PDA

View Full Version : Making a Character Based on a Fairytale for a Savage Worlds RWBY Campaign (Done)

Amaril
2013-09-24, 02:07 PM
Hey everybody :smallsmile: So, I could use a bit of advice. I'm currently on the list to join a PbP game of Savage Worlds based in the setting of RWBY, and someone else on the thread indicated that everyone's characters should be based on ones from fairytales, like the ones in the show apparently are. I didn't realize all the characters in RWBY were inspired by fairytales (some of them, definitely, but if literally all of them are, it's not obvious to me), and I'm still not sure whether that's actually the case or just that person's interpretation. Regardless, though, in case it turns out that person was right and we're all expected to take inspiration from a fairytale character, I've been trying to come up with some ideas. The problem is that I don't know too much about classic fairytales, and I'm a little stuck. Can anybody who's familiar with RWBY possibly help me out with this?

Sith_Happens
2013-09-24, 05:07 PM
I didn't realize all the characters in RWBY were inspired by fairytales (some of them, definitely, but if literally all of them are, it's not obvious to me),

It's just Team RWBY that are (plus Glenda and Ozpin if The Wizard of Oz counts).

Amaril
2013-09-24, 05:25 PM
It's just Team RWBY that are (plus Glenda and Ozpin if The Wizard of Oz counts).

Some of them are really obvious, like Ruby and Jean (apparently it's not just fairytales, but also other mythology and other stories), but I never would have noticed that everyone else was based on some existing character if it hadn't been pointed out to me. Regardless, now that I know more about my options, I'm making a character inspired by the Norse god Frey. Thanks, though :smallsmile:

Sith_Happens
2013-09-24, 07:11 PM
Some of them are really obvious, like Ruby and Jean (apparently it's not just fairytales, but also other mythology and other stories), but I never would have noticed that everyone else was based on some existing character if it hadn't been pointed out to me. Regardless, now that I know more about my options, I'm making a character inspired by the Norse god Frey. Thanks, though :smallsmile:

Team JNPR pretty obviously take their inspirations from the warrior archetypes of various cultures (Jaune=Western European, Pyrrha=Greek/Roman, Nora=Norse, Ren=Chinese?), though only Jaune has any reference to a specific character/person.

Amaril
2013-09-24, 07:18 PM
Team JNPR pretty obviously take their inspirations from the warrior archetypes of various cultures (Jaune=Western European, Pyrrha=Greek/Roman, Nora=Norse, Ren=Chinese?), though only Jaune has any reference to a specific character/person.

Oh, yeah, I can see that now (though I think Ren is probably more ninja-inspired than Chinese). Guess each team is supposed to have an overriding theme to it, but I doubt my group will be able to agree on one we're all ok with...we probably just won't worry about it, although it'll be cool if we do come up with one to use.

Forrestfire
2013-09-24, 07:31 PM
For neat fairy tails, I'm partial to The Girl Without Hands (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Girl_Without_Hands) myself.

You could have the character have Dust-powered cyborg hands, and depending on how much of the story you want to pull, the character has a very, very good reason for going to Beacon/entering the campaign.