PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Redone Combat Maneuver feats, and new monstrous maneuver

Absol197
2013-09-22, 08:13 PM
Hey there! I was disappointed by how difficult it is to be good with multiple maneuvers, so I combined the Improved and Greater feats as follows. I also came up with the Smash combat maneuver, for use by giant beasties. What do you think? Any suggestions for improvement, especially on the Smash maneuver?

IMPROVED COMBAT MANEUVER (Combat)

Your training in combat allows you to perform combat maneuvers much more effectively.

Prerequisites: Combat Expertise, Improved Unarmed Strike, or Power Attack, Dex 13, Int 13, or Str 13; see text

Benefit: Choose a number of combat techniques equal to 1/2 your base attack bonus (minimum 1). You gain a +2 bonus on Combat Maneuver checks and Combat Maneuver Defense with those maneuvers, and you can perform the chosen maneuvers as an attack action and without provoking an attack of opportunity. You can select the same maneuver up to twice, and the bonus to CMB and CMD regarding that maneuver stacks. If your base attack bonus later increases, you may choose an additional combat maneuver to gain this bonus with.

You must have Intelligence 13 and the Combat Expertise feat to choose the following maneuvers: Dirty Trick, Disarm, Feint, Reposition, Steal, Trip

You must have Strength 13 and the Power Attack feat to choose the following maneuvers: Bull Rush, Drag, Overrun, Sunder

You must have Dexterity 13 and the Improved Unarmed Strike feat to choose the grapple maneuver.

Normal: You provoke an attack of opportunity when attempting a combat maneuver, and combat maneuvers require a standard action to perform.

Special: You can select this feat more than once. Each time, you choose additional combat maneuvers to gain the bonus, but you can never choose the same maneuver more than twice.

GREATER COMBAT MANEUVER (Combat)
You are a master at your chosen maneuvers.

Prerequisites: Improved Combat Maneuver, Base Attack +6

Benefit: Choose a number of combat techniques equal to 1/4 your base attack bonus that you have already selected at least once with Improved Combat Maneuver. You gain an additional +2 bonus to CMB and CMD when using or defending against the chosen maneuvers, and you gain an additional ability when using the chosen maneuvers.

Bull Rush: Enemies you bull rush provoke attacks of opportunity from your allies (but not from you).
Dirty Trick: When you perform a dirty trick, the condition lasts 1d4 rounds, for every 5 by which your attack exceeds the target’s CMD. In addition, the effect requires a standard action to end.
Disarm: Whenever you disarm an opponent, the weapon lands 15 feet away in a random direction. If you beat the target’s CMD by 5 or more, you choose the direction.
Drag: Enemies you drag provoke attacks of opportunity from your allies (but not from you).
Feint: Enemies you feint lose their Dexterity bonus to Armor Class for 1 round, not just against your next attack.
Grapple: You only require a move action to maintain your grapple, allowing you to make two grapple checks each round to move, harm, and pin your opponent), but you are not require to make two checks. You only need to make one check to maintain your grapple.
Overrun: If an enemy you overrun is knocked prone, it provokes an attack of opportunity.
Reposition: When you reposition a foe, he provokes attacks of opportunity (except from you).
Steal: If you successfully steal from an opponent in combat, it is not noticed that the item was stolen until the target next looks for it.
Sunder: If you successfully destroy an object with sunder, any excess damage is transferred to the wielder.
Trip: When you trip an opponent, that opponent provokes an attack of opportunity.

Smash Combat Maneuver
You can use your size and strength to attack an area rather than targeting a specific creature as a standard action. You can only use a smash on creatures one or more size categories smaller than you. You target a number of contiguous squares equal to 1 per 5 feet of your reach with the weapon used. All squares much be within your reach. If you do not have the Improved Combat Maneuver feat with respect to Smash maneuvers or a similar ability, attempting a smash provokes attacks of opportunity. All creatures in the chosen squares are affected. You make a combat maneuver check when making a smash attack, but the targets in the squares choose whether to have your roll apply against their CMD, or whether they want to make a Reflex save against your attack. If they choose to make a Reflex save, the DC is 10 + your combat maneuver bonus. You deal damage as normal for the attack you’re using.

If you beat a target’s CMD by 10 or more (or a target fails its save by 10 or more), it is knocked prone by the force of the attack.

Absol197
2013-09-23, 01:11 PM
No thoughts at all? Should I take that to mean you all think it's perfect :smalltongue: ? I know people are viewing, I can see it when you do!

D-naras
2013-09-23, 01:40 PM
It is a very elegant way to reduce feat tax. Still, you can take it a step further by removing the need of Combat Expertise, Power Attack and Improved Unarmed Strike but increase the ability requirements by 2. So something like this:

Your training in combat allows you to perform combat maneuvers much more effectively.

Prerequisites: Combat Expertise, Improved Unarmed Strike, or Power Attack, Dex 13, Int 13, or Str 13, you may ignore the feat requirements but increase the required ability score by 2; see text

...Text...

The Smash is pretty cool. Nothing imbalanced, and it increases tactical options for bruiser opponents.

Absol197
2013-09-23, 05:14 PM
It is a very elegant way to reduce feat tax. Still, you can take it a step further by removing the need of Combat Expertise, Power Attack and Improved Unarmed Strike but increase the ability requirements by 2. So something like this:

Prerequisites: Combat Expertise, Improved Unarmed Strike, or Power Attack, Dex 13, Int 13, or Str 13, you may ignore the feat requirements but increase the required ability score by 2; see text

...Text...

The Smash is pretty cool. Nothing imbalanced, and it increases tactical options for bruiser opponents.

Hmm...I could do that, but I'm not sure. From my own experience, being able to throw techniques like these into combat effectively isn't so much about raw ability as it is training. I'm open to bring persuaded otherwise, though!

The argument I had heard before that I was also trying to address is that by lowering the bonus the Improved feats have to +2 it weakened melee characters. What I wanted to do was make the feat able to give the original +4, or +2s to multiple maneuvers. Also (although I didn't put this in here), I've changed all maneuvers to a standard action, but with Improved Maneuvers you can do it as an attack action (so in place of an attack in a full attack).

The thing I'm concerned about with Smash is that it's too good of an option. I was debating making the target's choice be between AC and Reflex save, because I was thinking that armor and shields might still apply, but...I dunno. I want it to be an effective option, but not always as good as attacking straight AC.

D-naras
2013-09-23, 05:18 PM
Reduce it's damage then? That way it's still useful but not an automatic gimme. Say deal damage like 1 size smaller?

General Patton
2013-09-23, 06:52 PM
One minor problem with Smash's Reflex Save is that Save DCs are always on the order of 10 + 1/2 level + ability mod, but CMB includes one's BAB, which is generally over 1/2 level, and some rather hefty size bonuses.