at Ranger 2 which would allow you to snag Improved Multiattack.

These feats could also be grabbed through an age curse and/or by Chaos Shuffling the Track feat away once it’s no longer needed to qualify for Slayer.

If you don’t feel you really need the Paralyzing Breath, which requires Cold Breath, or you can get a Cold Breath Weapon through a graft, Mercury Wyrmling is also 3HD/2LA and generally better than the White Wyrmling.

Into the Wild Green Yonder
Complete Psionic: Illithid Feats, Ardent
Draconomicon: Rapidstrike, Improved Rapidstrike
Dragonlance Campaign Setting: Flyby Breath, Strafing Breath
Dragons of Eberron: Wyrm of War Sovereign Archetype
Dragons of Faerun: Crown of the North Wind
This Web Enhancement ( http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070629a): Substitute Power ACF
Everything else should be in the SRD.

mattie_p
2013-10-06, 07:18 PM
I'd thooner have thubmitted a thortheror.

Naanulu’tathoon
http://www.reettaraitanen.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/illithid1.jpg

1st|Illithid Racial Class 1 |
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Concentration 4, Intimidate 4, Knowledge (arcana) 4, Knowledge (dungeoneering) 4, Knowledge (psionics) 4, Knowledge (the planes) 4|Psicrystal Affinity|2 tentacles (1d4), +1 natural armour, ETL 1*

2nd| Illithid Racial Class 2|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|
---|
-|+2 Strength, telepathy 10ft

3rd| Illithid Racial Class 3|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3| Concentration 5, Intimidate 5, Knowledge (arcana) 5, Knowledge (dungeoneering) 5, Knowledge (psionics) 5, Knowledge (the planes) 5|
-|+2 Wisdom, ETL 2

4th| Illithid Racial Class 4|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3|
---|
-|+2 Constitution, mind blast 1/day (1 creature, 1d4 rounds)

5th| Illithid Racial Class 5|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+3|Concentration 6, Intimidate 6, Knowledge (arcana) 5, Knowledge (dungeoneering) 6, Knowledge (psionics) 6, Knowledge (the planes) 6, Psicraft 1|Knowledge Devotion|+2 Intelligence, 3 tentacles (1d4), telepathy 60ft, ETL 3

6th| Illithid Racial Class 6|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+3|
---|
-|+2 Dexterity, spell resistance (10+class levels), +2 natural armour

7th| Illithid Racial Class 7|
+3|
+1|
+1|
+4| Concentration 7, Intimidate 7, Knowledge (arcana) 6, Knowledge (dungeoneering) 7, Knowledge (psionics) 7, Knowledge (the planes) 6, Psicraft 2|
-|+2 Charisma, ETL 4, Constitution +1

8th| Illithid Racial Class 8|
+3|
+1|
+1|
+4|
---|
-|Improved grab, mind blast 3/day (10ft cone, 1d4 rounds)

9th| Illithid Racial Class 9|
+3|
+1|
+1|
+4| Concentration 8, Intimidate 8, Knowledge (arcana) 7, Knowledge (dungeoneering) 8, Knowledge (psionics) 8, Knowledge (the planes) 7, Psicraft 3|
-|+2 Intelligence, 4 tentacles (1d4), telepathy 100ft, ETL 6

10th| Illithid Racial Class 10|
+3|
+1|
+1|
+4|
---|
-|+2 Wisdom, +3 natural armour

11th| Illithid Racial Class 11|
+4|
+2|
+2|
+5| Concentration 9, Intimidate 9, Knowledge (arcana) 8, Knowledge (dungeoneering) 9, Knowledge (psionics) 9, Knowledge (the planes) 8, Psicraft 4|Imperious Command|+2 Charisma, mind blast 3/day (30ft cone, 1d4 rounds), ETL 7

12th| Illithid Racial Class 12|
+4|
+2|
+2|
+5|
---|
-|Extract, mind blast 3/day (30ft cone, 2d4 rounds)

13th| Illithid Racial Class 13|
+5|
+2|
+2|
+5| Concentration 10, Intimidate 10, Knowledge (arcana) 9, Knowledge (dungeoneering) 10, Knowledge (psionics) 10, Knowledge (the planes) 10, Psicraft 5|
-|+2 Intelligence, +2 Dexterity, ETL 8

14th| Illithid Racial Class 14|
+5|
+2|
+2|
+5|
---|
-|+2 Wisdom, mind blast at will (60ft cone, 3d4 rounds)

15th| Illithid Racial Class 15|
+6/+1|
+2|
+2|
+6| Concentration 11, Intimidate 11, Knowledge (arcana) 11, Knowledge (dungeoneering) 11, Knowledge (psionics) 11, Knowledge (the planes) 11, Psicraft 6||+2 Charisma, ETL 9

16th|Telepath 1 |
+6/+1|
+2|
+2|
+8|Concentration 12, Knowledge (psionics) 12, Psicraft 12|Ability Focus (mind blast), Expanded Knowledge (metamorphosis)B|

17th|Telepath 2 |
+7/+2|
+2|
+2|
+9|Concentration 13, Knowledge (arcana) 13, Knowledge (dungeoneering) 13, Knowledge (psionics) 13, Knowledge (the planes) 13, Psicraft 13||

18th|Telepath 3 |
+7/+2|
+3|
+3|
+9|Concentration 14, Intimidate 13, Knowledge (arcana) 14, Knowledge (dungeoneering) 14, Knowledge (psionics) 14, Knowledge (the planes) 14, Psicraft 14, Never OutnumberSK||

19th|Telepath 4 |
+8/+3|
+3|
+3|
+10|Concentration 15, Intimidate 15, Knowledge (dungeoneering) 15, Knowledge (psionics) 15, Knowledge (the planes) 15, Psicraft 15, Collector of StoriesSK|Assume Supernatural Ability**|Intelligence +1

20th|Telepath 5 |
+8/+3|
+3|
+3|
+10|Concentration 16, Intimidate 16, Knowledge (arcana) 16, Knowledge (dungeoneering) 16, Knowledge (psionics) 16, Knowledge (the planes) 16, Psicraft 16||Harbinger[/table]*ETL stands for Effective Telepath Level; I’m guesstimating the levels using the XPH Psionic Mind Flayer, which manifests powers as a 9th level Psion (telepath).
**You can change the focus for Assume Supernatural Ability with psychic reformation, if needed.
SK stands for Skill trick (CSc)

General

Point Buy (32) – Strength 08, Dexterity 14, Constitution 15, Intelligence 18, Wisdom 10, Charisma 10
Final Scores (20th Level) Strength 10, Dexterity 18, Constitution 18, Intelligence 26, Wisdom 16, Charisma 16

Psionics

{table=head]Level|PP|Powers Known|
Max. Power Level

1st|
4|
3|

2nd|
4|
3|

3rd|
10|
5|

4th|
10|
5|

5th|
18|
7|

6th|
18|
7|

7th|
27|
9|

8th|
27|
13|

9th|
53|
13|

10th|
53|
15|

11th|
67|
15|

12th|
67|
17|

13th|
86|
17|

14th|
86|
19|

15th|
103|
19|

16th|
123|
21|

17th|
144|
22|

18th|
168|
24|

19th|
197|
25|

20th|
226|
27|
7 [/table]
Powers Known (up to ETL 7, where you take psychic reformation and you can switch it up at will)
1- Psionic charm, inertial armour, vigor, precognition (defensive), mindlink
2- Damp power, read thoughts, ego whip, psychoportive shelter, share pain
3- Time hop, touchsight, dispel psionics

Playing as Naanulu’tathoon

It plays quite easily – you’re effectively a nerfed telepath with a few neat abilities for the first half of your career. Embrace the vigor/share pain/psicrystal trick for all it’s worth, because you desperately need the help surviving. Mind blast is a huge help when combined with Imperious Command – terrorize the casters and stun the meat shields. You should really purchase some leather armor with the Fearsome armor enhancement to let you do both in a single round.

Once you pick up psychic reformation, there’s pretty much no challenge that you can’t respond to, given even a little bit of notice

How does this replicate the Secret Ingredient?

Requirements: fills them all, except for Illithid Heritage… but on the other hand, it is an Illithid.
Manifesting: Psionic Mind Flayers (as presented in the XPH) manifest as 9th level Telepaths. It extends this by taking levels in the Telepath class, giving it a manifesting level of 14 at ECL 20.
Illithid Blast: the real deal, not limited to a certain amount of times per day.
Illithid Heritage Feats: the racial features of the Illithid monster class cover 90% of the feats.

Adaptations
If your DM is really cheesy, you may be able to buy off the LA as it slowly accrues. If so, just continue adding additional Telepath levels giving you a final Telepath level of 21 (hilariously enough).

mattie_p
2013-10-06, 07:20 PM
No, I'm not descended from a certain bard of legend. Why do you ask?

Pchalis Peyns Facwrys
Elan Psion Telepath 14 / MetaMind 6

Background
Background
She is a young average looking woman, black hair, green eyes - wait a sec what was I just thinking about... so many people about in the city today.

Elan
–2 Charisma
medium
Aberration
30ft
natural armor +1
Repletion (Su):
Resilience (Su):
Resistance (Su):
Naturally Psionic: Elans gain 2 bonus power points at 1st level
Language: Common, Bonus Languages: Draconic, Sylvan, Undercommon

Nickname "Philis"
Female
Alignment: NE

Build
Build
{table=head]Level|Class|BAB|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Class Specific Features

1st|Psion, Telepath|
0|
0|
0|
2|Psionic Weapon, discipline, 1st

2nd|Psion, Telepath|
1|
0|
0|
3|1st

3rd|Psion, Telepath|
1|
1|
1|
3|2nd

4th|Psion, Telepath|
2|
1|
1|
4|2nd

5th|Psion, Telepath|
2|
1|
1|
4|Psicrystal Affinity, 3rd

6th|Psion, Telepath|
3|
1|
1|
5|3rd

7th|Psion, Telepath|
3|
2|
2|
5|4th

8th|Psion, Telepath|
4|
2|
2|
6|4th

9th|Psion, Telepath|
4|
2|
2|
6|5th

10th|Psion, Telepath|
5|
3|
3|
7|Improved Psicrystal, 5th

11th|Psion, Telepath|
5|
3|
3|
7|6th

12th|Psion, Telepath|
6|
3|
3|
8|6th

13th|Psion, Telepath|
6|
4|
4|
8|7th

14th|Psion, Telepath|
7|
4|
4|
9|7th

15th|Metamind|
7|
4|
4|
11|Free manifesting 1st, 3/day

16th|Metamind|
8|
4|
4|
12|Cognizance psicrystal 5 points +1 level of existing manifesting class

17th|Metamind|
8|
5|
5|
12|Free manifesting 2nd, 3/day

18th|Metamind|
9|
5|
5|
13|Cognizance psicrystal 7 points +1 level of existing manifesting class

19th|Metamind|
9|
5|
5|
13|Free manifesting 3rd, 1/day

20th|Metamind|
10|
6|
6|
14|Cognizance psicrystal 9 points +1 level of existing manifesting class
[/table]

Feats and Skills
Feats

Psicrystal Affinity

Improved Psicrystal

Psionic Weapon

01 Illithid Heritage
Prerequisite: Power point reserve of 1 or more <<**the 2 racial power points are enough to qualify for this at 1st level , Psion also has 2 PP at 1st**>>

03 Practiced Manifester

06 Greater Psionic Weapon

09 Deep Impact

12 Illithid Skin

15 ILLITHID LEGACY
* Add psionic charm and read thoughts to your list of powers known *

18 ILLITHID BLAST

Skills

01 Knowledge (psionics) (Int) 4 ranks
01 Psicraft (Int) 4 Ranks
01 Sense Motive (Wis) 2 ranks
01 Intimidate (Cha) 2 ranks
01 Bluff (Cha) 2 ranks
01 Concentration (Con) 2 ranks
01 Diplomacy (Cha) 2 ranks
01 Gather Information (Cha) 2 ranks
02 Knowledge (psionics) (Int) 5 ranks
02 Disguise 2 ranks
03 Knowledge (psionics) (Int) 6 ranks
03 Hide 2 ranks
04 Knowledge (psionics) (Int) 7 ranks
04 Listen 2 ranks
05 Knowledge (psionics) (Int) 8 ranks
05 Move Silently 2 ranks
06 Spot 2.5 ranks
07 Use Psionic Device 2.5 ranks
08 Use Psionic Device 5 ranks
09 Spot 5 ranks
10 Move Silently 4 ranks
10 Knowledge (psionics) (Int) 9 ranks
11 Hide 4 ranks
11 Knowledge (psionics) (Int) 10 ranks
12 Disguise 4 ranks
12 Knowledge (psionics) (Int) 11 ranks
13 Psicraft (Int) 5 Ranks
13 Sense Motive (Wis) 5 ranks
13 Bluff (Cha) 3 ranks
14 Bluff (Cha) 5 ranks
14 Concentration (Con) 5 ranks
15 Diplomacy (Cha) 5 ranks
15 Gather Information (Cha) 4 ranks
16 Gather Information (Cha) 5 ranks
16 Move Silently 5 ranks
16 Hide 5 ranks
17 Disguise 5 ranks
17 Listen 3.5 ranks
18 Listen 5 ranks
18 Intimidate (Cha) 4 ranks
19 Intimidate (Cha) 5 ranks
19 Knowledge (psionics) (Int) 15 ranks
20 Knowledge (psionics) (Int) 20 ranks

Stats
Stats
{table=head]Attribute|32 pnt buy Base|Racial|Level|Magic|Misc.|Total

STR|
14|
0|
0|
2|
0|

DEX|
14|
0|
2|
0|
0|

CON|
14|
0|
2|
0|
0|

INT|
16|
0|
1|
0|
0|

WIS|
10|
0|
0|
0|
0|

CHA|
10|
-2|
0|
2|
0|

[/table]

Equipment

Equipment
Gauntlets of ogre power +2 enhancement bonus to Str 4,000
Cloak of Charisma +2 +2 enhancement bonus to Cha 4,000
Dagger 2 gp 1d4 19–20/×2 10 ft. 1 lb. Piercing or slashing

Psionic Powers Known

Psionic Powers Known

1 Charm, Psionic: Makes one person your friend -( taken as actual 1st lvl power) also granted power*
1 Mindlink: You forge a limited mental bond with another creature
1 Mind Thrust: Deal 1d10 damage

2 Elfsight: Gain low-light vision, +2 bonus on Search and Spot checks, and notice secret doors
2 Knock, Psionic: Opens locked or psionically sealed door
2 Thought Shield: Gain PR 13 against mind-affecting powers
2 Read Thoughts: Detect surface thoughts of creatures in range - granted power*

3 Body Adjustment: You heal 1d12 damage
3 Body Purification: You restore 2 points of ability damage
3 Darkvision, Psionic: See 60 ft. in total darkness
3 Ubiquitous Vision: You have all-around vision

4 Dominate, Psionic: Control target telepathically
4 Energy Adaptation: Your body converts energy to harmless light
4 Mindwipe: Subject’s recent experiences wiped away, bestowing negative levels
4 Trace Teleport: Learn destination of subject’s teleport

5 Mind Probe: You discover the subject’s secret thoughts
5 Adapt Body: Your body automatically adapts to hostile environments
5 Power Resistance: Grant PR equal to 12 + level
5 True Seeing, Psionic: See all things as they really are

6 Mind Switch: You switch minds with another
6 Disintegrate, PsionicA: Turn one creature or object to dust

7 Divert Teleport: Choose destination for another’s teleport
7 Energy Wave: Deal 13d4 damage of your chosen energy type in 120-ft. cone

8 Mind Seed: Subject slowly becomes you
8 Teleport, Psionic Greater: As psionic teleport, but no range limit and no off-target arrival

9 Psychic Chirurgery: You repair psychic damage or impart knowledge of new powers
9 Reality Revision: As bend reality, but fewer limits
• Duplicate
EGOIST (PSYCHOMETABOLISM) 6 Restoration, Psionic: Restores level and ability score drains.
PSYCHIC WARRIOR 2 Dissolving Weapon: Your weapon deals 4d6 acid damage

<30 Bonus PP @ lvl 20>
{table=head]level|pp|pk|ml
1|2|3|1st
2|6|5|2nd
3|11|7|2nd
4|17|9|2nd
5|25|11|3rd
6|35|13|3rd
7|46|15|4th
8|58|17|4th
9|72|19|5th
10|88|21|5th
11|106|22|6th
12|126|24|6th
13|147|25|7th
14|170|27|7th
15|195|28|8th
16|221|30|8th
17|250|31|9th
[/table]

Level Breakdown

Level Breakdown
A fairly straight forward of Psion Telepath with Metamind
it also flows well with the overall build, with useage of the psycrystal.

PSICRYSTAL
Diminutive Construct
Hit Dice: As master’s HD (hp 1/2 master’s)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares), climb 20 ft.*
Armor Class: 16 (+4 size, +2 Dex*), touch 16, flatfooted 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/–17
Attack: —
Full Attack: —
Space/Reach: 1 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: —
Special Qualities: Construct traits, hardness 8, psicrystal granted abilities <below>
Saves: As master’s saves
Abilities: Str 1*, Dex 15*, Con —, Int 6, Wis 10, Cha 10
Skills: Climb +14*, Listen +6,
Move Silently +6, Search +2, Spot +6
Feats: Alertness
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: Included with master
Treasure: None
Alignment: As master
Advancement: —
Level Adjustment: —
*With self-propulsion ability activated
It has a +8 racial bonus on Climb checks and can always choose to take 10, even if rushed or threatened.
Construct Traits: A psicrystal has immunity to poison, sleep, paralysis, stunning, disease, death effects, necromancy
effects, mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects), and any effect that
requires a Fortitude save unless it also works on objects or is harmless.

Hero, +2 bonus on Fortitude saves
Sage +3 bonus on Knowledge (Psionics)

1st–2nd +0 +0 Alertness, improved evasion, personality, self-propulsion, share powers, sighted, telepathic link
3rd–4th +1 +1 Deliver touch powers
5th–6th +2 +2 Telepathic speech
7th–8th +3 +3 —
9th–10th +4 +4 Flight
11th–12th +5 +5 Power resistance
13th–14th +6 +6 Sight link
15th–16th +7 +7 Channel power
17th–18th +8 +8
19th–20th +9 +9

Cognizance Crystal, 9 Power Point Storage

Use of the Secret Ingredient

To be a <Flayerspawn Psychic> without levels of it...

Aberration << Check >> - the Flayerspawn Psychic lends itself twords the Illithid Race/Template which are Aberration, this should work under RAI

Languages: Undercommon << CHECK >>

Feat: Illithid Heritage << CHECK >>

Powers: Psionic Charm << CHECK >>

Knowledge (Psionics) 8 ranks << CHECK >>

Illithid Blast << CHECK >>

Illithid Feats << CHECK >>

Illithid Blast (60 ft. cone) - Energy Wave: Deal 13d4 damage of your chosen energy type in 120-ft. cone << Check >> - this should work uner RAI while not directly
an 60ft cone Illithid Blast it is an Energy Cone that gets double the range.

+1 level of existing manifesting class << CHECK >>

Flayerspawn Psychic HIT DIE: D6 (2 + Int modifer per level) - (Psion D4, 2 + Int modifer per level, Metamind D4, 2 + Int modifer per level) << Check >>

Bluff, Concentration, Disguise. Hide. Intimidate. Knowledge (all skills, taken individually), Listen, Move Silently, Psicraft, Sense Motive, Spot, Use Psionic Device (All taken as Class or Cross class Skills) << Check >>

Spoiler

Pchalis Peyns Facwrys = Flayerspawn Psychic

Note - while I personally would probly never bring the SI to the game table, the above build might see a game table

Sources

Phb 116
Dmg 253, 257
CPsi 30, 61-62
XPH 19, 42-43, 70, 73, 147, 167, 207

mattie_p
2013-10-06, 07:21 PM
That's a wrap. 5 Entries is a pretty good sum for such a terrible class. Feel free to discuss. Also, we're still looking for judges, so feel free to volunteer if you like.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-10-06, 07:23 PM
Got a nice variety here, and look - a Real Illithid.

Looking nice, mattie_p.

dysprosium
2013-10-06, 07:59 PM
The build I was going to go with was quite similar to one of the contestants.

So that's a good thing I didn't enter since I would have hurt both of us . . .

Humble Master
2013-10-07, 08:14 AM
Well, all of those are better than what I came up with. Basically, he was going to just be a straight 20th level Psion(Egoist) who optimized Psychic Blast and took the Illithid Extraction feat. Only thing I really liked about the build was a name I came up with: Murkdar Vosk, the Mind Cannon.

Segev
2013-10-07, 09:00 AM
Is it now kosher to discuss concepts we'd had, despite not having time to really make real entries?

mattie_p
2013-10-07, 09:38 AM
Is it now kosher to discuss concepts we'd had, despite not having time to really make real entries?

Totally kosher. I'm surprised no one went sorcerer, using the illithid heritage feat from Dragon Magazine Compendium, using polymorph to turn into an illithid when needed. Also, kin mastery, to rebuke/command illithids. That's what I would have made, had I done an entry.

Segev
2013-10-07, 09:58 AM
I had three ideas, one of which was invalid for the competition due to using PF material.

To me, looking at Flayerspawn Psychic, the crucial element is the psi blast. That's literally its only class feature aside from bonus feats chosen from a very narrow list, and it doesn't even give enough of those feats to, using just the class, get all 4 tentacles, let alone brain extraction. Therefore, I cannot assume that the class has a "core intent" of any specific set of the feats. All it gets, again, that's "special" is the illithid blast (which is ill-defined, but also isn't important in its ill-definition if one is trying to emulate it).

That said, my first instinct was still to try to mimic the tentacles. To that end, I pictured a dwarven White Haired Witch from Pathfinder: he's bald, but his luxurious white beard extends in tentacles to use his primary class features.

My second instinct was to do a sarcastic commentary on just how bad this PrC is at what it appears to be trying to do: let you "play an illithid." One of the entries actually is similar to my thought. My thought, however, was to flat-out use the Psionic Illithid, not the racial class. ECL 15 for an illithid. Psionic Illithid replaces their MM spell-likes with 9 levels of Psion (Telepath). Finish out the last 5 levels with either straight Psion or with a carefully-chosen manifester-continuing PrC, and you'll be doing what the Flayerspawn Psychic seems to be trying to do much better. Technically, I think a Flayerspawn Psychic whose only lost ML are due to the class will be slightly stronger overall, however, due to higher-level power access. Still, if you're going to play an Illithid, just play one rather than messing around with this PrC.

My THIRD thought was to play more towards what my opening paragraph alludes: play a psion, and make sure to pick up Psionic Blast. This flat-out gets you a better blast than Flayerspawn Psychic in all ways save range. (Sadly, the Enlarge Power feat only enlarges the range on things with variable range, for some reason, so can't be used to help here.) Whatever else you did - even spending psion feats on Illithid Heritage stuff - would make for a certain amount of power increase. If you feel the feats are really part of the flavor, you can pick them up with Psion Bonus or just flat-out regular feats. Heck, play a Psychic Warrior who picks up Psionic Blast via Expanded Knowledge, and you've got WAY more feats available to help out your Illithid Heritage than Flayerspawn Psychic gives you.

My truly serious submission, if I'd have had the time to really dig into it and try to make a work of art out of it, would have been to go either Warlock or Dragonfire Adept, however. DFA, more likely, because I could originate things from the mouth, which is the right visual. I was going to hunt for debuff effects (which leans more towards Warlock, admittedly) and make sure to shape it as a cone. DFA probably would lurch towards Sonic Breath. I never got around to looking into it enough to determine how I'd try to capture other bits of flavor. Obviously, the Heritage feats remain an option. But I think the cone-shaped debilitating effect is the key part of emulating this SI, because it's really the only thing that you HAVE to take this SI to get something you couldn't otherwise obtain through just taking feats.

Segev
2013-10-07, 10:01 AM
I'm surprised no one went sorcerer, using the illithid heritage feat from Dragon Magazine Compendium, using polymorph to turn into an illithid when needed.

I considered a few designs centering around Astral Seed, getting yourself Cerebromorphed, and then possessing your own body, but they would have been shakey via RAW and dealt with messy questions of what exactly comes with the body. Also considered mind switching with a Puppetteer and mind-controlling your own cerebromorphosis-enhanced body, though that has obvious drawbacks, too.

Flirted briefly with were-octopus, too. But sadly that only got the LOOK in hybrid form; mechanically, the tentacles just don't do anything outside animal form.

dysprosium
2013-10-07, 11:55 AM
That's a wrap. 5 Entries is a pretty good sum for such a terrible class. Feel free to discuss. Also, we're still looking for judges, so feel free to volunteer if you like.

Well since I did not get to enter this one I think I'll judge it. You'll have to give me a few days though. :smallwink:

Vaz
2013-10-07, 05:34 PM
As an aside, my entry was a Volodni Sorcerer 8/Incantatrix 10, with Born of the Three Thunders to deliver stunning spells, or a Invisible Fist Monk/Ur-Priest/Contemplative based build, using Pharaoh's Fist and Ring the Golden Bell to deliver ranged unarmed Area of Effect stunning strikes, followed up by Travel Devotion, to use 4x Illithid Tentacles to eat brain. The former just felt like an unoriginal power grab, while the latter ran out of feats.

That said.

MISTI NYGMA 4.25
InnovationHuman, Psion, both were expected, I didn't expect a Theurge, however. Pun Pun? Definately not expected, but known cheese. Penalising as well for a lack of background, at least make some attempt.

PowerYou get up to 12HD forms with your Wild Shape, and get their Ex abilities. Nice little boost there, which grants utility and in combat prowess. You take a long while to get online with that, however (ECL16).

With only Psion 7 and Druid 9, however, your casting is too far behind the game. Your capstone Mind Blast has a fairly pitiful DC of 20 before items; considering that the base class allows you to get up to 8th level Psionics and the baseline DC of a Cha based ability is around 24, you actually gain more from the base class, particularly when it improves with uses/day AND effect, whereas your feat does not. Your skill ranks are ineffectual; it's always better to identify a particular skill set, and maximise; Jack of all trades, Masters of None suffer in this aspect.

EleganceThere are no negative points here for it, although I'd like to; there is a layout in the first post. Please use it, it is so much easier on the eyes. Having a hard time reading your entry makes it harder as well to get points for yourself, so you're only hurting yourself by not using it. However, 3 Base Classes does take some explaining, particularly when you only advance 2 to anything approaching capable.

However, you don't even qualify for your trick on how you work. How do you get the Sarrukh's Ability? You don't get the ability to Polymorph (Can't polymorph into its shape, Wild Shape into it (14HD, you have a Max of 12), or Metamorphosis into it, and no Assume Su Ability or Metamorphic Transfer).

It's an aside as well, however, but no Sources would equal another penalty.

Ingredient; Yeah, I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to achieve with this. You can't achieve what you set out to do, and your abilities which do perform similiarly are nowhere near as capable as a standard Flayerspawn Psychic entry (Psion 10/FSP 10) would be able to achieve. Your Psionic Blast is present, but only 1/day. 3 Bonus Illithid Feats are accounted for, you have a good will save, and the skills are accounted for. It sounds horrible, but is nothing personal, but I really don't think that the build deserves the points it received.

DEAH VENUS 8.25
Innovation; Half-Illithid? Ooh, go on then, I'll admit. I forgot about this template. Telepathic Psion though? Sorry, saw that coming over the hill a mile off. The Background? You've barely even attempted that, it's a space filler, which reeks of putting in the bare minimum to not get marked down; but I personally wouldn't even consider that a background.

Power; Erm. Yeah; that LA? Not Pretty. The spell resistance is more of a hindrance for yourself, rather than providing any actual defence (DC26 SR isn't that hard to pierce by ECL20, SR11 at ECL6 is terrible). Mind Blast is 1/day, rather than 5/day, with limited duration and a DC of 14 is horrendously wasted. Your Psionics? Completely wasted. You are limited to learning 3rd level powers; you sacrifice up to 8th level Psionics. Wasted Skill points aren't really an intelligent thing to do. Run is a wasted feat as well.

Elegance; Again; that LA is causing issues for some DMs and lower level starting games, then assuming LA Buy-off is a no-no. You do not qualify for Metamorphic Transfer. I can't give you the full points that I'd normally have given a single classed character either, as much of the power comes from the template. Sourced gives you a consolation point. I've already penalised for a lack of background so won't do so again, but DM's may just have issue with a "Sinister Woman using Psionics" as a background; I personally would ask you to go away and try harder. You're half-illithid, for crying out loud, have fun with it.

Ingredient; You have a lower potential Mindblast, and only 2/3 bonus Heritage Feats. Good will save, and the most important skills are (mostly) nailed down. Being a smart-alec means you again lose points; one of the FSP's good points is its skill list, which you've missed the most part of.

I. C. TENTACLE 19.5
Innovation; I'll admit I'm a bit biased; my personal idea was to have a Brainstealer Dragon, but sadly, it was a Dragon Magazine only article; there was no second compendium, sadly. However, Ranger/PM Ardent/Slayer is a fairly expected and well known build, but a White Dragon (people use that; thought it was all about the Steel/Mist etc?) defeating the Illithids at its own game? Hells yeahs. Only complaint is the name, doesn't feel very dragony, but no points are lost there.

Power; The LA hits you in the early days, but you're a Dragon. What do you care? Flyby Attack and Strafing Breath keep you out of trouble, and you're still as tough as a Cleric on the front lines. You stay relevant at most levels. Form of Doom for the Illithid-lite, Microcosm for the brain eating dribbleness, Mass Time Hop for "I'm not fighting you until I'm good and ready", Pounce gives you melee power, and as you said, you've spanked the Action Economy into a broken-down junky mess. Microcosm and Slayer is beauteous.

Elegance; You've eaten the LA, and the EXP penalties. No complaints there. The Sovereign archetype is setting specific; however as a DM, I feel Dragons are slightly underpowered as Player Characters, and that they should apply to all settings, and not just Eberron, so I'll call it a wash, as there's nothing that's all that cross-setting in your build (with the exception of Crown of the North Wind). Long campaigns can be difficult for you is really the only fault I can find (which even then you've found a way around; and not only that, actively don't want to use, whereas most Dragon based builds work around starting out as a baby and then intentionally misreading Bestow Curse). As a quick aside, I'm unsure how the DC is affected by the age of the wearer; although the DC is an effect, there is already a set mechanic for working it out; 10+1/2HD+Con; in this case, 10+9+4=23. You are very well sourced.

Ingredient; Your "Mind Blast" has a DC that is just under what I'd consider the baseline Psion 10/FSP 10, but it is useable far more often, and far more capably. However, it is requiring an item. Just out of interest, while it would have taken Shenanigans that would have taken an elegance hit, the Stunning Breath spell could have been made a Psionic Power by a Spell-to-Power Erudite and then Chirurgeried into yourself. Between the DC, Frequency and size of the cone along with the fairly long duration, you lose nothing here. You make sure your pick up Undercommon. Your skills slightly let you down. Exceeding a Psion 10/FSP 10 in manifesting, however slight is a big bonus. You have the bonus Heritage feats. Same Will Save and massively exceeded BAB just puts the cherry on top.

NB; I don't want to break my scoring rubric "just because", but I'd have loved to give you that final point for Originality, but the Ranger/Ardent entry into Slayer is just so well known, my conciousness can't let me score. If I've missed anything you think pertinent, please, please point out. If there is a build deserving of max points, this is it.

NAANULU'TATHOON - Ineligible homebrew content, decline to score
I hate to be "thatguy" but sadly, without a Source to back up your Psionic Mind Flayer Monster Class, it is ineligible to judge, as it contains home brewed content. Having reviewed the entry, it seems to be a fair game, with you having made the requisite changes, but I do not believe it is fair to the other entries who found themselves tied to the RAW for the most part. I do not want to be the one to set the precedent of whole homebrew classes, or changes, however minor, to be included within a game intended to make the best of the rules as written. Once again, I apologise; it is nothing personal, and is done purely out of fairness. I will be happy to make a thorough and complete judging however should such a class be found.

PCHALIS PEYNS FACWRYS 12
Originality; Ooh, Metamind. I'm intrigued; I always hear two things about it; either its terrible due to half progression, or its capstone is broken. That evens out the Telepath, and being an Elan is a refreshing change from the typical Human. The background does need a bit of work; I'm not asking for War and Peace, but more than an "Oops, two minutes to go to deadline" scribble would be nice. Sorry, but minor hit there.

Power; You miss out on Psion 8ths and 9ths by not having 18 or 19 Int. Your Illithid Blast comes online far later than what I'd anticipate for something recreate a class which can get it at ECL6 by comparison. Not entirely sure why you'd go for Metamind however, short of capstone abuse; and there's no capstone here to make up for the 3 lost manifesting levels. Can't help but feel that you'd have got more playability out of Telepath 20. Maximising your skill points in key areas improves your capabilities whereas spreading them across the board means spreading them too thinly to have much of an effect. Early on, you're a pure Manifester, but go for melee, when you have 6HP at 1st level. Deep Impact is good if you were able to maximise Illithid Tentacle, but you go nowhere near enough.

Elegance; There are no negative points here for it, although I'd like to; there is a layout in the first post. Please use it, it is so much easier on the eyes. Having a hard time reading your entry makes it harder as well to get points for yourself, so you're only hurting yourself by not using it. It appears you qualify for all classes, and with only 2 classes, you get some browny points there. No feat trickery, and the only disappointing thing is that you didn't go for 10/10, but you went for power over elegance, which is understandable. There's no reliance on items either.

Ingredient; It's hard to make use of your skills, but you seem to have many of the most important ones nailed down. Psionics you are on par with (although modifying your points buy/level progression to get 19 Int would net you higher). Unfortunately, only 1/day Illithid Blast, with a DC of 20 isn't particularly impressive, and as a Psion, you have better options to deal with the inevitable mooks who will be the only ones failing this save, but similar saves and BAB are even. You've picked up your undercommon as a known language as well as having the 3 bonus Heritage feats. Unfortunately, the Blast is one of the big parts of the Ingredient, and unfortunately, it's not progressed or adequately catered for.

mattie_p
2013-10-07, 08:59 PM
Vaz, thanks for judging. As is typical, you have a response already.

Dispute for Vaz

I chose to take the Illithid Racial Class (found in Savage Species) as an alternative to the Race wholesale to make it technically playable at all levels, not just ECL 15-20. The only 'homebrewed' portion of the class is slotting in the effective telepath levels instead of the SLAs.

It's mechanically identical to the Psionic Mind Flayer variant found in the XPH at 15th level (of the Racial Class).

relytdan
2013-10-10, 09:27 PM
with so few builds and at least one judge maybe this will get done before the 20th -

Vaz
2013-10-11, 02:55 AM
Just a quick heads up- I will judge the dispute, but removing the homebrewed parts of it, and replacing them with the standard class. Expect a slight dip in power and elegance. Work has just built up and it is purely a matter of when I can get the time.

mattie_p
2013-10-12, 11:00 AM
Vaz, more disputes!

(These have been slightly edited for clarity)

Vaz-Disputes-

InnovationHuman, Psion, both were expected, I didn't expect a Theurge, however. Pun Pun? Definately not expected, but known cheese. Penalising as well for a lack of background, at least make some attempt.
0.75 Just how many penalties were assessed here? granted lack of background - it failed to make it over.

However, you don't even qualify for your trick on how you work. How do you get the Sarrukh's Ability? You don't get the ability to Polymorph (Can't polymorph into its shape, Wild Shape into it (14HD, you have a Max of 12), or Metamorphosis into it, and no Assume Su Ability or Metamorphic Transfer).
It's an aside as well, however, but no Sources would equal another penalty. 0

ok first all "SOURCES" were listed right after each thing - Druid (phb 33) Swift Wild Shape (ccham 57) - ect...; as for needing the Shinanigance- was dependant on if the ML would qualify the blast or not-
lets see wild shape - Momf Extraordinary wild shape - wildshape into a 14hd Sarrukh- then barrow from pun-pun routine to get stuff permenantly - cheesey -) by virtue of how Sarrukh grants its powers assume and metamorphic not needed

there should not be a 0 score here

Ingredient; Yeah, I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to achieve with this. You can't achieve what you set out to do, and your abilities which do perform similiarly are nowhere near as capable as a standard Flayerspawn Psychic entry (Psion 10/FSP 10) would be able to achieve. Your Psionic Blast is present, but only 1/day. 3 Bonus Illithid Feats are accounted for, you have a good will save, and the skills are accounted for. It sounds horrible, but is nothing personal, but I really don't think that the build deserves the points it received. 2
seems a harsh statment

Innovation; but I personally wouldn't even consider that a background.what are you an english major? the fact is a background is there and nothing says a background has to be X length - get off your high horse

Power; Your Psionics? Completely wasted, Wasted Skill points aren't really an intelligent thing to dowhat we have here seems rather petty comments and huge deductions - the goal is to mimic the SI

Elegance; You do not qualify for Metamorphic Transfer. ( Expanded Psionics Handbook, p. 48) Prerequisite WIS 13, manifester level 5th,
XPH p. 20; Psion 9th Maximum Power Level Known 5th -
then you make this comment -

" I personally would ask you to go away and try harder "

- this comment is unwarented and you need to not judge ever again.

so Did you Bother to check your references before you blindly made your judging - or are you insistant on being an **** - because at this point I am calling for the chairmain to make your scores invalid !

As an aside, I will not call to make scores invalid. I do, however, require that competitors and judges remain civil. Please do so. The spirit of this competition is for judges and competitors to have fun.

Vaz
2013-10-12, 04:27 PM
Misti Nygma;

Regarding the Penalties for Innovation starting at 3, Human (-0.5), Psion (-0.5), Theurge (+0.5), Pun Pun (-1.5), Background -0.25. I seriously considered just setting this score to 0 because of ripping off Pun Pun; it's not original, it's about the most well known trick in the D&D game, you can't go 1 day on the forums without it being brought up somewhere.

Regarding sources; that is my bad for missing them. However, your layout does not aid your cause. Help yourself by helping me, and follow the layout in the OP - putting a nice clear header saying "Sources" is fantastically clear. You can only Wild Shape into a form of your maximum HD allowed; you have Druid 5, and MoMF 7, 5+7 = 12. 12 last time I checked was less than 14. As to how a Sarrukh gains its powers, Manipulate Form is an Su. Without access to getting Manipulate Form, you can't change your form, and you might as well just be a Kobold Wizard with 4 ranks in K. Planes, bypassing ~16 levels of wasted time. I'd mark you up for having Sources, but because your "shtick" of being Pun-Pun-lite to get you your abilities of the SI doesn't even get you off the ground, doesn't work, there is no elegance to judge. I'm sorry, it might be harsh; BUT you took that "risk" when entering, and it didn't pay off. Another judge may judge different, or there may well be some trick that you've not properly explained clearly, in which case, please correct me. In regards to Illithid Blast requiring Practised Manifester or not, you were a 5th level Manifester anyway, PM would have done nothing for it.

In regards to the comment regarding it being "harsh", I can't say anything about that; it doesn't seem harsh to myself, but I'm a fairly blunt person - in regards to the final comment, it's true however. If you're resorting to just cribbing off another build, then you should really make sure it works. I didn't want to penalise you once more for Pun Pun (as you've been penalised in Originality for copying, Power for not achieving the potential power of what your base classes would be, and Elegance for not achieving what you set out to do, rendering the entire "trick" useless), so I judged the Ingredient Category on the merits of what you did achieve; which is why you got a 2. The comment was regarding that you attempted to use PunPun style tricks, only to get to Illithid Savant abilities is a waste. It is not my intention to hurt feelings so when/if I judge again, I'll try and tone down such comments.

Deah Venus

Whoa.

Trying to get me to change your scores, in a dispute, and coming off so belligerent doesn't help.

Firstly, regarding background, if I said "yes I am an English Major", would that help? I have no problem with its length, merely the content. "She is a sinister woman" is hardly however full of content. Deduction stands.

There were no petty comments. If you were mimicking the SI, then while yes, technically you do have "Craft Basketweaving", it does nothing for you; hence the deduction in power. You could have done so much more with it; another Knowledge, perhaps, so you can help your party out, for example. "Craft: Basketweaving" was a joke put into a handbook when regarding which skills were needed when you were a God wizard; it was a pithy comment saying "anything you want, you have everything you need". Recreating the SI, but with a twist as being a Grafter, for example, might have not lost you the points. The huge deductions were because your Psionics capped out at 3rd level, because you only have an Int score of 13, meaning you cannot learn any powers of higher level than 3rd.

Which leads me to my next point. I've got to admit, I made an error, you "qualify", but you can make no use of it, as you cannot learn Metamorphosis (a 4th level power);

To learn or manifest a power, a psion must have an Intelligence score of at least 10 + the power’s level. For example, a psion within an Intelligence score of 15 can manifest powers of 5th level or lower.

With an Intelligence of 13, you cannot learn Metamorphosis.

Please don't take my comment out of context; this is in regards to your lack of background. If I was expecting an entrant in a game (which is how I'm judging the entries, as if they were going into a game), then I'd expect more than "A Sinister woman". If I have a Sunday Roast meal, or whatever, I like a bit of gravy with my meal. I might have all the technical ingredients, like a bit of Beef, or Potatoes, some vegetables, etc, but I do like my gravy, it just ties everything together. The fluff is the gravy, and it sadly, I your "gravy" was not enough for me to enjoy.

Sorry, Naanulu’tathoon, I've not yet had chance to properly sit down and go through your build; I hope to be able to do so tomorrow, or at the very latest, Monday.

Prime32
2013-10-12, 06:22 PM
I'd been thinking about a build that used the flaying tendrilsCM spell for squid-face-iness (possibly supplemented by fearsome grapple), or the Deepspawn + Choke Hold feats if that kind of spellcasting wasn't on the table. I got held up looking for ways to handle mind blast though...

Oh well, I'll keep an eye out for the next contest.

relytdan
2013-10-14, 04:09 PM
well with several days to go wonder if any others will judge this

dysprosium
2013-10-15, 11:56 AM
I still plan on judging this before the deadline -- just have to make the free time coalesce before me.

MilesTiden
2013-10-15, 08:04 PM
Unfortunately, I didn't participate in this largely because I didn't want to shoehorn psionics into my build, which I figured would have lost me a bunch of points. It used the Voidmind template, Deepspawn, totemist levels, illithid extraction and Black Blood Cultist class to basically bring a tentacle-y death to well... anyone it could reach. I really wanted to shove some Soul Eater and warshaper levels in, but I couldn't quite figure it out. However, I do plan on using the character as a villain someday, as he's too fun not to use. It had... 14 or so natural weapons, plus unarmed strikes, each dealing... 1d8+1d6+12d4+32-ish damage, as well as 2 negative levels. It was a fun build, but didn't really fit the SI.

dysprosium
2013-10-17, 01:20 PM
I have scores NOW!

There are few monsters as iconic as the mind flayer. This challenge was to submit a build to emulate a prestige class that emulated the mind flayer. My scoring system is not an exact science as the entries are judged both against each other and against what is "expected." As always, no comment is personal.

Misti Nygma 10.5
Innovation 3.5
Humans are a staple in any optimization contest. Psions were to be expected for this. Though Druid, Master of Many Forms, and Pyschic Theurge were definitely not expected.
Power 2.5
You got up to level 7 of Master of Many Forms which is the real pinncale of the class for shapeshifing goodness. So it begs the question of why you would spend your ability points on physical stats since these change with your new form. They would have been better served by increasing your mental scores. You have an unused level of Sorcerer too. I see you picked it up for Alertness from your familiar but psicrystals confer that feat too. Speaking of which you rely on your familiar and/or psicrystal for Alertness to qualify for Master of Many Forms.
Elegance 1
You do not qualify for Swift Wild Shape (Fast Wild Shape is a prerequisite which you do not have). You do not qualify for Psychic Theurge (as you do not have any ranks in Knowledge [religion]). Your powers list is incomplete -- you are forgetting your higher level Druid spells and Psion powers. Unless I missed something as your entry was hard to read. And just say no to Pun Pun.
Emulation 3.5
Knowledge (psionics) 8--yes
Illithid Heritage--yes
psionic charm--yes
Undercommon--unknown, no languages listed
Strength of Illithid Blast--as feat which is weaker than Flayerspawn Psychic
Illithid Feats 3--yes
Deah Venus 11.5
Innovation 2
Humans are expected and Psions abound this round. Half Illithid Template was what I was going to use if I had entered so that was expected as well.
Power 2
Normally for Psion you would get high marks here but the powers you can learn is limited by the Intelligence your character has, which is not enough to get the really strong ones. You also spent your ability points on physical stats when they would have been better spent on your mentals. I don't see what the Run feat or the Craft (basketweaving) skill are doing for you in this build either. Had your Intelligence been high enough you would have scored higher here.
Elegance 2.5
As mentioned you do not qualify for your higher level powers as your Intelligence is too low. This leads to you not qualifying for the Metamorphic Transfer feat as well. Some kind of background could have explained some of the eccentric feat and skill choices.
Emulation 5
Illithid Heritage--yes
psionic charm--yes
Undercommon--yes
Strength of Illithid Blast--as half illithid
Illithid Feats 3--yes
I C Tentacle 16
Innovation 4.5
Well look what we have here! A dragon who thinks it is a mind flayer. Well if it can think, a 6 Int is really low. But the idea that he is some kind of dragon experiment to eradicate the mind flayers is a really cool concept.
Power 3.5
The level adjustment hurts you during your early career. However Ardent manifesting with (Illithid) Slayer prestige class on top makes this a strong class later on. You also get to play on both illithid and dragon strengths which is something the other entries could not do. You do have a reliance on pyschic reformation for the tentacles.
Elegance 3.5
You need a lot a DM approval to make yourself go--wyrm of war archetype, psychic reformations, substitute power acf. Some DMs would put the ban hammer down hard on this. On the plus side you do qualify for all of your feats and prestige class. Maybe I missed something when I read Ardent though but I'm not quite sure how you get 9th level powers here.
Emulation 4.5
Knowledge (psionics) 8--no (but given your Int, I'm not surprised)
Illithid Heritage--yes
psionic charm--yes
Undercommon--yes
Strength of Illithid Blast--emulated nicely with breath weapon
Illithid Feats 3--yes
Naanulu’tathoon 15.5
Innovation 3
Look Ma! A real illithid! Well that's certainly one way to emulate this class, and one I was considering for myself. Add on Psion levels and we're good here.
Power 3.5
The problem with playing monster classes is their squishiness at the low levels. Granted your feat selection helps offset some of this but you're not a mind flayer until ECL 15. That's a long maturation process. Getting up to 14th level manifesting is rather good though.
Elegance 4
In my real life group I had a player take this exact same progression for his character. It had proven effective for him--what he can do he does well. It's also a very elegant build ECL 15 plus 5 levels of Psion. Though is it cheating to bring an illithid to the table to emulate a class that emulates an illithid?
Emulation 5
Illithid Heritage--you are an illithid
psionic charm--yes
Undercommon--yes
Strength of Illithid Blast--the real deal, same as an illithid
Illithid Feats 3--you are an illithid
Pchalis Peyns Facwrys 15.5
Innovation 3.5
An elan is different as is Metamind, but as we know Telepaths abound this round. I do like the clever use of the class name as an anagram for your entry's name.
Power 3.5
You get 9th level powers. Or at least you would if use your WBL to compensate for your lower Intelligence score. I question your choice of the Psionic Weapon feat tree. It is not used for a non melee character which I think your character is. These feats could have been better used elsewhere.
Elegance 4
You do not qualify for Greater Psionic Weapon and Deep Impact feats when you take them. You need a BAB of +5 and your BAB when you take them is +3 and +4 respectively. You do qualify for your prestige class and a one base class plus one prestige class is pretty elegant.
Emulation 4.5
Illithid Heritage--yes
psionic charm--yes
Undercommon--yes
Strength of Illithid Blast--as the feat of the same name, your use of energy wave is also a good emulator except it lacks a stunning effect
Illithid Feats 3--yes

So check the maths but I think I got it right this time!

relytdan
2013-10-18, 05:19 PM
kewl more scores

relytdan
2013-10-20, 08:22 PM
guess no updates from a judge -
Judges will then have until Sunday, 11:59pm GMT, 20 October, 2013
present time: 1:21 AM Monday, October 21, 2013 (GMT)

mattie_p
2013-10-20, 11:38 PM
Sorry, unexpected absence. Updates coming tomorrow. Stay tuned!

Kuulvheysoon
2013-10-20, 11:50 PM
Sorry, unexpected absence. Updates coming tomorrow. Stay tuned!

Yes sir, Mr. Chairman sir.

Can't wait to see what you've got for us.

CyberThread
2013-10-20, 11:52 PM
Am just saving time

Everyone gets 0

Okay you can add that to the average :P

Segev
2013-10-21, 07:27 AM
We should get some Neogi judges. Your scores in each category would be equal to your bribes to the judges!

dysprosium
2013-10-21, 12:14 PM
We should get some Neogi judges. Your scores in each category would be equal to your bribes to the judges!

Only if I get to ride a thralled umber hulk!

Here's a table!

After two judges
{table=head]Place|Name|Vaz|dysprosium|Total

1st|I C Tentacle|19.5|16|35.5|-|-|-|-|-|-

2nd|Pchalis Peyns Facwrys|12|15.5|27.5|-|-|-|-|-|-
3rd|Naanulu’tathoon|10.5|15.5|26|-|-|-|-|-|-

4th|Deah Venus|8.25|11.5|19.75|-|-|-|-|-|-

5th|Misti Nygma|4.25|10.5|14.75|-|-|-|-|-|-[/table]

WhamBamSam
2013-10-22, 11:10 PM
So are we calling this, or are we waiting on Vaz to score Naanulu’tathoon, or what?

Kuulvheysoon
2013-10-22, 11:54 PM
So are we calling this, or are we waiting on Vaz to score Naanulu’tathoon, or what?

Not sure. mattie_p was online this morning, so it's not as if RL took over...

dysprosium
2013-10-23, 10:46 AM

Not sure. mattie_p was online this morning, so it's not as if RL took over...

It's not like him either. He was online this morning too . . .

relytdan
2013-10-23, 01:47 PM
vaz has been on more than enough times from his posting of scoring the 1 build that it should have been done by now if he was going to do so... and that looks like it is not happening.
as for mattie no clue, it is probly a safe bet to call this one closed.

dysprosium
2013-10-23, 02:12 PM
I sent a PM to mattie_p.

I agree that this one is/should be closed but I'd prefer to have a reveal from the Chairman before we "officially" call it.

It's only been three days max? Hardly a drop in the cosmic bucket of time.

Vaz
2013-10-23, 07:49 PM
I knew there was something to do. I'll be on it tomorrow. I'm sorry between splitting up with my girlfriend, work, study, training for a lacrosse tournament, triathlon, and charity fel run it slipped my mind to judge someones effort which i have by all rights the ability to decline to judge due to the use of homebrew material.

Sorry guys, I'll just put my life on hold so your little game can continue. :smallmad:

relytdan
2013-10-25, 07:01 AM
well post 5th day - and wondering - I submitted 3 builds.
I C Tentacle - was either whambamsam or newbie
Naanulu’tathoon - was either whambamsam or newbie

no signs of mattie...

Vaz
2013-10-25, 07:47 AM
Sorry about the delay.

Naanulu’tathoon; 10.5
Innovation; 1.5
Being fair I had expected to see a Mind Flayer be somewhere within the competition; after all it's class allowing a character to recreate the abilities of a Mind Flayer. Telepath's abound as well, sorry, and typical Intimidation Optimizing, Psicrystal Metamorphosis, AND VSP combo's are nothing all new.

Power; 2.5
Sadly, as you're a Mind Flayer, you don't actually have an effective Telepath Level; it would make sense, and is one of the great mysteries as to why WotC didn't make a Psionic variant (yet did so for Githyanki etc). So, for the purposes of being a Telepath, you have a Telepath level of 5, rather than 14. While it's a ballsy move, and quite possibly may make a showing in regards to a game I'd be running, it's not fair to others who have at least attempted to build within the constraints of RAW. So, limitations in powers known (3rd level max), means that your "capstone" of Metamorphosis and ASA (out of interest, why not Metamorphic Transfer? With MMT, you could change your ability even if you were limited to Psychoactive Skins). Your flexibility, is lost without access to PsyRef on your own terms; and it would have been quicker if you'd picked up Linked Power PsyRef (incidentally, by RAW, losing the XP cost); which you would arguably have been better than K. Dev and Imperious Command (as you could have changed those near enough At Will). The other limitation is your LA, and late access to gaining Su abilities.

Elegance 2.5
2 Classes, is very simple. However, that is lost by using the RAW Monster Class, but everything else I can see all checks out. However, slight docking for recreating a class that recreates the ability of the Mindflayer, using the Mindflayer... not really in the spirit of the competition; a bit like using Prestige Ranger in a Ranger competition.

Recreation 4
All the Tentacles, the Blast, an attempt at the Manifesting side, most of the skills. Yeah go on. Take a bow.

Hopefully mattie_P is alright.

dysprosium
2013-10-25, 09:04 AM
Sorry about the delay.

Hopefully mattie_P is alright.

I updated my table with the latest scores.

Sorry to hear about your troubles Vaz. Thanks for getting a score in.

I hope mattie_p is alright too.

relytdan
2013-10-27, 07:29 AM
hrm 7th day
anyone have the ability to contact mattie_p outside of this?
or has zinc died?

Kuulvheysoon
2013-10-27, 10:50 AM
hrm 7th day
anyone have the ability to contact mattie_p outside of this?
or has zinc died?

Likely RL issues. I know that I once posted Iron Chef a few days late because of moving/slow to connect internet. He'll get down to it when he finds the time.

Also, thanks for the ret-conned judging, Vaz - it's always nice to have a full set of scores.

relytdan
2013-11-01, 06:34 AM
located this at page 8 and Nov 1 - so should this be closed ? is zinc dead?

Segev
2013-11-01, 07:37 AM
That would seem a very sudden death.

And it could always develop a new chairman.

But it is curious where mattie_p went.

WhamBamSam
2013-11-01, 07:47 AM
But it is curious where mattie_p went.According to his profile, he was online on Wednesday, at least briefly. Someone could try sending him another PM, or we could just all reveal which builds are ours.

dysprosium
2013-11-01, 10:28 PM
I have sent mattie_p a second PM.

Unless there are any objections here, I would like to step in as the Chairman, until mattie_p's return.

So for the sake of closure here, since it would definitely appear that this round is over, would our contestants like to reveal which builds were their own?

I'll make a handy dandy chart, declare the winner, and call it a round.

WhamBamSam
2013-11-01, 11:21 PM
I.C. Tentacle was mine. I'm glad you guys liked him so much.

Since you asked about it in your judging, Ardent manifester progression allows you to learn powers based on how many power points you can spend instead of using an "effective Ardent level" or whatever you want to call it. This means that they only care about manifester level, and so Practiced Manifester fixes the problems that come from fiddling around in RHD and mundane classes. Hence, ML17 means 9th level powers, even if there are only 13 levels of "manifester class" progression.

I didn't bother disputing it since I was going to win anyway, and I noticed that I did actually make one small qualification mistake, namely not getting the 4 ranks in Psicraft needed for Practiced Manifester. Even with his crappy Int it wouldn't have been too hard to get the ranks (just trade out the points in listen on the RHD and the point of Concentration at Ardent 1), but I figured it came out to a wash.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-11-01, 11:48 PM
And I was Naanulu’tathoon. I'd just like to point out the psionic variant of the Mind Flayer on page 204 of the XPH which explicitly trades in it's SLAs for an effective telepath level of 9 (as evidenced by the list of powers selected).:smallwink:

So... consider that a final dispute? It was really pissing me off, because it gets 9 levels, but it only has 8 RHD, so I had to slip an extra level in there somewhere. It would have flowed a lot nicer had it only had the 8 levels of telepath.

dysprosium
2013-11-02, 07:34 PM
Final Tallies
{table=head]Place|Name|Chef|Total

1st|I C Tentacle|WhamBamSam|35.5|-|-|-|-|-|-
2nd|Pchalis Peyns Facwrys|relytdan|27.5|-|-|-|-|-|-
3rd|Naanulu’tathoon|Kuulvheysoon|26|-|-|-|-|-|-
4th|Deah Venus|relytdan|19.75|-|-|-|-|-|-
5th|Misti Nygma|relytdan|14.75|-|-|-|-|-|-[/table]

So Congratulations to WhamBamSam with I C Tentacle!

Special credit goes to relytdan for submitting three builds.

Thanks to our judges: Vaz and dysprosium (Well thank you dysprosium, you're too kind!)

In Zinc Saucier tradition, the next round will be offset versus the next Iron Chef round, so Zinc Saucier XIX won't start for a couple weeks.

Your New Chairman.

CyberThread
2013-11-02, 07:52 PM
I should hold an offseason challenge then.... some sort of speed application

relytdan
2013-11-02, 10:46 PM
Unless there are any objections here, I would like to step in as the Chairman, until mattie_p's return.

no objections- will be interesting to see what happens with this
yep 3 builds from me - had extra time off from work

CyberThread
2013-11-03, 12:17 AM
<-< I object, we don't need two chairmens

Kuulvheysoon
2013-11-03, 01:16 AM
I have sent mattie_p a second PM.

So for the sake of closure here, since it would definitely appear that this round is over, would our contestants like to reveal which builds were their own?

I'll make a handy dandy chart, declare the winner, and call it a round.

no objections- will be interesting to see what happens with this
yep 3 builds from me - had extra time off from work

Agreed. I'll back dysprosium, as he was the first contender.

Curmudgeon
2013-11-03, 01:19 AM
dysprosium's already stepped up and done the Chairman's work to finish off this round, and I think that effort merits endorsement for continuing as Chairman (until mattie_p returns).

relytdan
2013-11-03, 08:46 AM

ROLF -
Oh silly me seems I left out the quotes bit- no I did not want to be chairman- I was endorsing dysprosium

dysprosium
2013-11-03, 03:03 PM
Thanks for the support everybody!

I really hope mattie_p is ok.

The next Zinc Saucier round is going to start after the build reveal of the next Iron Chef.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-11-03, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the support everybody!

I really hope mattie_p is ok.

The next Zinc Saucier round is going to start after the build reveal of the next Iron Chef.

Maybe hold off for another 2 weeks?

mattie_p had it set up so you could build for Iron Chef, take your full 2 weeks, then turn around and build for Zinc Saucier for it's full run. If you start it at the same time, then people might have to compromise one entry or the other if they need the time (as they'd be building 2 builds in the same time frame).

Just my 2 copper.

dysprosium
2013-11-03, 03:22 PM
After rereading my last statement, I realize that I was unclear.

I really did intend to make Zinc Saucier be offset to Iron Chef so builders could enter both.

When I said "build reveal" I meant after the builds are posted and right as judging starts.

mattie_p's system was a good one and I did not mean to rock the boat.