PDA

View Full Version : Becoming an Elan as a half-human?

NaYoN
2013-09-24, 11:06 AM
So, Elans are made from humans right? What about a half-human? I was going to roll a lesser tiefling Psion, but I was conflicted between that and an Elan since Elans are psionically oriented, and the DM was like "If it works within the rules, why not both?"

So, is this feasible? What would the racial attributes look like? What would the backstory entail?

Emperor Ing
2013-09-24, 11:11 AM
If your GM is okay with it, i'd say just remove darkvision if applicable, deduct 2 from your charisma, add 2 power pts, and add the Elan special qualities.

As for backstory, I wouldn't know where to begin.

Psyren
2013-09-24, 11:18 AM
Elans are actually made from a variety of races - humans are only the most common chosen for ascension. So go nuts.

As far as your racial attributes, they're irrelevant - Elans have set stats. You might push for some minor cosmetic details like red eyes or pointy teeth, but there will be no mechanical benefit - you won't have darkvision where other Elans don't get it or anything like that. You're an Elan, not a Tiefling-Elan.

Fax Celestis
2013-09-24, 11:28 AM
Never understood why elans don't have darkvision, honestly. It's a feature of the aberration type.

Also also, elan (like aasimar, tiefling, and other planetouched) is one of those cases where I wish they'd made it a template (like dragonborn) instead of a race.

Segev
2013-09-24, 11:33 AM
I believe the "Elan are made from many races, just humans are the most common" thing is a PF alteration, not a 3e thing. I'm pretty certain 3e Elan are strictly made from humans.

That said, it's an area of the rules that house-ruling it to work with half-humans and demi-humans and whatever can't hurt anything, since it's almost just fluff for your background. Your current mechanics "started" with level 1 as an Elan. Have fun.

Psyren
2013-09-24, 11:55 AM
I believe the "Elan are made from many races, just humans are the most common" thing is a PF alteration, not a 3e thing. I'm pretty certain 3e Elan are strictly made from humans.

It's in 4e too but yeah you're right, my bad. 3.5 was human-only.

Also also, elan (like aasimar, tiefling, and other planetouched) is one of those cases where I wish they'd made it a template (like dragonborn) instead of a race.

I disagree - I think the changes were so extensive that it's best off as a new race. Similar to Karsites/Illumians/Deep Imaskari etc.

The PF Elan does have an "imperfect" racial archetype where you do keep some aspect of your former race. I'm AFB and it's not on the SRD yet so I forget what they are, but that's really all the customization I think would be needed for this.

Urpriest
2013-09-24, 12:11 PM
Basically, becoming an Elan wipes pretty much everything about your past life clean. So your character wouldn't even know you once were a Tiefling.

NaYoN
2013-09-24, 12:11 PM
It's in 4e too but yeah you're right, my bad. 3.5 was human-only.

I disagree - I think the changes were so extensive that it's best off as a new race. Similar to Karsites/Illumians/Deep Imaskari etc.

The PF Elan does have an "imperfect" racial archetype where you do keep some aspect of your former race. I'm AFB and it's not on the SRD yet so I forget what they are, but that's really all the customization I think would be needed for this.

What does PF stand for? I'm not up-to-date on my acronyms. Also, my backstory will probably entail me being an important asset to the Elan council by circumstance, so unless it is physically impossible, they would be motivated to convert me. I know the XPH is vague about it and doesn't say whether they refuse to convert other races because they can't or because they don't want to, but if it is the latter we can bend the rules here. I'm a lesser tiefling so I'm more human than outsider, so that helps, right?

Basically, becoming an Elan wipes pretty much everything about your past life clean. So your character wouldn't even know you once were a Tiefling.

Does it involve a memory wipe? I never knew.

EDIT: The XPH states that I retain my memories, but lose class levels.

killem2
2013-09-24, 12:40 PM
What does PF stand for? .

Pathfinder

Segev
2013-09-24, 12:46 PM
You don't "lose" your memories entirely, but the are said to be - and I may not be using the same words as the XPH here - muted. Not quite dream-like, but not wholly solid. You likely can remember names and events and even doing certain things, but the clarity that would let you make practical use of most of it is gone. You could recognize old friends, but it would still feel a little like meeting somebody new that you just happened to know of. You remember knowing things about magic, or history, or mathematics, or the like, but trying to actually pull relevant details only works as well as your skill checks would indicate. You remember casting spells, but actually doing it is no longer something you can quite figure out (unless you're the same class you were before, and then only to your new, probably-still-reduced level).

Fouredged Sword
2013-09-24, 01:13 PM
No, what you do is mindswitch into some victim, turn your original body into an elan, then mindswitch back into your original, now elan, body. You now have an immortal elan body, some other fella just had his memories wiped though.

NaYoN
2013-09-24, 01:14 PM
No, what you do is mindswitch into some victim, turn your original body into an elan, then mindswitch back into your original, now elan, body. You now have an immortal elan body, some other fella just had his memories wiped though.

Is this for real? If so it's hilarious (and quite grim).

shaikujin
2013-09-24, 01:19 PM
So, Elans are made from humans right? What about a half-human? I was going to roll a lesser tiefling Psion, but I was conflicted between that and an Elan since Elans are psionically oriented, and the DM was like "If it works within the rules, why not both?"

So, is this feasible? What would the racial attributes look like? What would the backstory entail?

Rules-wise, you can try asking your DM whether you can start as an Elan, then take the Tiefling racial progression template here:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a

It's not exactly RAW, but hope it helps anyway.