PDA

View Full Version : Making Civ V multiplayer work

Studoku
2013-09-23, 02:44 PM
My friends and I enjoy paying Civ V multiplayer. Unfortunately, after 3 years, 2 expansions and at least 4 patches designed to make multiplayer work, it's still lousy at best. If we try to load a game, the crashes and disconnects make it impossible to get more than a couple of turns every hour.

We've tried using Evolve on advice of a few forum posts. It took ages to set up, hogs my CPU, increases lag even more and adds another layer of disconnects. It also does nothing to improve any of the problems.

We're not willing to use GMR. We're not going to slow a 6 player game to a crawl just because someone at Firaxis has a phobia of the client-server model.

Are there any other workarounds which can avoid the lazy network architecture and non-existant support of Steam/Pitboss? Alternatively, does anyone know why a turn based strategy game produced by a gaming giant is apparently incompatible with multiplayer features which Minecraft has no problems with?

Seatbelt
2013-09-23, 02:49 PM
I've finished at least a dozen multiplayer games of Civ with 3 people. But we find that after we add in that fourth person it starts to break down if people don't have perfect connections and good computers. Forget about 5 people in the modern era.

Thats my experience anyway.