View Full Version : [IC] Expedition Beneath: Thread the First

RFLS
2013-09-24, 12:01 PM
Expedition Beneath

The Guard

Players

{table=head] Player | Character | Race | Class | Alignment
RFLS | Punpun | Kobold | Yes | LN
AngryCyc | Tob (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=657378) | Svirfneblin | Ranger | LN
OhMyGodImOnFire | Moyra (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=659048) | Hellbred | Gish | NG
Jotunn | Colm (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=662065) | Human | Wild-Blade | TN
Gnarnia | Delgar (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=658776) | Dwarf | Barbarian | NN
Archmage1 | Thalen (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=658592) | Aasimar | Factlock | CG
userpay | Geden (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=660091) | Warforged | Warblade | NG
[/table]

You stand beneath the floating city of Turrif, home of over a hundred thousand gnomes, and nearly that many of the other humanoid species. A natural marvel, it serves as the trading hub for the entire eastern half of New Zarna, and the de facto capital. Airships whisk overhead, spreading out across the continent in a wave of trade and travel, bearing strange machines and stranger people to all the corners of the world.

Here, though, stand some of the strangest. Beneath the sprawling city lie tunnels, worked tunnels, as by men or their kin. They lie abandoned, filled with the dust of centuries, but delve far in to the ground. Miners have begun boring into them while working beneath the city, and it is for this purpose that you have come together. An expedition has been formed to delve this strange find, to see what might be gleaned from it.

You six, you strange, myriad six, have been hired to guard the expedition against the dangers that might befall it, to lend your strength should they be lacking, to guard them with your lives.

That's the theory, anyway.

--------------------------------------------------------

It's strange how often the theory can change.

--------------------------------------------------------

The gnome, short even by his specie's standards, is calling names from a roll in front of him. Around you, the bustle of scientific equipment, prospecting gear, miners, scientists, warriors, and all sorts threatens to drown him out. In the background, a massive engine rolls by, pulled by what looks like a troll.

"Tob!"

The stocky gnolem raises his ha- blade in reply, though he needs no introduction.

"Thalen!"

A small, thin man raises his gauntleted hand, near the back of your group. A light pulses briefly on the gauntlet.

"Moyra!"

A tall, armored elven woman flicks her sword into the air briefly, before returning it to her side.

"Geden!"

The hulking suit of armor that some of you had mistaken as lifeless briefly lifts a hand. The man towers over the rest of the group.

"Colm!"

A stocky, well muscled man briefly raises a hand. He looks mildly bored by the proceedings.

"And Delgar!"

A wild-eyed, disheveled dwarf near the front waves his pickaxe in the air.

"Okay, group, here's the deal: You've been hired as guards for the expedition. You'll be paid 500 gold now, and another thousand should you return. You're to guard them with your lives. Got it?"

The gnome doesn't even bother pausing to listen for questions before continuing on with his speel. "You'll be fed while you're down there, so don't worry about bringing food. Expedition should take about a month. When you're not on guard duty, you're hired muscle, to help out with the moving of...whatever gadgets the eggheads have."

He pauses briefly, and looks out at the group, muttering under his breath. "My god, is this what we've got..."

"Okay, I suppose you have some questions. You've got two minutes, and then I've got to beat it."

Archmage1
2013-09-24, 12:16 PM
The youth with the ill fitting gauntlet, Thalen, standing at the back, is filled with joy. The chance of going somewhere, doing something that no one else has done... that was a chance that he could not pass up.
Compared to many of the others, his basic equipment was of poor quality, but it was clearly well cared for, well, except for his sword. That looked like it had been used more as a lever than as a weapon. His clothing is dark, and somewhat tattered, as though he was often exposed to high winds. Indeed, he walked with the step of one accustomed to one of the great airships.
Still, he was being hired to protect the scientists, something that he had little experience at, but perhaps he might be able to scout. He was sure that he could make himself useful, anyway.
However, he had quite a lot of questions, as Captain Xander had not given him much information, beyond that the expedition was going underground, which was a new place for him.
"We're going underground, right? Do you know how far we are going, or anything about the route? Or even what the scientists are bringing?"
Thalen hopes that the gnome does not know, for that would mean that someone else had gone there first. That would make this trip less fun, but, for 1500 gold, it was worth it. Maybe he would be able to create his own expedition...

AngryCyc
2013-09-24, 12:41 PM
Tob

"Nope. I'm ready to go. I trust everyone will want me at the front leading the way?"

He points forward with his arms-that-are-blades... the mechanisms and contraptions from extending out to his body, acting as both an aid to motion and as armor protecting his sensitive parts... He is the perfect living weapon, built for survival and attack.

userpay
2013-09-24, 03:09 PM
Where before the eyes of the suit of armor had brightened when it raised its hand they now dim completely. Dull clicks are heard as the whole of the helmet then splits, opens, and folds down revealing the face and head of a grayed middle aged human. Geden's eyes, nearly as blue as the sapphire blue of the helmets, wander over the crew for a before settling on the open sky barely visible between the chunks of floating rock overhead. His head tilts as if he is listening to another for a moment before he turns his attention back to gnome who had called roll.

"... If the expedition finds items of... Value, regardless of who finds them, will individual members have stakes in possible ownership?"

As Tob speaks Geden's gaze turns to him. Appraising the nature of the speaker's mechanical nature. It is not of our design... Though possibly based on it. While sympathetic and eager to study Geden's unique situation the gnomes in turn been rather dodgy about possible solutions or the research they were undoubtedly been performing. And yet here they were going to flaunt the product of it right before his eyes...

"Perhaps not the very front but certainly the spearpoint of our formation I might think."

(ooc: Wow the formatting of this page got screwed up. Its even larger than my 1600x900 monitor :smallbiggrin:)

Archmage1
2013-09-24, 05:39 PM
Thalen looks at his companions, wondering how the chief Gnome was going to respond to his questions, and thinks.
A machine-gnome. I have never seen anything like it! Wonder where it came from. And how it could survive in the world, or anywhere that there is not combat. Those two armored warriors... they look like pretty standard guards, although most women don't wear such armor. Or have skeletons that follow them. Creepy. Wonder what brought them here, on this adventure. The dwarf... maybe we will need some mining expertise... perhaps he can give me some advice on shoring up tunnels, although what I would use that for, I don't know. And the metal man... he, too must have some story. Compared to them, I am normal. And that is something that I never thought I would think again. Stupid gauntlet... Wish I had never touched it.

As normal, as he thinks, whispers in a strange language reach his ears, not that the others notice them, and not that he can actually understand them.

OhMyGodImOnFire
2013-09-24, 05:40 PM
Moyra

Standing amidst the assortment of hired hands, the hellbred looks over each of those present with an appraising eye as the gnome speaks. A half-giant svirfneblin; a dwarf of questionable cleanliness; two humans, one of celestial descent, one of likely considerable martial prowess, but otherwise ordinary. This last one, however... Curious, Moyra turns to the one named Geden, studying him up and down. His detailed human features indicate he could not be a simple warforged, born in war, tempered in battle. Yet the armor attached to him, in addition to his fluid yet mechanical motions, indicates otherwise. Only time will tell.

Upon the end of the gnome's speech, Moyra simply nods. "No questions," she replies, waving her skeletal goblin forward. Approaching, the undead hands his mistress her bag, from which she produces a crystalline shard of the deepest red. "Thank you, dear Martin," she says softly, handing the bag back, the spellshard already floating in her other hand as she peers into its contents. I wonder if any of these gentlemen have worthwhile spells for my archival, she thinks, noting offhandedly the apparently lack of double X chromosomes in the immediate vicinity.

Gnarnia
2013-09-24, 06:41 PM
Delgar (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=658776)

The scraggly haired dwarf spits a shower of ale into the air as he jumps up in protest.

"What in tarnation?! Why do ye have me in here with the guards instead of with the scientists??? I'm supposed to stand around like hired help while someone else gets to do all the geologizin?

Just because I ain't too lazy to swing my own pickaxe don't mean I ain't got nuthin' to offer besides me muscles!"

RFLS
2013-09-24, 06:46 PM
"We're going underground, right? Do you know how far we are going, or anything about the route? Or even what the scientists are bringing?"

"...yes, underground. Nobody knows anything about what's down there, so no, we don't know how far you'll be going. The scientists are bringing all manner of devices, gizmos, and, well, really, really heavy stuff, which is all you should be worried about."

"... If the expedition finds items of... Value, regardless of who finds them, will individual members have stakes in possible ownership?"

The gnome sighs, rubbing his forehead. "Depends on what it is. However, if it has any scientific or cultural value whatsoever, it's the property of the expedition's financiers."

Delgar"What in tarnation?! Why do ye have me in here with the guards instead of with the scientists??? I'm supposed to stand around like hired help while someone else gets to do all the geologizin?

Just because I ain't too lazy to swing my own pickaxe don't mean I ain't got nuthin' to offer besides me muscles!"

The gnome looks a bit flabbergasted at the outburst, but quickly recovers himself. "It was felt that your...prospecting expertise....would be better utilized at the front of the expedition, before the other members could trample the cave floor to dust."

Archmage1
2013-09-24, 06:54 PM
Thalen smiles at the nameless gnome's statement. So he would be the first one! Well, if he could go first, anyway.
"Excellent. Exploring... going somewhere that you know you are the first one to see... that has that special something. Although... not sure how much carrying I can do. Strength has never been my strong suit. Endurance, speed, somewhat, but never strength."
Thalen turns to Delgar, amazement on his face.
"Delgar, right? Going with the guards... you will get the oppertunity to be first! And that is worth it all. And prospecting experience? Maybe you could teach me a thing or two..."

Gnarnia
2013-09-24, 06:57 PM

"Oh... yes... well rightly so lad. Lead field scientist, that does makes more sense, I'll take the job. Very sorry fer snappin at ya like that, ye just had me worried I'd be standin around lookin for goblins all day while some elf in a white coat tries to figure out the difference between a raw diamond and a lump of coal.

Ye hear that, Chunk? They want me out in front to make sure dwarven eyes get a look at these rocks first. That's some respect.""

With his disposition greatly cheered, the dwarf begins shuffling around the room and greeting each of you. "Delgar Darkhammer, lead field scientist, nice to meet ya."

He stops in front of Geden and whistles appreciatively, squinting with one eye as he looks him up and down, his shield in particular. His demeanor is quite complimentary, if also a little creepy. "Now ain't you a beaut! Very fine, very fine indeed. Someone loved you they did. You're no factory line assembly job, are you? No sir, no sir. I will guard you I will. No dishonor in that, no sir. Heh heh."

Gnarnia
2013-09-24, 07:09 PM

Delgar turns to Thalen, "I'll be glad to teach ye, lad. And if ye need help carryin' anything you just let me know. I'm built like a mule (and people say I smell like one too, hee hee).

Ain't nothin like swingin a pickaxe to build ye up some muscles. You spend some time down in the mines with me and you'll have yer pick of the women in no time. Sure, they mgiht be dwarven women, but when yer my age ye'll appreciate a woman who can brew her own beer just as well as she can punch orcs in the face."

((because I know the guy with 20 Cha wants dating advice from the guy with 4 cha))

Archmage1
2013-09-24, 07:18 PM
Cha 20, but not incredibly handsome. Just an almost magnetic quality about his personality, and a clear, driving goal.

Thalen brightens, quietly replying to Delgar.
"That would be wonderful! I have spent some time in caves, but I had no way to judge if they would fall, and no way to handle collapsed sections. Thanks."

Thalen politely ignores the last bit.

Gnarnia
2013-09-24, 10:51 PM

"Heh, I've got another question. Do you have any kinda company store where we can spend some of our initial payment. I already burnt through most of my coin travellin' down here, but there's a few more things I could use if yer throwin some gold our way right now. Ain't nothin fancy."

userpay
2013-09-25, 01:10 AM
Geden nods at the gnomes response to his query. "Understandable... I just wanted to be sure ahead of time. There are... Well suffice to say there are some bits of knowledge that I hope we might come across that I would be interested in."

He stops in front of Geden and whistles appreciatively, squinting with one eye as he looks him up and down, his shield in particular. His demeanor is quite complimentary, if also a little creepy. "Now ain't you a beaut! Very fine, very fine indeed. Someone loved you they did. You're no factory line assembly job, are you? No sir, no sir. I will guard you I will. No dishonor in that, no sir. Heh heh."

Geden stares down at the dwarf for a moment before raising his eyes to the rest of the group. "...I honestly can't tell whether he's talking about me or the armor."

RFLS
2013-09-25, 06:41 AM
"Heh, I've got another question. Do you have any kinda company store where we can spend some of our initial payment. I already burnt through most of my coin travellin' down here, but there's a few more things I could use if yer throwin some gold our way right now. Ain't nothin fancy."

"Yes, yes, three rows down, last tent on the right or left, depending on if you want arms and armor or some basic magic items. Is that all? I really do need to go." The gnome looks pointedly at his pocket watch.

Gnarnia
2013-09-25, 07:35 AM

Thanks lad!

Delgar stomps off towards the store, and comes back later with tons of rope, climbing gear, pitons, water, trail rations, torches, and other spelunking goods. All together you'd estimate that he's carrying well over a hundred pounds of items, but doesn't seem bothered by the weight.

"Always come prepared, heh heh. I'm ready when you lot are."

(just a bunch of mundane adventuring equipment I forgot to pick up because I spent all my WBL on shiny magic items).

Archmage1
2013-09-25, 07:41 AM
After Delgar leaves, Thalen responds to Geden's statement.
"I don't think he sees any difference between the two, which is a little... odd, really. Now, does anyone mind if I take the lead, and scout ahead as we move?"

AngryCyc
2013-09-25, 08:09 AM
Tob

"In these caves..? You ever been in caves before, boy? I'm glad to see you're not afraid to head into the dark alone, but maybe you should leave the first steps to someone who has been living in places like this for ten times your total lifespan... You wouldn't even know what to be looking for down here and then next thing you know, you've trounced across the tracks of some mighty beasty that could've given the rest of us some warning about what we're walking into... No no, you should stick near the others and let me do the scoutin' ahead. At least until you've learned these cave systems a bit more."

Archmage1
2013-09-25, 08:14 AM
Thalen seems quite prepared to argue this point, as he really wants to go first, even if he is not the best choice for the job. It is never as fun to se something that someone else has seen first.
"I have spent time in caves, limestone ones, before. At least in these ones, I won't need to keep track of the tides. There is no need for you to risk your ancient bones. Besides, if something does go wrong, the others will need the most experienced dungeoneer they can to handle things. Or you could come along as well, and teach me what I need to know. Learning by doing is almost always the best way to learn something."

AngryCyc
2013-09-25, 08:41 AM
Tob

"Hmf. Only if you stay out of my way and listen to what I tell you... no playing hero in this outfit. That'll get you, AND the rest of us killed..."

Archmage1
2013-09-25, 08:42 AM
Thalen smiles. He would be able to go first!
"Playing hero? Me? I wouldn't say that I am insane enough to try that, and if I don't listen, how could I learn?"

OhMyGodImOnFire
2013-09-25, 09:02 AM
Moyra

Watching the gnome and boy bicker, Moyra could not help but smile beneath her helmet, stroking Martin's smooth skull. It seems your talents shall go unused once again, she thinks in amusement; a light rattle of bones indicates Martin's equally entertained response, though he emits no other sound.

One thing Moyra has learned throughout her travels is the utility, and indeed the disposability, of undead minions. Not only is this known to her, it is known to the minions themselves - mindless though they are, some small yet-independent part of them understands that their purpose is simply to serve as its master decrees, no matter how gruesome the outcome. Moyra remains silent, instead eying Geden, appraising his condition as more and more pieces of his particular puzzle fall into place.

Jötunn
2013-09-25, 09:33 AM
The apparently mildly bored man is in fact sweating slightly beneath his armor, nervous despite himself. Barely a human in sight. At least he'll be relatively easy to find amongst all of this. He watches the others question the harried gnome but remains quiet himself, not quite yet wanting to be drawn into the conversation.

It is only once the group starts discussing their roles that he interjects: "I'm more than happy to let you take point" - here he gestures at Tob, the gnomish creature - "and for you two to scout ahead - that isn't really what I'm good at. I guess I'll just hang around and support those who need it." His tone is slightly off-hand, as if he's just letting the others know rather than putting it up for discussion.

Archmage1
2013-09-26, 06:02 AM
Thalen, having finished his conversations, for now, although there would be plenty of time for more later, looks around, wondering what would happen next.

RFLS
2013-09-26, 10:46 AM
Expedtion Base Camp:

The gnome directs you towards various facilities about the base camp for mundane supplies, potions, and scrolls, as well as armorers and the like. Gathering his papers, he rushes off, muttering about eggheads.

Archmage1
2013-09-26, 11:01 AM
Thalen nods.
"Right then. Spending gold... or not."
He wanders around, looking at the various tasks being accomplished by the hirelings of the expedition, what the merchants have to sell, that sort of thing.

Gnarnia
2013-09-26, 05:04 PM
Delgar

As Delgar waits for the group to be shuttled off to the caverns, he addresses the other guards. "So, not all of ye look like yer used to spelunkin. What brought ye down here for this venture?"

Archmage1
2013-09-26, 05:16 PM
Thalen smiles, thinking that he was one of those that Delgar was addressing.
"Adventure. What else?"

Gnarnia
2013-09-26, 05:46 PM
Delgar

"Aye lad, I'm sure we'll be findin that in spades. I 'eard these caverns ain't natural... that the stone's already been worked by somethin's hands. Who knows if we'll be alone once we get down there. Adventure indeed!"

Archmage1
2013-09-26, 05:54 PM
"Exploring caverns that were last seen thousands of years ago? I have always loved exploring! The chance to see what has not been seen, the ability to go places that have not seen the tread of man for centuries... Who could pass it up?"

Archmage1
2013-09-26, 08:57 PM
Thalen, in his shopping, gets a bit distracted, and purchases some books, some charcoal, to char his armor, some charms that are promised to reduce the noise of his steps, a pretty necklace, and a crystal, suitable for focusing the will.

Buying 6 books of knowledges, and tools of umd, diplo, hide, move silently
Finally!!! off of page 1. No more gigantic browser!

RFLS
2013-09-26, 10:28 PM
The Next Day

Night comes, and silence falls about the camp. The last supplies are stowed, ready for the morning, and the camp sleeps. When day breaks, so does the camp. All told, there are nearly forty members on the expedition. Nothing is taken in on vehicles; your equipment and supplies are to be carried by hand. The expedition enters the largest of the tunnels yet found, and begins following it, as planned. The tunnel slopes gently downwards, and a cool breeze rises out of it.

The stonework of the tunnel is clearly shaped by hands. Mortar and stones make the walls; the floor is cobbled. Plantlife, mostly fungi of some variety or other, lines the walls and pushes through the floor. It's clear that no one has lived here in a long time.

The stonework is strangely shaped, and reminds you of nothing you've seen.

Archmage1
2013-09-27, 06:04 AM
Leading the way in front of the party, talking with Delgar on occasion, Thalen is quite glad to be off, and he has never seen anything like the architecture on display(despite the lack of a dc 20 architecture check). He is glad that, at long last, they have gotten started.

Gnarnia
2013-09-27, 07:21 AM
Delgar

Delgar walks beside Thalen, moving at a slower pace than usual (20' move instead of 40') as he examines the stonework as they move along. He chats incessantly, though most of it is a little dull as he goes into detail about the various types of rock used in the cobblestone flooring and where they come from.

He carries in hand a massive, long-handled axe, its blade fashioned from black metal, held at the ready in case of trouble.

Delgar will be performing tracking checks as they move (+14) to keep an eye out for any fresh tracks that might indicate other creatures nearby.

Archmage1
2013-09-27, 07:40 AM
As they walk and talk, Thalen asks incisive questions, trying to learn as much as he can about caving before they get too much deeper. He looks around, just taking in the sights as they walk. If the lack of light is an issue, he does not show it.

userpay
2013-09-27, 05:32 PM
As the group moves down the tunnel a whispered word from Geden brings a soft globe of light into existence just above shoulder level. Otherwise the armored man says little while he examines the brickwork that they pass by, eyes narrowed. In hand is both his shield and warhammer, the latter held loosely but ready for use.

I don't suppose this brickwork looks familiar in Geden's/Caz's case...?

Anyway even if Geden is distracted Caz is keeping an "eye" out with a spot bonus of +13. Low Light Vision.

AngryCyc
2013-09-27, 05:42 PM
Tob

Tob rides slightly ahead of the others, flying through the air on top of his Dire Bat. He only stares at the stonework long enough to notice it isn't trapped, and then resumes observing everything else ahead. His bat also knows to be on the lookout for any sort of life, or movement, or... anything that isn't cave.

Occasionally he flies out faster, ahead of everyone else in the group, going a good hundred feet out into the darkness, then just hovers in the air... listening, and waiting. 10 seconds of that, and he flies back to join the group, giving gruff reports such as:
"There's some hidey-holes round that bend... be on the lookout for ambush..."
"Air feels fresher down further. Might be another tunnel joining up soon"
"...thought I heard something. Still think I heard something."

Once he even stopped the entire expedition to spend 10 minutes trying to coax out a subterranean threat from what happened to merely a trickle of water dripping down from the ceiling up ahead. He flew ahead, scouted everything, flew back behind the expedition muttering things about "...being followed... ambushed on both sides...", before eventually the tempers of everyone else forced him to admit there was probably nothing there...

Archmage1
2013-09-28, 11:07 AM
When Geden creates the light, Thalen, at some point, looks behind, seeing it, and winces. Why did he need such a bright light... There was plenty of light here.
When Tob flies overhead, Thalen looks at him, and is sad, as he gets to be first.

Gnarnia
2013-09-28, 12:18 PM
Delgar

Delgar, squinting as well, nudges Thalen. "Just be glad it ain't rainin guano, lad. Heh heh."

Archmage1
2013-09-28, 12:23 PM
Shaking his head, Thalen continues looking around, alertly.

"Yea... that would be... bad."

Jötunn
2013-09-29, 05:15 PM
Colm stands towards the middle of the group, watching with some interest as Tob flies over the group, and as the others perform their chosen roles. All he's had a chance to do in this life is learn how to fight and kill or die, and he finds watching those of a different burden love out their lives - especially such a motley crew as this one. To Colm the diversity of this crew and their talents is facinating.

Speaking of talents, he'd best prepare.

Colm stops for a moment and lifts out a rod-like crystal from a belt pouch, letting the group flow around him as he concentrates. He gathers up his anger and rage - plenty of that around these days - into a tight white little pain, then while holding the blade in a knight's salute lets the emotion sweep up and out into the blade.

His control never wavers despite the wild energies invoked by using emotion in such a way, and a coating of silvery green ectoplasm forms on his sword. He gently swings it, noting that as he does so the coating forms a sharp edge on the leading side yet leaving a trail that dissolves on the other - as it should be.

This done, he hurries to catch up with the group.

Colm is using Wild Surge +3 on Metaphysical Weapon from his runestaff. He has a 15% chance of enervation, so 3 or less on this d20:

[roll0]

He is spending 6 power points, plus three from the surge, to augment it twice, making his weapon +2 for 11 hours a level.

I will edit in the resulting fluff (depending on whether he enervates or not.

Thokk_Smash
2013-09-30, 10:04 AM
In his travel through the group, Tiberius notices one man stop moving. He moves as if to help before realizing that the man is simply performing a ritual of some kind. The medic watches, intrigued by the ectoplasm that forms on the man's sword. This man must be part of the expedition's guards.

Speaking of, Tiberius decides that he should pay the vanguard bodyguards a little visit. They are the most likely to become injured, after all, and introducing himself to them could only help in the long run.

He moves forward a bit faster than the group, aiming to catch up with the front. One person catches his interest...a man with swords attached to his arms? Riding a dire bat, no less. The logistics of the hands intrigue him, and so he chooses that man as his first inspection.

Or rather, he would, if the man would stay still. Zipping in the air like a mad rabbit, he thinks that it would be best to speak with another guard, and leave the man for later. He notes a dwarf male with a pickaxe speaking with a human male, and moves to speak with them. He feels a small, inconsequential pull take his mind as his eyes fall on the brown-haired human, but he dismisses it as nerves on the expedition.

He walks up to them and coughs to get their attention, gold eyes friendly. Hello there. I am Tiberius Vaerd, chief medic of this expedition; I'm here to make sure you all stay on your feet long enough to get that money you were promised, he jokes with a grin. Are you both feeling alright? Any unusual pains, or rashes that you can't explain?

Trying to get a bit of inter-party talking going. Archmage, I hope that the little feeling that Tiberius gets about your character isn't too much. Both being Lesser Aasimar, I figured he'd sense something, but it'd be too small to give a real reaction to.

Archmage1
2013-09-30, 11:19 AM
While walking along, talking with Delgar, Thalen hears footsteps behind him, but before he can take a look, he hears a cough, and he turns, seeing one of the scientists, a human, with silver hair, and gold eyes. Probably an old fellow. Thalen listens, politely, and winces internally, suspecting that Delgar would have quite a list of "issues"

He extends his hand, offering a handshake, effortlessly walking backwards.
"Nice to meet you, Tiberus. I'm Thalen."
At the joke, Thalen smiles, being polite. Alas, it was not much of a joke, but maybe medical people have different senses of humor.
"We can hope so. I am fine, no pain, rashes, or anything of that nature. I have been lucky enough to have never been severely injured, and knocked out for days, but if I am, hopefully, you can shorten the healing time."
He looks curiously at the old man, wondering why he did not have the requisite wrinkles, before glancing behind him, fitting the vista in his memory, so he could keep walking backwards.
"Say... would you know what the expedition is looking for? All I know is that we are going underground. Or maybe what brought you to join the expedition?

Thokk_Smash
2013-09-30, 11:36 AM
Tiberius takes the proffered hand and gives a firm shake. Good to hear you don't have any preexisting conditions, he says, still taking the time to look the man over for any physical signs of illness. The other man is looking at him curiously, but Tiberius has gotten used to it; not everyone is used to seeing bones literally jut out of a man's skin, after all.

As far as I know, the expedition is looking for anything of material, scientific, or arcane worth. Uncharted land, regardless of depth beneath the surface, is always a valuable commodity, I've found. And as for my reason for being here, I confess to it being curiosity. I had traveled pretty much all over Vaern, and had never traveled to the New Continent before. The expedition wanted my teacher, but he's gotten too old to travel, so I got the privilege of doing instead.

What's your reason for coming, Thalen? he asks, though he tries to look between the human and the dwarf equally as he speaks.

Archmage1
2013-09-30, 11:42 AM
And he thinks that he is not too old to travel? Wonder what he did to himself... Not my concern, really.

Thalen smiles as Tiberius explains his reasoning for why he is there, for those are the same reasons that Thalen was there as well. This expedition would be extremely fun.

"Pretty much the same thing. The chance to see new things, things that no one has ever seen before. The money is nice, as well, since I want to fund a rescue, which will be expensive. This will be extremely interesting, a chance to learn, and hopefully, quite fun. Did your teacher run a medical establishment, or something similar?"

Thokk_Smash
2013-09-30, 11:57 AM
Tiberius nods after returning his gaze to Thalen. He had a fairly successful establishment running in my hometown; he was my doctor when I was just a child, and inspired me to become a doctor myself. He loved to travel, though, and so he took me along on his trips. He's always complaining about not being able to see the friends he'd made over the years, but he writes and keeps in touch with them well enough.

What do you do for a living, outside of this expedition, Thalen? Something pertaining to geology, perhaps?

Archmage1
2013-09-30, 12:01 PM
Thalen nods, recognizing how much Tiberius respected his mentor. He had no similar influence, as he had spent most of his life taking the risks no one else would.

"That sounds like it would have been very interesting. Outside of this expedition, I worked on an airship, the Aero, under captain Xander."
He smiles, wryly.
"I suppose that is a bit different from caving. Don't worry, though, I have spent time in caves in the past, and my skill set is quite varied. You work as a doctor normally, right?"

AngryCyc
2013-09-30, 03:10 PM
Tob

Tob flies up and sees some of the folks in conversation... He listens in a bit and then asks "Any of you fellas had much experience with aberrations or oozes? How bout dragons? There are things here down in the dark... Ancient, cursed things... The kind that haunt you even if you kill them. Hmm? Had much experience with that sort of thing?"

Archmage1
2013-09-30, 03:14 PM
Making sure that Tob is not flying directly overhead, Thalen tries to respond, his voice calm, despite the fear-mongering.
"Not really. I have read a bit, and I saw a wyvern once, at least, I thought it was a wyvern, but no dragons, only one curse, no other strange things. Still, it all seemed simple enough to deal with, although, I am not sure if we could carry enough salt to deal with oozes..."

Thokk_Smash
2013-09-30, 03:22 PM
Tiberius nods, walking to stand alongside Thalen to allow the other man to walk forward and not backward. I became my teacher's partner in his practice back home, yeah. Occasionally I traveled to find a particularly rare herb or ointment; some of them growing in caves deep beneath the ground, so I'm not unfamiliar with caverns such as this. You learn a bit of everything when you travel around a country.

When Tob flies over with his question, Tiberius cranes his head to try and catch a better glimpse of the man. Oh, aye, I've fought dragons, he says. I've worked out a thing or two to keep them from being too dangerous; you learn a few things after dissecting a freshly-killed dragon, after all. I've run into just about anything that you can run into; gathered a bit of each, too. Got em right in my pack if any of you is curious.

Archmage1
2013-09-30, 03:26 PM
Thalen nods, agreeing with Tiberius.
"Traveling does teach you a lot about life. Seeing new things, though... that is the real reason to travel."
Listening to Tiberius's answer to Tob, Thalen thinks about what he heard, not really liking it much.
So he really is an old fellow. That could make life interesting, but he might be able to keep up. But keeping bits of all the things he has killed... that's just crazy.

AngryCyc
2013-09-30, 03:28 PM
"... Well. Hmm. I hope we will be safe. Freshly killed dragons huh? The ones I heard about, you don't wanna be the one killing them... They're just as dangerous to their killer as they were alive..."

Archmage1
2013-09-30, 03:30 PM
Thalen shakes his head at that statement.
"No, once you kill a dragon, it is dead. Becoming undead takes some time if the resulting creature is to be any more dangerous than the dragon itself. Now, there are other things that killing results in... difficulties, but dragons... not so much. Of course, I have never seen one, and this is based off of what I have read and heard, but it is probably accurate."

RFLS
2013-09-30, 06:47 PM
The Tunnels:

Eventually, miles of tunnels later, the expedition comes to a large archway, made of granite blocks. Strange, flowing runes cover the surface of the blocks, and a network of inlaid vines in various stones brackets the runes.

The archway opens into a vast cavern. A faint light illuminates it throughout, though the source is unclear. The cobblestones continue into the cavern, cracked and broken through years of disuse. Doorways are set about the face of the cavern, and in the center stands an ancient, long-dry fountain.

The expedition files in one at a time, marveling at the stonework of the long-gone civilization.

The runes are an alphabet as opposed to pictorial representation. There are 30 or so characters present.

The stonework is all cemented, belying a fairly advanced civilization, in some aspects, at least. The doorways are all built for a people that stand at about 5' 6" tall on average, with humanoid proportions.

There are fresh animal droppings in some of the corners. Large animal droppings.

The droppings are that of the remorhaz, a large, burrowing insect with a supernatural ability to generate intense heat.

They tend to either roam singly or nest in large numbers. There's more poop in the various corners and crannies than one of them could produce in a lifetime.

From within some of the doorways, you hear faint skittering and chattering.

Archmage1
2013-09-30, 07:09 PM
As they enter the cavern, ahead of the main group, Thalen stops suddenly, just taking in the amazing vista before them. The sheer size of the place, obviously carved long ago, and abandoned at some point, stuns him. This is a place that no one has seen for centuries, except for, momentarily, himself. The runes interest him, but as he looks at them, his eyes slip into the oversight, that strange thing that he could do ever since he found the gauntlet, letting him see the magic of the world, and he looks around, seeing the runes, among other things.
As he heads further inside, he almost hears something, on the scattered edges of his overwhelmed senses, but the gauntlet starts its whispers again, drowning it out. It couldn't have been important, anyway, and he looks around more, looking for the source of the light, leaning up against the dark stone, almost seeming to blend in.

Casting detect magic, sla.
Trying to hide(probably not, but worth a shot)
[roll0] hide [roll1] move silently
[roll2] spot
[roll3] spellcraft... which is untrained. Things to fix next level...

Not sure if they will be handy, but...
[roll4] The Planes
[roll5] Nature
[roll6] Arcana
[roll7] Dungeoneering
[roll8] Religion
[roll9] Local

AngryCyc
2013-09-30, 09:34 PM
[roll0]
Bat's listen [roll1]

Tob flies over on the bat to one of the doorways...where he here's some noises coming from. Observing the large piles of defecation, he gathers that there are critters living inside, and readies himself for battle... He casts Blur and positions himself just above the doorway, ready to leap down upon anything that moves through it.

See OoC

Gnarnia
2013-09-30, 11:32 PM
Delgar

He notes a dwarf male with a pickaxe speaking with a human male, and moves to speak with them. He feels a small, inconsequential pull take his mind as his eyes fall on the brown-haired human, but he dismisses it as nerves on the expedition.

He walks up to them and coughs to get their attention, gold eyes friendly. Hello there. I am Tiberius Vaerd, chief medic of this expedition; I'm here to make sure you all stay on your feet long enough to get that money you were promised, he jokes with a grin. Are you both feeling alright? Any unusual pains, or rashes that you can't explain?

"Ah, very nice to meet ye, I'm Delgar; Delgar Darkhammer. I'm a a bit of a medic meself, but since yer askin, and to be honest, me crack's been givin me a bit of trouble of lately."

Before you have a chance to avert your gaze, the dwarf's trousers are hiked down a couple of inches, exposing far more miner's crack than you ever wanted to see. His skin has a somewhat stony texture, and you can see that just above that other kind of crack, he has a small break in the skin where his backpack's been chafing him, nothing serious though, just a minor irritation.

"I'd check it out meself but dwarves ain't that flexible."

After the brief (but not brief enough) medical examination, Delgar continues on his way. Sometime later, as the group approaches the archway, his eyes are firmly planted on the ground.

"'old up, lads. There's fresh droppings here." He picks up a handful and sniffs at it. "Can't say I ever seen droppings like this before, so I couldn't tell ye what made 'em, but they're too soft and too fragrant to have been here long. We've got some critters movin about the place... big ones too judgin by the size of it."

Archmage1
2013-10-01, 06:21 AM
After Delgar points out that what he thought were stones were, in fact, droppings, Thalen thinks.
"Remorhaz. Not good. And a lot of them. Big insect like creatures. We should get out of here, or at least get the helpers and scientists back through the door."

[roll0] know: Arcana, identifying the monsters/knowledge devotion

Gnarnia
2013-10-01, 09:10 AM
Delgar

Seeing the others prepare for battle, Delgar chooses to do the same, chanting a dwarven prayer to the sturdiness of earth and stone. A glistening barrier of force appears around him, moving as he does.

Casting shield of faith. +3 Deflection bonus to AC for 8 minutes.

AwkwardTurtle
2013-10-01, 04:48 PM
There are 12 within 100 feet of us. I can feel their minds. They're hiding in the doors.

I activate my wand of shield, and get to the back of the party.

Jötunn
2013-10-01, 05:19 PM
The warning given by the other guards causes Colm to begin warm up exercises, limbering up for a fight. He concentrates once more, feeding that inner anger until it is a warmth that suffuses his whole body.

That done, he calls out to the others: "So, what do we need to know to fight these things? I've fought more men than monsters."

Spending 3 pp and surging vigor to give me 30 temporary hit points. 15% chance to enervate so three or less on this roll:
[roll0]

Archmage1
2013-10-01, 05:25 PM
Thalen looks surprised, and nervous.
"12, that close? This should be interesting. As for fighting Remorhaz... They can grab you, and then swallow you, which is bad. They are incredibly hot. Their skin can melt weapons, even magical ones, and it would not be plesant to touch. They like to ambush, so don't let them do that. They weigh around 10000 pounds, and are usually around 20 feet long."

He draws his sword, awkwardly holding it. Clearly, he does not have much, if any, training with it.

In other news, I did not take into account the lack of MWP when arming Thalen.

Gnarnia
2013-10-01, 06:03 PM
Delgar

"Welllll crap!"

Delgar straps his enchanted adamantine longaxe to his back again and draws a mundane mining pick instead, gripping it firmly in two hands.

"I'll be damned if I'm gonna lose me favorite axe to some overgrown firebug".

He casts a firm look at the gargoyle who's been bounding along behind him and it takes up a defensive posture next to Thalen

Lateral
2013-10-01, 08:07 PM
You all feel a slight pressure at the back of your minds, forming a clear formal request for entry, although you can discern no words.

The pressure expands outwards, creating a strange sensation throughout your nervous system, though it quickly fades to imperceptibility. At the same time, you hear a voice in the back of your mind, though there is clearly nobody speaking out loud.

This is Zara to Group A. I will be your tactical coordinator for the evening. For your information, I am capable of networking your injuries, preventing severe trauma to any one member of the party by distributing the wounds among the rest. This should help prevent any sudden deaths should we be ambushed, and will allow me to apply aid more effectively. If anyone should have any objections, please speak now; otherwise, I will be linking everyone except for Tiberius, Thalen, and Delgar, as I have been informed that they should be capable of caring for their own wounds easily enough.

OhMyGodImOnFire
2013-10-01, 08:28 PM
Moyra

The hellbred cautiously accepts the request, throwing up mental defenses as the pressure expands but lets them down after Zara introduces herself. Moyra, she sends back simply, trailing it with concise details about herself, should Group A require her specific skillset. Diviner. Summoner. Melee. Knowledge bank. She punctuates her train of thought with an assortment of images and intentions outlining the spells she had prepared for the day; a picture is worth a thousand words - even more so when communicating telepathically.

Feel free to look at the spells I've prepared on my character sheet, in case you need to know what I have prepared and/or are still available.

Archmage1
2013-10-01, 08:55 PM
Preparing for the battle to come, hoping that his skills would be sufficient to survive, Thalen is quite surprised to feel a pressure at his mind.
Less fortunately, such pressures are not new to him, although the request for entry is not expected. He responds, cautiously, not letting her fully into his mind, but into a sort of small box.
In that box, a desk, some inkpens, and some paper are present, with a note.
What do you want this time?

Lateral
2013-10-01, 09:11 PM
One of the pens lifts up from off the table and writes below your note:

My name is Zara. I am the assigned tactical coordinator for this expedition. We can continue to communicate like this, but you will be unable to benefit from my... skills until you are fully integrated into the collective.

You can also feel another request, and though it does not take the form of a clear thought, you can tell that it means:

Request elaboration: 'This time?' (Y/N)

YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED

RESISTANCE IS FUTILE

Archmage1
2013-10-01, 09:13 PM
The note seems to alter, the text flowing neatly to reform different words.

How do I know you are not it?

As the words form, the room seems to darken, seeming a little more dangerous than it was a moment before.

Lateral
2013-10-01, 09:16 PM
Request clarification: 'It'? (Y/N)

Gnarnia
2013-10-01, 09:48 PM
Delgar

"Is one of ye usin psionics or somethin? I feel like someone's tryin te get inside me head."

Delgar doesn't yet lower his mental defenses since he doesn't know what's going on

Archmage1
2013-10-01, 09:51 PM
The words continue to flow, the ink on the page somehow changing to perfectly reflect the amount needed.
"Yea, it. I didn't think you could speak anything that I could understand, but, apparently, you can. It won't work. Don't you think you have caused enough damage to my life already?"

AngryCyc
2013-10-01, 10:13 PM
Tob

Tob doesn't even second-guess the mental invasion, or even for that matter realize that he could have prevented it's penetration if he tried. As soon as any entry was attempted, success was achieved... though the results of such an intrusion would reveal a duality of minds occupying the same vessel as the spirit animating Tob's implants meshes with his own consciousness...

Lateral
2013-10-01, 11:05 PM
Ah. I believe what we have here is a failure to communicate. Speak to the others, I've already contacted them. My primary employer is Kikirokars, the kobold with wings; you may wish to confirm with her. Whoever or whatever you believe me to be, I am not; I assure you, we have never met before.

Now Zara's interested, so yeah, mindreading time. Will DC 21, and if you succeed you're automatically aware of it.

...Interesting. Golem grafts?

AngryCyc
2013-10-01, 11:19 PM
Tob

Hearing the... voice-thought, Tob looks back at the rest of the group (though he isn't actually quite sure where the voice is coming from) and then looks down at the swords-that-are-where-his-arms-should-be, and then looks back up at the group with a very disdainful look on his face.

userpay
2013-10-02, 12:40 AM
As the call for danger goes up and down the column Geden shakes himself and looks at the scene again. Paying attention to what is said. When the pressure comes to his head the man considers, then lets it in with both he and Caz poised to block further intrusion if necessary.

"... Greetings. Given the potential value of this contact I have no issues with it... For now."

(ooc: You may or may not feel another presence in Geden's mind from Caz, not sure how your bit works off the top of my head in terms of detecting others in someones head.)

Archmage1
2013-10-02, 06:01 AM
Perhaps... I will see about verifying your identity then.

Zara finds herself shunted out of the room, and out of his mind, as Thalen turns to the others.

When the attempt at mind reading is made, You are unable to gain entry into his mind. What you see is a barrier, somewhat chaotic, but clearly, a barrier, meant to keep outside influences out. It does not look complete, but the gaps seem to fill as you seek entry.

Suddenlt, seemingly out of nowhere, Thalen speaks up.
"Say... would any of you know a Zara? It is claiming to be a member of the group, but without more proof of that than its word, I am not going to accept that. It also tried to force her way in, which is not acceptable."

Gnarnia
2013-10-02, 06:34 AM
Delgar

"Sorry lad, I'm not understandin'. Who's forcin their way in where?"

Archmage1
2013-10-02, 06:38 AM
"Something called Zara just tried to force itself into my mind. It claimed to be working for the dragonwrought kobold, but then it tried to force its way into my mind."

Jötunn
2013-10-02, 07:03 AM
Colm accepts the touch of her mind quickly and easily, as though he's done it before. Seems we share a gift, although mine isn't quite as... refined. Seems like you've pissed someone off here though - let me help, he sends.
"Zara, you said? She and I go way back, although she can be a mite inquisitive at times, she's generally trustworthy - unless you've got something to hide, that is."

Colm smiles somewhat smugly at Thalen, while running through a mental and physical checklist in order to be ready for the coming fight.

Now - I'm a warrior with a bit of a wild gift like yours, so hopefully we can work together well. These remorhaz could be tricky, but keep me alive and maybe I'll consider that favor you now owe me payed for in full. I'd also appreciate it if you didn't delve any deeper for the moment - everyone has their private memories, you know?
Current PP total: 59
Metaphysical Weapon (+2 weapon) with presumably a good number of hours left on it on my bastard sword.
Vigor (+30thp) for the next 10 and a bit minutes.

I presume those will both last for the entirety of the fight and so won't bother to count them in later rounds, if I do use any powers measured in rounds.

Archmage1
2013-10-02, 07:38 AM
Thalen looks surprised.
"You know her? And she is not an entity that you have never encountered before?"

Gnarnia
2013-10-02, 09:29 AM
Delgar

Delgar looks around, trying to figure out who or what these people are talking about.

Jötunn
2013-10-02, 09:55 AM
"Yes, of course. Why would I lie? More importantly, these remorhaz bearing down on us? You say they melt weapons?"

You *are* actually who you say you are, right? It would be nice to have some intelligent conversation out here, and finding and killing you would probably be a pain. Not to mention awkward. after I've claimed to know you in front of everyone.
Colm tilts his head as if concentrating on something - such as a voice in his head - and then shrugs and waits for Thalen's response.

Archmage1
2013-10-02, 09:59 AM
"Then why would she try and force her way into my mind... Maybe if she explained... If it is even a she..."

Thalen considers this, but as the question about the remorhaz is asked, he responds.
"Yes, they will melt weapons. They should be able to take a few hits, but they would need to be repaired afterwards."

Lateral
2013-10-02, 02:46 PM
Much obliged. Don't worry, he is simply overreacting- I was only searching for a definition of what this 'it' he keeps thinking I am is.

You are overreacting. All I did was search for memories about this 'it' you seem to be confusing me for and yet refusing to tell me about. If you think that whatever this 'it' is could be here with us, then it is a danger to this expedition and to my employer.

Now would you let me in already? You have your confirmation, and putting effort into this simulation is taxing my ability to aid the others.

Archmage1
2013-10-02, 02:51 PM
"I am overreacting? An unknown entity comes in, and claims to be friendly, before it tries to access my mind without my permission. 'It' can indeed be here, if I let it, and if it cares enough to do so. However, you seem to be not it, which makes you, potentially, trustworthy."
The ink pauses for a moment.
"If you ever try and access my mind again without permission, you will not like the results."

You note the door opening, allowing you in.

RFLS
2013-10-04, 10:31 AM
Inside your defensive circle, you hear the various arcanists and technicians muttering among themselves. Something's up, and the remorhaz sound spooked. Not one of the remorhaz leaves their hidey holes....

Archmage1
2013-10-04, 10:34 AM
Thalen mutters to himself, looking around at the open doorways.
"They should have attacked by now..."
He turns, looking back at the scientists.
"Do any of you know why the remhoraz have not attacked? They should have, by now."

AngryCyc
2013-10-04, 10:42 AM
Tob

Tob grows anxious waiting for something to happen. He starts stealthily flying his way into the door he had been ready to ambush... looking around to see what had happened.

RFLS
2013-10-04, 10:47 AM
Looking in, not one of the remorhaz is present. There's nothing but a large pile of stones and a tunnel out the back of the small...home, from the looks of it.

Go over to the Scientist thread until combat is over.

RFLS
2013-10-04, 03:22 PM
Delgar

"By the Gods! The carnage!" At first you think Delgar taken aback by the corpses of the miners which have been now torn to bloodied bits and chunks of flesh, but as you follow his eyes, you realize he's staring squarely at the ruins of the stone fountain.

"How long had that stood... so lovingly crafted by hands long gone. How long had that stone slept and dreamt of once more bringing lifegiving water from the depths to those who lived here. You'll pay for this, beast.

You'll pay... dearly."

Delgar drops his mining pick to the ground and draws his longaxe. His muscles tighten their grip, his veins pulsing as he flies into a rage over the destruction of the ancient stonework fountain. GRRRAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Free action to drop heavy pick
Draw longaxe as part of movement
Double move behind the dragon if he can make it that far, otherwise he'll stop alongside the thing (can move up to 80' in a double move). He'll be stopping 10 feet distant from the Dragon (he plans on using power attack which will push the longaxe up to 10' reach instead of 5')
Free action to enter berzerk rage (let's assume he completes entering his range sometime after he draws the attack of opportunity :))

Rage effects: +4 CON, +4 STR, +2 morale on will saves (superceded by the morale bonus he got from someone's group buff), -2 AC (stupid armor check penalties, grrr).

Also, Chunk continues guarding thalen

*ahem*

Scientist Thread.

RFLS
2013-10-15, 01:52 PM
The Cavern:

The massive wyrm shudders its last as the touch of cold iron drains it of its vitality. As you watch, though, something strange begins to happen....

The flesh melts from the linnorm's bones, shriveling into nothing, leaving only a skeleton behind. No organs, no blood, no....anything, but the clean, white bones.

Make a Will save, DC 22, or become vulnerable to fire.

If you're intent on raising it, here's (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/dragons/linnorm/linnorm-crag) its stat block. Set up a character sheet on myth-weavers for it, and rebuild it using 3.5 rules. Remember that it will lose a lot as a skeleton.

Extra text because the forum's silly.

Archmage1
2013-10-15, 01:55 PM
Thalen's eyes go wide indeed as he sees the destruction of the Linnorm, which was unlike anything he has seen before.

"That was... unique. And rather deadly."
He addresses the leader of the NPC's.
"Is there anything we can do for the fallen? We need to keep moving, as the Rehmoraz will be back soon, I suspect."

AngryCyc
2013-10-15, 02:47 PM
Tob

Tob calls out, "I gotta go check something real quick... hopefully that was the only one of them and I'll be back in just a minute, but......"

And then he starts descending down into the tunnel that the linnorm had just clawed its way up through. He flies hastily on his bat's back, scouting the area to see if there is anything worth seeing from where it came.

Gnarnia
2013-10-16, 05:51 PM
Delgar

As his strength starts to return, Delgar wanders over to the remnants of the stone fountain and examines them mournfully.

userpay
2013-10-16, 08:46 PM
The thread dealt with Geden examines his shield, waving off Tiberius as he comes to check on his injuries. Injuries which are already fading. "Hmm... Didn't someone say something about there being something in the archway...?"

Archmage1
2013-10-16, 08:55 PM
Thalen, still looking for the gnome leader, heads over to Geden, hoping to answer his question.
"You mean those runes?"
Thalen points out the runes on the archway that they had entered through.
"Not sure what they mean, but they certainly mean something."

Jötunn
2013-10-17, 07:49 AM
Colm takes a few swings at the dead linnorm as it dissolves, before flicking the dragon's blood off his blade.

"A bit of a disappointing start to the expedition, don't you think?" he says loudly and sulkily to no one in particular, upset that he had scored no great damage to the beast.

At Geden and Thalen's conversation, he turns and glances briefly at the runes before turning away - his strong suit not being scholar's work, after all. He sits, while most everyone else is still recovering from the attack, watching for remorhaz and sharpening his blade on a whetstone.

RFLS
2013-10-18, 10:53 AM
Minutes pass; wounds are healed. Little by little, the expedition recovers itself. Some of the scribes and scientists, those not needed for medical help, begin examining the ruins. One of them pokes mournfully through the ruins of the fountain.

The miners, meanwhile, spread out through the cavern, examining the stonework and tapping walls with their picks. There is no sign of the remorhaz.

Archmage1
2013-10-18, 10:56 AM
Thalen heads over to the fallen scientist, sad that they had all failed to protect her. He focuses his mind, and looks at the items she was carrying, determining if any are magical, and identifying them as needed.

RFLS
2013-10-24, 08:11 AM
Digger:

The etching, and, on closer examination, the entire fountain piece, seem as though they were formed out of the rock as one piece. The etching isn't same as the writing around the arch. Instead, it's pictographic in nature - and seems to have humanoid figures about the rim.

Thalen:

You carefully search the door, inspecting every inch of its length. Finally, you come to the conclusion that it's untrapped, and gently tap it open with a finger, breath held. Nothing happens.

The room beyond the door is a little different than the others. Cleaner, for starters. Some of the furniture is still present. A bed, a chair. Very...ordinary. There's a chest at the foot of the bed; made of the same hardwood, and bound with iron. There's no lock on the chest.

Archmage1
2013-10-24, 08:43 AM
As he finishes his search, Thalen realizes that there is probably nothing there, and then, opens the door, carefully.
As he sees the interior, he pauses.
"Odd. The rest of this place is in ruins, but this room seems to be intact. Perhaps there is some magic here. Can you imagine what we might find here, in a room untouched for centuries?"
As he announces this, he extends the gauntlet, and the strange runes that adorn it start to glow a dull reddish orange.(Detect Magic)

AngryCyc
2013-10-24, 09:41 AM
Tob

As everyone goes about their business, Tob continues flying around the cavern, keeping a steady patrol on the entire area. He flies up to a couple walls and taps on then with his sworms, knocking to determine if they are hollow, and then moves on.

He flies by each group of people active with their tasks and hovers for 10-30 seconds, before heading off again.

OhMyGodImOnFire
2013-10-24, 10:44 AM
Moyra

While the others go about their work, Moyra conducts her own grim business. "You will have a friend soon, Martin," she says quietly to her goblin skeleton, which almost seems to purr as she strokes its smooth skull. Knowing her intent, it reaches into her bag and pulls out a pouch, heavy with onyx gems. Pouring all but a few of them into her hand, Moyra sets about placing them in the linnorms mouth. Making sure no one would interfere with her casting, Moyra begins. The flesh that remained upon the beast immediately sloughed off, falling into the shaft below. In contrast, as the onyx glowed then sputtered, the wyrm's skeleton tightened, and a low rumbling emanated from its ribcage. As she ends her spell, Moyra stares into the creature's skull, the red of her own eyes slowly reflecting in the linnorm's own eye sockets.

"Welcome to the family."

The linnorm's sheet (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=683503), for anyone interested.

Thokk_Smash
2013-10-24, 01:13 PM
Tiberius' only response to the creation of the undead skeleton is an annoyed huff. Well, at least someone got some use out of that creature's corpse, he thinks sullenly, still cross about botching the retrieval of the linnorm's eyes.

Looking around, he spies Kiki and walks over to her. Lady Diamondpick, Thalen he says to catch their attention, nodding at both in turn. I see that you have both discovered something, but is the inspection of the area nearing completion? As the expedition's head medic, it is my professional opinion that remaining near an apparent nest of remorhaz is counter-conducive to the expedition's general well-being. He smiles wryly as he says this. Then again, what lies ahead may be just as bad, I suppose. Only one way to find out, of course.

Archmage1
2013-10-24, 02:10 PM
Thalen, his concentration mostly taken by the gauntlet, nods in return to Tiberius's greeting, but clearly, whatever he is doing requires a fair amount of concentration to maintain.

RFLS
2013-10-24, 02:16 PM
Thalen:

Nothing in the room is magical; not even slightly.

Sorry >.<

Archmage1
2013-10-24, 02:21 PM
After a few more moments, Thalen nods, slowly.
"Nothing magical left here, now, but there may be something in this room."
He smiles momentarily, looking at Tiberious.
"Could end up being a good thing that you are here, if I miss something, and someone was feeling nasty."
With no further words, he heads into the room, looking around alertly, and heads for the chest, stopping to examine it, before opening it up.

taking 10 on search, for a 24. Searching for traps as he goes.
[roll0] know: nature, trying to identify the wood

Gnarnia
2013-10-26, 12:00 PM
Moyra

While the others go about their work, Moyra conducts her own grim business. "You will have a friend soon, Martin," she says quietly to her goblin skeleton, which almost seems to purr as she strokes its smooth skull. Knowing her intent, it reaches into her bag and pulls out a pouch, heavy with onyx gems. Pouring all but a few of them into her hand, Moyra sets about placing them in the linnorms mouth. Making sure no one would interfere with her casting, Moyra begins. The flesh that remained upon the beast immediately sloughed off, falling into the shaft below. In contrast, as the onyx glowed then sputtered, the wyrm's skeleton tightened, and a low rumbling emanated from its ribcage. As she ends her spell, Moyra stares into the creature's skull, the red of her own eyes slowly reflecting in the linnorm's own eye sockets.

"Welcome to the family."

Delgar catches sight of Moyra's spellcasting from too far across the room to do anything more than yell an expasperated "No!" at her.

Recovered from his exhaustion, he storms across the cavern. "How could ye do it, lass. Have ye no sense of decency? Such perversion! It's an affront to nature I tell ye!"

He moves closer and closer to the skeleton, stopping directly in front of it's gaping skeletal maw, fangs dripping poison. "Look at this... just look at it! How do ye live with yerself?" Reaching to the ground, he picks up the smoking, cracked onyx fragments, holding them in his outstretched palm for all to see. "JUST LOOK AT THIS! WHAT DID THESE GEMS EVER DO TO YOU????"

Slipping the worthless onyx remnants into his pouch, he turns his back on the vile woman, a single tear dripping down his cheek.

OhMyGodImOnFire
2013-10-26, 12:25 PM
Moyra

The hellbred turns to look at the wild-eyed dwarf curiously, unsure if his intent until he swipes the burnt out onyx husks from her new companion's maw. "I understand your concern, Master Delgar," she says, "but it is unfounded. Your precious stones grow evermore beneath the earth upon which we stand, and the beauty of those gems you now have was made manifest just moments ago." She points to the linnorm to emphasize her point, and with a swift mental command it lowers its bony head, as if it were prostrating itself before Delgar. "No beauty has been lost from this world," she reassures, "it has simply changed form."

Gnarnia
2013-10-26, 01:06 PM
Delgar

"Nay lass, nay. Whoever told ye as much has misled ye. No one will look at that thing (nodding towards the skeletal Linnorm) and be smitten with the wonderment of the Earth that has birthed us. These rocks have a life of their own, and it takes the hands of a skilled artisan to make that life visible to the naked eye.

Ye can see it when ye gaze upon a finely wrought piece of jewelry, or that fountain that once stood in this square. But that skeleton, indeed, every skeleton, every zombie, every mummy, every ghoul... the lot of them. All of them gain their unlife through the sacrifice of these gems. That life must be given up to call back some semblance of life in the thing yer animating.

When a rock rests at the bottom of the river long enough to be polished smooth. When a stone is consumed by magma and returns to the source from whence it was birthed. And even when an artisan works the stone to call its beauty to the surface, be it as a statue or a blade or a necklace.

But this be naught but unholy sacrifice. Arcane casters often lose track of the import of what they do, relying on ancient texts to work their magic rather than praying for the divine favor, but this spell ye cast is one of evil. Ye've taken several lives today just to call back the spirit of that one. "

RFLS
2013-10-26, 07:38 PM
Thalen

The chest is untrapped - in fact, everything has been so far. This place seems more like a home than a dangerous dungeon.

In the chest...is a book. A thick, leather tome with metal bindings lies there. Its cover is inscribed with the same flowing runes from around the arch, in a circular pattern about the center.

Archmage1
2013-10-26, 07:44 PM
Thalen reaches in, and gently picks up the book, examining it more closely(detect magic).

"Kiki, I think the scientists would be quite interested in this. The room seems safe enough, but this book seems quite central to this place, for some reason."

NotScaryBats
2013-10-27, 11:25 PM
"Oh ho! Now that's exactly the kinda break we was lookin' for -- hand it over," Kiki gently takes the book with her tiny claws and runs a finger over the cover, cooing a bit. She flips through the pages casually, seeing if its written in a language she knows (Draconic, Common, Dwarven, or Auran). Turning to the medic, who is voicing his concern over lingering here, she concludes, "I gotcha, Tiber, le's get a move on an' move on."

The amethyst kobold makes her way back to the group of scientists, and calls to order, both mentally to her invisible ally, and vocally to the surrounding scientists: "we've gone an' found a book! Who's my script decipherer? Come on an' take a looksee." She holds the book up with one hand like an auctioneer with a hot item to sell.

Archmage1
2013-10-28, 06:24 AM
After he hands over the book to Kiki, Thalen makes sure that there is nothing else hidden in the room, before heading outside once more, where he comes to a stop, amazed at the undead dragon, with the pair arguing in front of it. He simply stares, as undead dragons are not something that he has seen before.

Rizhail
2013-10-28, 09:09 AM
"Not me," Sellissa says to Kiki, leaving the task of deciphering the book to the others. While reasonably knowledgable in matters arcane, the alu-fiend issn't particularly skilled in dealing with deciphering old texts. She wanders the area and admires the stonework, leaving the actual searching and official examinations for those who are specialized in such things.

OhMyGodImOnFire
2013-10-28, 11:17 AM
Moyra

A victim to the grips of undeath herself, the hellbred listens to Delgar's rant with calm understanding. When he finishes, she nods, taking a moment to fully process his words. "I understand your concern, Master Delgar," she responds slowly, "I, too, see the beauty of that which the earth provides us. However, I believe there is a lack of perspective in this particular arrangement. With all due respect, it appears as though you are approaching the beauty of the earth from a largely physical standpoint. I, on the other hand, work more a more abstract realm - life and death, knowing and unknowing; does the earth not provide these things as well? For you, the earth beneath your feet and the gems in your hands are what move you. For me, it is the potent energies that these things house. These rocks, as you say, have a life of their own, and it takes the hands of a skilled artisan to make that life visible to the naked eye. Is that not so with bones, too? Perhaps more so, as bones did in fact once house tangible life, whereas these stones are alive only to he who believes.

There is also a certain amount of flawed logic - and, dare I say, hypocrisy - in the posited examples. You suggest that when a stone is consumed by magma, and returns to the source from whence it was birthed, it is the beauty of the earth in motion - yet is that not also sacrifice? Moreover, when an artisan works the stone to call its beauty to the surface, be it as a statue or a blade or a necklace, how is that any different from the sculpting of bones? Who are you to render judgment upon the natural, perfect state of a stone? Who are you to pull it from earth's bosom and manipulate it to suit your own needs, however noble and subjectively beautiful those needs may be?

I must also interject that you are partially mistaken in the vile nature of reanimation. You believe I force the souls of the innocent into my service - this is not so. Those who have been absolved of their sins in life have already moved on to Elysium, beyond the time and the dominion of Lord Enoreth. The souls which have been invited back to the realm of the living are those of ones who wronged in life, and have either returned to serve their sentence, or return to attempt to right their wrong. Once they have paid their dues, their souls are returned to the ether, just as your stones are subsumed to be reborn again."

Engaged in her discussion with the dwarf, Moyra doesn't not notice the presence of the others until she feels Martin's touch on her side. She turns and notices the kobold holding a tome over her head. "Thank you very much for providing me with such an opportunity to discuss such a topic, Master Delgar," she says, turning back to him and bowing, "I sincerely hope we might continue at some point in the near future. I apologize if my act has offended you, and I hope we might come to some compromise soon, but for now I am afraid I must excuse myself - we have been hired to perform a job, and this particular task requires my attention."

Turning, she walks toward Kiki, armor clinking to the steady rhythm of her gait. "Might I examine this tome?" she asks, gloved hand extending to mirror her request. "I believe I may have some insight."

I don't like to assume that someone will just give me something, or I simply take it from them, so I'd rather NotScaryBats write that Kiki gives me the tome. Upon receiving the tome, Moyra uses her Gloves of Object Reading to discern personal details of the previous owner of the tome (I guess I'll have to defer to your judgment RFLS). She will also make a Decipher Script check:

[roll0]

Let me know if I can use any of the knowledge checks to supplement this roll.

NotScaryBats
2013-10-28, 04:46 PM
"Yeah, have at," Kiki grins her draconic grin, passing the book over. "An' if anyone else wants to take a crack at it, you be sure to keep passin' it along, right?"

Dusting off her tiny claws, the professional kobold begins to mobilize the miners, trying to put into motion the group's exodus from this room and continued journey deeper into the tunnels.

Archmage1
2013-10-28, 05:21 PM
Hearing Kiki's plans, Thalen heads towards the continuance of the tunnel, and heads down it a short distance, keeping a wary eye out.

[roll0] hide
[roll1] move silently
[roll2] spot
[roll3] listen

RFLS
2013-10-29, 12:45 PM
Moyra:

Wind blows through your hair, and events fly past you at blinding speed. Monsters, fire, rockslides in the blink of an eye. Then...the sound of laughter. A child's laughter.

The child's voice speaks in an alien language to you, one of flowing sounds and few consonants. It sounds delighted, amused at something. A warm, motherly voice responds in the same strange tongue, and then begins....speaking? Singing?

The scene comes into focus. A soft light illuminates a stone room. Water is on all of the walls, and the floor is a soft grass, of all things. A small bed sits in the corner of the room, and in it lie two humanoid figures; one taller, the other small, still the size of a human child. This is where the voices come from.

The mother-figure is holding the book propped against her (her? you can't be sure) lap, and is reading from it to the child.

You move closer - the vision is blurry, the figures unclear. They come into focus, and you see them - they are people, nearly human, but green. Vines fall from their heads, their skin looks to be as wood. They wear clothes woven of leaves and bark.

You watch, and the mother reads more from the book. She's telling the child a story, and slowly, it falls asleep. The mother quietly closes the book and extricates herself from the child's limbs. She stands, moves - walks through you to another room.

The scene dissolves in swirling mists, and then events race past once more, in the blink of an eye.

It is the same room, yet different - possessions are scattered here and there, and commotion comes from outside. You watch as the mother and the child, now slightly older, hurry in and out of the room, carrying belongings out. At last, there are only a few things left, and then you hear screams. The two of them drop what they were holding and race out of the room. A few items of food roll across the floor, and there, next to the bed, rests the box, with the book still in it....

It's the same as the runes on the archway. It's read in an outward spiral, starting in the middle of each page.

Archmage1
2013-11-03, 05:22 PM
Not finding anything further along the tunnel, Thalen heads back, and sees Moyra focused on the book he had found. Curious, he heads over to her, and, after making sure she was not in some sort of magical ritual, asks her a question.
"Do you have any idea how to read it? I imagine that it would be quite interesting."

NotScaryBats
2013-11-03, 05:22 PM
Kiki squints at Moyra, wondering what precisely she is experiencing.

After a moment, the kobold turns to the rest of the scientists gathered about, "C'mon, ya'all, nothin to see here -- let's git our stuff t'gether an' be ready to move out."

She otherwise continues to mobilize the expedition.

Archmage1
2013-11-03, 05:24 PM
When Kiki starts organizing the expedition to get moving once more, Thalen quickly speaks up.
"The path ahead seems clear for a short distance, at least. Maybe that linnorn scared everything in the area off, but coming back... we will need to be ready for the Rehmoraz."

RFLS
2013-11-03, 05:28 PM
The Abandoned Cavern:

The miners (what's left of them) and the other expedition members start moving, collecting their gear, readying themselves to, as Kiki puts it, "move out." All the while, Moyra stands there, motionless as a statue.

Leading from the room are three - well, with the linnorm's entrance, four - entrances. The one you came in by, you know. The other two intentional ones are spaced equidistantly from each other and from the one you came in by. They both head slightly downwards and curve towards the left.

Archmage1
2013-11-03, 05:41 PM
Thalen points out the path he had taken a look down to Kiki, thinking that the group may as well go that way.

Thokk_Smash
2013-11-03, 10:12 PM
Tiberius walks among the miners, checking for any injuries he may have missed. When Moyra stops moving entirely, the medic hurriedly goes to check on her, After a minute or so of observation and a light physical inspection, he determines that she is not in any physical pain, and thus contents himself to simply keep a watchful eye on her.

Agreed, Thalen, he says when the other man speaks of the Remorhaz. If we're lucky then perhaps the Remorhaz will have left this place by then, but it's probably best not to count on luck in a place such as this.

With that, he takes up a place in the middle of the rear with the rest of the scientists, keeping a watchful eye on his surroundings for any signs of hostile life.

Gnarnia
2013-11-05, 01:56 PM
Delgar

The dwarf waits for Moyra to finish examining the book.

And waits...

and waits...

When his patience finally runs out, he walks over to the woman and calls out her name, only to find her gaze still transfixed upon the book she's holding.

"Lovely, this is exactly why ye don't go messin around with undead. Ye've gone and got yerself cursed. I'll pray for the spell in the mornin, but fer now I guess we'll have to carry ye".

With a grunt, he lifts the woman off the ground. He considers carrying her all the way himself, but thinks better of it and calls his gargoyle over, laying the woman across its back. Once she's secured well enough to avoid falling, he trots off after Thelen. He doesn't bother trying to move the skellinorm.

Thokk_Smash
2013-11-05, 02:13 PM
Tiberius watches the dwarf strap the woman onto his gargoyle. I'm not sure if simply animating a corpse can bestow a curse upon someone, but just in case...

He walks over to the woman and lays his hand upon her foot and intones, Remove Curse. After a few moments in which she does not respond, he says, I do not believe she has been cursed, Delgar. Perhaps it has something to do with the book in her hands?

salt3d
2013-11-06, 01:38 AM
The broken piece of fountain that had been spinning slowly between Digger's hands falls suddenly to the floor with a thud. The construct looks around. The lights in his eyes flicker, giving the impression he is blinking. He bends over and picks up the chunk once again.

Digger strides over to Moyra and says "Is the text in that book anything like that on the architecture destroyed by the beast? It seems to have grown by itself rather than being carved or etched by tools. Is the book written with ink and quill or similar, or have the words grown on the pages?"

Digger offers the piece of rock to Moyra, seemingly oblivious to the fact that she is motionless atop a gargoyle.

RFLS
2013-11-06, 08:58 PM
Abandoned Cavern

The expedition has assembled, gear at the ready. The miners are all shaken from the linnorm; there's muttering in the ranks, so to speak. At last, Thalen returns from his trip down the tunnels. The group picks up and, as one man, turns towards the tunnel Thalen scouted. And, as one man, they startle backwards.

A slight, humanoid figure stands there, eyeing the group. Though humanoid, it's not one of you - its skin is green.

Gnarnia
2013-11-06, 09:07 PM
Delgar

Very surprised to see a figure in the tunnel, Delgar looks behind himself to see if maybe it's one of the miners who was travelling with the group. Shrugging, he turns back to the green skinned figure, and calls out a friendly greeting in both Common and Dwarven.

"I waren't expectin ta see someone else down in these caves. Good day to ye."

Archmage1
2013-11-06, 09:18 PM
Thalen looks back, and tries to see if he remembers anything about anything like the figure. He thinks about talking, but Delgar beats him to it, and he awaits a response, if any.

OhMyGodImOnFire
2013-11-07, 11:36 AM
Moyra

Snapping out of her trance, Moyra finds herself on the back of a gargoyle, Martin following obediently beside her as the linnorm holds its vigil somewhere in the back of her mind. She shakes her head, groggily getting back on her own two feet. Making a mental note to remember the sensation of being drawn into one of these visions, lest she lose herself again, Moyra turns just in time to spot the creature that stands before them. Curiosity flaring, the hellbred immediately dives back into her mind, searching for evidence that would suggest the origins of this being, her Scrolls thrumming in response.

NotScaryBats
2013-11-07, 11:41 PM
"Renthisj," Kiki intones quietly to herself, granting her words the power to be understood by any creature.

Stepping forward, the tiny kobold joins the ambassador-dwarf and speaks to the green creature. "Howd'ya do? We are scientists an' explorers, an' we'd sure like ta have a word with you -- we won't harm you; we come in peace," her words are enhanced with the power of a Dracolexi, and everyone can understand them.

If you want her diplomacy, it is +14. You may roll for me if you want a roll.

RFLS
2013-11-08, 09:12 AM
Abandoned Cavern

The creature tilts its head at Delgar, a quizzical look passing over its face. At Kiki's words, however, it starts - and a look of understanding passes over its face. A lilting, song-like response comes from its mouth, in a language none of you have ever heard.

"I am grateful/honored that you wish to speak with me. Slay you the Rising Wyrm? Whynow walk its bones?"

The creature is humanoid, but oddly so - its skin is green.

The creature seems to be some kind of humanoid plant.

Definitely humanoid, but with plant-like qualities, as though someone had magically melded a plant and a humanoid.

There are rare, rare whispers of "the walking plants" from the races indigenous to this continent.

You once heard a story, from an old, old druid of the neanderthals, far to the north of New Zarna, of a race of plants that walked as humans and spoke as humans. They cared for nature, and spoke rarely to outsiders - and then they disappeared.

Archmage1
2013-11-08, 09:16 AM
As the green creature speaks, Thalen shakes his head.
"Can you speak any other languages? I don't even recognize that one."

Assuming that the creature does not respond, he tries a couple of other languages.
[Celestial][Elven][Dwarven]
"Do you understand this tongue?"

RFLS
2013-11-08, 09:24 AM
The creatu - the person in front of you looks confused, and rattles off another string of song-like words at you.

"I don't understand/know. Why speak you not as the little-dragon-shiny-one does?"

Archmage1
2013-11-08, 09:27 AM
Thalen looks around at the others, and sighs. It would seem that the creature did not speak any of the languages he spoke.
"Can anyone understand what the creature is saying? It does not seem to be hostile. We should, at least, be able to introduce ourselves, though."

He pauses for a few moments, before clearly pointing to himself.
"Thalen."

Thokk_Smash
2013-11-08, 03:44 PM
The sight of the green humanoid catches Tiberius' attention. A humanoid plant? he thinks, visibly perking up. If he'd had more dextrous ears, they would have twitched excitably. Why didn't he have those? He should look into those.

Anyway, he makes his way toward the person, keeping an observant eye on...it. Is it male? Female? Androgynous? The questions flit about in his head as Thalen speaks with it. The person's words are gibberish to the medic, and it seems as though an in-depth questioning would have to wait for another time. Instead, he contents himself with intently observing the being's every move.

From his pack, he retrieves a small sketchpad and a piece of charcoal. He begins to draw a rough sketch of the creature, making note of as many details as he can and annotating as he goes.

NotScaryBats
2013-11-08, 10:45 PM
Kiki curtseys, "The wyrm is dead, an' now its body's under the control've one of my people. It won't hurt'cha anymore -- you have my word. As fer the others, I'm working magic to speak with ya, an' since there's so many've us an only one'a you, I'll jus' do the talkin' for now. If you'll allow me, I'll cast the same magic on you, so you can communicate with us." Kiki allows the creature a moment to affirm or deny the request, and speaks the word Renthisj.

The tiny, amethyst kobold turns to the expedition forces, "now, now, ev'ryone. Ya'all jus' let me do the talkin for now; we dun wanna scare'er off with all of ya'all jabberin' in words she can't unnerstand."

Smiling her draconic smile, Kiki returns her attention to the green humanoid. "You comfortable talkin right here or you wanna take us somewhere? Remor'azz were all over the village here," she jerks her thumb to indicate the room the expedition came from, "so I dun think it's safe ta take you back that way.

Archmage1
2013-11-09, 06:37 PM
Thalen seems rather... confused.
"Kiki... do you understand the creature... and does it understand you? Because it sounds like you are speaking common to me..."

RFLS
2013-11-10, 04:31 PM
Abandoned Cavern

The plant-person makes no move to stop you as you cast your magic on her.

"You are leader/ruler of this group? Slew you the Rising Wyrm? Must know this, for tribe/people/family sake."

NotScaryBats
2013-11-10, 10:10 PM
Since I cast the Word on it, everyone should be able to understand it now. Is that right?

Assuming so:

"Yes, I'm one of the leaders, but it wasn't me who killed the wyrm -- I think it was Digger who did the final blow. Far as I know, our healer took care've the curse, though."

Archmage1
2013-11-12, 10:50 AM
Thalen, standing not too far from Kiki, thinks in the silence.
She can let anyone speak any language? That would be a useful trick to know. Wonder if she can teach it...

RFLS
2013-11-14, 12:12 PM
Abandoned Cavern

"Slew you the Rising Wyrm.... And what are you/group/people? Recognize you not, though short ones (indicating Delgar) look as dark/enemy/merchant ones, but not dark/enemy."

NotScaryBats
2013-11-14, 02:00 PM
"An' you look a lot like a human -- jus' green. We're from the surface, from the Old Continent, so I'm not surprised you've never seen nothin' like us before. Delgar there's a dwarf. I bet'cha there's some subterranean dwarves 'round here that look similar. Hehe, ya'all ain't got no Kobolds down here though?" Kiki chuckles at herself good-naturedly.

"But that said, our primary goal's exploration, making diplomatic contact with the natives down here, an' scientific research!" The tiny kobold looks quite proud of her expedition's goals.

Gnarnia
2013-11-16, 02:16 PM
Delgar

Delgar smiles at the possibility of meeting some other dwarves. "Can ye ask 'im what's happened down here? What happened to the folk livin' in those homes? Does he need help with anything and is there anything we should know before we go venturin' off down these tunnels?"

NotScaryBats
2013-11-16, 10:19 PM
Kiki also relays Delgar's message.

RFLS
2013-11-18, 05:38 PM
Abandoned Cavern

The...whatever-it-is replies as best it can, seemingly overwhelmed by so many questions. "We have no "kobolds," no. Wish you to meet more of us if diplomatic contact is your goal? For the short one, tell him that we left this place long ago, when first troubles came to pass. Tell him also that the tunnel you are headed down aims towards the heart of my home, should that be what he is looking for."

Archmage1
2013-11-18, 06:17 PM
Thalen looks over to Kiki at that one.
"Heart of her people's home? Was this once a city of theirs?"

OhMyGodImOnFire
2013-11-18, 07:46 PM
Moyra

A spell to overcome language barriers. Of course. Moyra kicks herself for her oversight, but pushes the thought away in favor of the more pressing matter at hand. "Madame Diamondpick," she says to Kiki, "if you would be so kind as to relay the following message: I, Moyra Song, am the current master of the risen wyrm. Following its death, we discovered this volume, which I surmised to be a story book of sorts, within one of the nearby chambers. However, I was unable to decipher its contents, and am hoping that perhaps you might shed some light in regards to this mystery."

To enact her own statement, Moyra steps forward, offering the tome to the creature standing before them.

NotScaryBats
2013-11-19, 10:07 AM
"Yer darn tootin' we wanna meet more've ya all!" Kiki claps her tiny claws together for -- quite unneeded -- emphasis. "You mind leadin' the way an' we can talk and walk?

"We're all jus' full've questions, but if it gets a bit too much fer ya, you jus' lemme know an' I can curtail som've our curiousity," Kiki nods to Thalen and Moyra.

"Was this once a city've yours? Do ya all name your cities? Our people do.

"Y'see Moyra Song, there, she's the controller of the wyrm, an' she wanted to know more about this book, if there was anything you could tell us about it?" Here, Kiki offers the item to the diplomatic creature.

Should it offer to lead the party, Kiki is fine walking and talking. The energetic kobold enjoys little more than doing multiple things at once, after all.

RFLS
2013-11-19, 01:13 PM
Abandoned Cavern

The creature looks vaguely uncomfortable at your questions, and answers them carefully. "This place was a home, yes. We called it Far Branch. It was the farthest of our dwellings/towns."

It takes a deep breath, as though calming itself, and continues. "I can lead you to Deepseed, but I must warn you that the my people deeply hate the wyrms. You might not be welcome."

AngryCyc
2013-11-19, 03:39 PM
Tob

Tob, quiet for this entire time and listening with perked ear, finally lets out a holler, "Hear that?? TIME FOR SOME MASSIVE-SCALE WYRM KILLING ME THINKS!"

And then, pausing a second after saying that, let's out the smallest of "Heh" at his accidental pun.

NotScaryBats
2013-11-20, 01:00 AM
To the scientist, Kiki says / orders, "Moyra, y'dun mind leavin' yer new toy behind while we're on diplomatic missions, do ya?"

The amethyst kobold then turns back to the entity, "Lead on, please! Name's Kikirokars Diamondpick -- it is a pleasure ta meet your acquaintance."

Sprinkled over the next few minutes so as not to be a barrage of rapid fire interrogation, Kiki asks:

"What should I call you? What's your race's name? What's your position? Who is your leader? Tell me about your religion. Is there anything else I should know before we get to Deepseed?"

Kiki's Word only lasts for 3 hours, so if the group is still moving after about another hour and a half, she will have to pause and explain, and designate another person as the speaker / face of the expedition.

RFLS
2013-11-20, 12:50 PM
As you walk down the lefthand tunnel, the creature replies as best it can to your questioning, looking more and more at ease as time goes on.

"It is good to meet you, too, Kikirokars. I am Seven-vines/Late Bloomer/Many Flowers. My race calls itself seedfolk, but...it loses something in translation, I think. Seeds are sacred - they are the source of all life. Like seeds, we may be many things."

"I am...I have no position, yet. I am learning as much as I can, that I might choose."

At your last two questions, she looks slightly confused.

"Our leader is Deepseed. He is the....I think you would say "father," but he is more than that."

As you travel, the tunnels begin changing in appearance. They look better cared for, with less of the wear of time on their faces. You begin seeing branches off in other directions, and the tunnel you're in widens slowly but constantly.

You begin seeing plants as you journey further underground, too - first the odd lichen or two, and mushrooms. Some of the lichens are faintly luminous, and these increase in luminosity and frequency until you're surrounded by a soft, pale light almost constantly. You begin seeing flowers, too, and vines growing up the sides of the tunnels. From somewhere distant, you hear the trickle of flowing water.

If you're looking at the plants, you notice that they all seem to be joined together by their root systems.

Archmage1
2013-11-20, 12:53 PM
[roll0] spot

When he starts seeing plants, Thalen initially looks at them with interest, but, as they seem to be similar to things he has seen before, he dismisses them, but as their frequency increases, he notes something potentially important.

"Kiki, can you ask if all the plants here are connected? And if they are, to what?"

NotScaryBats
2013-11-21, 12:21 AM
"Well, shucks, Thalen, I didn't even notice that. Seven-vines, are all've these here plants connected? That's not somethin' we see up on the surface -- what's that about?"

Gnarnia
2013-11-21, 11:16 PM
Delgar

Having little to add to the current conversation, Delgar continues trekking alongside the others, admiring the subterranean horticulture and keeping his eyes open in case of any further trouble along the way.

Archmage1
2013-11-22, 07:05 AM
"They are connected, but as to why..."
Thalen shrugs.
"Maybe she knows?"

RFLS
2013-11-22, 12:31 PM
Tunnels

Sevenvines shrugs at your question, as though it is silly, trivial. "That is just the way that plants are. They all come from Deepseed, in this area."

Archmage1
2013-11-22, 02:22 PM
Guessing that we know nothing about deepseed, if not, [roll0] know: nature

Once more, Thalen asks Kiki to relay his question.
"Kiki, could you ask what the Deepseed is? Some sort of plant?"

NotScaryBats
2013-11-22, 11:21 PM
"What? Naw, he's they're leader or Father or God or sumthin' -- I think it'll make sense more when we git a lil' futher into their territory."

Archmage1
2013-11-22, 11:45 PM
"Maybe. But, then, if he is their creator, and he is all of these plants... It should be interesting to meet him."

NotScaryBats
2013-11-23, 01:20 AM
"Yer darn right it'll be interesting... Jus' think -- 'xplorin' new lands, meetin' new entities..."

Archmage1
2013-11-23, 09:03 AM
"Seeing new things, boldly going where no man has gone before..."

OhMyGodImOnFire
2013-11-23, 12:04 PM
Moyra

Intrigued by the new sight, Moyra observes the fauna closely, taking in as many details as she can and matching them to the database that rests within her mind.

Spot for minute details: [roll0]
Knowledge (Nature) for information on possibly related plants: [roll1]

RFLS
2013-11-23, 03:01 PM
Tunnels

Moyra's inspection takes only a short time; the plants are rather simple after initial appearances. Each of them is connected with a basic root system, and, when you finally break a flower's stem open, you find out why - the root system is all one organism, but the plants are not. Instead, they grow up out of the root, as if it were a host for them in some way. They are not, as Sevenvines stated, all one organism - but they are all attached.

The walk continues on, winding down through tunnel after tunnel. Finally, you turn a corner, and you know - you've reached your destination, and you've found Deepseed.

A vast cavern stretches out before you. No dark, dank, and dusty cavern, though - this one is full of life. Graceful spires come out of the ground, and fountains of water pour from their faces. The glowing lichens are everywhere, and strange spheres of light float in the open space of the cavern. You can barely see to the other side of the cavern - it seems to stretch on for a mile, and is nearly a quarter mile tall. In the middle of it all, stretching almost to reach the ceiling, is a massive tree - it looks as though it's a simple oak, but on a grand scale.

A small path winds down from the tunnel, down to the floor of the cavern, only a couple dozen feet below you. The whole floor of the cavern is a garden, filled with flowers the likes of which you've never seen, with mushrooms the size of people, and with all variety of insects and small animals. Too, there are people there - people of the same species as Sevenvines, and they've already noticed you - and are staring.

Archmage1
2013-11-23, 03:13 PM
When he enters the cavern, in the front of the group, Thalen stops, and stares.
I... I had not imagined that such a place could exist. The biggest tree I have ever seen.. deep underground... How could it get the light it needs? From these spheres?

When Thalen stops staring long enough to realize that he is being stared at in return, he returns the favor, studying them in return.

NotScaryBats
2013-11-23, 03:56 PM
"Well, would'ja lookit this..." Kiki exclaims sincerely.

She looks to Sevenvines to see if the guide will take any measures to introduce the group. The tiny kobold then looks to the gathered crowd of humanoids, seeing if any of their number will step forth and begin communications. Finally, Kiki pats Thalen on the leg -- not being tall enough to touch his shoulder -- and says "You're a charismatic young human. Why don'cha take point in translatin' and whatnot. Renthisj."

Unless he resists, he now has the ability to be understood by anything with a language for the next 3 hours.

Archmage1
2013-11-23, 04:02 PM
"You mean, she can understand me now?"
Thalen seems pleased to be trusted with such an important role.

NotScaryBats
2013-11-23, 04:26 PM
"They all can," Kiki explains, "so be on your best, an' do us proud; this's the firs' contact with the surface these folks'll have. Keep that in mind, now, y'hear?"

Archmage1
2013-11-23, 04:31 PM
"Of course, Kiki."
Thalen looks at Sevenvines.
"Should we wait here, for someone to meet us? Or should we head down"

Thokk_Smash
2013-11-24, 01:44 AM
Tiberius maintains his silence as he scribbles sketches and notes into his pad of paper. This truly is fascinating for him, between the unique flora and now the civilization of seed-people. They have an entire city down here!

He makes a mental note to ask Kiki to cast the language spell on him eventually; he is itching to ask Sevenvines, or maybe even Deepseed about their biology, culture, and any number of other topics. This place is fascinating, he muses aloud.

Gnarnia
2013-11-24, 06:13 PM
Delgar

When he enters the cavern, in the front of the group, Thalen stops, and stares.
I... I had not imagined that such a place could exist. The biggest tree I have ever seen.. deep underground... How could it get the light it needs? From these spheres?

When Thalen stops staring long enough to realize that he is being stared at in return, he returns the favor, studying them in return.

Delgar pats Thalen on the back. "That's what I was tryin ta say earlier, lad. The earth's the source of life from what we all spring. Sure we might need ta breathe air and drink water, but it's the earth that births us and takes us back when we pass on. She's a miracle though, ain't she?" Delgar stands alongside Thalen and marvels as well at the enormous tree growing so deep underground.

Archmage1
2013-11-24, 06:16 PM
Thalen nods, in a distracted sort of way.

RFLS
2013-11-26, 12:38 PM
Deepseed

The crowd of plantfolk parts, allows one of their members through. It (he?) is slightly taller than the rest, and is wearing what look like ceremonial robes of deep red, bordered with gold.

"Greetings, travelers. I am Manyroots, Speaker for Deepseed. I offer you our friendship, and come to tell you that Deepseed wishes to speak with you, and has sent me to take you to him. We have never seen your kind before.. Also..."

Here he hesitates, as though unsure of what he is about to say.

"...if you would be so kind as to leave the Wyrm outside the cavern, we would owe you our thanks. It is...taboo, I think, is how you would say it."

Archmage1
2013-11-26, 01:59 PM
Thalen starts, slightly, upon hearing the treefolk, Manyroots, speak, and that he understood. He knew that it was not Kiki's magic, so it had to be something that the more powerful Manyroots had that Sevenvines did not.

"Greetings, we are an expedition from Turrif, a city on the surface, and we too offer friendship."
Hopefully, I am not laying it on too thickly...
"We, too, have never seen your kind before, and I am hoping that we will be given the opportunity to do so again, in the future. We would be glad to speak with Deepseed, and I am certain that Moyra"
He gestures in her direction.
"Would be willing to leave the Linnorm behind. We meant no offence with it."

Thalen seems a bit nervous, his words occasionally stumbling. He had not expected to be speaking for the entire expedition, let alone for Turrif.
Hope I didn't mess that up too badly. Might make it a bit harder to form my own expedition...

NotScaryBats
2013-11-27, 12:03 AM
Kiki smiles broadly at the warm reception the expedition is receiving. The tiny kobold claps her hands together, and addresses her scientists and miners, "Right, ya'all heard'm -- don' straggle an' don' trample the grass with yer boots. Let's go meet Deepseed!"

RFLS
2013-11-28, 12:58 PM
Deepseed

Manyroots leads you forward through the garden. The plants and animals grow more and more exotic - at one point, you see a dragonfly nearly a foot long. The air is damp and warm in this cavern.

Finally, you reach the base of the massive tree. Manyroots quietly guides you forward into a small grotto in its roots. The glowing lichens cover the walls in here, illuminating the entire area. A frieze has been made about the entirety of the room, depicting these plantfolk going about various tasks.

As the last of you file in, the lichen's light pulses, and the air reverberates around you. A voice, not quite spoken and not entirely in your mind, sounds about you. <I am Deepseed, the Hearttree, Keeper of the Seedlings. Who are you, strangers, that come into our lands, with metal men and undead Wyrms?>

In one area of the frieze, you see depictions of these plantfolkf fighting linnorms like the one you slew.

Another area depicts what seems to be plantfolk...riding dinosaurs into battle.

Thokk_Smash
2013-11-28, 01:08 PM
Spot: [roll0]
Knowledge (Nature): [roll1]

Will fill in responses after seeing rolls.

Tiberius gazes at the visible fauna with wide eyes. A dragonfly larger than his head! Trees with leaves larger than that! Now, if only he could collect specimens without potentially drawing the ire of the locals...

When they are introduced to Deepseed, the semi-mental nature of the being's communication intrigues the medic. He remains silent, deferring the explanation of their reason for being there to Thalen or Kiki, but mentally complies a list of questions to ask.

Lateral
2013-11-28, 01:58 PM
Zara

Zara continues to float along with the others, trying very hard to keep her presence unknown.

Spot1: [roll0]
Spot2: [roll1]
Knowledge (Nature) is an autosuccess.

NotScaryBats
2013-11-28, 03:57 PM
Sensing that the entity can likely understand her, Kiki steps forward and speaks. The tiny kobold holds herself with composure and dignity, truly proud to be representing her people and the surface.

"Greetings and salutations, Deepseed, the Hearttree, Keeper of the Seedlings. I'm Kikirokars Diamondpick, President of the Kobold Miner's Union, an' we are the Expedition Turrif, from a great city on the surface. Thing is, we're miners -- the lot've us -- an' we stumbled 'cross these here worked tunnels 'neath our city. Now, we didn't know'f any civilizations 'neath us, so we made this expedition'f our best an' brightest to explore 'em, meet with the natives, share knowledge, an' generally expand our horizons.

"Metal is our bread'n butter -- second only to gems -- cus we're miners. You see some metal men cus our artificers are pushin' the boan'dries've Magitek and -- sorry, gettin' a lil' off topic here." Kiki clamps down on her excitement a bit, straightening her tie and smoothing her blouse. After composing herself, she continues in a more measured cadence.

"I hope we din't offend ya'all, but we try'n use what we can, an' after we got attacked by that there wyrm -- well, no use in lettin' the bones go ta waste -- one of our arcanists animated it. It's a mindless undead, now, unner the control've Moyra, so it ain't gonna wreak any havoc or nothin. It's safe.

"I extend the greetings'f Turrif, an' I hope our peoples can get along in peace an' harmony, fer the mutual benefit'f us all." Kiki finishes with a humble curtsey, her tiny wings spread slightly.

salt3d
2013-11-29, 06:01 PM
Digger's head spins slowly atop his shoulders, completing two full rotations over the course of a minute. The white light in his eyes flashes at regular intervals, accompanied by a sound that could be described as that of a camera shutter, if such a thing existed.

Spot:[roll0]

RFLS
2013-12-02, 12:40 AM
Deepseed:

<Hmm...you speak strangely, but I believe you're speaking truly, too. We will extend our hospitality to you, and, if you are willing, I would talk a while with you, Kikirokars.>

Deepseed pauses, and when he speaks again, it sounds as though he'd been speaking to someone else briefly.

<Manyroots will provide you and your followers with lodging for the night, if they wish it. We also have foods for you, of the variety preferred by the dark/merchants and the dark/enemies, though we have not hosted their kind here in decades. They strongly resemble you, though you do not act as them.>

Various plantfolk appear to lead you to your lodgings. Acceptable foods, mostly mushrooms and fruits, are within your rooms. The rooms are hewn out of the rock, and contain what is recognizably furniture, though it has a distinctly organic feel to it.

Your hosts make it plain to you that you are free to wander about, either to simply look, or to speak with any plantfolk you might find.

After the rest of the group has been led away, Deepseed's voice sounds once more in Kikirokar's mind.

<So, Kikirokars, tell me of yourselves. What you're doing here, what you desire, what you hope to find.>

You don't need to spell anything out. Simply say "I tell him X," and it's understood. If you want to conceal something for whatever reason, roll the Bluff check. If you want to ask for something, roll a Diplomacy check.

Archmage1
2013-12-02, 12:53 AM
Thalen, after trying the various mushrooms, to see what they taste like, wanders around the cavern, looking around, clearly wanting to remember this place quite well.

NotScaryBats
2013-12-02, 01:50 AM
Kiki sees no special reason to distrust the Seedlings or their leader, and tells the entity about Turrif, willing to speak at lengths about the surface if it wants to.

She explains the expedition is an exploratory and diplomatic one. They are looking for riches -- both material and immaterial. She didn't expect any civilization to still be down here, but now that she knows there are many, Kiki is quite interested in opening trade routes and the like.

Kiki asks if the Seedlings would be interested in opening up relations with Turrif, if they have any maps of the surrounding area, and for any additional info on the other races down here.

[roll0] diplomacy roll.

Archmage1
2013-12-04, 12:06 PM
After some time wandering, observing, taking it all in, Thalen looks for one of the plantfolk, hoping that it would be able to speak a language that he could understand.

"Excuse me, but I was hoping that you might be able to answer a few questions for me. How long has it been since the area we came through was abandoned? Are there other places like that?"

Thalen's questions are open, and earnest, and the likable young man clearly doesn't want to cause any trouble.

RFLS
2013-12-04, 10:51 PM
Kiki:

Deepseed listens quietly as you tell him why you're here and what you hope to find. He interrupts only once or twice to clarify concepts he finds strange, and is otherwise silent as you speak. As you finish speaking, he rumbles, much like an elderly man clearing his throat for a bit of a smoke from his pipe.

<This is...interesting. We knew of the surface, of course, but have always believed it to be a barren wasteland. My people would be interested in establishing trade with you, I believe, though it may take some time. We have some....local problems, which you have already encountered. That Wyrm you slew is not the only one of its kind. They have always plagued us, but have been attacking more and more frequently of late.>

Thalen:

The seedling laughs at your obviously overly curious nature, and does her best to answer you as she continues harvesting a broad-leafed plant from the garden that surrounds you. "That area has been abandoned for about fifty years, I believe. The Wyrms drove us out of it, and we had no real desire to reclaim it. There are many other outposts akin to that one; it is how our people live."

Make a Fort save, DC 12, or take [roll0] points of Wisdom damage that lasts for 1 hour. Eating random mushrooms =P

NotScaryBats
2013-12-05, 12:15 AM
Kiki asks the entity to tell her more about the Wyrms -- are they all as powerful as the one the group fought? Do they have a society? What is the purpose of the attacks?

Archmage1
2013-12-05, 07:30 AM
Since he wanted to talk to her for a bit, Thalen kneels in the dirt, and tries to help her harvest the plant, even as he formulates his next questions.
"Most of you live in outposts like that one? It was lovely, well, until the Wyrm, anyway. How do things grow down here? Without the sun, how do these plants survive? Mushrooms, I can understand, but the plants I know wilt and die out of the sunlight.

[roll0] fort
If it is because the mushrooms are poisonous... he is immune. :smallbiggrin:

RFLS
2013-12-08, 11:56 AM
Kiki:

<We...don't know. We've never captured one, alive, anyway. All of them are nearly identical, though.>

He's hiding something directly related to your questions.

Thalen:

The seedling laughs as though your question was that of a child. "The lichens provide the light for them, of course! They don't need very much of it, though."

Archmage1
2013-12-08, 12:12 PM
Thalen is quite surprised by this.
"Really? That's... Amazing!"
He pauses for a moment.
"I suppose you don't see it that way, but to someone who hasn't lived here... it's pretty amazing. Maybe you might find where we're from equally amazing, if you have never seen it."
Thalen spends a few minutes, describing the wonders of the gnomish city, and of the sea on the cliffs. Waves, crashed ships, airships, and flying rocks all feature in the tale. After it winds down, Thalen tries another question, this time, looking a bit nervous.
"Would you know if there are any loremasters here that I could speak to?"

NotScaryBats
2013-12-08, 10:31 PM
"Well, ain't that jus' the way'f things -- feuds startin' so long ago no one even remembers why. If we can git one'a the things ta talk to us, we'll try an' git to th' bottom'f this. Anythin' else we should know about?"

RFLS
2013-12-09, 02:04 PM
Kiki

<Well....our people have a legend about these Wyrms, though we know not how much truth it holds. The legend says that the Wyrms all spring from one source - the Harbinger of End Times, the Endless Flame. The legends state that he slumbers beneath even us, and the Wyrms spring from his mind. Even I, though, I, thousands of years old, do not remember this as anything but legends.>

Thalen

The expression on the seedling's face is priceless - half the words you're saying don't even make sense to her. "Well....there's Deepseed, of course, but your friend is speaking with him now. I could take you to one of the rooted elders, if you wish."

Seriously, is anyone else doing anything?

Archmage1
2013-12-09, 02:08 PM
Thalen smiles, glad that perhaps there might be one here that could help, and that they might not even charge for that chance. He is grateful, and it shows.

"A rooted elder? Thank you. The questions I am hoping to ask are about magic, so if there is one that specializes in arcane knowledge, or planar knowledge, that one would be preferred."

Thokk_Smash
2013-12-09, 02:45 PM
As Kiki goes off to speak with the seedlings' leader, Tiberius goes about trying to find Manyroots. He seemed to be among the higher ups of the civilization, and would probably be the best one after Deepseed to ask for information.

Stopping the nearest seedling, he politely asks, Excuse me, but could you help me find the one called Manyroots? I have questions I would like to ask of him.

AngryCyc
2013-12-09, 03:55 PM
Tob waits grumpily for the scientists to finish their sciencing. As far as he's concerned, peaceful civilized cultures just means less time fighting and testing out his body's full capabilities.

He only marginally thinks about if these folk have any concept of wealth or resources, or if they might have any magic of their own which they use to craft wondrous items he is used to seeing. However these cicerone quickly pass away again as he refocuses on the previous battle, and wonders how he should handle another match against a linnorm...

salt3d
2013-12-09, 03:57 PM
Digger wanders around, or at least appears at first glance to be wandering. After a time it becomes clear there is a definite pattern in the construct's movement. At varying intervals on his route, Digger stands still, his head rotating fully atop his shoulders and the flash within his eyes going off wildly.

At one such stop, as a plantfolk is passing Digger, he says to it, "Does your home here have any mineral wealth, or is it purely organic?"

NotScaryBats
2013-12-09, 10:48 PM
"Arright, maybe we should contrast this with yer creation myth -- whence did th' Seedlings spring? An Endless Seed? Where's th' animosity?" Kiki ponders thoughtfully, tiny claw on tiny chin. She is quite interested in collecting this bit of lore on the creation myths of the two species, and hopes to glean some hint of truth from it.

RFLS
2013-12-12, 10:38 PM
Thalen

"Well....the one who knows most about those matters is actually Deepseed. I'm sure he could speak to you in another of his chambers, as he speaks to your friend. Here, let me take you there."

She guides you through the garden, around Deepseed, to another gap in his roots. "Just go in there and you will be able to speak with him as before."

Tiberius:

The seedling graciously guides you to Manyroots, bowing out as you approach him. "Greetings, ....? What can I do for you?"

He looks at you expectantly, not having caught your name earlier.

Digger:

The seedling looks mildly taken aback at your question. "We....do not have much in the way of mineral wealth, no. All that we need, we grow from plants. If you are interested in mineral wealth, there are some Tai Shin staying with us currently."

Kiki:

A feeling like amusement permeates the air in the small space, and Deepseed's voice sounds in your mind, sounding as though it's had a good chuckle. <The seedlings are the result of thousands of years of arcane mutation. We used to be simple underground dwellers, subsisting on mushrooms. Over time, a symbiosis formed - plants are now, you might say, an integral part of us.>

Gnarnia
2013-12-12, 10:59 PM
Delgar

As Delgar spends more time in Deepseed, he starts to hear the words the plantfolk are speaking not in his own tongue, but in theirs. Somehow, magically, the meaning is not lost on him and he comes to feel like he could converse in their same tongue as well.

He spends a few hours in the evening exploring the cavern, not seeking anything in particular, but just taking in the sights with his gargoyle in tow.

He does try to identify someone who looks to be in a position of authority with whom he can inquire how far out they consider the cavern to be theirs, explaining that he is hired on as a miner but would not wish to disturb any parts of the cavern over which he has no rights.

Archmage1
2013-12-13, 07:30 AM
Thalen smiles, and follows the seedling. When they arrive, he pauses, and looks at her, smiling once more.
"Thank you for your help. I appreciate it."
After she finishes reacting, Thalen heads into the gap, and looks around.
This is a bad idea, kid... Mum always said that I would get into trouble for going too far from the village, and look where I am now....
The eternal whispers seem to agree with his thoughts, but, this time, he gathers his courage, and asks his question.
"Er... Deepseed? There was something that I was meaning to ask you, but I didn't want to with the others around..."
He seems to lack his usual confidence, and he pauses, looking around, before continuing.
"Do you know anything about this gauntlet?"
He holds the cursed gauntlet up.

NotScaryBats
2013-12-13, 10:08 AM
Kiki laughs along and finishes her discussion with Deepseed. She finalizes any treaty or anything official that must be done, and then goes on her way, unless the entity has anything else to say.

Thokk_Smash
2013-12-13, 11:03 AM
Tiberius:

The seedling graciously guides you to Manyroots, bowing out as you approach him. "Greetings, ....? What can I do for you?"

He looks at you expectantly, not having caught your name earlier.

Tiberius bows in return to the seedling. My apologies, he says. My name is Tiberius; I am a medic for the exploration. I was wondering if I could ask you some questions regarding your species: your history, what differences there are between you all and the species I'm familiar with, that kind of thing. I'm a scientist, you see, and I simply love to study other species, and I'd never even heard of your kind until today. It's quite exhilarating, I admit, he finishes, an earnest smile on his face.

salt3d
2013-12-13, 05:59 PM
"Tai Shin?" replies Digger, "are they also visitors of yours? Where have they come from? What do- BZZZT."

Digger's questions are halted abruptly by a buzzing, grinding sound. After a moment the construct speaks again. "Perhaps you could direct me to the Tai Shin, and I can ask them myself."

RFLS
2013-12-14, 02:09 PM
Digger and Delgar

You're directed, by degrees, to another group of visitors to the cavern - the tai shin. The seedlings apparently allow the tai shin to mine as they wish throughout their territory, in part of a complex treaty involving mineral rights, three dimensional territory, and production of foodstuffs.

You're ushered into a cave at one end of the vast cavern you're currently in. The lush greenery isn't present here - instead, glowing crystals protrude from the walls, and beautiful mosaics cover the floor. You see a strange shape in the back of the cavern, approaching you. When the creature comes into the light, you can see it more clearly.

Seven feet tall if it's an inch, a massive anthropomorphic scorpion stands before you. Its carapace seems to be of stone, with shards of crystal protruding from the smooth surface. Its face is human-esque, though it has compound eyes and a pair of mandibles.

"Yes? What can I do for you? I was under the impression we were to meet later ton - wait. You are not seedlings. You are not anything we/I know!"

The creature scuttles around you, leaning in closely and apparently sniffing as it speaks, words coming out in rapid-fire.

"You look at least like the merchants, but you...you are magnificent! What are you? What artifice made this one, hmm? And what brings you to Tai Shin? Do you, perhaps, wish to trade?" The entire time, it continues scuttling around Delgar and Digger.

RFLS
2013-12-14, 02:13 PM
Tiberius:

Manyroots smiles as you speak, and beckons you to walk with him. "Of course, I'd be more than happy to answer some questions. What do you want to know?"

Kiki:

Deepseed and Kiki continue speaking for a while, and come to an informal agreement - the expedition will be housed by the seedlings as long as they wish. The seedlings are more than willing to trade with their surface-dwelling brethren. Many of them, in fact, want to go see the surface for themselves.

Thalen:

For a while, no response comes. Finally, though, Deepseed's 'voice' sounds in your head. <That...is an interesting artifact. Where did you find it?>

Archmage1
2013-12-14, 02:19 PM
Thalen smiles, quite happy. Deepseed recognizes it! Maybe he had some idea of how to get rid of it, or at least stop it from speaking in his head all the time. He didn't know what it was saying, but, then, he didn't really want to either.

"Ah! You recognize it? I found it in a cave, near my home."

OhMyGodImOnFire
2013-12-14, 03:03 PM
Moyra

Left alone by her party, the hellbred decides to finally explore the underground. Storybook in one hand, spellshard in the other, Moyra sets off in search of something, anything, that she could document. The clatter of Martin's bones is the only sound that accompanies her.

Gnarnia
2013-12-14, 05:23 PM
Delgar

Delgar regards the massive, crystal encrusted, stone carapaced man-scorpion with a broad smile. "No offense to those plant folk, but it's nice to meet someone normal lookin for a change!

Pleased to meet ya, the name's Delgar. This here be Digger. Truth be told, I think we've been lookin ta do the same as you. This here mine just opened up on the surface a short time ago, we came down to explore and do some mining ourselves. It was certainly a surprise to find others already livin' down here.

I'd be happy ta trade, but ta be honest, most of what I 'ave I'm already wearin. Have a look though!" Dropping his massive backpack to the floor, he shows off what he has in case any of it looks interesting looks to the Tai Shin. He has a few weapon & armor crystals they might find of particular interest along with his continual flame mining helmet. He might be willing to part with one of his more valuable belongings if it's of particular use to them and they're willing to trade up.

NotScaryBats
2013-12-14, 10:23 PM
Kiki is pleased with the agreement for now, and busies herself with organizing her miners and scientists into quarters and whatnot.

Thokk_Smash
2013-12-15, 01:01 AM
Tiberius:

Manyroots smiles as you speak, and beckons you to walk with him. "Of course, I'd be more than happy to answer some questions. What do you want to know?"

Tiberius smiles broadly and falls into step beside the seedling. Well, first, the obvious question: how did your species come into being? I doubt you came to be as half-dragons do, with a coupling of man and plant, he says in an odd tone, at once both joking and polite.

When Manyroots answers his first question, Tiberius continues: How long do seedlings tend to live? A century? More? Less?

Do you hail a specific god or gods? And what is Deepseed to your people as a whole; some form of guardian, being the "Keeper of the Seedlings"? Does he date back to the formation of your people?

salt3d
2013-12-16, 04:29 PM
"I am Digger," says Digger, "and I was created by Grendo Scissorcrank. You may have heard of him, if you've traveled to the surface in the last century."

Digger performs his now-familiar rotating-head-and-flashing-eyes routine, although at a quicker pace than previously, before returning his gaze to the creature.

"Grendo Scissorcrank would certainly be interested in conducting trade negotiations, although I cannot do so on his behalf. Perhaps you could join us when we return to Turrif; alternatively he might be interested in visiting himself. What call you tell us of the nature of these crystals? Do you have a name by which we can refer to you?"

RFLS
2013-12-18, 05:29 PM
Thalen

<No, sadly, I do not recognize it - all I know about it is what I can see. It is very, very powerful, though I'm sure you've discovered that already. Tell me, what can it do? Have you tested all of its capabilities?>

Deepseed's 'voice' sounds almost worried as he asks this, as though he doesn't quite want the answer.

Moyra

Not entirely sure what you're after here. Do you just want general descriptions of everything?

Digger and Delgar

The creature continues skittering about you, and at Delgar's offer, it reaches forward and pokes at his shirt. "This. What is this metal/shirt. We/I do not recognize it. Why do you wear it?"

The tai shin turns its head to look at Digger as he speaks, slowly rotating it back and forth as the metal man says his piece. "We/I have met Grendo. He is a friend of Tai Shin, though I do not think he knows us as me. We/I think you are right though - we/I should meet Grendo, and, more importantly, he should meet us/me."

At Digger's other questions, the tai shin waits patiently, and then answers them all rapid fire while still questioning Delgar about his mithral shirt.

"These crystals are natural in this area of the world. They glow because they serve as natural conduits for arcane energy, turning it into natural light. For my name - We/I apologize for the confusion. We/I am Tai Shin."

Tiberius

Manyroots answers your questions quietly and politely, by all signs more than happy to help you.

"We are the result of many years of arcane mutations. For a long time, we were as other species, but we relied on plants for everything. Over time, the naturally high magic of this area took its effects. After that....we are as you see today."

"We live....a very long time. I have already lived for four hundred years, and I am by no means the oldest among us. When we become Rooted Elders, our lives are near indefinite - none of them have ever died of old age. Deepseed himself is some millenia old, and shows no signs of age even as yet."

Archmage1
2013-12-18, 06:06 PM
Thalen frowns. Clearly, he was hoping for something a bit more informative, but, then, it was only a shot in the dark.
"It can shoot bolts of light, it talks to me in some strange language, and it sometimes makes me fly. Usually at the worst possible moment. I don't think that I am the one that controls when the abilities happen, or what they do, which is quite worrisome. It hasn't done anything else, that I know of, but... it could be doing almost anything."
He sighs.
"I was hoping... but... Would you know anyone who might know more?"

Gnarnia
2013-12-18, 09:21 PM
Delgar

Delgar loosens his shirt to demonstrate "It be mithril, fashioned ta act as a second skin and lend it's strength to the wearers and strengthend further with a bit of magic. I love the dark places, but the folk livin in them ain't always as friendly as you folk.... like that wyrm we ran into on the way down here." He scores his point by using a sharp instrument from his weaponsmithing tools to try and pierce the shirt, but the tool is unable to penetrate the armor.

Thokk_Smash
2013-12-20, 01:48 AM
Tiberius notes down the Rooted Elder's words, pondering them quietly. From where in this area does the high concentration of magic come? he asks. Is there a specific place, or is it simply that the entire area itself generates magic?

Also, may I take some specimens of various plants to observe on the expedition? To compare them with the plants I'm already familiar with and whatnot.

salt3d
2013-12-21, 08:02 AM
"Grendo Scissorcrank has not told me of Tai Shin," replies Digger, "although Grendo Scissorcrank usually only speaks to me to give instructions. In any case I would like to secure samples of these crystals for Grendo Scissorcrank. I am sure Grendo Scissorcrank will accept your offer to visit himself if Grendo Scissorcrank receives crystal samples."

RFLS
2014-01-04, 08:16 PM
Digger and Delgar

"Interesting..." Tai Shin falls silent, a rhythmic clicking coming from behind his mandibles.

"We will trade you many crystals for that shirt if you are willing. No. Better. Things are not worth as much as ideas. We will trade you knowledge of these crystals and their properties for the knowledge of how to make this shirt."

He's haggling.

He expects you to haggle back.

He hasn't told you everything about the crystals and what they do.

Thalen

<Tai Shin might know more about it; it/they have existed for a long time, and loves interesting things. The merchants/dark ones, too, may know something of it - they craft in their smithies and temples day in and day out. But no, this thing is alien to me>

Tiberius

Manyroots pauses for a while in answering you, as though considering what the best way to phrase his response would be. "The...walls between worlds are thin here. Creatures and people alike find it incredibly easy to draw power through the walls. In some areas, this is more true than others, and for different kinds of magic. Here, for instance, healing and growing magics are incredibly powerful - while those of fire and destruction sputter and die quickly."

It sounds as though he's saying there's planar overlap here.

There's planar overlap, and enough that planar traits are spilling over into the Material Plane.

Archmage1
2014-01-04, 08:26 PM
Thalen nods, not happy, but at least Manyroots had an idea for another lead, something that he hadn't been able to turn up since he had left his village. Still... who and what were this Tai Shin... and where might they be found...
Thalen speaks, slowly, clearly thinking about what he is saying, and planning as he went.
"Thank you for trying to help. Can you help a little bit more? Can you tell me about Tai Shin? And maybe give me an idea of where I might find it? And can you direct me to the merchants as well? Maybe I can convince Kiki to visit them, since we are here to meet new people."

Thokk_Smash
2014-01-07, 02:47 PM
Manyroots pauses for a while in answering you, as though considering what the best way to phrase his response would be. "The...walls between worlds are thin here. Creatures and people alike find it incredibly easy to draw power through the walls. In some areas, this is more true than others, and for different kinds of magic. Here, for instance, healing and growing magics are incredibly powerful - while those of fire and destruction sputter and die quickly."

It sounds as though he's saying there's planar overlap here.

There's planar overlap, and enough that planar traits are spilling over into the Material Plane.

Tiberius contemplates the seedling's words with some consternation. Do you know of other places near this village where the walls between worlds are weak? Is it simply the effects of the other planes, or have creatures from other planes ever appeared as well?

He does not like the import of the seedling's words; there could be untold consequences to the effects of planar overlap, although at the moment it seems benign enough. Perhaps he should speak with Deepseed about this...