PDA

View Full Version : What is PFS?

gomipile
2013-09-23, 02:04 PM
Recently, I've seen people mention something called PFS. From context, it seems like something related to, but distinct from Pathfinder.

What is it?

Lord_Gareth
2013-09-23, 02:06 PM
Pathfinder Society, Paizo's in-house 'living campaign' setup.

mregecko
2013-09-23, 02:06 PM
Recently, I've seen people mention something called PFS. From context, it seems like something related to, but distinct from Pathfinder.

What is it?

Pathfinder Society.

Organized play in a moderated campaign world. There are specific rules in place to try to keep organize play on the level of thousands of participants worldwide manageable.

Similar the Living Greyhawk or Living Forgotten Realms from WotC.

Psyren
2013-09-23, 02:07 PM
Pathfinder Society, i.e. the organized play circuit that gets run at events like conventions. It's similar to WotC's "Living Greyhawk."

Because it is organized play, it has slightly stricter rules and some material from even official sources is banned or altered for use. For example, not all animal companions or feats are available, and some archetypes, PrCs and spells are banned as well.

(Stalkers, stalkers everywhere)

Fouredged Sword
2013-09-23, 02:08 PM
I think it is pathfinder societies, a subset of pathfinder that includes a bunch of regulations that allows for really good rule continuity between DM's. It is used in said pathfinder society organisation to allow for characters to be created at level one and progress through mid levels across multiple DM's and through many story arcs.

The idea is that if you visit New York from south Texas you can carry your character sheet, look up a game, and sit in with a local group without any issues of character approval or any such thing. There is also a system online to set up just such a visit.

Baroncognito
2013-09-23, 02:29 PM
Posthumous Friendship Sisterhood. It's a group of women who collect the skeletons of people who donated their bodies to science and pose them in typical party situations.