PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Races Reborn for D&D Next!

tbok1992
2013-09-24, 02:35 AM
Well, since D&D Next got its final playtest packet, I thought I might as well start homebrewing races, bringing old races back to this new game!

I'll start off simple with some "Draconic Ancestry" variants for the Dragonborn in the latest packet,. They're based on the dragons they didn't cover yet, specifically the Chromatics & Metallics they left forgotten and the Gem and Catastrophic Dragons. So...

Draconic Ancestry II
---Dragon---|-Damage Type-|----Breath Weapon----|
---Yellow--------Slashing---5 x 15-ft Line (Dex. Save)*
---Purple--------Psychic------15-ft Cone (Wis. Save)**
---Orange---------Fire-----10-ft Diameter Circle within 30 ft. (Dex. Save)
----Grey----------Acid-----5 x 15-ft Line (Dex. Save)*
---Brown-------Slashing------15-ft Cone (Dex. Save)
Adamantine----Thunder------15-ft Cone (Con. Save)
---Cobalt---------Cold-----5 x 15-ft Line (Con. Save)*
----Iron--------Lightning-----15-ft Cone (Dex. Save)
---Mercury------Poison----5 x 15-ft Line (Int. Save)*
---Mithral-------Radiant------15-ft Cone (Wis. Save)**
---Orium---------Acid------5 x 15-ft Line (Str. Save)* **
----Steel--------Force------5 x 30-ft Line (Dex. Save)
--Amethyst------Force-----10-ft Diameter Circle within 30 ft. (Dex. Save)
--Crystal-------Piercing----5 x 15-ft Line (Dex. Save)*
--Emerald------Thunder----5 x 30-ft Line (Con. Save)
--Saphire-------Psychic-----5 x 30-ft Line (Int. Save)
---Topaz--------Necrotic***-5 x 15-ft Line (Con. Save)*
--Blizzard--------Cold-----10-ft Radius Circle around user (Con. Save)**-
-Earthquake--Bludgeoning-10-ft Radius Circle around user (Con. Save)**
--Volcano--------Fire------10-ft Radius Circle around user (Con. Save)**

* To compensate for their low range, these breath weapons have a bonus effect in that, if the opponent does not make the save, they take disadvantage on all d20 rolls for 1d4 turns
** These sub-races of Dragonborn should only be available to players with DM permission. Anybody who looks up the dragons these dragonborn were spawn of can see why.
*** This necrotic damage is not technically linked with the Negative Energy plane, but I could figure out no better way to represent the Topaz Dragon's dehydration power than that

So, how do you like my first D&D Next Homebrew? I'm really worried about a lot of stuff, but I hope you can give me some feedback so I can whip it into shape and hopefully do some more conversions/new races for D&D Next. Because, I've got myself quite a few ideas for what to do next...

vasharanpaladin
2013-09-24, 02:39 PM
Forgot avalanche, tornado, typhoon and wildfire dragons.

tbok1992
2013-09-24, 03:04 PM
Forgot avalanche, tornado, typhoon and wildfire dragons.

Were those from a D&D Insider article? Because, I've never been subscribed to DDI.

vasharanpaladin
2013-09-24, 07:14 PM
Were those from a D&D Insider article? Because, I've never been subscribed to DDI.

Yes, and neither have I, so why should that stop you?

tbok1992
2014-02-03, 09:58 PM
Well, mainly because if I muck stuff up, I don't want anybody to get annoyed.

Anyhoo, even though this has been dorman for over a year, I'VE STILL GOT CONTENT GALORE BAYBEE!

Here's a more setting-neutral version of Spirit Folk from Oriental Adventures 3e, designed as a sort of Planetouched-equivalent for the Primal Spirits of 4e, folks touched by the spirits before birth/born from the union of spirit and man. Here they are!

Spirit Folk Traits:
+1 to Wisdom
Size: Medium
Speed: 30 Ft.
Low-Light Vision: You can see in dim light as well as you can in normal light
Spirit-Touched- Any effects that effect Primal Spirits can also affect you, at a lesser degree. You get advantage on all saving throws against spirit-related effects, and only take half damage/healing/buff/debuff effects (Rounded up) from those effects.

Sub-Races:

Wood Folk Traits:
+1 to Charisma
Sons of the Earth- You gain advantage against all effects that primarily affect wood, earth, stone and rock.
Talk To The Animals/Walk With The Animals- You can speak to and understand any arboreal animals as you would with sentient beings you speak the language of, including making Charisma checks to influence them as one would with fellow sentients (Though keep in mind that, lacking intelligence, they might not be as helpful as one would think)
One With The Woods- You are impossible to track via footprints, scent and distruptions in foliage

Sea Folk Traits:
+1 to Dexterity
Sons of the Sea- You gain advantage against all effects involving water.
Like a Fish To Water- You have a swim speed of 30 ft. and can breathe underwater as you would in air.
This Looks like A Job For Aquaman!- You can speak to and understand any aquatic animals as you would with sentient beings you speak the language of, including making Charisma checks to influence them as one would with fellow sentients (Though keep in mind that, lacking intelligence, they might not be as helpful as one would think)

Sky Folk Traits:
+1 to Intelligence
Sons of the Skies- You gain advantage against all effects involving the sky, air, clouds and lightning.
Falling With Style- You are affected as if you have a permanent Feather Fall spell on you.
To Me My Pigeon Friends!-You can speak to and understand any flying animals as you would with sentient beings you speak the language of, including making Charisma checks to influence them as one would with fellow sentients (Though keep in mind that, lacking intelligence, they might not be as helpful as one would think)

So, is it any good, or is it overpowered as I fear it might be?

tbok1992
2014-02-06, 12:56 PM
And also, here's some stats for the Kreen subraces:

Kreen Traits:
+1 to Dexterity
Speed: 40 ft.
Darkvision: You can see in the dark as well as you can in the light for up to 60 feet. When you do so, your vision is in black and white
Carapace: All Kreen get a +2 to AC thanks to their chitinous hides. This stacks with the bonuses granted by normal armor.
Armed and Dangerous: Thanks to having two secondary arms in addition to their primary ones, not only do all Kreen get Advantage on Sleight-of-Hand checks, but they also may retrieve an item from their personage and attack on the same turn. They may also apply their ability modifier to the damage of both attacks when engaging in two-weapon fighting.
Torpor: You do not sleep. Rather, you enter into a state of extended torpor, which you require only four hours of rather than six to gain the full benefits of sleep, and you are fully aware during the entire duration.

Subraces:

Thri-Kreen-
+1 to Wisdom
Natural Leaper: You leap double the default amount for jumping as defined in the "How to Play" section, and are always considered to have a running start.
Cliffwalker: You have a Climb speed the same as your normal speed and can use weapons while climbing.

Xixchil
+1 to Intelligence
Surgical Expertise: You may use your Int score for Medicine checks rather than your Wisdom score, and always have advantage on these checks, as well as any checks related to medical & surgical healing and/or modification.
Anesthetic: You produce a natural poison that may be transmitted either via bite or via applying a previously-stored dose (Which takes 10 minutes to bottle and lasts approximately 1d4 days) onto a weapon. You may choose the stat the opponent must use to make their saving throw against it at the time of the poison's creation, and the DC of the throw is 10 + Your Intelligence Modifier.
The effects of this poison are that, after one failed saving throw, the opponent is dazed, and after two failed saving throws; the opponent is unconscious. After you have produced a dose of this poison, you may not do so again until you have taken a long or short rest.

And before you ask, yes, the Xixchil are a subrace of Kreen, it says so in the 2e "Thri-Kreen of Athas" book

Ro-Keen [A subrace of my own creation]:
+1 to Constitution
Hardiness of the Roach: You have resistance to Poison and Necrotic damage, have Advantage on all saving throws against disease, and can consume any organic matter as food
They Get In Everywhere: You can slip through any crack one inch high or larger without making a skill check.
Don't Tread on Me Bro: You have a vulnerability to bludgeoning damage.

And now the trouble is, I have no idea how to make the Tohr-Kreen, given that they're just more-advanced Thri-Kreen, and they seem like they might be too broken.

Of course, I'm also worried that the current stats might be too overpowered, and also that the Blugeoning weakness for the Ro-Keen might be too severe. What do you think?

:EDITED: Added a bit of a dual-wielding bonus to the Thri-kreen as suggested by Silverbit.

tbok1992
2014-02-12, 11:49 PM
And here is some stuff for Kobolds! Also, I'm still really hoping for input on these stats.

Kobolds:
+1 to Dexterity
Speed: 30 Feet
Size: Small
Darkvision- You can see in the dark just as well as you can see in the light for up to 60 feet. This vision is in black and white
Scaly Hide- You gain +1 to your armor class.
Shifty- You can move your full speed when taking a Disengage action
Pack Tactics- You gain a cumulative +1 bonus to your attack for every ally adjacent to your enemy
Light Sensitive- You take disadvantage on all rolls when exposed to sunlight. Concealing/heavy clothing can be used to avoid these deleterious effects, and thus when properly covered up, you do not take disadvantage from this effect.

So, is it any good?

tbok1992
2014-02-23, 08:44 PM
Som given that lack of input I've been getting, I'd like to ask y'all: What race do you want me to convert next? And, what common flaws do you see between all my race conversions?

Silverbit
2014-02-24, 05:45 AM
All these look very good. Maybe the Kreen should have some sort of bonus for duel wielding? It's kind of their shtick.

As for races I'd like to see, a playable Shifter or a lesser lycanthrope of some kind would be a good thing.

Thunderfist12
2014-02-24, 09:25 AM
Thunderfist looked upon the world of new D&D NEXT races, and said: "Well, this is all very well and good, but it's missing... something."

And so he said "Let there be dromites! Let there be maenads! Let there be duergar!"

In other words, it would be awesome if you could make some psionic race conversions for NEXT.

tbok1992
2014-05-13, 10:15 PM
Well, I don't know if I could do psionic races for Next, considering Psionic classes/powers have not been released yet.

But, on the (very late) plus side, here's the Shifters for Silverbit, choosing the three types based on the main 3 D&D lycanthropes:

Shifters:
+1 to Wisdom
Speed: 30 Feet
Low-Light Vision: Shifters can see just as well in low or dim light conditions as they can in normal light.
Animal Magnetism: You gain advantage on all Animal Handling checks
Bestial Body: You automatically are proficient in Athletics, whether or not your Background or Class grants it to you.
Shifting: For 3 + [2 x Their Proficiency Bonus] concurrent rounds, the shifter can change into an alternate, more feral state. In this state you not only gain advantage on all Strength and Constitution checks, but you also gain temporary hit points equal to ½ your full HP, and your proficiency bonus added to each die of your melee attack damage roll.
The shifter may regain this ability only after a short or long rest.
Languages: You know Common and one other language

Longtooth:
+1 to Strength
The Nose Knows: With your superior sense of smell, you can detect a scent trail up to three days old along with its approximate direction. You can identify the source of the smell if you have come into personal contact with it or something similar to it.
Longtooth Shifting: When shifted, you gain a 1d8 damage natural bite weapon, and your proficiency bonus to attack rolls doubles when two or more allies are within ten feet of an enemy.

Razorclaw:
+1 to Dexterity
With Cat-Like Tread: You gain proficiency in acrobatics checks.
Razorclaw Shifting: When shifted, you gain two 1d6 damage natural claw weapons, which you can use in the same manner as two-weapon fighting, and you can jump double the length you would normally. You may also jump while moving for a charge attack.

Goretusk:
+1 to Constitution
Profound Refusal To Die: You can continue fighting while you are shifted even if you are below zero hit points, and, if you still have it available, can shift as a free action when brought to zero hit points
Goretusk Shifting: While shifting, you gain a 1d10 damage natural tusk weapon and +2 to AC

Do ya like it?