PDA

View Full Version : Warlock and goliath

dhusarra
2013-09-24, 03:02 PM
hello i have 2 questions

1.can a goliath wield 2 two handed weapons for purpose of power attack?or only the monkey grip can do this?

2.i have a warlock that said in 13-14 level and while he gain and hellfire warlock he can cast quickened hellfire blast vitriolic chain and later bestow negative level without saving throw and in standard action again all that...is possible?

Manly Man
2013-09-24, 03:12 PM
As long as the weapons that the Goliath are wielding are Medium-sixed, then yes, he could use two of them; dual-wielding greatswords is wonderful if you're trying ot be ridiculous; take Exotic Weapon Proficiency: bastard sword, and then use two fullblades instead to be a flat out Final Fantasy character.

And with the Warlock, yes, you can do all that in one round. Folks who want a chance to shine in battle may or may not be pissed at you for doing so much damage in one turn, but cest la vie.

Malroth
2013-09-24, 03:24 PM
still less damage and more usage of daily abilties than an empowered fireball so i fail to see the problem with it.

Equinox
2013-09-24, 03:29 PM
And with the Warlock, yes, you can do all that in one round. Folks who want a chance to shine in battle may or may not be pissed at you for doing so much damage in one turn, but cest la vie.Correction: NO, HE CAN'T. Vitriolic has an effective spell level of 6. Quicken Spell-Like Ability (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsterFeats.htm#quickenSpellLikeAbility) requires level 20 before you can Quicken [the equivalents of] 6th level spells. The most he can do at level 14 is to Quicken [the equivalent of] a 3rd level spell.

nedz
2013-09-24, 03:38 PM
2.i have a warlock that said in 13-14 level and while he gain and hellfire warlock he can cast quickened hellfire blast vitriolic chain and later bestow negative level without saving throw and in standard action again all that...is possible?

The relevant table is here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsterFeats.htm#quickenSpellLikeAbility), also it's in the MM.

Vitriolic Blast is a 6th level SLA and so you have to be 20th level — CArc p136.
Eldritch Chain is a 4th level SLA and so you have to be 16th level — CArc p135.

So: no.

You might be able to do this the other way around.
How are you bestowing a negative level ?
I.e. what level is that SLA ?

Ed: Warlocked

dhusarra
2013-09-24, 03:42 PM
ok now in 10 level he has maximized empowered spell like ability?he is doing 54 hp damage?
in 11 level he takes vitriolic to bypass SR and its very good damage to bypass all creatures

Chronos
2013-09-24, 03:45 PM
Neither Goliath nor Monkey Grip lets you dual-wield two-handed weapons. Instead, they let you wield one-handed weapons of one size larger. A Large-scale longsword is very similar to a Medium-scale greatsword, but they are not considered interchangeable. And there's no one-handed weapon that's similar to a longspear or other reach weapon.

Also, Monkey Grip still leaves you with a penalty for wielding oversized weapons, and that penalty is almost always more than the added damage is worth. You're better off just using Power Attack and a normal-sized weapon.

Equinox
2013-09-24, 03:51 PM
Both Empower Spell-Like Ability and Maximize Spell-Like Ability have the same cap on ability level: Caster level divided by 2, minus 2.

So you need to be level 16 to Empower/Maximize a 6th level SLA. At level 10, the best you can do is 3rd level.

Also, note that combining both Empower and Maximize doesn't work as well as some people think:

An empowered maximized spell-like ability gains the benefit of each feat separately (getting the maximum result plus one-half the normally rolled result). So, a maximized, empowered 6d6 is NOT 54. It's 36+(half of 6d6), which comes up to about 46 on average.

nedz
2013-09-24, 04:06 PM
Not quite:

The table for Empower SLA is here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsterFeats.htm#empowerSpellLikeAbility), also MM p304
Maximise SLA uses the same table — CArc p81.

So you need to be 10th to use either, or both.
Neither Empower SLA nor Maximise SLA increase the CL of the resultant SLA.

You are right about the damage calculations though.

Ed: there is a minor dysfunction on the table in that it list CL 4 to Empower a level 0 SLA, but you have to be CL 6 to take the feat.

Equinox
2013-09-24, 04:12 PM
Not quite:

The table for Empower SLA is here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsterFeats.htm#empowerSpellLikeAbility), also MM p304
Maximise SLA uses the same table — CArc p81.
Yes quite. What the table lists is exactly Caster level divided by 2, minus 2.

dhusarra
2013-09-24, 04:13 PM
ok now again two questions.

1.can a goliath wield 2 greataxe or two weapons in each hand and take power attack x2 damage?
2.a warlock can do in standard action chain vitriolic hellfire blast?

Chronos
2013-09-24, 04:16 PM
1.can a goliath wield 2 greataxe or two weapons in each hand and take power attack x2 damage?
No, because a goliath needs two hands to wield a two-handed weapon, same as anyone else. They could dual-wield large battleaxes, but they'd take penalties for their offhand weapon not being light, and they'd only get normal power attack, since they're one-handed.

Equinox
2013-09-24, 04:18 PM

But of course.
Hellfire = replaces basic Eldritch Blast (assuming he has levels in Hellfire Warlock), which is done as a standard action.
Vitriolic = blast essence (you're allowed to apply one)
Chain = blast shape (you're allowed to apply one)

nedz
2013-09-24, 04:27 PM
So you need to be level 16 to Empower/Maximize a 6th level SLA. At level 10, the best you can do is 3rd level.

This is the incorrect assertion; because

Neither Empower SLA nor Maximise SLA increase the CL of the resultant SLA.

Manly Man
2013-09-24, 04:31 PM
Correction: NO, HE CAN'T. Vitriolic has an effective spell level of 6. Quicken Spell-Like Ability (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsterFeats.htm#quickenSpellLikeAbility) requires level 20 before you can Quicken [the equivalents of] 6th level spells. The most he can do at level 14 is to Quicken [the equivalent of] a 3rd level spell.

My bad. I haven't played a Warlock for awhile, and so my SLA knowledge is pretty rusty. :smallredface:

Equinox
2013-09-24, 04:32 PM
I have no idea what you're arguing with, nedz. Which part of my posts convinced you I was asserting that either Empower SLA or Maximise SLA increases the CL of the resultant SLA?

nedz
2013-09-24, 04:37 PM
I have no idea what you're arguing with, nedz. Which part of my posts convinced you I was asserting that either Empower SLA or Maximise SLA increases the CL of the resultant SLA?

My apologies, I misread your statement.

KillianHawkeye
2013-09-24, 09:59 PM

You don't get x2 Power Attack unless you are wielding the weapon in two hands.

Gwendol
2013-09-25, 03:29 AM
ok now again two questions.

What makes you think a goliath can do that? They are bound by the same rules as everyone else with one exception (regarding weapon size): they can wield weapons made for a creature one size larger with no penalty. That's it.

Big Fau
2013-09-25, 07:22 AM
ok now in 10 level he has maximized empowered spell like ability?he is doing 54 hp damage?
in 11 level he takes vitriolic to bypass SR and its very good damage to bypass all creatures

54 damage is very low for an 11th level character (a moderately optimized Barbarian could have been doing damage like that since level 6; the expected damage output of an 11th level Tier 4 is somewhere in the low hundreds).

The part about bypassing SR and DR is the only relevant bit, but it still requires a Ranged Touch attack (touch AC can be pumped pretty high with a little effort).

Darrin
2013-09-25, 09:01 AM

As others have pointed out, no.

Unless he gets another pair of arms. This post lists several methods to add extra arms (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15034731&postcount=10). Taking two levels of Totemist (Magic of Incarnum) is probably the easiest method.