PDA

View Full Version : Small, Tiny or even smaller races for a PC (spellcaster)

Ansem
2013-09-24, 01:18 PM
I want to make a spellcaster, probably wizard, but I can't decide if I'm going Changeling (then dual specialization perhaps) or something else.
It would seem very entertaining to be this little creature who will become god on earth.
Imagine a pixie in the party hurling fireballs killing people en masse whilst the fighter and cleric are WTF-faced. Also the fact it could ride on it's familiar.

What other small, tiny or smaller category races make decent, acceptable or perhaps damn good player characters? Not necessarily spellcasters ofcourse.

Bulhakov
2013-09-24, 02:43 PM
What system are you playing?
D&D has pixies: http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Pixie
Earthdawn has windlings

TaraSilverwind
2013-09-24, 03:00 PM
I want to make a spellcaster, probably wizard, but I can't decide if I'm going Changeling (then dual specialization perhaps) or something else.
It would seem very entertaining to be this little creature who will become god on earth.
Imagine a pixie in the party hurling fireballs killing people en masse whilst the fighter and cleric are WTF-faced. Also the fact it could ride on it's familiar.

What other small, tiny or smaller category races make decent, acceptable or perhaps damn good player characters? Not necessarily spellcasters ofcourse.

If this were Earthdawn, the windling race would be a fun choice. I'd create a character that was normally pretty softspoken, but as soon as battle begins and she starts throwing around destruction, she'd become maniacal, reveling in her own awesome power. Hmm, sounds like an interesting future character!

Segev
2013-09-24, 03:05 PM
White wyrmling dragons. Pseudodragons.

Ansem
2013-09-24, 03:33 PM
3.5, and I'm aware of Pixies but they can't be the only thing.

Bulhakov
2013-09-24, 05:02 PM
For flying - Aarakocra ?

For tiny races:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142936

Kuulvheysoon
2013-09-24, 05:07 PM
Muckdwellers (SK) and Jermalaines (MM... 2?)!

Metahuman1
2013-09-24, 05:33 PM
Maybe a Petal? (Monster Manual 3)

Fax Celestis
2013-09-24, 05:36 PM
Skiurids in MM-IV get my vote.

killem2
2013-09-24, 05:41 PM
Beguiler from shining south.

Halfling is great.

Psyren
2013-09-24, 06:30 PM
If you're willing to look at Psion instead of Wizard, consider the Tibbit from DrC - they can shapeshift into a Tiny housecat. As a psion you can still manifest in that form.

John Longarrow
2013-09-24, 06:30 PM
1/2 Fey Halfling works well. I'd still have to say Petal though (-8 STR, +10 DEX, +4 CON (Who knew?), +4 INT, +8 CHA) with only 2 level adjustment? In some ways better than pixie.

Coure (Eladrin from BoED) is tiny, but as an outsider has a LA of +5 and 2 Racial HD. Still, (-4 STR, +14 Dex, +2 Con, +2 Int, +4 Cha) with some nifty abilities probably won't meet what you are looking for.

ericp65
2013-09-25, 09:54 PM
If by some small miracle you can use Arcana Evolved, the three varieties of Faen are interesting.

bekeleven
2013-09-25, 10:04 PM
Petal is great... too bad it's LA is cohort only. To get around that, make it an incarnate half-golem. The stats are way worse (-8 +8 0 -2 0 +2) and it loses its (mostly useless) racial abilities, but it retains its flight, gains natural armor 3, and the level adjustment drops from 2 to 0.

Also recommended: Beguiler (already said): Tiny, +6 Dex, +2 Int. LA is Cohort-only as well. Has true seeing at will; a sane DM will nerf it. Has incredibly good racial abilities such as +8 racial hide on top of being tiny, multiattack as a bonus, and a climb speed.

Jermlaine: Tiny, +6 Dex, +6 Wis, minuses to every other stat. LA +0.

Muckdweller: Poor chassis for a divine caster because of hits to WIS and CHA, but it's tiny and has +6 Dex (and weapon finesse) for LA +0.

Desert Kobold with RotD Web: Slight build makes it count as tiny for a lot. -4 STR, +2 Dex, -2 Wis, +1 NA. I bring it up because with Dragonwraught as a first level feat the mental stats go to +3/+1/+3.

Vizzerdrix
2013-09-26, 12:50 AM
Skiurids in MM-IV get my vote.

If only they had a listed LA...

If you truly want to get itty bitty, Start as either a Half Giant or Eniko and apply Return to Nature several times. For extra oompf make sure to apply Primordial Giant as well.

Icarusthefallen
2013-09-26, 11:39 AM
I once used this http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Child_Necromancer_(3.5e_Feat) on a female gnome (or halfling I can't remember) and she steamrolled the campaign. It was very fun, but then again I tend to enjoy hordes of undead at my command.

Vizzerdrix
2013-09-26, 12:49 PM
I once used this http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Child_Necromancer_(3.5e_Feat) on a female gnome (or halfling I can't remember) and she steamrolled the campaign. It was very fun, but then again I tend to enjoy hordes of undead at my command.

AAAAH! D&DWiki! it burns!

ShurikVch
2013-09-26, 01:37 PM
Gruwaar - small fey from Dragon #317 with +2 to Dex & Cha, LA +0.

eggynack
2013-09-26, 05:53 PM
Strongheart halfling is pretty sweet for any character you'd care to name. It's like a halfling with a bonus feat. They get it in exchange for the saving throw bonus, but that is a less good thing.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-09-26, 06:01 PM
If you're willing to look at Psion instead of Wizard, consider the Tibbit from DrC - they can shapeshift into a Tiny housecat. As a psion you can still manifest in that form.

You can take surrogate spellcasting from Savage Species if you want to cast in Cat form, though obviously Psions are ahead since they don't need that feat.

Just for completeness sake there is also hairy spider which was (mistakenly) given LA +0 in Monsters of Faerūn if I am not mistaken.

TiaC
2013-09-26, 06:32 PM
Sparrow Hengeyoukai. No LA and bird form overwrites physical stats. Play a ray user to take advantage of your 25 dex.