PDA

View Full Version : [IC] Dark Dungeons

nazgulnine
2013-09-23, 03:25 PM
OOC (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=304881)

Whether led by the pursuit of wealth, knowledge, or simply the feel of the wind at your back, you set out from your places of origin aboard the merchant sloop Lady of Fairwind. With some unforeseen trouble with the Saltmarsh lighthouse, you managed to survive the inevitable shipwreck that brought you to your current port and solved the mystery of the lighthouse, freeing the captive light keeper from his reptilian captives.

Word travels quickly in a village the size of Saltmarsh, and when crossing the town border, your group was stopped by a robed Baklunish woman bearing a request from the town's sheriff.
"He requests you meet him in his favorite pub. It is called Nick's and should not be difficult to find. Have a good morning!" With a turn, she's gone as swiftly as she arrived.

As dawn breaks and you approach, you see the town is a sprawl of closely-packed thatched-roof buildings along the hillside, illuminated on the eastern ends a gentle pumpkin hue. To the east a gently-rising cliff breaks the town's northern district from it's dock-end. The streets of the town are already busy with the hustle and bustle of people going about their normal, everyday lives.

Lt. Tibbles
2013-09-23, 06:29 PM
Horlan tried his best to tidy himself up as the walked along the road, brushing the dust off his clothes, trying to get his frizzled orange hair in to stay down and in place, and giving his symbol of St. Cuthbert a once over polish.

"We haven't been in this town for 2 minutes and already the Sheriff wants to meet with us, what do you guys think it could be about?"

Yuki Akuma
2013-09-23, 06:47 PM
Jennifer walked along with her arms behind her head, the head of her staff poking out from the top of her backpack. She grinned a little bit at Horlan. "Maybe he's going to give us a commendation for helping the lighthouse keeper. Or maybe we did something illegal. Who knows?"

Otep
2013-09-23, 07:03 PM
William trailed behind the party in his typical fashion.

"Its either that or hes the welcoming party for this tiny little town.... or perhaps this is one of the places rumored to require permits for walking around with weapons...."

D.KnightSpider
2013-09-23, 08:23 PM
The appearance of the strange woman immediately pulled Ellen free of her private thoughts and arrested her attention. She turned the sherrif's request over in her mind, attempting to make sense of it.

"One would think," She suggested quietly and hesitantly. "that any illegal actions on our part would warrant the sheriff's personal attention and presence. Perhaps he only wishes to warn us about causing trouble.

ArcturusV
2013-09-24, 02:39 AM
"PSSH!" Jaric dismissed their little petty worries with a large sweep of his hand. "Hell, we're ****in' heroes. Or at least what probably passes for some in this little bog of a berg! Probably got enough ale on tap ready to celebrate us to put an entire legion of elves on their asses!"

Jaric laughed at that image, shaking his head. "... at the very least I know I could use a good stiff drink after all those days on that vile crate you beanpoles call a 'ship'! More like a leeky coffin that reeks of week old fish!"

Jaric spat at the ground, "Come on!" he stepped lively out ahead of the group, "Ain't no fun ever had sittin' around frettin' 'bout maybees!"

Elbeyon
2013-09-24, 08:06 AM
Strongman Bruno gives a one syllable ha, "Jaric is reit. Thaur is nae reason tae fash yerse. Lit us gang gie some ay uir ale. Celebrate uir victory ower th' lighthoose an' tak' in some ay th' weel earned glory till we need tae barnie again."

Otep
2013-09-25, 12:03 PM
"You know Bruno, even after the time we've spent together I still feel like I need a translator when ever you speak...."

William smiled jokingly at Strongman Bruno.

Elbeyon
2013-09-25, 12:43 PM
While William smiles Strongman Bruno let's out a hearty laugh. Obviously in a good and lively mood his tone displays signs of familiarity and comradery, "Sairrr! 'At is Strongman Bruno. Ah hae earned mah title an' it deserves tae be annoonced jist as onie other worthy bit. Lit us gie it th' respect it deserves an' ye wulnae be disrespectin' me." He gives his friend an overlly zealous pat on the back, "Noo, lit us gang gie some drinks if we ur gonnae be fightin'. Ale aye livens th' fightin' An', Ah ken mah accent is a wee thick. If ye arenae sure ask!"

Yuki Akuma
2013-09-25, 12:44 PM
"I think," Jennifer said, after a while. "'Fash yourself', in this context, means 'worry'. So he's telling us not to worry." She frowned in thought for a moment, then grinned. "Alright, c'mon. Let's go to the tavern already."

And with that, the young mage began to head for the tavern.

D.KnightSpider
2013-09-25, 03:32 PM
"I think its a nice accent." Ellen said, albeit not at any discernable volume.

She didn't dare say much more than that, however, for fear of rocking this newfound boat. No, it was better to just go along to get along right now.

Lt. Tibbles
2013-09-26, 02:14 AM
"Aye let's not keep the Sheriff waiting anymore than he has to, besides I could use a drink we've been on this road for far too long.

Horlan put tried his best to put a spring in his step eager to get into a chair with a refreshing drink in hand.

"Also Strongman Bruno I enjoy your accent, I honestly couldn't imagine you without."

The Cleric offered a friendly smile and a pat on the back to Bruno.

ArcturusV
2013-09-26, 04:30 AM
"Bah. I'm sure it'll make more sense once I got a few fine brews in me," Jaric offered on the whole 'accent' issue. He bounded down the street, skipping along, singing loud and proud as he started looking for this tavern and the Sheriff to celebrate their deeds.

Gather thee dwarves, there’s cause for a bash
Tap all caskets and find us your stash
Who calls the round? Whose wallet is heavy?
How many pints can this tummy here levy?

Beer, cider, spirits and ales
Listen to the drunk dwarf tell his tall tales
Loosen your belts, cups in the air
The liquor flows free and the barrels won’t care

And all call:
O, ho, finish in one
Down, down
Until it’s all gone!

Hoorah!

He belted it out, singing, badly, but proud and not seeming to care about whatever strange looks he might have gotten.

nazgulnine
2013-09-26, 11:03 PM
The woman was right: the place was easy to find. Nick's Tavern is a two-story building situated at the intersection of five streets, at the base of a hill. Entering, the bar is rather bare save for two men at the bar. Thin in stature and of close-cropped hair is the man in red behind the counter, a grin plastered from ear to ear. The second man seems as though he would be rather dour if not for his jovial expression. His greasy black hair is pulled back, ill-fitting his jaunty, pied clothes.

The man behind the bar looks over and calls the lot of you over.
"Welcome to Nick's! Take a seat anywhere you like."

The grease-haired man holds his glass of wine and turns, beckoning you all closer.
"You lot wouldn't happen to be the ones what fixed that little issue down at the light tower, would you?" He pauses a moment, looking you up and down. "Of course you are~. Just as they said. Come, come. Have some breakfast. What're you up for? Nicky here's got some menus lying around. Oh, where are my manners, goodness gracious me. Name's Edduard. Officially titled His Right Honourable Edduard Du Pontiere, Viscount of Salinmoor, but you can just call me Reeve Edduard." Ed performs a slight bow and returns to his glass, taking a taste. At the suggestion of breakfast, red-garbed Nick turns and tends to something delicious you've smelt since entering; the smell of fresh pork and spices. "I'd like to extend my thanks to you all on the behalf of the people of Saltmarsh. But that isn't why you've been asked to come speak with me, no... I have a business proposition for you, if you please."

Yuki Akuma
2013-09-27, 02:29 PM
Jennifer sighed with relief as she removed her backpack, letting it thud rather heavily to the floor. She practically collapsed into the closest chair. "That tent... that tent will come in useful. Eventually. Right? It's going to end up being worth it lugging the damn thing around... right?"

Her face, flushed slightly from exertion, broke into a grin at the mention of the incident at the lighthouse. "Yeah, we're pretty awesome." She then waved a hand vaguely in the bar's direction. "Yeah we're going to want food. And drinks. Lots of them."

She produced her tarot deck, and began to shuffle the silver-lined cards. "What sort of business proposition?"

Lt. Tibbles
2013-09-27, 06:48 PM
The cleric dropped into his seat happy to finally be off his feet. "Ah much better, I'll take a glass of wine thank you, don't worry Jennifer we'll need it one day, and when that time comes we'll be glad you lugged that thing around all this time."

Offering a polite nod to the Sheriff, Horlan straightened himself up. "It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance, we're happy to help in whichever way we can."

D.KnightSpider
2013-09-28, 08:17 AM
Ellen would have preferred a hot bath ahead of a hot meal, but that didn't seem imminently likely. She surveyed the viscount curiously. Never would she have believed that a man of noble blood could look... well... so much like a miscreant. It didn't match the picture of a nobleman that she carried around in her head at all.

The others seemed more at ease talking to the nobleman, so Ellen decided to let them lead. The last thing that she wanted to do was to accidentally offend the man and cost her companions such an important business deal.

She quietly pulled a chair from the table, scooting it out a few extra inches in order to place herself on the outer edge of the ring of conversation. She sat down and held her backpack on her lap in order to shield herself from view and anyone's interest.

Then, Ellen opened her ears and listened carefully.

ArcturusV
2013-09-28, 04:58 PM
Jaric ignored the noble for the moment. Reeve Eddard wasn't his concern. Nope, he bellied up to the bar, slammed his hand down to get the attention of the presumed 'Nick'. "Hope you got somethin' dwarven back there! No sissy elf juice for me!"

He waited for 'Nick' to get him something that would put his weary bones at ease and bring a little fire to his belly. The words of the Reeve barely registered in his mind as he sniffed the air, "... and some of that breakfast!" he added to Nick. He grinned slightly, looking over at the nobleman, "You're pickin' up the tab for this one, right? Reward for makin' sure all your boat don't run afoul of the rocks."

nazgulnine
2013-09-28, 05:00 PM
Edduard flutters a hand at Jennifer.
"My dear, that looks heavy. Surely one of these strapping boys could be deigned to carry that in your stead?" Replacing his drink on the counter, the viscount adjusts in his seat and gives you all another glance-over. Addressing Horlan, he flutters his hand in the same foppish manner.

"Please, my dear boy, you're doing me too much flattery and I don't at all think it's befitting of this time and place. Please, let's just get onto the proposition at hand. While we appreciate what you've done for us in regards to the Halftooth Tribe and our esteemed mister O'Flannigan, there's a situation of import for which I've been unable to find a group willing to tackle." He seems rather animated at the idea, and you're able to see Nick mimicking the viscount's animated nature while at the stove, preparing eggs, ham, and something in a rather large pot. The pubmaster places glass mugs of dark ales and blood-red wines, bowls of poached eggs, ham slabs, and steaming oats on the counter, signalling for your group to dig in.

"That smells divine, Nicky. Oh, right, the proposition. Lately, I've been receiving complaints down at the sheriff's hall. Not the 'hey, mister viscount, my neighbor's been making too much noise' kind of complaints or the 'when are the taxes going down' complaints, but the 'hey, my kid went up the hill and hasn't come back in days' kind of complaints. You following?" Edd leans in, his once-jovial expression becoming as dour and serious as would suit the build of his face. "I'll cut to the chase. We have on our town acreage a mansion. No doubt you probably saw it on the local clifftop as you came down here. Town records state it belongs to an alchemist. Problem is, there aren't any payments coming down, no one ever sees anyone go in, but the windows glow with light in the evenings and the pimple-poppers that go up there to play hidey-hole or whatever they're doing in there don't come down. Neither do the ones I've sent up there to find 'em. These local 'adventurers' and 'problem solvers' either claim we aren't offering enough coin, or that it's a Keolandan problem and should be handled by the militia. Problem is, I've got the militia stretched thin as it is, what with the marsh brigands trying to 'expand territory' all over my town. That's where you come in. Prove to me that the spirit of wandering adventurers isn't dead. Find an explanation for whatever's going on up in that house, bring the townsfolk back, and I'll see to a reward that suits the answer for what you've found. You in, or out?"

Lt. Tibbles
2013-09-28, 07:29 PM
Horlan grabbed a plate taking some meat, bread and a slice of cheese, thanking Nick he took a sip from his wine and listened to the Sheriff's proposition.

"I'm sure we could look into the matter after a proper nights rest, but these people who've been disapearing in the woods, how long has this business been going on?

Yuki Akuma
2013-09-28, 07:34 PM
Jennifer practically tore into the food. Hey, she's still growing! She needs protein! She also took an experimental sip of wine, and cringed... before knocking back the entire glass in one go.

She coughed a bit. "An... alchemist?" She seemed fairly interested all of a sudden. "An... an alchemist would probably have a laboratory. And... a library..."

She looked around the table. Oh, she definitely wanted to go. Definitely. "...Er. And, you know, missing people, very bad. Et cetera."

nazgulnine
2013-09-28, 07:55 PM
Ed takes a rather long gulp, finishing his wine. Placing the glass on the counter and rapping his knuckles once, Nick refills it from a jade bottle.
"Six weeks. Perhaps longer. First, it began with the miller's boy and the baker's daughter. Who'd have guessed? Soon, it was the bowyer's kid, then some seamster's. On and on; I think there must be..."
"Nine missing, Reeve," Nick interrupts.
"Right, nine in all. Should you accept, you have a maximum of one week, which I suggest you spend in the mansion. That should give you enough time to both examine the grounds and peruse any periodicals you come across."

D.KnightSpider
2013-09-28, 08:55 PM
The arrival of breakfast forced Ellen to abandon the protection of her pack in favor of the protection of her plate. She picked her dish up from the counter, returned to her seat, and ate balancing the plate in one hand. This was all so that she could remain somewhat hidden behind her other party members, of course.

The viscount's news quickly took her appetite. Those poor children. If the alchemist on the hill had lost his mind or was evil, then there was no telling what he could have done to them. Magic and science could be such wretched things.

No. Ellen shook her head ever so slightly. One must never assume the worst of people. A judgment made in haste was a judgment built on flaws. She knew better than this.

"Um, Excuse me, but, what-- what happens at the end of that week?" She asked whilst attempting to get a better understanding of the viscount's character.

Hope I'm doing this right.

Ellen makes a Sense Motive check
[roll0]

nazgulnine
2013-09-28, 09:06 PM
Ed takes another sip of his wine and shrugs his shoulders in response to the question, attempting to strain a smile.
"If after one week's passed and I've received no word, I'll assume the worst and hire someone else. Please be aware, however, that I will not be offering hazard pay for your extended stay, so it's in your best interest to solve this little mystery as quickly as possible. Our mister Dunhill was a man of questionable repute, and I would rather have you back by morning, if at all, but I am placing a great deal of faith in your hands."

Sense Motive result (http://youtu.be/mkGyY1b_ljM?t=7s)

Ed is stone-faced and serious; the joking, foppish man from before has left the building, and you're sitting in front of a real politician.

ArcturusV
2013-09-28, 11:45 PM
Jaric ripped into a piece of pork, foregoing utensils to rip with his teeth and pull with his mailed hand, chewing slowly, and loudly, washing down part of his breakfast with a long pull of the dark ale. Not exactly fine dwarven quality, but he supposed it was the best that mere humans could do in the middle of an infested swamp and beset by bilge rats.

He belched, quite loudly, wiping a bit of pork juices from his lips with the back of his arm. He looked over at Eddard, his head weaving slightly, one eyebrow cocked at the man as he went on to his tale about woe and betrayal and alchemists killing teenagers out for a bit of the in out, in out, like some bad campfire story.

"I gots one question for ya lad," he said in a dire, serious, deep tone, "... you gonna stop us from layin' claim to whatever is in that rickety old house after we put an axe in someone's skull and go save your little kiddies?"

He smiled a bit, and settled back away from Eddard, "Stoneaxe Manor of Saltmarsh... has a nice ring to it, don't ya think? Lettin' a few heroes claim a proper reward like that, savin' your town, becomin' rich, prominent citizens? Sounds like a good deal to me. 'sides... sounds like you ain't gettin' much outta that place anyway other than Ghost Stories. And I could use a place to stash my many future treasures. Well, til I get back to the Homeland."

He hiccuped slightly, and went back to his breakfast with some fairly uncouth, by human standards, table manners.

nazgulnine
2013-09-29, 12:15 AM
Edduard half-smiles, twirling his glass between his fingers.
"Perhaps not. It all depends on the state of affairs after the work is done."

Lt. Tibbles
2013-09-29, 02:47 AM
The cleric looked around at everyone they all seemed to be interested in taking the job and he himself wanted to see if those missing people could still be saved.

"Alright well it looks like you've got yourself some adventurer's, before we go marching into the woods what can you tell us about the area? Also do you have any information on the Alchemist's Mansion even if it's just hear-say or urban legends."

nazgulnine
2013-10-01, 05:53 PM
"Good, a pleasure to have you all aboard. Nicky, be a darling and fetch them a map of Saltmarsh? Thank you. Now, back to the task on hand: you want information on the house. As I said, it is the property of a local alchemist of ill-repute, Oskar Andrigal. Mister Andrigal was once a prominent adventurer, but had a penchant for dabbling in the darker arts. The local villagefolk claim keeps some of the children as spell components, uses others as ghastly servants in his home, and worse. Doesn't matter if I believe it, I just want the rumors to end and the man's wealth accounted for, as he does owe several outstanding fines. Ah, thank you Nicky." The Viscount hands over a freshly-printed scroll to Horlan. "Here's a lay of the town. I trust you'll find everything you need within; well, on your way and a fond thank-you from the people of Saltmarsh!"

After finishing breakfast, you're somewhat pushed out of the tavern by the now-joyous viscount and pointed in the direction of the eastern cliff. After restocking on supplies, you end up hitching a ride on a local farmer's wagon. At high noon, you arrive at the base of a dirt road leading up a hill when he bids you farewell and good luck. At the apex is an enormous, sea-stained, weatherbeaten home surrounded by a cobblestone wall missing sections in places here and there. The tiled roof of the mansion missing patches and the windows that haven't been boarded up are missing sections of glass.
http://i.imgur.com/iz1MLAF.jpg

Marching order and actions, please.

Lt. Tibbles
2013-10-02, 10:12 PM
Horlan observed the old mansion trying to take his best guess at what the group would find inside. It unnerved him a bit, the thought of the unknown but once inside and he had a better handle on things he was sure the feeling would pass.

"Well now how do you want to approach this guys, think we can just walk right up and knock on the front door?"

Yuki Akuma
2013-10-03, 05:44 AM
Jennifer shrugged her shoulders at Horlan's suggestion. "Why not? Hey, if someone answers, that makes this much easier. If not... I'm sure our resident Strongman can break a simple door."

D.KnightSpider
2013-10-03, 06:58 PM
Ellen swallowed nervously.

"I, um, would recommend that we at least try to be, uh, civil. After-- after all, if the alchemist has the children captive then, ah, breaking down the door might make things, well, unpleasant for them."

She paused. That had been the longest speech that she could remember making. But it had to be said. She looked quickly around the group. Since no one seemed upset, she felt reasonably at ease with her words.

Yuki Akuma
2013-10-11, 05:56 AM
After standing around waiting for someone else to take the initiative, Jennifer reached forward to rap smartly on the door with the head of her staff.

nazgulnine
2013-10-15, 09:55 PM
Upon rapping the door, it slowly creaks open, the wisp of a sigh escaping the domicile. Within, you see the lights in the main hallway are out, but a faint orange glow emanates from the second story, providing enough illumination to make out a grand atrium and set of stairs.

Taking point, Bruno leads the group into the hall, where you are able to gain a better view of the inside by candlelight. You've entered into a musty, dirty entrance hall. To your left, a corridor leads down the west wing of the house. On either side of this corridor the walls are bare but for some pieces of wood in the corner near a dust-screened window, indicating a small wooden table or chair once stood there. Ahead of you, another darkened corridor seems to lead toward the rear rooms of the house. To your right, a carpet-covered staircase climbs to the next story, reaching it at a balcony which overlooks the hall along its north and west sides. At a glance, the stairs appear safe to climb, though the balcony rail is broken in several places. At the eastern end of the room, beneath the stairs, a pair of heavy oaken doors stand, bearing ornate carving.

Here and there are a few knickknacks, things that wouldn't go missing, but would barely fetch a price. An upholstered couch beside the doors appears to be sunken and worn, but with display of recent use.

D.KnightSpider
2013-10-17, 05:25 AM
"I suppose that this doesn't constitute breaking and entering if the mayor gave us his blessing." Ellen whispered quietly.

She followed Strongman Bruno into the main hall. It's appearance did little to ease the nervousness that she felt. It was all so dilapidated and run down. How could someone care so little about their lodgings to let them fall into such disrepair?

Ellen took a deep breath and then forced her gvoice to an audible volume. "I think-- Um-- Tradition says that one, well, should keep prisoners at a building's, er, lowest point. Perhaps we should, um, look for a basement... or somesuch?

The fact that she did not like the look of that staircase also factored heavily into that decision.

Yuki Akuma
2013-10-21, 05:49 AM
Jenna crosses her arms, and hmms a bit. "...On the other hand, we might be able to gather more intelligence if we check upstairs, first. After all, if they're keeping the prisoners in the basement, most of the guards are likely down there too..."

D.KnightSpider
2013-10-21, 09:20 PM
"Yes, um, that makes sense." Ellen bowed to Jenna's wisdom. "Perhaps, we, um, we can find some clue as t-to what is transpiring here."

After a moment's thought, Ellen realized that, since they had no real destination, one direction was just as good as another. She turned and approached the stairs, warily.