PDA

View Full Version : Best books for your dollars.

D20ragon
2013-09-23, 06:59 PM
What are the best(in your opinion) D&D supplements?
I'm getting some new ones at some point,so I'd like to know which ones to get/avoid. Thanks!

Grod_The_Giant
2013-09-23, 07:03 PM
Spell Compendium-- a one-stop shop for all the spells. All of them.
Magic Item Compendium-- buckets and buckets of useful, interesting, and reasonably-priced magic items.
Player's Handbook II-- Three good base classes, useful ACFs for a bunch of others, good feats, decent spells, retraining rules, and a section on quick PC/NPC creation.
Tome of Battle-- make melee characters interesting. Includes replacements for the Fighter, Paladin, and Monk.
Magic of Incarnum-- a personal favorite, it includes what is (in my opinion) the coolest magic subsystem in the game.

mattie_p
2013-09-23, 07:03 PM
Are you the DM, a player, or both? What books do you already have? Is there a particular setting you prefer?

Your question is like asking "What is the best class to play?" without describing the makeup of your party and the starting ECL.

D20ragon
2013-09-23, 07:09 PM
I both Dm and play,though mostly Dm.
My friend and I between us have:oriental adventures,heroes of horror,heroes of battle,complete warrior,complete adventurer,unearthed arcana,and the Draconomicon.

JusticeZero
2013-09-23, 07:13 PM
My solution to budget problems was to convert to PF. All the rules, classes, etc at the cost of $0.00. At some point i'll get a few physical books so I can show up at PFS stuff during lean times, I suppose.

lsfreak
2013-09-23, 07:41 PM
PHB2, the second round of Completes (Scoundrel, Mage, Champion), ToB and MoI tend to be the best-balanced of the books. On the other hand, I still reference the first round of Completes (minus CPsi) pretty often for a few good options in them, and if you're more after cool than optimization, they also have more PrCs plus three base classes each in them compared to the later Completes. They also at least feel like less of their pages are taken up with fluffy setting ideas directed at DMs compared with the second round of Completes, but I'm not sure if that's actually true.

SpC and MIC are primarily collections of stuff in other books (the first Completes, Libris Mortis, some of the Faerun books), but if you don't have those yet or want easy references they're good to have (and they do add their own stuff, especially MIC; I don't recall eternal wands, runestaves or weapon crystals being in other books and they've nice options).

For more monsters, I believe MM3 and MM5 are widely held to be the best of them. MM2 is hilariously imbalanced (and 3.0), MM4 just isn't as good.

I'd avoid the Races books until you've at least got the Completes + ToB + PHB2. Incarnum and Tome of Magic are more optional; I really like them, but they add new subsystems that, unlike ToB, are clear add-ons rather than fixes for earlier mistakes.

Oh, and there's also XPH. While I really like psionics, all the stuff you need to play is in the SRD, so might as well save your money.

If I had to stick with a few things outside Core/SRD, ToB, ToM (binders are just that awesome, even if I already said they were optional), PHB2, MIC, CC, and CM would be my top choices. I've also had all the books so long, though, that I've actually kind of lost track of what's where, so it's possible I'm overlooking where some basic things are that I'd really miss.

Palanan
2013-09-23, 08:42 PM
Originally Posted by lsfreak
...the second round of Completes (Scoundrel, Mage, Champion), ToB and MoI tend to be the best-balanced of the books.

Really? For some reason I thought most people didn't like Complete Champion. At least, I seem to recall reading that it gets banned a lot.

To the OP, I would second the recommendation for Complete Scoundrel in particular. Skill tricks are great.

Originally Posted by lsfreak
I'd avoid the Races books....

And I'd second this, too. There are a few gems scattered here and there (i.e. Arcane Hierophant) but they're almost smothered in thick, cottony layers of How An Elf Spends Her Day and so on. Maybe some people like that, but I find the "day in the life" sections to be completely useless, almost caricatures of what were already tired stereotypes. There's just not enough worthwhile text to make the full book worthwhile, at least for my taste.

Alabenson
2013-09-23, 08:48 PM
Going by the books you already have, my recommendations would be the following;
Players Handbook 2
Tome of Battle
Dungeonscape
Magic Item Compendium
Spell Compendium

Phelix-Mu
2013-09-23, 08:52 PM
As a DM, the terrain series is solid gold, and they aren't too shabby from a player perspective either.

In descending order of quality.

1st- Frostburn/Sandstorm. Pretty much a tie. Sandstorm has some better PrC, but both have excellent environmental rules, a stack of cool spells, and a bunch of setting flavor and adventure hooks.

2nd- Planar Handbook/Manual of the Planes. Strictly speaking, not really the same line as the "x-scape"-ish line, but they are thematically similar.

3rd- Cityscape/Stormwrack. Less cool, but still tons of interesting stuff for a DM.

4th- Dungeonscape. It has nice traps, and, ofc, Factotum, but the rest of the book was kind of meh. Maybe I just feel that way cause it felt like extreme rehash of 2e stuff that I already knew about.

Anyway, they are all interesting themes to add to any campaign (especially for a story arc that travels to a faraway place).

Invader
2013-09-23, 08:56 PM
Spell Compendium-- aIne-stop shop for all the spells. All of them.
Magic Item Compendium-- buckets and buckets of useful, interesting, and reasonably-priced magic items.
Player's Handbook II-- Three good base classes, useful ACFs for a bunch of others, good feats, decent spells, retraining rules, and a section on quick PC/NPC creation.
Tome of Battle-- make melee characters interesting. Includes replacements for the Fighter, Paladin, and Monk.
Magic of Incarnum-- a personal favorite, it includes what is (in my opinion) the coolest magic subsystem in the game.

I second all of these except for MoI but that's just because I'm not really a big fan not necessarily because it's not worth it in general.

Psyren
2013-09-23, 08:58 PM
And I'd second this, too. There are a few gems scattered here and there (i.e. Arcane Hierophant) but they're almost smothered in thick, cottony layers of How An Elf Spends Her Day and so on. Maybe some people like that, but I find the "day in the life" sections to be completely useless, almost caricatures of what were already tired stereotypes. There's just not enough worthwhile text to make the full book worthwhile, at least for my taste.

While that may be true for Day In The Life Of A Treehugger, I willl say that Races of Destiny and Races of the Dragon are nice reads.

Having said that I wouldn't go after any of these unless they were at a yard sale or something.

My solution to budget problems was to convert to PF. All the rules, classes, etc at the cost of $0.00. At some point i'll get a few physical books so I can show up at PFS stuff during lean times, I suppose.

I too recommend this approach, and you can really see the difference in the art quality too. Bestiary I blows MM1 out of the water for me for instance.

Invader
2013-09-23, 09:00 PM
I'll also add most of the campaign seeing books, Forgotten Realms, Eberron, etc. There's obviously redundant info in them but there's also a ton other stuff that's worth it.

lsfreak
2013-09-23, 09:01 PM
Really? For some reason I thought most people didn't like Complete Champion. At least, I seem to recall reading that it gets banned a lot.

Really? I haven't noticed that, but at a guess, it's because the book has both Travel Devotion and the Lion Totem barb for pouncing. But there's a reason they're in here, WotC finally realized Melee Can't Have Nice Things doesn't work.

Besides those two, though, there's a ton of other stuff that's well-balanced even if you take free movement to be too much. It's much, MUCH less scattered than the earlier Completes, where you get Shock Trooper and Samurai in the same book.

Phelix-Mu
2013-09-23, 09:06 PM
Oh, I forgot to mention the Underdark book for Forgotten Realms. Even though some of it is clearly Realms specific, it's very easy to file off those serial numbers, leaving behind a crazy ton of useful stuff. Also, pleasantly more broad than Drow of the Underdark, the other major sourcebook for the Underdark.

Palanan
2013-09-23, 09:12 PM
Originally Posted by Psyren
While that may be true for Day In The Life Of A Treehugger, I willl say that Races of Destiny and Races of the Dragon are nice reads.

Depends on your tastes, I suppose. I glanced through the kobold's day and wasn't impressed. But then, I have an almost instinctive need to write my own stuff.

Also, on the Races books in general, things like the Illumians and the Goliaths just didn't catch my interest, for whatever reason. And some races, like the Killoren, are potentially interesting but too sparse on the details. Feast or famine, and I just want a nice snack.

Originally Posted by Phelix-Mu
As a DM, the terrain series is solid gold.... In descending order of quality: 1st- Frostburn/Sandstorm.

I'm not a big fan of the terrain books (don't, don't get me started about Stormwrack) but I have to agree that out of all of them, Frostburn is probably the best. I really like some of the spells, and there's enough else in there to keep me interested.

Originally Posted by Phelix-Mu
Oh, I forgot to mention the Underdark book for Forgotten Realms.

Definitely grab this one if you can. In a similar vein, Unapproachable East has some cool stuff too, although it's 3.0.

Tvtyrant
2013-09-23, 09:16 PM
Lords of Madness
Book of Vile Darkness
Fiendish Codexes

evisiron
2013-09-23, 09:19 PM
As a DM, the book Libris Mortis has been used more often than any other I own. I love undead and the monsters in there are great, the grafts have been used repeatedly and it has enough info run undead characters pretty darn well.

Palanan
2013-09-23, 09:20 PM
Lords of Madness is triple-distilled awesome for DMs, but not sure how useful it is for players.

Uhtred
2013-09-23, 09:29 PM
The Dragon Compendium puts the best cheese right at your fingertips. Bloodline feats, Urban Druids, a host of exotic weapons and classes, plus the Force Missile Mage (one of the most underrated PrC's, IMHO) makes it worth my while to own. :)

lsfreak
2013-09-23, 09:36 PM
The Dragon Compendium puts the best cheese right at your fingertips. Bloodline feats, Urban Druids, a host of exotic weapons and classes, plus the Force Missile Mage (one of the most underrated PrC's, IMHO) makes it worth my while to own. :)

Just a note, the reason why it might be so "underrated" is that it's not 1st party material. Like some of the Dragonlance and Warcraft books, they are officially licensed, but still 3rd party.

Red Fel
2013-09-23, 09:38 PM

Gonna echo what a lot of people have said.

First priority is your PHBII, MIC, SpellCom.

Next priority is your Completes, ToB, and XPH if you want to use Psionics. Once you've completed this set, you've got everything you need.

Everything below that is a flavor-based want. Want undead? Libris Mortis. Want cheese dragons? RotD. And so forth.

Faerun and Eberron books are pretty juicy, but as stated, flavor-based want.

I will also note that, like ToB, MoI and ToM offer interesting alternative mechanics systems. Unlike ToB, however, which makes melees functional, MoI and ToM basically just add entirely new juice, so like XPH, they're only good if you think you'll use them.

Be sure to take your D&D supplements every day. Side effects may include dizziness, nausea, dry mouth, and fondness for Warforged.

Phelix-Mu
2013-09-23, 09:44 PM
Be sure to take your D&D supplements every day. Side effects may include dizziness, nausea, dry mouth, and fondness for Warforged.

You forgot "light purse syndrome."

WebTiefling
2013-09-23, 10:01 PM
Based on which book do I go back to over and over again for pleasure reading, Draconomicon is my favorite. (though you already have it)

The artwork is absolutely phenomenal, and the details about dragons is wonderful. I don't use the book very much in my games except for some of the powerful dragon NPCs, and the occasional minor dragon, but I've read it for fun more than any other book, hands down.

Spell Compendium and Magic Item Compendium are phenomenally useful ... compendiums.

After that, it's the style of game you need to support. If your players are melee-heavy and skilled at putting together fairly optimized characters, then Tome of Battle and maybe Complete Champion would be your most useful. Got wizards and sorcerers of all flavors playing your games, then you'll want some of the more magic-based books.

Fax Celestis
2013-09-23, 11:36 PM
DMG-II and MM-V are excellent choices for DMs.

For players, Spell Compendium, Magic Item Compendium, Tome of Battle, Tome of Magic, Expanded Psionics Handbook, Complete Champion, Complete Scoundrel, PHB-II.

Third-party: Untapped Potential, Hyperconscious, Consolidated Book of Experimental Might.

I also have a soft spot for Etherscope (since it has rules for victoriana-steampunk cybernaughtic enhancements) and Ghostwalk (because I like playing ghosts, have since I played Wraith: The Great War).

Flickerdart
2013-09-23, 11:54 PM
The Spell and Magic Item Compendia are amazing if balance is an issue in your game. The SpC lets you straight up ban all Core spells (which have most of the major offenders) and replace them with a huge selection of much tamer ones, with really nice toys that make Paladins, Assassins, and Rangers happy. MIC gives mundanes some really neat toys, helping them use money to make up for magical power.

ArcturusV
2013-09-24, 12:06 AM
I actually really like the Terrain Books (Except Cityscape and I admit I haven't given Dungeonscape much of a look... and I'm kinda loathe to because of the rabid love I see Factotums get). Vile Darkness and Exalted Deeds are two others I really like. There's always something interesting in there that I want to use, and I love when players ask me if they can pull from it.

I'd tend to downvote the "Setting" books. Then again I don't like playing in established settings all that much. But usually when I hear about something weird, wild, and potentially broken for my game that I don't want to let in? It came from Forgotten Realms. Or Eberron. Or Dragonlance, etc. So I wouldn't really go for them unless you are planning to actually play a lot of games in those settings.

Greenish
2013-09-24, 12:20 AM
As has been said, the Compendiums are pretty grand, probably the best value for PC stuff. I'm not much of a caster player, so I prefer MIC, but both are grant.

I'll also second the environmental books (Sandstorm/Frostburn/Stormwrack/Dungeonscape/Cityscape) depending on where you want to adventure.

Of Completes, Scoundrel and Champion are some of the most useful ones.

Tome of Battle is probably the handiest of the "alternative systems", especially given that EPH is mostly in SRD.

Player's Handbook II has lots of fairly useful crunch, even if the fluff is hopelessly vague (as it tends to be on non-setting-specific books).

While that may be true for Day In The Life Of A Treehugger, I willl say that Races of Destiny and Races of the Dragon are nice reads.I also liked Races of Eberron.

To avoid, hmm. Complete Psionics is probably the least liked of Completes. Tome of Magic has, basically, one great class, and two classes that aren't very good. There's quite a bit of fluff with no guarantee it'd fit into a given world.

NeoPhoenix0
2013-09-24, 12:26 AM
...Tome of Magic has, basically, one great class, and two classes that aren't very good. There's quite a bit of fluff with no guarantee it'd fit into a given world.

No no no, It has one good class with some ok support material. One very average to maybe a little less than average class with ok support material. And one third of a book that will drive you mad worse than a book in a Cthulhu game.

edit: despite being very mediocre, I like the shadowcasting part. It has some interesting items, but nothing outstanding.

For suggestions, my vote is in for frostburn, sandstorm, stormwrack, the magic item compendium, and the spell compendium.

lsfreak
2013-09-24, 01:10 AM
edit: despite being very mediocre, I like the shadowcasting part. It has some interesting items, but nothing outstanding.

Of course, unlike a lot of stuff that's broken, shadowcasting's pretty easy to fix: fundamentals are at-will, turn everything else from X/day to X/encounter, remove restriction on getting higher levels in the path and instead gain bonus feats on completed ones (i.e. part of the author's unofficial fixed). That does wonders to make it playable at all levels (1st-3rd level are probably pretty painful, but no more than warlock), and doesn't get potentially broken iirc until 15th level when you get 1/encounter dominate monster.

To avoid, hmm. Complete Psionics is probably the least liked of Completes.
Understatement of the Thread award. I'm not sure I know of any other books that are actively loathed. Not liked for being too boring, setting-specific, or fluffy, sure. Hated because of horrible design and nerfing mid-level options into uselessness, no. I'm pretty sure the only thing that gets as much hate are SKR and the ToB errata.

Personally, I dislike the terrain books, with the exception of Cityscape. You're probably going to run into cities at some point, except in the most extraordinary campaigns. Deserts and ice sheets, not so much. Even then, most of Cityscape is directed towards the DM, and I find the DM material in PHB2, CC, etc to be more useful because it comes packaged with some truly excellent player options as well. Borrow the terrain books from a friend, or sit and the bookstore and give them a skim, and you won't be missing much you'd have if you bought it. And you can put the money towards one of the Completes or something instead.

Greenish
2013-09-24, 01:19 AM
Understatement of the Thread award. I'm not sure I know of any other books that are actively loathed.Well, it does have it's high points. Ardent and Soulbow are much loved, and many of the racial feats are also quite nice.

SciChronic
2013-09-24, 01:25 AM
Books I recommend after core (obviously):

Magic Item Compendium, simply a must for most mundane classes, and it helps casters out a lot as well.
Expanded Psionics Handbook + Complete Psionics, if you get XPH, you should really get CPsi with it. some of the nerfs to some powers hurt, but the increased variety in psionics classes makes it more than worth it.
Complete Series, More for mundane classes than casters (though they get a lot of fun stuff here as well) it expands your option pool a lot, and carries many of the key feats to making mundane classes fun to play.
Tome of Battle, again, for mundane classes, but this gives you a lot of versatility in builds, and gives mundanes something more to do other than "I full attack again" through the addition of maneuvers and stances.
Spell Compendium, its a giant book of new spells, what else can you say? gives more room to caster classes, although most of the broken things are already found in core.
Magic of Incarnum, interesting resource system (essentia/chakra), and if you can spend the time to learn it, you can get some really oomf out of it.
Player's Handbook II, some nice classes and a good number of feats for mundane classes

Worth looking into:

Stormwrack
Sandstorm
Frostburn
Savage Species
Dungeonscape
Arms & Equipment Guide

these books provide a lot of interesting items, classes, and setting ideas

that said, most of these 3.5 books aren't made anymore, and the ones that are are part of the reprint. So you'll have to get most of them secondhand or as pdfs, both options aren't really that bad tbh. I have most of the 3.5 collection as a pdf just to save space since i live in a dorm.

D20ragon
2013-09-24, 06:08 AM
Thanks,this is really helpful.

molten_dragon
2013-09-24, 06:23 AM
I'm getting some new ones at some point,so I'd like to know which ones to get/avoid. Thanks!

Beyond the core rulebooks, my top three favorites are Spell Compendium, Magic Item Compendium, and Tome of Battle. Those three get used nearly every session.

After that would probably be PHBII, then the 'Complete' books. Those tend to get used less than the three above, but still frequently for feats, new classes, and prestige classes.

Then you have books that are situationally useful. The psionics books, Magic of Incarnum, Tome of Magic, and the 'Location' books (Sandstorm, Stormwrack, Frostburn, etc.) are all very useful if that material is relevant to your game (for example if someone wants to play a psion, the expanded psionics handbook is good to have, if you're doing a pirate campaign, stormwrack is nice to have). Otherwise they won't see much playtime.

The Trickster
2013-09-24, 06:37 AM
Come on now guys, Book of Erptic Fantasies. Best book ever.

I'm going to agree with what most people have said and vote ToB, SpC and MIC as the three best bang for your buck. Although I will say that I love RotDragon as well.

ArcturusV
2013-09-24, 06:59 AM
Sarcasm aside, I still find it's a pretty good book. Things in there are well balanced (Perhaps from having 20 more playtesters than 3.5 core did. :smallwink: ), some high power options like Metaphysical Spellshaper. And if you can get past "Hurr hurr, sex!" there's some fun stuff in there.

Jeff the Green
2013-09-24, 07:08 AM
Really? I haven't noticed that, but at a guess, it's because the book has both Travel Devotion and the Lion Totem barb for pouncing. But there's a reason they're in here, WotC finally realized Melee Can't Have Nice Things doesn't work.

Besides those two, though, there's a ton of other stuff that's well-balanced even if you take free movement to be too much. It's much, MUCH less scattered than the earlier Completes, where you get Shock Trooper and Samurai in the same book.

The only thing in CC I've seen that has gotten banned is the special holy symbols because casters don't really need to boost their DCs. Of course, I love them.

The whole book is one of my favorites, actually. The Paragnostic Assembly in particular is awesome, and while I loathe Fist of the Forest and have a rather severe case of Pelor-phobia, I find CC to be one of those rare cases where tying fluff to crunch was actually done well.

The Trickster
2013-09-24, 08:36 AM
Sarcasm aside, I still find it's a pretty good book. Things in there are well balanced (Perhaps from having 20 more playtesters than 3.5 core did. :smallwink: ), some high power options like Metaphysical Spellshaper. And if you can get past "Hurr hurr, sex!" there's some fun stuff in there.

True enough. The Disrobe spell is pretty awesome in the lower level games, and the "remove hair" spell is kinda goofy as well.

Palanan
2013-09-24, 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by ArcturusV
Sarcasm aside, I still find [BoEF is] a pretty good book.

Well, it's not for everyone. I flipped through it and wasn't impressed; it takes itself way too seriously, and some of the illustrations have a really strong squick factor. There are some things I don't want to see when I open a gaming book.

Never seen it used, and only once has it even come up in conversation at any game I've been in, ever since it first came out. I've never run or played in a campaign where it would have fit, or even been vaguely useful.

Originally Posted by Jeff the Green
...and while I loathe Fist of the Forest....

Hmm. Why is that?

Phelix-Mu
2013-09-24, 11:02 AM
Well, it's not for everyone. I flipped through it and wasn't impressed; it takes itself way too seriously, and some of the illustrations have a really strong squick factor. There are some things I don't want to see when I open a gaming book.

Never seen it used, and only once has it even come up in conversation at any game I've been in, ever since it first came out. I've never run or played in a campaign where it would have fit, or even been vaguely useful.

Ah, much sadness. I personally find BoEF somewhat indispensible. STD rules are important...you wouldn't imagine the amount of times that is actually relevant, from silly pc wants to visit a brothel, but forgets protection, to foolish player slept with demon in disguise, and what competent demon doesn't take an opportunity to leave their partner a special gift.

Moreover, no less than twice have important characters/cohorts in campaigns I've run become pregnant. The rules for how different races are during pregnancy, length of gestation, ability modifiers based on trimester, and so forth. That's all actual stuff that happens to people that have sex, and, at least in my campaigns, they do (if usually well offstage). Rules for this kind of thing are not intuitive, so a resource is nice.

I could go on further about how I personally find the bias in fantasy toward destruction and war, and away from creative, nurturing activities to be rather emblematic of the skewed audience, and therefor an unrealistic representation of a world in which balance between the two concepts is vital.

But I also accept that some people don't want a game replete with all the things that we have to deal with irl. The game is as much an escape as it is a simulation, and I don't have a problem with that. And I will actually agree that there is a squick factor in some of the stuff in BoEF. Pretty much comes with the territory. *facepalm*

Kuulvheysoon
2013-09-24, 11:58 AM
As has been said, the Compendiums are pretty grand, probably the best value for PC stuff. I'm not much of a caster player, so I prefer MIC, but both are grant.

I'll also second the environmental books (Sandstorm/Frostburn/Stormwrack/Dungeonscape/Cityscape) depending on where you want to adventure.

Of Completes, Scoundrel and Champion are some of the most useful ones.

Tome of Battle is probably the handiest of the "alternative systems", especially given that EPH is mostly in SRD.

Player's Handbook II has lots of fairly useful crunch, even if the fluff is hopelessly vague (as it tends to be on non-setting-specific books).
I also liked Races of Eberron.

To avoid, hmm. Complete Psionics is probably the least liked of Completes. Tome of Magic has, basically, one great class, and two classes that aren't very good. There's quite a bit of fluff with no guarantee it'd fit into a given world.

Basically +1 to everything Greenish said, especially Races of Eberron, MIC and the Player's Handbook 2.

That being said, I've got a soft spot for Dragon Magic, especially because it offers support for other sourcebooks (a new vestige, new soulmelds, etc...).

Phelix-Mu
2013-09-24, 12:04 PM
That being said, I've got a soft spot for Dragon Magic, especially because it offers support for other sourcebooks (a new vestige, new soulmelds, etc...).

And why didn't they do that more often? It's like cooperative marketing. "You think this stuff sounds cool? Well, buy the book with the full version of those rules!" Seems like a no-brainer. One of the most lamentable bits about the secondary and tertiary classes that were introduced is that they are NEVER mentioned elsewhere. Spellthieves get a nod or two, no one ever looks at the ugly-stepchild Samurai, and if it weren't for the late-production 3.5 dracophiles, then Dragon Shaman would be pretty lonely, too.

So sad. Make something beautiful and then leave it out in the cold. Asmodeus approves.

zilonox
2013-09-24, 12:13 PM
I'm not sure I know of any other books that are actively loathed.

Not even "Weapons of Legacy"? :smallwink:

What I get the most use out of are the psionic books. But then, I've been a fan since you had to roll for a chance of having them. :smallbiggrin:

But to echo what has already been said, I'd suggest the compendiums and Tome of Battle as top priorities for your next few purchases.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-09-24, 12:19 PM
Serpent Kingdom is also pretty high on the hate-o-metre.

Roguenewb
2013-09-24, 01:15 PM
whaTever yOu do Read the REally NeaT bookS.

ZamielVanWeber
2013-09-24, 01:23 PM
Jumping on the Magic of Incarnum bandwagon. Solutions for all your problemsand a lot of fun ways of going about things.

Weapons of Legacy and complete psionics have some cool stuff but were poorly executed/edited so I would avoid those unless you really want at the material inside.

Jeff the Green
2013-09-24, 02:17 PM
Oh, something I meant to mention is that you can legally get PDFs (http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/index.php?filters=0_0_1100_0_0) of most (if not all) 3.X books. Depending on your play style and where you'd planned to get them, the PDFs might be a superior option. I basically never play without my laptop at hand, and I much prefer to be able to search than to have to flip through. They're also cheaper than, say, Amazon (Lords of Madness, for example, is $16.99 as a PDF but even the lowest used price for a hard copy is $24.90.)

Greenish
2013-09-24, 03:26 PM
Hmm. Why is that?I'd guess Primal Living. It'd make such a nice generic brawler otherwise.

Roguenewb
2013-09-26, 01:08 PM
Oh, something I meant to mention is that you can legally get PDFs (http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/index.php?filters=0_0_1100_0_0) of most (if not all) 3.X books. Depending on your play style and where you'd planned to get them, the PDFs might be a superior option. I basically never play without my laptop at hand, and I much prefer to be able to search than to have to flip through. They're also cheaper than, say, Amazon (Lords of Madness, for example, is $16.99 as a PDF but even the lowest used price for a hard copy is $24.90.)

That sOunds Really REadable, NaTch.