PDA

View Full Version : Unicorn Mount

cbaidchris
2013-09-23, 02:32 PM
So I'm working on helping my wife make her next character and she wants to ride a unicorn that's her only desire. are there any ways to make use of this other than paladin maybe? like classes that progress or make use of it?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-09-23, 02:34 PM
The Beloved of Valarian prestige class in Book of Exalted Deeds gives you a permanent unicorn companion at its first level.

Frosty
2013-09-23, 02:34 PM
Beloved of Valarian prestige class gives a unicorn mount. She has to stay celibate though or the mount leaves her.

Snowbluff
2013-09-23, 02:35 PM
Healers get a unicorn.

There are a few classes that progress Special Mount, anyway. Getting special mount aside from Paladin is a trick.
Leadership may give a unicorn...

Alabenson
2013-09-23, 02:36 PM
A Healer (Minatures Handbook) gains a Unicorn companion at level 8, and a Ranger can take Exalted Companion (Book of Exalted Deeds) at level 15 to pick up a Unicorn for their animal companion.

Malimar
2013-09-23, 02:41 PM
The Dungeon Master's Guide has rules for a unicorn mount for a paladin, at level 6 (page 204-205).

The Healer base class (from Miniatures Handbook) grants a unicorn companion at level 8, but is kind of terrible.

The Exalted Companion feat (from Book of Exalted Deeds) allows a level 7 druid a level 15 ranger to select a unicorn as their animal companion.

Alabenson
2013-09-23, 02:45 PM
The Exalted Companion feat (from Book of Exalted Deeds) allows a level 7 druid to select a unicorn as their animal companion.

Actually, you have to be a Ranger to get a unicorn with Exalted Companion, as you must have the same alignment as your companion. The feat explicitly states that only a Ranger can receive a Blink Dog (LG) or Unicorn (CG) companion because of this.

Malimar
2013-09-23, 02:47 PM
Actually, you have to be a Ranger to get a unicorn with Exalted Companion, as you must have the same alignment as your companion. The feat explicitly states that only a Ranger can receive a Blink Dog (LG) or Unicorn (CG) companion because of this.

...Why so it does. My bad.

Segev
2013-09-23, 02:48 PM
A Unicorn is ECL 8 as a cohort, so somebody level 10 or higher with a Leadership score of at least 10 could have a unicorn cohort. Said cohort could easily serve as a mount, provided the potential rider met any other requirements.

A druid of 7th level or higher can cast Summon Nature's Ally IV to get a unicorn for 1 round per level.

Draconic Cohort allows you to have a dragon-type cohort (and no other benefits of Leadership) while treating the dragon as being 3 levels lower than it actually is for purposes of calculating its legality as a cohort for your character. A custom feat that does the same for a Unicorn would allow a level 7 anybody to have a unicorn cohort.

Tvtyrant
2013-09-23, 02:49 PM
Beloved of Valarian prestige class gives a unicorn mount. She has to stay celibate though or the mount leaves her.

Which brings up possibilities for the most horrifying relationship ever. "We cannot be together or I will leave you."

Segev
2013-09-23, 02:52 PM
Which brings up possibilities for the most horrifying relationship ever. "We cannot be together or I will leave you."

*cough* In a setting I wrote, the evil elven god of night has paladins he takes on specifically to prove to them, the world, and himself that nobody is good and everybody is corrupt and vile and unworthy. The holy steeds he sends his paladins are black unicorns. One of his paladins' oaths is one of celibacy, so they definitely can ride them. (Relevant note: This particular god insists all his paladins be male.) At night, the unicorns turn into beautiful elven women and sleep by their master's sides. They are utterly devoted to him and would do anything he asked.

If he violates his oaths, they are one of many class features that go away.

Malimar
2013-09-23, 02:56 PM

Now I want to make an Awakened Horse Beloved of Valarian, to make that a little less squicky.

Snowbluff
2013-09-23, 03:03 PM
Wait... didn't Supergirl and her horse...?

*ahem* Beastmaster, Complete Adventurer.

Talk about ninjas. It's a good thing I didn't ninja. :smalltongue:

Zombulian
2013-09-23, 03:03 PM
Healer. Healer healer healer. Ubermount Healer builds are kinda nice to me, because your character doesn't just sit on their mount. They sit on their mount... HANDS ABLAZE WITH HEALY MAGIC!

nedz
2013-09-23, 03:04 PM
Cleric with the Animal domain can summon one via SNA, but the spell is not persistable so it's only 1 rd/level.

John Longarrow
2013-09-23, 03:05 PM
For odd fun, and not totally sure if this would work,

Go Druid until you can get a horse animal companion.
Go wizard. Once you can take the feat that allows your animal companion to be your familiar, you can always alter self (share spell with your now Magical Beast horse) and have it turn into a unicorn (4 HD Magic Beast).

I know, only lasts for a short time, but could be fun.

Honest Tiefling
2013-09-23, 03:10 PM
I greatly suggest that if you present the Beloved of Valarian option to your wife/DM, you ah...Leave out the celibacy bit so no one at the table gets creeped out by the virgin-obsessed horse thing.

If the DM allowed for the Wild Cohort feat, would it work with Exalted Companion?

John Longarrow
2013-09-23, 03:19 PM
cbaidchris,
Any chance your wife would prefer to play a unicorn ranger with her swanmay cohort???

ShurikVch
2013-09-23, 03:32 PM
Elf Paladin substitution from Races of the Wild

Fax Celestis
2013-09-23, 03:34 PM
You could fudge Beast Heart Adept (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20070209a&page=4)'s Adaptation line a little bit. A pegasus, one of the allowed options, is 4 HD, CR 3. Meanwhile, a unicorn is...4 HD, CR 3. Technically, the pegasus has LA +2 (cohort) while the unicorn has LA +4 (cohort), but really the pegasus is the stronger option (due to un-magically-assisted flight). You could probably be just fine getting her some entry into BHA (Knight is an interesting choice and has some synergy, but other options include Ranger, Fighter, Barbarian, Incarnate, Warblade...) and letting her have a unicorn as her monstrous companion. Bonus points for letting her get more unicorns so her party-mates can ride on her herd.

An alternative would be 5 levels in wizard (or 6 in sorcerer) and picking up phantom steed (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/phantomSteed.htm), then getting the rest of the entry requirements into Knight Phantom (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20050706a&page=4). The easiest way in here is Wizard 5/Fighter 1, but you could also do something like Aasimar Wizard 5, Sorcerer 6/Paladin 3, or similar. Her phantom steed just has to be "horse-like", and a unicorn is plenty horse-like if you ask me. You could even point her at the Spell Thematics (http://dndtools.eu/feats/players-guide-to-faerun--22/spell-thematics--2714/) feat and make it so her spells are unicorn-themed. Some don't even need to be refluffed! (Melf's unicorn arrow, I'm looking at you) This is a bit more complicated, but probably more rewarding in the long run.

Snowbluff
2013-09-23, 03:38 PM
Oh, btw, Zhentarim Skymage.

Fax Celestis
2013-09-23, 03:40 PM
Oh, btw, Zhentarim Skymage.

Nope, Unicorns don't fly so they don't qualify for Flying Mount.

Snowbluff
2013-09-23, 03:45 PM
Nope, Unicorns don't fly so they don't qualify for Flying Mount.

That's why you make it fly! Winged creature, +2. :smallwink:

ShurikVch
2013-09-23, 03:47 PM
Nope, Unicorns don't fly so they don't qualify for Flying Mount. http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130810032334/mlp/ru/images/e/ed/Twilight_Sparkle_ID_Equestria_Girls.png

Frosty
2013-09-23, 03:48 PM
Err...actually, based on how you read the exact wording of the class, the unicorn mount is the ONLY thing the character can be intimate with and still keep her mount. Can someone repost the exact wording here?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-09-23, 03:51 PM
I greatly suggest that if you present the Beloved of Valarian option to your wife/DM, you ah...Leave out the celibacy bit so no one at the table gets creeped out by the virgin-obsessed horse thing.

It's traditional:
"In the Middle Ages and Renaissance, it was commonly described as an extremely wild woodland creature, a symbol of purity and grace, which could only be captured by a virgin. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicorn)"

Err...actually, based on how you read the exact wording of the class, the unicorn mount is the ONLY thing the character can be intimate with and still keep her mount. Can someone repost the exact wording here?

The class makes absolutely no mention of anything of the sort. It requires the Vow of Chastity feat, which prohibits the character from making sexual contact with any creature whatsoever, and the prestige class makes no exceptions to this.

Snowbluff
2013-09-23, 03:55 PM
*snip*
Luna is best princess.http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130316195010/my-little-pony-fan-labor/es/images/thumb/6/67/Luna_Eye.jpg/500px-Luna_Eye.jpg

It's traditional:
"In the Middle Ages and Renaissance, it was commonly described as an extremely wild woodland creature, a symbol of purity and grace, which could only be captured by a virgin. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicorn)"
Indeed it is. I remember from Medieval to Renascence Art, or all things.:smalltongue:

Frosty
2013-09-23, 04:06 PM
The class makes absolutely no mention of anything of the sort. It requires the Vow of Chastity feat, which prohibits the character from making sexual contact with any creature whatsoever, and the prestige class makes no exceptions to this.
Years ago (like 6 or 7 ago) I made a good argument on the WoTC boards to the contrary. I can't find it anymore though, and I am AFB so I can't try to show my logic. I remember it had something to do with the word 'mortal' or 'mortal lover'

ShurikVch
2013-09-23, 04:21 PM
Luna is best princess.

Indeed, Luna is magnificent, but thread is about unicorn mount.
Spike rode Twilight a few times. Who rode Luna in-canon? :smallsmile:

Snowbluff
2013-09-23, 04:23 PM
Indeed, Luna is magnificent, but thread is about unicorn mount.
Spike rode Twilight a few times. Who rode Luna in-canon? :smallsmile:

The moon.

And I remember Spike being promptly dismissed on several occasions, when he got uppity.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-09-23, 04:34 PM
Years ago (like 6 or 7 ago) I made a good argument on the WoTC boards to the contrary. I can't find it anymore though, and I am AFB so I can't try to show my logic. I remember it had something to do with the word 'mortal' or 'mortal lover'

I just used the search function in my pdf copy of BoED, the word 'lover' only appears once, on page 25 in the deity Lastai's description.

The word 'mortal' appears twice in the flavor text of the class, implying that a member of the class is prohibited from an intimate relationship with mortal creatures. However, there is nothing in the rules text of the class indicating that the prohibition contained in Vow of Chastity is in any way overridden. A Beloved of Valarian who makes sexual contact with any creature whatsoever will still lose their Vow of Chastity feat, and thus lose access to the prestige class and all of its features, including the unicorn companion.

nedz
2013-09-23, 04:40 PM
The word 'mortal' appears twice in the flavor text of the class, implying that a member of the class is prohibited from an intimate relationship with mortal creatures. However, there is nothing in the rules text of the class indicating that the prohibition contained in Vow of Chastity is in any way overridden. A Beloved of Valarian who makes sexual contact with any creature whatsoever will still lose their Vow of Chastity feat, and thus lose access to the prestige class and all of its features, including the unicorn companion.

O wow, a Schrödinger's Unicorn.

Honest Tiefling
2013-09-23, 04:41 PM
It's traditional:

I am not debating this, I just think it's pretty creepy. "You had sex? I don't love you anymore!" from a horse-thing is uh...Yeah.

Cruiser1
2013-09-23, 04:55 PM
she wants to ride a unicorn that's her only desire. are there any ways to make use of this other than paladin maybe?
Easiest way: Just cast the level 6 Sanctified spell Valiant Steed (BoED), which calls a Unicorn (or Pegasus, if you prefer) which serves you for a year. Any non-evil prepared caster class (e.g. Cleric, Druid, or Wizard) can cast this at level 11. Other classes can cast it as well from a scroll or UMD check.

This gives you a virtually permanent Unicorn, which can be used as a mount, can be immediately replaced if killed (or after a year passes) by casting the spell again, doesn't require celibacy or any other fluff, and most importantly doesn't interfere with your character build.

Frosty
2013-09-23, 04:59 PM
I just used the search function in my pdf copy of BoED, the word 'lover' only appears once, on page 25 in the deity Lastai's description.

Yeah. I'm going off the flavor text basically, mostly because it produced a more hilarious reading of the rules.

John Longarrow
2013-09-23, 05:14 PM
Easiest way: Just cast the level 6 Sanctified spell Valiant Steed (BoED), which calls a Unicorn (or Pegasus, if you prefer) which serves you for a year. Any non-evil prepared caster class (e.g. Cleric, Druid, or Wizard) can cast this at level 11. Other classes can cast it as well from a scroll or UMD check.

Very good idea. 1,650 for the scroll. Odds are if they know you are doing something like this you can get some other goodies to buff a UMD to make sure you pass. Just need to dip into UMD first. It is a DC 31 check.

Alternately if she plays a good caster, it would only be a DC 12 caster check.

Segev
2013-09-23, 05:16 PM
In threads about the War Hulk, some people argue that the fact that Ur Priests clearly shouldn't lose their class features just for gaining the class-granted divine spellcasting (and Ur Priests have a prereq of not being divine spellcasters), losing your prerequisites for a PrC only shuts down C.Warrior PrCs, not all PrCs. (C.Warrior says it does in that book; it is not "clear" that it applies to PrCs outside that book.)

If you go with that interpretation, losing the benefits of Vow of Chastity after you gain levels in the PrC that requires it would not cost you the PrC's class features.

(I, personally, prefer to read it as an implicit exception for things like Ur Priest which grant things that would otherwise invalidate entry into the PrC, because it makes for more interesting things one can do while also shutting down the greater portion of cheese that would otherwise be available. But I felt the need to point out the contrary argument as it applies here.)

herrhauptmann
2013-09-23, 05:54 PM
If you go Beloved of Valerian, remember that the unicorn will be a very squishy creature. Low HP, AC, Saves, particularly compared to say a level 12 party. The mount could easily die in a single round if the player isn't careful.

Q:
Why is everyone discussing the unicorn having an intimate (sexual?) relationship with the rider? I know BoV requires vow of chastity, but does it matter? How often does sex come up in everyone elses games without making one or more players feel uncomfortable?

John Longarrow
2013-09-23, 05:57 PM
Q:
Why is everyone discussing the unicorn having an intimate (sexual?) relationship with the rider? I know BoV requires vow of chastity, but does it matter? How often does sex come up in everyone elses games without making one or more players feel uncomfortable?

Isn't this the 3.5 Hentai thread???

In all seriousness, familiar + cohort may be the most survivable way to go.

Tvtyrant
2013-09-23, 07:03 PM
How often does sex come up in everyone elses games without making one or more players feel uncomfortable?

Constantly. I am the DM and I am actually the one who gets embarrassed most easily.

nedz
2013-09-23, 07:49 PM
How often does sex come up in everyone elses games without making one or more players feel uncomfortable?

I have no idea. How do you propose finding out ?

herrhauptmann
2013-09-23, 09:58 PM
I have no idea. How do you propose finding out ?
Normally I assume 'no' to sex and sexual content. If people start going in that direction, I ask them their opinions and boundaries. And ask them to speak up if they start to feel awkward.
It's better to ask 'greasy steve' to stop or limit his sexual RP, than it is to lose any players who might be more straightlaced or shy. (whatever their reasons)

Constantly. I am the DM and I am actually the one who gets embarrassed most easily.
I'm very sorry for that.

Deca4531
2013-09-24, 08:59 AM
*cough* In a setting I wrote, the evil elven god of night has paladins he takes on specifically to prove to them, the world, and himself that nobody is good and everybody is corrupt and vile and unworthy. The holy steeds he sends his paladins are black unicorns. One of his paladins' oaths is one of celibacy, so they definitely can ride them. (Relevant note: This particular god insists all his paladins be male.) At night, the unicorns turn into beautiful elven women and sleep by their master's sides. They are utterly devoted to him and would do anything he asked.

If he violates his oaths, they are one of many class features that go away.

Can you give a source on this, it might make for an interesting home brew class if there isn't an official class for it.

Thurbane
2013-09-24, 09:13 AM
If you want your player not to be tied in to any specific class or PrC, any good aligned elven or human maiden can gain one as a cohort using the normal Leadership rules (although not until about level 10).

Segev
2013-09-24, 09:32 AM
Can you give a source on this, it might make for an interesting home brew class if there isn't an official class for it.

It's something I created, and never nailed down the class in a fully satisfactory way. It winds up being a beefed-up cleric with a fighter/paladin chassis and a few extra perks. It was for a gestalt setting, so the power level would need to be calibrated appropriately for whatever setting you wound up using it in. Please do have fun with it if you want to homebrew something.

Snowbluff
2013-09-24, 10:04 AM
Normally I assume 'no' to sex and sexual content. If people start going in that direction, I ask them their opinions and boundaries. And ask them to speak up if they start to feel awkward.
It's better to ask 'greasy steve' to stop or limit his sexual RP, than it is to lose any players who might be more straightlaced or shy. (whatever their reasons)
Yeah, I've had a few... "greasy steves." A gnoll with 12 Cha couldn't escape. *Shudders*

Then there that was that time I let him run a game. *double shudder*

Frosty
2013-09-24, 11:58 AM
What happened with that gnoll?

Deca4531
2013-09-24, 12:00 PM

years of therapy im sure.

Fax Celestis
2013-09-24, 12:00 PM

Well, you see, when a unicorn and a gnoll love each other very much...

John Longarrow
2013-09-24, 12:09 PM
Fax Celestis

That only applies if its a grassy gnoll.. Then the unicorn is just after a good meal. :smallcool:

Fax Celestis
2013-09-24, 12:11 PM
Fax Celestis

That only applies if its a grassy gnoll.. Then the unicorn is just after a good meal. :smallcool:

Well done, sir.

I also see you are in the Sacramento area. Norcal gamers unite!

Frosty
2013-09-24, 12:16 PM
Go Norcal! I live in the Bay Area.

Fax Celestis
2013-09-24, 01:07 PM
We should do a meetup. Someone start a thread.

Deca4531
2013-09-24, 01:14 PM
We should do a meetup. Someone start a thread.

where do you start a thread for something like that?

John Longarrow
2013-09-24, 01:51 PM
Unfortunatly I'm in the military and I'll be out of the area for about a year. I will be back next September though!

Honest Tiefling
2013-09-24, 02:03 PM

Whooooo! Go California. Also, did we ever find a method of getting a unicorn that was satisfactory?

Fax Celestis
2013-09-24, 02:18 PM
Whooooo! Go California. Also, did we ever find a method of getting a unicorn that was satisfactory?

Several. Beloved of Valarian, Beast Heart Adept, Wild Cohort, Special Mount, other things.

Frosty
2013-09-24, 02:25 PM
We should meetup, but I'm always so busy with work...but at least I work in Walnut Creek, so it's not TOO far away I guess :smallsmile:

ericp65
2013-09-25, 10:07 PM

Grew up there!

I'm stuck in the Sacramento area for a while. Haven't seen the Bay Area in eleven years.