PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Character Help

Mercy4Hire
2013-09-23, 05:08 PM
Hello and Good Day All,

So in my current campaign I am in, I had a lvl 4 Dread Necro that got into a bit of trouble in the events that lead me to kill a Knight of the Realm and what not and was forced to become a priest...I took 2 levels in Archivist and currently have quite a bit of stuff happening in a nice little Castle town...I am currently hunting a Vampire and I was wondering if in game perspective I totally screwed over my character in class/levels by what I did. I haven't come close to death as of yet and i have some nasty little treats instore in game. Any and all help is appreiciated.

Immabozo
2013-09-23, 05:14 PM
Well a caster diping a seperate casing progressing class will not "screw you over" but it is not optimum unless its for a reason, like Ultimate Magus or a Theurge class.

Asrrin
2013-09-23, 05:18 PM
Hello and Good Day All,

So in my current campaign I am in, I had a lvl 4 Dread Necro that got into a bit of trouble in the events that lead me to kill a Knight of the Realm and what not and was forced to become a priest...I took 2 levels in Archivist and currently have quite a bit of stuff happening in a nice little Castle town...I am currently hunting a Vampire and I was wondering if in game perspective I totally screwed over my character in class/levels by what I did. I haven't come close to death as of yet and i have some nasty little treats instore in game. Any and all help is appreiciated.

Dread Necro is arcane and Archivist is divine, so if you don't want to totally screw yourself over with 2 dead levels of a divine class you could thuerge it. maybe pay for a psychic reformation to retrain feats and get ealry entry cheese to help you stay competitive in spell level.

Mercy4Hire
2013-09-23, 05:51 PM
I was thinking Mystic Theurge as well, I can shoot you a basic understanding of what happend. I bought a girl for 6 gold from her brother for experiments and what not. Well our party went to a town and a Knight tried to sweep her off her feet and i didn't like it, i asked him politely to stop and he refused (10 lvl knight and me a 4th level DrN) he grabbed me and i goul tocuhed hi mthen Cudegra'd him. was charged with murder of highest degree and made a dirty deal to save myself with a cleric of a church. Aka i multiclassed into the divine nature. For flavor wise I can combine both death and divine magic being NE for alignment and falling in the one step of my God's Alignment atm. Anyways i actually made about 10k gold of a ring of wizardry and now in another castle fort and have a lot of dealings with a few merchants to start up a business. Once i hit 3rd level Archivist i can then at lvl 8 go into Mystic Theurge but I only get the spell caster levels from the classes...i might want to focus in one of the class more and then PrC but i am at a loss... Also what does "psychic reformation" mean and is it a legal play?

Grod_The_Giant
2013-09-23, 06:45 PM
Retraining
Psychic Reformation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/psychicReformation.htm)is a 4th level Psion power from the Expanded Psionics Handbook-- for a relatively small experience cost, you can let the target re-distribute skill points, feats, powers known, and you could probably make a good choice for extending that to spells known. It's absolutely legal, assuming that psionics exist in your setting, and it's hard to argue that this isn't EXACTLY the kind of thing it was written for.

On a similar note, there are two spells from the Fiendish Codex, Embrace the Dark Chaos and Shun the Dark Chaos, that do something similar-- the one lets you trade feats out for tainted feats, and the other lets you trade tainted feats for normal ones. The process is referred to as "dark chaos shuffling."

Or you could use retaining rules from the Player's Handbook II. Those can cover anything up to and including swapping around levels and templates, but tend to require questing.

Theurging
First, the handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=3092).

Basically, you have a two options:

You can take another level of Archivist, grab the Practiced Spellcaster feat for your Dread Necromancer levels, and go straight Mystic Theurge 10. It's not exactly an "optimal" build, but it'll be decent.
Retrain for early entry shennanigans-- that is, getting second level spells without taking three levels away from your "main" caster class. Unfortunately, boosting the divine side will take serious shennanigans-- the Precocious Apprentice feat is the least-dubious way of doing it, but it helps the arcane side. (If you can talk your DM into letting you take it for Archivist, that's your best bet. It should be possible, given how close the Archivist and Wizard are mechanically).

So... yeah. The best course that doesn't involve DM negotiation would be to take another Archivist level and go Mystic Theurge. If your DM will work with you, retraining those levels will serve you well-- maybe take the Arcane Disciple feat to maintain the "dabbled in the divine" flavor.