PDA

View Full Version : Wait...that's not a fighter bonus feat?

DarkSonic1337
2013-09-23, 08:50 PM
So I'm making a swiftblade and I was looking at some fighter bonus feats I may want to grab with "Heroics" to help me in melee combat. I immediately had the idea "wait, I already have spring attack and bounding assault, why not grab rapid blitz?" And then I found out that rapid blitz is actually not a eligible as a fighter bonus feat (nor is bounding assault for that matter, though the whole chain before it is).

What other feats have you guys come across that would be very appropriate as fighter bonus feats?

So far I've got
Bounding Assault, Rapid Blitz
Karmic Strike

Chronos
2013-09-23, 08:59 PM
None of the incarnum feats are fighter bonus feats, not even the ones that directly mimic other feats that are.

BowStreetRunner
2013-09-23, 09:13 PM
My favorite example of this is Weapon Supremacy. Fighter 18 is a prerequisite, but it is not a Fighter feat.

Note that this means the only way to pick this feat up in a 20-level build is therefore to go straight Fighter 18 and take it as your normal 18th level feat. Any multi-classing at all and you are now restricted to picking it up at Epic levels only.

Uhtred
2013-09-23, 09:24 PM
Leap Attack! The two-handed weapon wielding power-attacking über-charger has to wait until they get a character feat to be able to triple their power attack damage with a successful jump check, with jump being one of the only trained skills a fighter has. It's always baffled me.

MirddinEmris
2013-09-23, 09:27 PM
As i recall, Bounded Assault and Rapid Blitz were errata'd to be fighter feats

BowStreetRunner
2013-09-23, 09:29 PM
As i recall, Bounded Assault and Rapid Blitz were errata'd to be fighter feats

Well, whaddya know...

"Page 75-86 – Feats [Omission]
Bounding Assault, Crushing Strike, Driving Attack, Overwhelming Assault, Rapid Blitz, Slashing Flurry, and Weapon Supremacy should indicate that a fighter may select the feat as a fighter bonus feat."

So Weapon Supremacy IS able to be taken as a fighter bonus feat.

I learn something new every day.

Sith_Happens
2013-09-24, 12:30 AM
Leap Attack had no such luck, though.

Thurbane
2013-09-24, 12:33 AM
Even though it's not the best of feats (-4 to AC for +2 to attack), Reckless Offense (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#recklessOffense) should have been a Fighter bonus feat.

DarkSonic1337
2013-09-24, 12:34 AM
As do I.

I can take Rapid Blitz with heroics :).

Still weird that leap attack doesn't qualify as a fighter feat though

herrhauptmann
2013-09-24, 12:58 AM
Still weird that leap attack doesn't qualify as a fighter feat though

I got that wrong for years before someone pointed it out to me this summer.

Equinox
2013-09-24, 01:42 AM
To properly cap the worst class in the game, they should have given it the worst feat in the game. Alas, Toughness (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#toughness) is not a Fighter Bonus Feat.

Akal Saris
2013-09-24, 01:45 AM
From core, Great Fortitude, Lightning Reflexes, and Iron Will are not fighter feats.

Ironically, I only noticed this because I had a wizard with the fighter feat ACF, and I wanted to pick up Iron Will to enter a prestige class :P

Squirrel_Dude
2013-09-24, 02:09 AM
From core, Great Fortitude, Lightning Reflexes, and Iron Will are not fighter feats.This is kind of understandable, but annoying as those are the only feats a fighter has left to take after about 10 levels of core 3.5

TuggyNE
2013-09-24, 02:16 AM
To properly cap the worst class in the game, they should have given it the worst feat in the game. Alas, Toughness (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#toughness) is not a Fighter Bonus Feat.

Focused Lexicon isn't either. :smallwink:

Thurbane
2013-09-24, 02:29 AM
Yet Improved Toughness is. Go figure. :smalltongue:

Greenish
2013-09-24, 02:39 AM
Yet Improved Toughness is. Go figure. :smalltongue:Ah, but you can't take Improved Toughness more than once, whilst Toughness, why, you could spend all your feats on it!

If it was a fighter bonus feat, you could burn all of your class features for 20 levels to have 33 more HP! How broken would that be?!

Squirrel_Dude
2013-09-24, 03:00 AM
Yet Improved Toughness is. Go figure. :smalltongue:Improved Toughness is such an awesome feat from a meta perspective. You know the designers must have been thinking to themselves when they put it out there "Yeah, this is what toughness should have been from the beginning. Let's just go ahead and be clear about that."

Greenish
2013-09-24, 03:09 AM
From core, Great Fortitude, Lightning Reflexes, and Iron Will are not fighter feats.
Great Fortitude, though, appears on many of the lists for variant fighters in Dragon Magazine #310. Perhaps most pertinently, the Pugilist fighter sports it as a bonus feat, leading to my favourite Fist of the Forest entry of Barbarian 2/Pugilist 2.

nedz
2013-09-24, 03:35 AM

Ironically, I only noticed this because I had a wizard with the fighter feat ACF, and I wanted to pick up Iron Will to enter a prestige class :P

Combat Casting. I made a mistake in an Iron Chef once where I used the same ACF to grab this feat for similar reasons. It just seemed obvious that a Wizard with that ACF would pick Combat Casting, but they can't.

ben-zayb
2013-09-24, 06:21 AM
Superior. Unarmed. Strike. Not a fighter feat.

I mean, oh Kord... why? You're practically the Olympian God of Olympics, Greyhawk style! You're title is "The Brawler" for crying out loud!

JaronK
2013-09-24, 12:20 PM
Note that this means the only way to pick this feat up in a 20-level build is therefore to go straight Fighter 18 and take it as your normal 18th level feat. Any multi-classing at all and you are now restricted to picking it up at Epic levels only.

Martial Variant Monk: take it at level 1.

JaronK

grarrrg
2013-09-24, 05:10 PM
For what it's worth, this very type of stupidity made it into Pathfinder as well.
They are now referred to as "Combat Feats".
There's still just as much (proportional) "what?".

Ekul
2013-09-24, 05:25 PM
I was sad to see that Snap Kick, Knock-down, improved natural attack and Karmic Strike aren't fighter feats..

DarkSonic1337
2013-09-25, 09:52 AM
I kind of think stand still should be a fighter bonus feat too.