PDA

View Full Version : What is the 3.x LA for 4E races?

Rakaydos
2013-09-24, 12:47 AM
So what would the LA for the following races be?

+2 Con, +2 Dex
+2 racial bonus to Intimidate and Listen
35' movespeed
Lowlight Vision
+2 to damage if two allies are threatening the target
+2 to damage when below half health
1/encounter +2 damage bonus on charge, with an additional +2 and 4 temp HP if below half HP when used.

+2 Str, +2 Cha
+2 racial bonus to Intimidate and Knowlege: History
+1 to all to hit rolls when below 50% HP
1/encounter Elemental Cone attack, 15' range, 1d6 (element) damage + con mod. Reflex for half (use Character level to scale save DC)

(more later)

Eldan
2013-09-24, 06:46 AM
I'd say the unbalanced stats make them a +1, even if the rest of their powers are nothing to write home about.

The first, at least, isn't a bad melee fighter race.

The second seems kinda pointless. Maybe on a sorcerer gish, but even then, the breath weapon will be pointless very soon.

ArcturusV
2013-09-24, 07:17 AM
Second I'd mark out for Paladin, or Cleric actually over Sorcerer.

But I agree, I'm thinking +1 and it's just from the stats alone.

Zaydos
2013-09-24, 02:12 PM
Like they said the unbalanced ability scores push them into low +1 range.

The shifter (I think that's a shifter) makes a decent melee combatant, while the dragonborn in 3.5 would also have the dragonblood subtype which is a minor advantage that might give it a place in some builds.

You might could add the optional ability bonus which all the races in 4e eventually got after PHBIII (+2 to X +2 to Y or Z) as a third bonus (+2 to X, Y, & Z) to make them a stronger LA +1.

I might have been thinking about how to convert Devas to 3.5 yesterday.

Rakaydos
2013-09-24, 02:44 PM
Gnoll, actually.

Would racial feat access be enough to bump a race to another LA, if it was a particularly "must have" feat?

Would it be worth giving them all "second wind" as racial abilities?

ArcturusV
2013-09-24, 02:57 PM
... I'd probably say that a Bonus Feat wouldn't do it. Depending on the relative power of the feat (Especially if it ignores Pre-reqs). I'm not sure what effect Second Wind might have. I doubt it'd impact LA as Second Wind would be most valuable at low levels.

I feel that way because in 4th edition? Offense and Defense maintain a rough parity as you level up. At least so it always felt to me. So you still have just as much of a chance to get smacked by any given attack at level 1, 5, 15, 23, etc. So an option like Second Wind, trading a standard action for a defense boost and a heal, actually works (Less likely to get tagged and you can gain more than you are losing).

But in 3rd edition... it's not really like that. At very low levels, 1-3ish, you have a similar level of being able to avoid damage on a dependable basis. And effects that will pretty much auto hit you are low damage enough that you can outheal it potentially.

But once you move past that low level threshold it becomes to a point where Offense is a LOT more powerful than defense. And unless you're talking about a very high amount (Like the 200 HP from Heal/Harm), your healing just isn't going to have enough mileage to be worth burning your turn on. And the slight defensive boosts just won't cover your ass.

But it depends on what you make Second Wind look like. I IMAGINE it would probably be something like:

Standard Action: You may use Second Wind 3/day. When you use it, you are considered to be using the total defense action (+4 to AC), and heal HP equal to your Constitution Modifier times your Level (Thus a third level Fighter with an 18 Constitution would gain 12 HP).