PDA

View Full Version : Unique/Artifact longbow?

Edge of Dreams
2013-09-22, 07:30 PM
I'm trying to find examples in D&D (any edition) or PF of an extremely high-level bow, especially unique or artifact-level ones. Not very many seem to exist - swords and hammers and such seem much more popular to use as the basis for such things.

Anyone know where I can find such a weapon?

EDIT: I did find the ones in Weapons of Legacy at least. Any other good sources?

Palanan
2013-09-22, 08:03 PM
Yeah, definitely slim pickins' on the fancy-longbow front.

The Book of Exalted Deeds has an intelligent longbow named Seryl (p. 117), which is a +2 merciful composite longbow made from serrenwood, which grants ghost touch.

Complete Champion has the Bow of Elvenkind (p. 137), which has a few minor benefits saved up for clerics of Corellon Larethian.

Races of the Wild has something called a swordbow (p. 171), which apparently changes between bow and sword form, evidently designed for the indecisive elf.

Complete Divine has a relic called the Bow of the Wintermoon (p. 93), which is a +4 frost composite longbow and not much else. A little ways up on the same page is a raptor arrow, which is pretty expensive for a single reusable arrow.

With the possible exception of the Bow of the Wintermoon, these are all probably pretty dinky compared to what you're hoping for. Homebrew to the rescue?

ArcturusV
2013-09-22, 08:06 PM
Well, there's also Hank's Energy Bow, which was done on WotC's site, and is quite good for a unique bow.

I also seem to recall Arms and Equipment from 3.0 had a bow that allowed Clerics/Paladins to burn Undead Turning Attempts for extra damage dice... which isn't bad at all. I can't remember its name however... just that it looked really, really goofy.

Palanan
2013-09-22, 08:13 PM
Okay, I see that now. It's the "Larethian Protector," p. 112, which allows clerics of our favorite elven boss-god to burn a turn attempt for some extra d6s.

--Hm. Actually doesn't look half-bad for a lower-level character, although it's got quite a pricetag. But then I was always a bargain shopper.

:smalltongue:

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-09-22, 08:34 PM
Hank's Energy Bow (www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ask/20061227a)

Bow of the Black Archer (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20050701a&page=3)

Quite a while back I was rolling some random loot for a high level miniboss and got a composite longbow with four special abilities. It ended up being +4 Holy, Unholy, Bane, and Bane again. I decided to make it Good Outsider Bane and Evil Outsider Bane, considering its enhancement bonus would be increased to six versus those and overcome DR/Epic. I named it The Destroyer of Heaven and Hell, and it was one of their favorite items they'd ever found.