PDA

View Full Version : All the King's Men- IC

Trivino
2013-09-23, 03:50 AM
As the party enjoys another quiet night, a knock on the door startles everyone. A quick look reveals Alexander Stone, wealthy merchant extraordinaire. He grooms his graying hair quickly as he waits for the door to open. As the door opens, he quickly welcomes himself inside and has a seat on a nearby chair. He strokes his well-groomed beard as he eyes the different members of the party. As the party stands around the room confused by Stone's visit, the old man eventually clears his throat to speak.

"I have a job opportunity. It's something so big and so ridiculous, that it will require an entire team to accomplish."

Archmage1
2013-09-23, 07:48 AM
Standing in the corner, calmly considering Alexander's offer, stands a beautiful elven woman, dressed in simple, but practical clothing. She had, of course, expected this offer, as her contacts had reported his approach, giving her some warning, although she did not know the details.
Still, no better way to find out, initially, than to ask. Verification from additional sources would, of course, be a necessity.
All this would be much simpler, had she not recently arranged to depart the prison the guards had so graciously placed her in on trumped up charges by the thieves guild. The damage her network had taken would take months to repair, and she needed funds to do so. Perhaps this could be made to provide them?

"Come now, a mystery job, appearing out of the blue? Surely you have a little more information than that, for us? It would hardly do to pay a friendly visit to the wrong target, after all."

Trivino
2013-09-23, 10:43 AM
Alexander twirled his thick mustache with a light-hearted chuckle.

"Why I need you to steal the scepter of the king. The scepter that he uses will cash in for quite the gold coin, so if you can accomplish this, I will promise you 25% of the money I make off of it. That's easily over 100,000 gold coins each. People will pay fortunes for this scepter!

I know it's rare that a job of this caliber would make its way to such a low-level guild, but is this not the opportunity that you are looking for? After all, why wouldn't I entrust such a job to a world-renown guild? They have nothing to prove. But you... you all want to make a name for yourself, no? Now what do you say? Are you ready to get rich?"

Archmage1
2013-09-23, 10:59 AM
Her mind whirling, Varian is already planning out how to complete the job, however, the entire thing smells remarkably fishy. Still, there might be a way...

"Over a million gold? For a scepter? That would be some heist. However, before we go anywhere, I am afraid that we would need an up front payment, to cover expenses associated with the job. In addition, we would need some assurance that you wouldn't be planning on stiffing us, and running with the scepter, or claiming that it was a fake. I presume that you do have a way to verify that the scepter is not a forgery?"

[roll0] diplo
[roll1] sense motive, trying to figure out what the catch is.

Trivino
2013-09-23, 11:38 AM
archmage1
From your sense motive check, you realize that stealing the scepter from the king is a dangerously risky job to take on. That is more than likely the catch.

"Ah, thinking ahead I see. Well I will gladly wait here until you return. After all, how do I know you won't run off with the scepter when you steal it? When you return with the scepter, we can determine then how we will sell it."

Archmage1
2013-09-23, 11:44 AM
Varian smiles slowly, her voice charming, gracious, but, under it, it is clear that she is quite set. She will not participate in a suicide mission, and that is what this job looks like, at the moment.

"That could be workable, I suppose. As a baseline, anyway. However, we will need a up front payment, as a sign of good faith, as well as giving us the funds needed to carry out the job. Without that, we will not take such a risk."

This idiot believes that we can just stroll in, take the scepter, and stroll out, easy as that? It will take days, or weeks of work to pull this heist off successfully, and even then... much less risky options exist. I wonder if I could get him to offer a decoy for us...

Trivino
2013-09-23, 11:50 AM
"Fair enough. Name your price."

Archmage1
2013-09-23, 11:56 AM
Varian considers, thinking that she might as well go for the high initial fee.
"I would normally suggest half up front, as we typically work on commission, but I suspect that you will be unwilling to offer three hundred thousand gold up front."
She pauses, giving him the opportunity to respond.
"Lets say, ten thousand gold. That should give us enough to purchase specialty equipment as needed, bribe guards, get an invitation, that sort of thing."

Trivino
2013-09-23, 12:03 PM
Alexander sat back in his seat at the initial offer. He closed his eyes as his mind worked furiously. After a brief moment, Alexander reopened his eyes and looked over Varian.

"7,000 gold. That should be more than enough, and you know it."

Chilingsworth
2013-09-23, 12:56 PM
A nondescript gnome stands easily in a shadowed corner. Drawing from his natural magics, he forges a link between the guild members present.

(using my message spell-like ability. We can all whisper to each other at distance)

<<I don't like the feel of this. Suppose he's using us to test royal security?>>

madtinker
2013-09-23, 01:15 PM
Ricky listens but doesn't comment. that, after all, isn't his job. But he immediately begins to think of ways to accomplish the goal.

Kidnap the king, scepter and all. Or switch it with a fake in the royal treasury. Pose as the kings adviser. Forge an order from the king to send the scepter to a trusted general for some secret mission. They could deliver it right to our door!

He can barely contain his excitement as he ponders the possibilities.

Kazyan
2013-09-23, 01:20 PM
Gammiz's boot-clad talons stomp across the ground as he paces. The kenku has one claw over his mouth, as if thinking, but it's also to disguise his whispering.

"Not letting my partners walk in to the most obvious trap. It sounds too fun to be real. I say we jump him for answers."

Archmage1
2013-09-23, 01:22 PM
Varian considers this offer, before nodding.
"7000 should do, however, if we run into additional complications, we may need to ask for more, in order to cover these unforeseen circumstances. Now, do you intend to wait here still, or should we simply contact you when the job is done? It will not be an immediate thing, as such tasks require time, and planning."

She waits for the money, ignoring Gammiz's uncouth suggestion. That could wait until they had a bit more information to base plans on.

Trivino
2013-09-23, 03:38 PM
"Simply send for me. If you are unfamiliar with my whereabouts, just ask around. You should have no trouble finding me," Alexander offers with a wink. With that, he pulls a large from his coat and drops it onto a table.

"Here's your money," Alexander informs before heading back out the door.

Archmage1
2013-09-23, 03:42 PM
Varian smiles as he places the bag on the table.
"Of course, Mr. Stone, of course."

She waits until he is gone, and she can no longer hear him(or anyone else) at the door.
[roll0] listen

Before she turns to the others, clearly wanting their opinions, her voice, calm, measured.
"Well, it screams trap to me, but I see not harm in at least taking a look at it. At the least, we can just run with the gold, and move elsewhere. Might get him coming after us, but if we split, I imagine that he is unlikely to find us all. Does anyone else have any other suggestions? We need information before we start making detailed plans, so please, no half baked ideas."

madtinker
2013-09-23, 05:37 PM
i'lll bet we can find some way in that doesn't put us at too much risk. A scepter is just a fancy stick, how hard could it be? Let's go for it.

Archmage1
2013-09-23, 05:43 PM
Varian shakes her head, astounded, as she always is, at her companion's foolishness.
"Assuming we can steal the scepter, which will be quite well guarded, as it is likely with or near the king at all times, who will be well protected, and assuming that we do so without anyone getting recognized, and us making a clean escape, Mr. Stone's story still does not hold true. The scepter would not be salable, as it would be far, far too hot, and over a million gold... even if the thing was the most powerful magical artifact ever, and was made of pure platinum, no one would pay that price for it. Since the price is not reasonable, that means that the item is not the goal, which leaves us at politics, which tend to be lethal for people like us. Still, perhaps I am wrong, and, at the minimum, we should see what I can learn from my contacts about things, but... I think it is far, far too risky."

Kazyan
2013-09-23, 06:17 PM
"The first thing we need to do is figure out what we're up against. Take a look at guard formations and patrol patterns, how to get appointments and what kind of security that entails, whether or not they throughly search anyone when they get into the castle, blah blah blah. Gotta look at the nut's shell before we crack it." Gammiz snapped his beak for emphasis.

Archmage1
2013-09-23, 06:25 PM
Varian nods.
"I can handle that. I am sure I can find an ex-guard or two, or make one. Don't neglect our employer, though. We know nothing about him, beyond his willingness to give us seven thousand gold with almost nothing preventing us from taking it and running. Now, why don't I go and see what I can find out, while you fellows see what you can do for preparation. I will, however, need some of the gold for bribes and the like."

She collects 1000 of the gold, and heads out, securing the gold on her person to discourage thieves, as she tries to gather information on the defenses of the castle, the scepter, and their erstwhile employer, Mr. Stone. Of course, she does all this with a completely different face, a rather unremarkable human male, rather than the one that everyone else knows her by.

Take 10 on gather info for those three topics, a 24 in total. Additionally, unknown to everyone else, she will take the opportunity to buy some basic equipment, since she kinda needs it.(She will buy tools before making the gather info) [roll0] * 10 minutes(She has a racial that reduces this)

Kazyan
2013-09-23, 06:36 PM
"I'll go get my magic doohickeys and I'll be back. You guys fogire out what to do with that money. I mean, I've been looking at getting a Possum Pouch, but the money's gonna be better spent on the heist that gets us enough money to live like the king, and--" Gammiz keeps babbling, half to himself, as he goes off to get his stuff from deeper in the old reliable hideout.

Chilingsworth
2013-09-23, 06:44 PM
Shadow

Hmm... I wonder. Could the gold itself be a trap of some kind? You're right that he gave it to us too easily. Maybe he's using it to gather information, somehow?

Aside from that, I still think he's using us to test palace security. Either for an attempt at something else, or because he works for the king. From the point of view of a security expert, who better than wannabe thieves like us to put his new traps, wards, and guard procedures to the test?

I mean, we have the basic skills to make the test somewhat valid. And, after we're captured, our gruesome and public executions wont bring down retaliation from a powerful guild.

The architect of the system gets royal praise, some guildsmen get eliminated, and the rest get a message.

Archmage1
2013-09-23, 06:50 PM
Before she leaves, Varian hears Shadow expressing his opinion of the job.
"Perhaps. We will need to get it checked for magical traps if we choose to flee. Whether he wants us to test the security or not, we should still see what we can learn before making any major decisions, but I agree, this is remarkably fishy."

madtinker
2013-09-23, 07:25 PM
It's only risky if we do what this guy expects us to do. We just figure out what he thinks we'll do, and then do exactly the opposite. We don't even have to break into the castle to steal this thing, if we play our cards right.

Archmage1
2013-09-23, 07:27 PM
Varian gives Ricky the look as she departs. Clearly, she considers the masterful plan of doing the opposite... not so masterful.

MissTiefling
2013-09-23, 09:27 PM
During the conversation Drix listened quietly from the corner. She wasn't much for politics. She was more concerned with doing her job and getting paid. Making the obscene amount of money the man was offering all that more interesting. She gave Mr.Stone a warm smile as he left that was quickly replaced by a sour face. 'So we all agree this is more than likely to good to be true' Drix rolled her eyes. 'Well regardless we could at least scope it out. Heck we do it right we could be in and out before anyone knows we're there.'

Trivino
2013-09-24, 12:44 AM
Archmage1:
While out on the town, you make contact with a goods merchant. The merchant is surprised at your lack on knowledge on Alexander Stone. The merchant rambles on and on about the "incredible" man. He informs you that Stone owns quite a bit of property and other random investments throughout the kingdom. He then mentions that some think Stone is more powerful than the king himself!

As far as the castle itself goes, the merchant informs you that the guards rarely let any average person in. They are rather restrictive on who they let in, so he cannot offer much information about the security inside the castle.

Archmage1
2013-09-24, 05:55 AM
Taking 10 on gather info once more, for a 24.
Are there any retired or dismissed guards available?
And... no information on the incredibly valuable scepter?

Interesting. If this stone is more powerful than the king, he may be planning a coup. But that would the scepter have to do with that.
Varian continues digging, still needing some additional information.

J-H
2013-09-24, 08:06 AM
Kasha pulls a few coins out of the bag and starts flipping them between her fingers after the man leaves.

"I can split skulls, but Royal Guard? We'd better not get caught. This is a sneaky job; if I have to do anything, it's gone bad. When does the king not use the scepter? Maybe wait until he goes into the country hunting or something, strike while he and guards are gone."

Archmage1, I'm assuming you'll share anything relevant from your spoilers with the group

madtinker
2013-09-24, 09:14 AM
That's right Drix. In and out, with no one knowing. We learn as much as we can, then choose the place and time to do the job. Maybe start now by having one of us get a job at the castle.

While saying all this, Ricky is pacing back and forth in a frenzy. What do you need to get a job, anyway? Documents? a letter of recommendation? Kasha, why can't you be a palace guard?

Trivino
2013-09-24, 07:57 PM
Archmage1:
The merchant looks at you, head cocked. "Let me think a moment... You know, there is the former guard, Archibald the Scoundrel. He was released years ago for voicing a disagreement with the king. Many believe that Archibald reviles the current king and wishes to see him suffer. He lives out in a shack just outside the castle. But I'd be weary of visiting him. Guards watch him constantly. They still believe he wants to overthrow the king."

The merchant scratches his head once more and he appears to have come up with a second name.

"Sir Edvin! That's right! The great knight retired not too long ago... How could I possibly forget about him? He was truly a great knight! And I truly no nothing about the scepter. Why are you so interested in the scepter anyways?"

As the rest of the party sits in their hideout, the sun begins to set on the horizon. Darkness begins to creep over the kingdom...

Archmage1
2013-09-24, 08:15 PM
Varian, the unassuming young man, smiles, charmingly.
"Thank you, you have been most helpful. My mistress is hoping to write a biography of the king, and she wanted me to see what I could learn of those around him, even if only a bit. The side stories always sell more books! I will be sure to tell her to look them both up!"
[roll0] bluff

As she leaves, Varian quietly swipes a mithril chain shirt, concealing the act with her body. On the way back, she purchases a small leather satchel, and a lot of paper, as well as ink, ink pens, and the like, intending on supporting her story a bit better next time. It might even be enough to get her in to talk with the king.

Before returning, she heads into a small alley, concealed from the sight of all, and morphs back into the face that her allies are familiar with, entering the door smiling, after checking for other observers. [roll1] spot

Once inside, she heads over, and pulls out her paper, and starts writing notes on the king, his reign, that sort of thing, intending on using it as a prop to gain access to places. While she writes, she talks to the others.
"All right, I learned a few things. Mr. Stone is quite well known, and is considered to have power comparable to the king's. That may be true, he might be paying rumormongers, or it might be an understatement. No way to know for sure. The palace security is fairly secretive, although, I was able to get two names, a Archibald the Scoundrel, and Sir Edvin. Both retired guards, and they can probably tell us more. Archibald sounds like the better choice, however, he may also be a trap. No reason to not be cautious. He is also apparently watched by the guards. Sir Edvin sounds like he may require a little... persuasion, to talk with us, but I think I can come up with a way to get him to talk."

She leans back in her chair, and waits for the ink on the freshly written, expertly crafted documents to dry.
"Now, I was thinking that if I can gain a position at the court, as a royal biographer, I could verify any intelligence gained, as well as generate more. It might give me an opportunity to steal the scepter, but I doubt it. If I let it be known that I am making such a document, and doing so well, I can probably convince the king to allow me to accompany him. Talking to the ex guards, and off duty ones would enhance my chances, I suspect. While I do that, you will need to see if there are any secret entrances to the castle. There must be, but finding them... that could be difficult."

madtinker
2013-09-24, 08:32 PM
I was just saying to Kasha and Drix that we could get jobs there ourselves. Kasha could be a guard, you're a biographer... what else do they need at a palace?

Archmage1
2013-09-24, 08:40 PM
"They would always have a need for servants, but we will also need to investigate Mr. Stone, and I can't do everything. Guarding is going to have a relatively high level of scrutiny, which could be difficult. Thus, splitting up would appear, for the nonce, to be the best solution."

MissTiefling
2013-09-24, 09:43 PM
Drix nodded at Ricky. 'Kasha would make a great guard. Provided we can get her a good cover. I'm an awful liar though. They'd see right through me. I could always keep an eye on stone.'

Chilingsworth
2013-09-25, 04:24 AM
I suppose I could assist Drix.
At least if she gets in trouble, I can help her fight her way out if necessary.

Archmage1
2013-09-25, 06:01 AM
"All right. Perhaps you can take a look at Stone's estate, and scope the place out. Might be helpful, for the future."

J-H
2013-09-25, 07:57 AM
"Royal guard are soldiers, soldiers are men, and I'm not a man, thank you." Kasha glares at Ricky indignantly.

"Biographer maybe work, or just talk to the ex guards and see if they have a suggestion for how to sneak in."

Archmage1
2013-09-25, 08:09 AM
Varian smiles, slyly.
"Biographer gives me a perfect reason to talk to the ex guards, walk around the palace, talking, getting a map of the castle memorized, and all of it without raising suspicions, so long as I actually write, and even then... who knows... it might be a profitable book as well. We would not, of course, discuss exactly how to break in, as that would be much too obvious. Still, it grows late. It is time to either rest, or to go and look at Stone's estate, and think about heading inside."

madtinker
2013-09-25, 09:05 AM
Let's check out Stone. He seems to be the one we're most unsure of.

Do you think the palace needs an artisan?

Archmage1
2013-09-25, 09:08 AM
"Do you have the skills? If so, I suspect that they have some statue damage that they need repaired, or, at least, they will. If we are to check out Stone's estate, then we should depart within an hour or two. We shouldn't break in, just observe. No reason to not do the same at the palace as well. First hand knowledge is always helpful."

Varian, her notes now dry, places them back into the satchel with some of her writing supplies, and prepares to move out once more.

madtinker
2013-09-25, 09:13 AM
You forget, I was apprenticed to a first rate smith for four years. I should hope I know something about weapons and armor.

Archmage1
2013-09-25, 09:17 AM
"True enough. You said artisan, though, not smith, leading me to assume you were talking about an artistic position, not as an apprentice smith. Assuming you are reasonably skilled, and you have not forgotten, we may be able to get you a position as an apprentice smith, but, again, it will require time, as we would want the smith to ask for you, which could be a bit complicated to arrange. Or easy. We simply don't have the information to judge the difficulty there."

madtinker
2013-09-25, 09:25 AM
Reply, a little haughtily, "Oh, you thought I meant artist. No, artisans make useful things. Artists make things that you can vandalize.

Anyway, if you're just observing, perhaps it would be best to not bring a large group. I'll just stay here and work on some things, if its all the same to you."

Archmage1
2013-09-25, 09:30 AM
Varian sighs.
"An artisan makes what he or she is paid to make. Whether that is a stone wall, a sculpture, or a flower garden, they are all artisans. An Artist specializes in things that are nice looking. As for not bringing the group... a group of friends, walking down a street, drunk, is a fairly effective disguise, and knowledge is always useful."
She waves her hand.
"But we digress. If you don't wish to observe the targets, that is your choice."

If he wishes to forfeit any chance of not trusting me, that works, but best not to appear as though I approve.

Having finished packing, this time, leaving her backpack and weapons behind, wearing simple, plain clothing, Varian looks like a normal enough elf, out for an entertaining night.

"Is everyone who is coming ready?"

Chilingsworth
2013-09-25, 10:03 AM
Wearing his mithiril chain shirt under his clothing, with a dagger secreted away, Shadow nods.

When you are, Boss.

Kazyan
2013-09-25, 10:32 AM
"Yeah, let's go ahead. Get to the part where we poke around," Gammiz says as he returns with his equipment.

Archmage1
2013-09-25, 11:28 AM
"We are not breaking in tonight, just looking. Being too heavily armed and armored would be suspicious."

Once everyone is ready, she heads out, leading the group to an unobtrusive view of Stone's manor.

madtinker
2013-09-25, 11:53 AM
TrivinoWhile they're gone, Ricky sits down at Varians's desk with his forger's kit, and writes himself a journeyman's letter. He recalls the Master's and Journeyman's letters Master Strongarm kept behind glass in his study, so he is familiar with guild paperwork. He takes some time to make it all nice and official, bestowing upon himself the rank of Journeyman, which should allow him to seek work at other forges besides that of his master. He even remembers to include the flourishing S of Strongarm in the signature.

Why didn't I do this ages ago? he wonders to himself.

When finished, he tucks the letter away in his haversack, then gets out his artisan's tools to clean and inspect them while waiting for the others to return.

J-H
2013-09-25, 06:24 PM
Kasha follows the others, staying several hundred feet behind, and changing routes often enough that she won't appear to be "with" them to any observers. Her stocky, muscular build combined with the outline of a falchion under her cloak is enough to give any would-be muggers a second thought unless they are stupid or drunk.

Chilingsworth
2013-09-25, 06:42 PM
Shadow follows the others.

Trivino
2013-09-25, 11:16 PM
As you approach Stone's manor, a large stone wall surrounds the entire complex. The path you are on leads to a narrow opening in the wall, but it has an oversized guard on either side of it. As you approach, the guards straighten their posture and tightly grip their sheathed weapons. The one on the left nods to the party as he speaks. He has an eyepatch and has balding brown hair.

"What business do you have here, simpletons?"

Chilingsworth
2013-09-25, 11:45 PM
*to the guard*

Hey, is this the way to the Ram's Head?

*to Varian*

El? Didn't you say to go this way for our pub crawl?

Attempting to aid another on Varian, who I'm expecting to attempt a bluff check. By trying to set up said check:
Bluff: [roll0]

Archmage1
2013-09-26, 05:56 AM
Varian, taking the oppertunity, nods, sounding a little drunk already. Apparently, not one that could hold her wine.
"Yea... This s Trd Street, rights? Bobby Shaid there was a greatsh pub here!"
26 bluff(taking 10)

Third street is a nearby street, but not the right one.

MissTiefling
2013-09-26, 09:17 AM
Drix had followed closely with the group. Having left her bow back at base she appeared to be nothing more than a girl out for a good time. She was dressed in simple but comfortable clothes. Clothes that would allow her free movement should she need it. As they approached Stone's residence Drix did her best drunk impression "Nope. Nope. Nope. The Ram'ss head has a a RAM'S head on it. This place has a... mans head." She said looking to the guard on the right of the opening. "I like your head..."

MissTiefling
2013-09-26, 09:25 AM
I pissed off the dice roller

Bluff :
[roll0]

Trivino
2013-09-26, 10:24 AM
The guard with the eyepatch glances over at the other guard, slightly confused. He calmly takes his hand off his weapon and shrugs.

"Well Mako, it appears we've got a couple of drunkards on our hands..."

The guard looks back at the party and leans in close, his rank breath hittinh the party like a brick, "You drunken idiots better get your disgraced bodies off this property before I take you off personally... piece by piece."

Archmage1
2013-09-26, 10:26 AM
Varian pokes a finger into his chest.
"Heys! We has Rights n stuffs! Yous can't blosk the road!"

Trivino
2013-09-26, 10:30 AM
"You have no rights here. Now I suggest you leave!" the guard roared.

Just as he begins to raise his voice, a familiar voice calls out from the short distance.

"Critias, calm yourself."

The figure walks closer, and in a matter of moments, Alexander stands before the party. He offers an embarrassed smile to the party.

"I apologize for my guard here; he can be a little extreme. Is there something you all needed?"

Archmage1
2013-09-26, 10:56 AM
Varian's drunkenness vanishes.
"Would you say that your guards reaction is comparable to the reaction of guards employed by others?"

J-H
2013-09-26, 08:31 PM
Seeing the altercation with the guard from a distance, Kasha casually turns a corner and continues her stroll on a path that'll take her behind the estate.

Kazyan
2013-09-26, 08:53 PM
"Let's just keep walking, keep walking, keep walking..." Gammiz comments, walking with Kasha. "You think they'll be fine, or..." He gestures back toward Varian and company with a single claw. "I could go back."

Trivino
2013-09-28, 07:41 PM
Stone flashes a smile at Varian's question. "I would surely hope not! I have paid for the services of the best guards in the kingdom. These men would surely rival those of the king himself! Now of this scepter, any progress?"

Archmage1
2013-09-28, 07:45 PM
Varian shakes her head.
"By others, I meant the king. If the guards are this aggressive, though, that makes life a bit more interesting. As for the item you commissioned, it is going reasonably well, however, it will take some time, to ensure that it goes well, and that it meets your requirements."

Varian, of course, was not going to discuss illegal doings in public.