PDA

View Full Version : The World of 3.5

WhatThePhysics
2013-09-23, 07:37 AM
[Post removed by author.]

TheStranger
2013-09-23, 09:54 AM
Interesting experiment, and I'll be watching to see how it turns out.

However, I don't think the 3.5 rules "logically" lead to any specific result. Partly because I don't think the rules are internally consistent enough for that, particularly when you get into the D&D economy. Partly, also, because there are still assumptions that need to be made without a lot of guidance from the rules. How common are high-level spellcasters (and are they altruistic)? How numerous are the various races? What are the cultural implications of resurrection?

Mostly, though, it's because people aren't necessarily logical, and people can disagree about whether something is logical. Feeding everybody with create food traps might be logical to some people (probably the ones who need food), but that doesn't mean it will happen (and you can bet that the grain merchants don't think it's logical at all).

It's definitely a fun thought exercise to consider the effect of various mechanics on the world, but there's plenty of room for debate about where that leads.

Egregious Kelly
2013-10-06, 05:28 PM
Keys to prison cells all weigh 6 pounds, to keep spellcasters from mage handing their way to freedom.

Scholar23
2013-10-07, 08:57 AM
Keys to prison cells all weigh 6 pounds, to keep spellcasters from mage handing their way to freedom.

NNNnnnoooooo, my archmage can never escape now:smalltongue:

Backs to the point now is that this seems like a good start and your very organized which is nice:smallbiggrin:

the_david
2013-10-08, 03:30 PM
Health isn't represented by hit points. Hit points only represent how much damage you can take, fortitude represents health.

Egregious Kelly
2013-10-08, 10:38 PM
I suggest looking at some of the lower level spells, as those are the most accessible and most likely to affect the entire population. For every caster capable of 9th level spells, there are thousands capable of 0th and 1st level spells.

The guidance spell, a zero level spell on the adept, cleric, and druid spell lists may have some very dramatic effects. Quoting the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/guidance.htm)

The creature gets a +1 competence bonus on a single attack roll, saving throw, or skill check.

A +1 bonus is a 5% increase in the result of a d20 roll. Applied to craft checks, that's a 5% increase in production. To a profession(farmer) check, that's 5% more food. When plagues hit, and the divine caster has an arcane caster buddy with a resistance spell, the recipients of both are 10% more likely to survive.

While 5% is not a large increase by itself, it becomes huge when it applies to an entire year's production.

It is arguable that guidance can't apply to long term skill checks, since the roll must be made within the 1 minute duration. But if everyone makes their craft check at the end of a 8 hour workday, then you just have the craftspeople share their workspace with as many people as their adept buddy has 0-level spell slots. Adept casts at 4:59 PM, just before they roll their craft checks and go home. RAW can get absurd if you let it....