PDA

View Full Version : What Would You Do?

ReluctantDragon
2006-12-27, 12:42 PM
*the title of this thread is meant to echo in your head much like a movie announcer's voice*

So, the group that I do PnP gaming with has an inside joke whenever we start a new D&D campaign. When a prospective DM asks us what we are going to play, quite often myself and another fella look each other in the eye, and scream in melodramatic voices, "A party of Clerics!"

Now obviously, this would have its advantages, as has been witnessed (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0077.html).

I was personally wondering, if you had your druthers, what strange party makeups you would like to play.

Aside from the all clerics, I'd do two rogues and two knights. Just for all the flanking, threatening goodness.

Anyone else?

Scorpina
2006-12-27, 12:46 PM
I'm quite partial to a party of Bard, Paladin and Druid, personaly. I've played each role in that party at different times actually, back when I first started playing D&D. Good times.

In terms of parites I'd like to play in, well, All Clerics does sound incredibly fun. It'd allow for being a divine caster without being seen as a travelling medicene cabinet, for one thing. Otherwise, a party of bands would be aweseome, flavourwise if not statistically ("There's three of us! That's a band!").

reorith
2006-12-27, 12:51 PM
the party in my last campaign was a monk + sorc + warlock + barb + 2 fighters. lol i used a lot of undead :)

GolemsVoice
2006-12-27, 01:12 PM
Hmm, what I would try is not so much a strange combination of group members, but an alignment experiment.
Our gaming gropup alwasy thought of playing a normal adventure (normal means, you do not play in places where you get away with it, like the planes or the drow society) with a group of chaotic evil, or at least evil characters. Slaying, raping, drinking the blood of innocents, who would not join happily?:smallfurious:

Mauril Everleaf
2006-12-27, 01:15 PM
well the party im currently playing in, we are all tiefling or cambion, which is awesome to begin with (my dm doesnt do LA. yay for brokenness!) we have one straight fighter and my wiz/cleric, and the rest are homebrew classes (homebrew warlock, redone weapons master, knight hospitilar, AD&D assassin). to check out how pwnage this is, just look at his version of the warlock (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30447&page=3&p=1742907). all of his homebrew are this powerful. the only reason we have a plain fighter was because he didnt qualify for anything else. oh, and we are all either chaotic or not-good, so we kill lots of stuff.

Scorpina
2006-12-30, 12:47 PM
To paraphrase a sig I saw on the WOTC boards, who wouldn't want to play a Gelatinous Cube monk with a fearsome flurry of edges attack? Of course, he'd look a bit silly without his Black Pudding rogue and Ochre Jelly sorcerer buddies. :smallcool:

I think that says it all.

Pegasos989
2006-12-30, 01:52 PM
I am actually curious so I would like to try what it is like in a party of Wizard, Cleric, Warblade(or druid) and Beguiler.

Also, always parties of four representatives of the same class are interesting. Like cleric tank, Cleric buffer, Cleric blaster (can be done) and a cloistered cleric skillmonkey.

Or battlefield control wizard, Skillmonkey wizard, Blaster wizard...

(The reason why those are all casters is that it is hard to build barbarians for 4 diffrent roles, for example. Rogues would work but it would need a lot of UMD and magical item spending. ...Or stealing...)

(Why these

NullAshton
2006-12-30, 01:55 PM
I'd like to see a party of all bards in action. If one bard makes for good roleplaying, think about 4 bards!

Godhand
2006-12-30, 02:01 PM
A hunter group like a ranger, druid, barbarian and scout has always piqued my interest. It seems resonable enough, though the lack of arcane support could cause some problems.

If one had to create a three man group I've fiddled with a bard, ranger and rouge. Stealth first, a dabble of magic and decent close range abilities. Not the best, but not too bad.

TheThan
2006-12-30, 06:25 PM
How about the scoundrel squad

Bard, rogue, swashbuckler, and beguiler

Bears With Lasers
2006-12-30, 06:29 PM
I'd like to see a party of all bards in action. If one bard makes for good roleplaying, think about 4 bards!

The problem is that one bard doesn't make for good roleplaying. One bard makes for high results on social skill checks. Not the same thing.

JoeFredBob
2006-12-30, 06:37 PM
Personally I would really like to play in a party where sneaking skills are a must. Whether it's a druid wildshaping small animals, a wizard casting invisibility, a rogue, or whatever, everyone needs to be able to get past things unseen or you will all die.

Of course, that's more a campaign style, but truly, the two go hand in hand.

Incidentally, I'm currently DMing a group with no (okay, very minimal) arcane support, and they're doing just fine. They have trouble dealing with high-damage arcane magic (but not save-or-suck arcane magic....huh....), but other than that they deal with everything quite handily. (For the curious, it's rogue, swashbuckler/hexblade/maybesomethingelse, cleric/radiant servant of pelor, favored soul, spirit shaman.)

Emperor Tippy
2006-12-30, 06:40 PM
4 wizards. My RL group has done it before from level 1 to level 35 and it was incredibly fun.

NullAshton
2006-12-30, 06:42 PM
The problem is that one bard doesn't make for good roleplaying. One bard makes for high results on social skill checks. Not the same thing.

The joke just flew right over your head, didn't it.

Bears With Lasers
2006-12-30, 06:53 PM
The joke just flew right over your head, didn't it.

Man, you've got to realize that people coined the phrase "Counter-D&D" just for you. You just can't say ridiculously wrong things about D&D and expect people to assume you're being sarcastic.

Skyserpent
2006-12-30, 07:19 PM
Hm... Once we had a party of all Wizards... It was pretty odd though... We had one up front with Tensers Transformation or Body of War or any other Transmutation he had to actually be a tank. Then another who summoned monsters to flank and cover, and then we had a blaster and a utility mage... we went pretty far before being TPKed by a Beholder when the DM got bored.

Fhaolan
2006-12-30, 07:24 PM
I've done a party of all rogues... well, technically it was all theives, being 1st edition, but still. It was... interesting, and was somewhat fun.

I've also done a party of all clerics. It didn't work so well. Some of the players seemed to have emotional hangups about Catholics and brought that into the game. Ah well.

I've recently got the hankering to do a band. Not all bards, but all musicians at least. The idea being they're secret police and undercover adventurers, travelling as a band of minstrels. They report to the king, but for political reasons must appear to be simple minstrels. They must defeat all their enemies without revealing who they actually are. :smallsmile: You can tell I grew up in the time of Scooby-Doo, the Monkies, and the various Archie comics, can't you?

tarbrush
2006-12-31, 12:13 PM
Man, you've got to realize that people coined the phrase "Counter-D&D" just for you. You just can't say ridiculously wrong things about D&D and expect people to assume you're being sarcastic.

Someone coined a phrase 'counter D&D'

Is that for people who stay at home peacefully and get on with their neighbors or something?

Folie
2006-12-31, 04:32 PM
No, it's for adventurers who want to take a break from their stressful and dangerous lives to explore their fantasies of becoming accountants and IT guys and whatnot.

Matthew
2006-12-31, 07:12 PM
It's a Houseruled version of D&D that stands many (if not all) of its normal concepts on their heads, as I understand it.

Stuff like, Wizards are the most powerful Base Class at Level 1.

They probably will be for D&D 4.0 anyway....

Closet_Skeleton
2007-01-01, 11:23 AM
I was thinking of doing an all bard game but making it gestalt. So you still have the fighter, the wizard, the cleric and the rogue, but they're all bards too.

There are quite a few 'everybody has to choose the same gestalt' ideas that might be fun.

silvermesh
2007-01-01, 12:41 PM
rather see all druids than all clerics. more fun that way ;)

I also like an all monk group(everyone takes at least 1 level of monk). fighter with nunchaku, rogue throwing shuriken, wizard doing backflips. hehe.

Stormcrow
2007-01-01, 07:54 PM
My current parties are;

Ranger, Cleric, Knight, Sorcerer
&
Sorcerer, Dragon Shaman, Druid, Rogue, Ranger

The_Werebear
2007-01-01, 08:04 PM
A party of four paladins, one of each extreme would be cool. Granted, you would need insanely good roleplayers to prevent a PVP episode, and a good story to justify it.

I created the idea of an elite halfling strike force once. Bard, Monk, Rogue/Assassasin, Druid.

Bears With Lasers
2007-01-01, 08:08 PM
They'd all lose their paladinhood by traveling with each other.

NullAshton
2007-01-01, 08:17 PM

Unless the GM simply houserules that they don't lose their paladinhood for traveling with people from the opposite alignment...

The_Werebear
2007-01-01, 08:18 PM

That's part of the good story to justify it.