PDA

View Full Version : The Slayers! 3.5 PrC. PEACH

TheFamilarRaven
2013-09-24, 03:48 PM
Ok, so the general idea with these classes is to create an anti-mage class thats not already a mage. I am well aware that the most efficient anti-caster classes happen to be other caster classes. But this PrC is unique in that it is a campaign world specific PrC (My campaign world specifically). the reason I made these classes was because they just made sense for the campaign world and the Occult Slayer PrC is lackluster. (Although one should note I borrowed from the class)

The general idea is that both of these PrC's are members of The Slayers, an organization dedicated to combating magic. They are only based in one country (Scolis), and their whole purpose is to fight Scarthian Witchs, (Basically a homebrew creature with sorcerer spells) that are quite the problem in Scolis. If you need a reference, the Slayers are akin to the Templars of the Dragon Age setting, only instead of their primary focus of hunting down rogue mages, they hunt down and kill Scarthians

So please critique these PrC's and let me know what you think.

The Slayers

Over centuries, magic has created wondrous inventions and committed horrible atrocities, depending on where the coin lands. For the land of Scolis, it is the latter. No where else in the world will you find a land more mistrusting and spiteful towards magic. Scolis, a land ravaged by war, is also the land of witches and their demon familiars. They destroy what they can, and enslave men to do their bidding. Were it not for The Slayers, Scolis would be a black land, cursed and haunted by the souls tortured at the hands of the Scarthian Witches.
In Scolis, a religious order of knights known as The Slayers have a large stronghold. Their belief is that magic, while not inherently evil, is not something that should be trusted to most mortals. They make it their mission to hunt down and destroy witches, demons or any other unnatural creatures that shun from the light.
Among The Slayers, two disciplines are taught, Vanguard and Hunter. Alone, each proves a formidable opponent to any wielder of magic. Together, they serve as the bane of all things arcane.

The Slayer Vanguard

The Vanguard
Only fools rush in, especially when they know that they're rushing straight into the line of fire of a wizard. But charge the Vanguard does, and the wizard is at no more of an advantage than if he lost his spellbook.
The Vanguards are Slayers adept at disrupting and brutalizing mages and demons in melee. Sprinting headlong into danger is just part of their job. One they are happy to perform. A Vanguard's strike can strip away magic, siphon spells and deal extra damage to any caster. In addition they can focus enough to attack a mage even while casting defensively.

Requirements
Base Attack bonus of +6
Feats: Combat Reflexes, Weapon Focus (melee weapon), Step Up
Skills: Knowledge (Arcana) 6, Knowledge (Religion) 6 ranks
Special: Must be a member of The Slayers

GAME RULE INFORMATION

Class Skills
Craft (INT), Climb (Str), Diplomacy (CHA), Intimidate (CHA), Knowledge (Arcana) (INT), Knowledge (Religion) Profession (WIS), Ride (DEX), Sense Motive (WIS),
Skill Points Per Level: 2 + Intelligence modifier

Hitdice d10

Level
Base Attack Bonus
Fort Save
Ref Save
Will Save
Special

1st
+1
+2
+0
+2
Disruptive, Weapon Bond,

2nd
+2
+3
+0
+3
Anticipate Casting, Mind Over Magic 1/day

3rd
+3
+3
+1
+3
Magic Defense +1, Mettle

4th
+4
+4
+1
+4
Aura Detection, Mage Slayer 1/day

5th
+5
+4
+1
+4
Magical Defense +2, Mind Over Magic 2/day, Unswayed by Magic

6th
+6
+5
+2
+5
Greater Weapon Bond, Mage Slayer 2/day

7th
+7
+5
+2
+5
Magical Defense +3, Spellbreaker

8th
+8
+6
+2
+6
Amnesia Strike, Mind Over Magic 3/day

9th
+9
+6
+3
+6
Magical Defense +4

10th
+10
+7
+3
+7
Dispelling Strike, Mage Slayer 3/day

Armor & Weapon Proficiency: The Vanguard does not gain any new proficiency with any Armor type or weapon.

Disruptive The Vanguard receives the Disruptive feat as a bonus feat, even though they may not meet the prerequisites for the feat.

Weapon Bond (SU): A 1st level Vanguard trains so much with their weapon that they form a bond with it. In order to create a bonded weapon, a Vanguard must practice with the weapon in question (which must be of at least masterwork quality, and it must be the weapon they have weapon focus with) for one day, doing little of anything else (no adventuring). Once bonded, the Weapon deals an extra 1d6 to evil outsiders with the [Evil] subtype, and any creature with the ability to cast spells or has spell-like abilities. The bonded weapon bypasses any damage reduction the creature might possess. The extra damage is not multiplied on a critical hit, but is not considered precision damage. At 6th level the bonus damage increases to 2d6.

Anticipate Casting (EX): At 2nd level, a Vanguard is adept at predicting the movements and incantations of spell casters. As an immediate action, a Vanguard may make a single charge attack whenever an enemy begins casting a spell, or using a spell-like ability, using the normal rules for charging (i.e must charge in a straight line). The target of this ability must be within the normal movement speed the Vanguard can make with one move action. The Vanguard resolves the attack and damage rolls before the target of this ability finishes casting the spell. If the Vanguard successfully hits, the attack deals double damage. If a Vangaurd uses this ability, they may not act on their next turn.

Mind Over Magic (SU): At 2nd level, a Vanguard gains the ability to reflect a spell that targets him back onto the caster, as Spell Turning, the caster level equals the Vanguard's class levels +5. The Vanguard can use this ability 1/day at 2nd level, 2/day at 5th level and 3/day at 8h level

Mettle (EX): At 3rd level and higher, a Vanguard can resist magical and unusual attacks with great willpower or fortitude. If he makes a successful Will or Fortitude save against an attack that normally would have a lesser effect on a successful save (such as any spell with a saving throw entry of Will half or Fortitude partial), he instead completely negates the effect. An unconscious or sleeping Vanguard does not gain the benefit of mettle.

Magical Defense (EX): By 3rd level the Vanguard, through extensive training, gains a +1 bonus to all saves against spells and spell-like abilities. This improves to +2 at 5th level, +3 at 7th level and +4 at 9th level.

Mage Slayer (EX): 1/day at 4th level the Vanguard, through an intense amount of focus and timing can strike a spell-caster while they are casting a spell, even if the target is casting defensively. This ability can be used 2/day at 6th level and 3/day at 10th level.

Aura Detection (SU): At 4th level, the Vanguard can detect magical auras within 60ft of him at will as though using the Detect Magic spell, caster level equals Vanguard class levels.

Unswayed by Magic (EX): A 5th level the Vanguard becomes immune to any spells with the [Charm] or [Compulsion] descriptors.

Spellbreaker A 7th level Vanguard receives the Spellbreaker feat as a bonus feat, even though they may not meet the prerequisites for the feat.

Amnesia Strike (EX): By 8th level, the Vanguard has become so skilled at fighting magic users that he is able to siphon away part of their power. If the Vanguard successfully damages a caster using either his Anticipate Casting, or Mage Slayer features, the target loses a spell slot of the highest level prepared (if a prepared caster), loses the ability to cast a spell of their highest known spell level for 1 minute (if a spontaneous caster), or loses the ability to use a spell-like of the highest level for 1 minute (if applicable). The spell lost is up to the caster, but it must be of the highest level they are currently able to cast. I.e if a 7th level wizard no longer has any 4th level spells prepared, they lose a 3rd level spell slot.

Dispelling Strike (SU): At 10th level, a Vanguard can cut through the very essence of magic, nullifying most spells. Whenever a Vanguard deals damage while using either his Anticipate Casting or Mage Slayer features, in addition to Amnesia Strike, he may attempt to strip the spell caster of their magical support. This ability functions as the targeted dispel option of Dispel Magic, Greater, with a caster level equal to the twice the number of levels the character has in Vanguard.

The Scarthian Hunter

The Hunter

If the Vanguard rushes headlong into hellfire, the Hunter uses precision, wit, guile and stealth to slay the Scarthian Witches. The Hunter is adept at stalking spell casters, and even avoiding magical detection and wards. A skilled Hunter can deprive any caster of their most powerful spells before they even know whats happening.

Requirements:
Base Attack bonus: +4
Feats: Weapon Focus (ranged), Point blank Shot, Precise Shot
Skills: Bluff 6 ranks, Knowledge (Arcana) 6 ranks, Knowledge (Religion) 6 ranks, Stealth 6 ranks
Special: Sneak Attack (or similar precision based damage ability), must be member of The Slayers (see below)

GAME RULE INFORMATION

CLASS SKILLS
Acrobatics (DEX), Appraise (INT), Bluff (CHA), Craft (INT) Diplomacy (CHA), Disable Device (DEX), Knowledge (Arcana) (INT), Knowledge (Religion) (INT), Linguistics (INT), Perception (WIS), Profession (WIS) Stealth (DEX), Use Magic Device (CHA)

Skill Points Per Level: 6 + Intelligence Modifier

Hitdice: d8

Level
Base Attack Bonus
Fort Save
Ref Save
Will Save
Special

1st
+0
+0
+2
+2
Disruptive Shot 1/day, Evasion, Weapon Bond

2nd
+1
+0
+3
+3
Sneak Attack 1d6, Null Spell

3rd
+2
+1
+3
+3
Improved Evasion, Magical Defense +1

4th
+3
+1
+4
+4
Aura Detection, Sneak Attack +2d6

5th
+3
+1
+4
+4
Disrupting Shot 2/day, Magical Defense +2

6th
+4
+2
+5
+5
Greater Weapon Bond, Sneak Attack +3d6

7th
+5
+2
+5
+5
Magical Defense +3

8th
+6
+2
+6
+6
Maim the Witch, Sneak Attack +4d6

9th
+6
+3
+6
+6
Magical Defense + 4

10th
+7
+3
+7
+7
Disrupting Shot 3/day, Invisible to Magic, Sneak Attack +5d6

Armor & Weapon Proficiency: The Hunter does not gain any new proficiency with any Armor type or weapon.

Weapon Bond (SU): A 1st level Hunter trains so much with their weapon that they form a bond with it. In order to create a bonded weapon, a Hunter must practice with the weapon in question (which must be of at least masterwork quality, and it must be the weapon they have weapon focus with) for one day, doing little of anything else (no adventuring). Once bonded, the Weapon deals an extra 1d6 to evil outsiders with the [Evil] subtype, and any creature with the ability to cast spells or has spell-like abilities. The bonded weapon bypasses any damage reduction the creature might possess. The extra damage is not multiplied on a critical hit, but is not considered precision damage. At 6th level the bonus damage increases to 2d6.

Evasion (EX): The Hunter gains the Evasion ability (See Rogue entry in the Core Rule book). If she already possess the Evasion ability, she receives the Mettle class feature as a Vanguard (see Vanguard entry).

Disrupting Shot (EX): 1/day at 1st level, the Hunter, through an intense amount of focus and timing, may make a ranged attack as an attack of opportunity, against an enemy who is casting a spell or using a spell-like ability. This sudden shot catches spell casters off guard, and thus are flat-footed to the Hunter. The target of this ability must be within 30ft of the Hunter. This ability can be used 2/day at 5th level and 3/day at 10th level.

Sneak Attack (EX):At 2nd level a hunter gains the Sneak Attack ability, (see rogue entry in the Core Rule Book). These stack with any other form of Sneak Attack granted by other classes

Null Spell (SU): By 2nd level, the Hunter is a skilled disabler of magic users. Whenever a Hunter successfully hits a creature, that can also cast spells (or has access to spell-like abilities) with a sneak attack, the Hunter disrupts that creature's magical capabilities. The creature must make a Will save (DC = 10 + Hunter class levels + Number of Sneak Attack Dice Rolled), or else lose a spell slot (if a prepared caster), lose the ability to cast a spell for 1 minute (if a spontaneous caster) or the use of one of their spell-like abilities (if applicable). Spell slots from spell casting classes are always lost before spell-like abilities. The Hunter may choose which spell level is affected by this ability, but they may only target spells of a level less than or equal to the number of sneak attack dice.

For example, Iera has 5 levels in Hunter, and hits a 9th level wizard with a sneak attack. Iera rolls 5d6 extra dice with her sneak attack, so she may remove choose to nullify a spell of 5th level or lower. The DC to resist the effect is 20.

Regardless of what level of spell the Hunter targets, the caster may choose which spell to lose, provided it's of the spell level chosen by the Hunter.

Magical Defense (EX): By 3rd level the Hunter, through extensive training, gains a +1 bonus to all saves against spells and spell-like abilities. This improves to +2 at 5th level, +3 at 7th level and +4 at 9th level.

Improved Evasion (EX): At 3rd level, the Hunter gains Improved Evasion (see Rogue entry in Core Rule Book.

Aura Detection (SU): At 4th level, the Hunter can detect magical auras within 60ft of her at will as though using the Detect Magic spell, caster level equals Hunter class levels. She can only determine the presence and number of auras, not strength or purpose.

Maim The Witch (EX): At 8th level, a Hunter's sneak attacks become debilitating to spell casters. For every successful sneak attack against an creature who has access to arcane spell casting, the creature suffers an arcane spell failure chance of 10%. This penalty is cumulative, but cannot exceed 50%. The effect can be removed by any magical healing or a full day's rest.

Invisible to Magic (SU): By 10th level, the Hunter has become a master of avoiding magical detection. She no longer need worry about triggering wards, or symbols while using stealth. She is completely immune to scrying attempts or any other magical attempts to discern her identity or location, and she gains a +5 competence bonus when searching for, and disabling magical traps.

There you have it... Please comment and critique my work. Thank you.

eftexar
2013-09-24, 04:26 PM
I was dissapointed when this didn't have anything to do with anime. The explanation point just screamed that to me when I saw it... Anyways, onto the peaching.

Honestly I don't see why there needs to be any alignment restriction. It precludes the exclusion of any chance of corrupution among the order, which I imagine would lend well to what seems to be a grittier than usual campaign.

I'm not a big fan of doing PrCs over something that could be a base class, but I can see why you might have done so for flavour reasons. Honestly the PrCs are enough of their own concept I'd like to see them extended to at least 14 or so levels.
If you do make them base classes I could see PF rogue talents for the Hunter and some barbarian rage or monk abilities in the Vangaurd.

You should probably specifically note that Disrupting Shot can force a concentration check even if they are casting defensively. As of now that doesn't seem clear enough to me.

[edit]: And also, while this isn't really that bit of a deal, how do you intend for them to interact with other "magic" users, such as powers, invocations, mysteries, binding, etc, if at all?

TheFamilarRaven
2013-09-24, 04:51 PM
I was dissapointed when this didn't have anything to do with anime. The explanation point just screamed that to me when I saw it... Anyways, onto the peaching.

My apologizes

Honestly I don't see why there needs to be any alignment restriction. It precludes the exclusion of any chance of corrupution among the order, which I imagine would lend well to what seems to be a grittier than usual campaign.

The alignment requirement is there to imply that if you don't follow the Slayer code (they are a religious order), you get kicked out and can't take anymore levels in the class, but you don't loose class features like a paladin. I don't include all the order rules and such because I simply wanted the abilities critiqued.

I guess you can think of it as a requirement to join the order, not to stay in it. But at the same time the order fights evil casters and demons so I though it made sense to put any non-evil.

I'm not a big fan of doing PrCs over something that could be a base class, but I can see why you might have done so for flavour reasons. Honestly the PrCs are enough of their own concept I'd like to see them extended to at least 14 or so levels.
If you do make them base classes I could see PF rogue talents for the Hunter and some barbarian rage or monk abilities in the Vangaurd.

I feel like the classes are too specialized for them to be base classes.. with some alteration (and yes, some of the PF rules would be good) I could probably make a base class out of it. But as it is now, i don't thinks that's necessary

You should probably specifically note that Disrupting Shot can force a concentration check even if they are casting defensively. As of now that doesn't seem clear enough to me.

Done and Done .... thanks for your feedback!

TheFamilarRaven
2013-09-25, 01:57 AM
[edit]: And also, while this isn't really that bit of a deal, how do you intend for them to interact with other "magic" users, such as powers, invocations, mysteries, binding, etc, if at all?

funny I didn't think of this since one of my players is a Shadow Caster (albeit the lamest shadow caster to walk the face of the earth)
Mysteries: Amnesia strike would stripe away one additional use of the mystery being cast (If I recall that's of shadow casters worked)
Null Spell simply declare what level of mystery is being targeted, 9it would be difficult to justify targeted a specific mystery in character without the hunter knowing the Mystery List of the SC in question)

Psionics don't really exist in my campaign world so they're not a problem.

other than those I'd have to do a little reading to refresh my memory on how each of those worked, then come up with a fix.

Thanks for the catch