View Full Version : Magus stat allocation help

Dusk Eclipse
2013-09-23, 05:05 PM
I am working up on a Half Elf Bladebound Hexcrafter Magus for Curse of the Crimson throne, but I'm having trouble deciding on my stat allocation, since going dex is slightly less MAD for magus I'm using the Ancestral Arm variant racial trait to pick up Spinning sword (SoS, the only 3.5 stuff allowed) which is essentially a 1 handed finesse-able spiked chain; I was planning to pick up Piranha strike to off-set the lack of Dex to damage while using my spinning sword but it doesn't work with Piranha strike forcing me to pick up Power Attack, the problem is that I am not sure what would be better for my stats.

Edit: I know about Dervish Dance and how useful it is for dex-mag, but I don't want to use it because it doesn't mesh with my mental image of the character and yes I know refluffing exists, but since there are mechanical parts that doesn't fit (the Dance requirement) I won't use it.

Should I go
Strength 12 (increased to 13 at 4th level to pick Power Attack at 5th)
Dex 16 (14 base +2 Half-Elf)
Con 14
Int 16
Wis 10
Cha 8
Pro: Not having negative to perception or Will saves
Con: Power Attack comes online late in the game

or

Str 13
Dex 16
Con 14
Int 16
Wis 9
Cha 8.
Pro: Can Pick power attack at level 3
Con: Penalty to Perception and will saves.

Any thoughts on the matter? If I go with the first set would picking elemental spell (cold) for eventual rimefire spell be a good idea?

Keneth
2013-09-23, 05:13 PM
If you're gonna be running a hexcrafter, what exactly is the point in having Power Attack in the first place? The small amount of damage gained in exchange for the attack bonus which you actually need as a magus is not the best option. If you're gonna ignore Dervish Dancing, and won't go all out on your hexes/spells, you'd be better off going full Strength then, and ignore Dex and Finesse.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-09-23, 05:20 PM
Why exactly should I skip Power attack as a hexcrafter? I am not really familiar with PF and just going with stuff that looks cool and/or interesting.

I'm planning on using my hexes on utility stuff like Flight, Prehensile Hair and maybe Slumber (Cause it is just that good).

Keneth
2013-09-23, 05:35 PM
People usually take hexcrafter for the offensive hexes. Those generally take up a good portion of your actions (meaning you're attacking less), and you also need to focus on your Int score to be effective with them. Also, taking Power Attack with a low Str score and on a medium BAB class is kinda ridiculous, you'll just end up not being able to hit things. Since you won't really be capitalizing on your Dex score, and a magus gets increasing armor proficiencies, you'd be better off investing more heavily into Str to get some extra damage, offset the attack penalty of Power Attack, and leaving Dex on 13.

Plus, using Power Attack and Weapon Finesse in conjunction just sounds silly.

Snowbluff
2013-09-23, 06:49 PM
Yeah, since Magus 1 hand weapons anyway, Arcane Strike would be better.

Dervish Dance is a pretty sweet feat.