PDA

View Full Version : Random Question

Trueknowndwarf
2013-09-24, 04:02 PM
Hi, This question is directed to the giant. The thread to say hello for new members was closed so this is the only way I know how to post, so hello! My question is, will we ever find out what the back story is behind Roy's little brother that he was hanging out with in heaven?

Cizak
2013-09-24, 04:19 PM
Rich never reveals what may or may not be future plot points on the forums.

Greatmoustache
2013-09-24, 04:22 PM
it's implied that eric died because of eugene's magic experiments. roy tried to warn him but he was like "silence child, i know what i'm doing!"

would love to read actual strips about it.

Dwy
2013-09-24, 04:23 PM
I'm no Giant. However, what happened to the little guy seems to be the likely missing link between Eugene's monologue to a certain goblin in Start of Darkness and the current mutual disapproval between Roy and Eugene.

It'll also likely explain the relationship between Roy and Julia better.

As such... it might come around. It's make a lot of sense from a story-telling POV.

Then again, some things are better left unexplained too. If we get to know Roy that well, will he still be a hero to us, or just the logical product of his upbringing and enviroment?

Trueknowndwarf
2013-09-24, 04:23 PM
Hello Cizak,
You seem to know your way around pretty well, how do I view how my profile looks and can I change my avatar? Yours looks cool because it kind of looks like O-Chul but I don't like mine. How do I change it?

Vinsfeld
2013-09-24, 04:24 PM
it's implied that eric died because of eugene's magic experiments. roy tried to warn him but he was like "silence child, i know what i'm doing!"

would love to read actual strips about it.

I'm not sure if I'd like to read it. It seems pretty sad. :smallfrown:

Trueknowndwarf
2013-09-24, 04:25 PM
Greatmoustache, are you really from Istanbul? How are you posting in English?

Dwy
2013-09-24, 04:28 PM
I'm not sure if I'd like to read it. It seems pretty sad. :smallfrown:

And would Eugene still represent the duality of the role of a father so well if we learn exactly how the powerful magician failed to save his own son?

Greatmoustache
2013-09-24, 04:29 PM
umm, because i learned it in 5th grade? (also my camel has wi-fi.)

Ramien
2013-09-24, 05:07 PM
I really hope not.

Roy couldn't have been much older than 5 or 6, so it's going to be about on par with 'The Little Psion That Could' as far as adding any more to his character development beyond what we already know.

Given what description we have, it's really unlikely to make me look at Eugene any better, and might make my opinion of Ghost Dad worse. It's also likely to be very dark and depressing, and no real opportunity for humor, especially without any of the resident evil snarkers present.

Personal feelings on what happened? Eugene was in his lab doing something, Eric wandered in, Roy tried to warn Eugene, was ignored, and accident happened. Maybe it cemented Roy's desire to be a fighter instead of using magic, but it seemed like his grandfather's sword had more to do with it.

nogall
2013-09-24, 05:55 PM

The camel bit wins you this thread, sir! :))

Bulldog Psion
2013-09-24, 07:39 PM

I bow before your sense of humor. :smallsmile:

dtilque
2013-09-24, 08:23 PM
Roy couldn't have been much older than 5 or 6,

Roy was 10 when Eric died. Eric was 3 or 4 years old.

Sloanzilla
2013-09-24, 08:38 PM
thank you for reminding me of the only comic strip in history to bring tears to me eyes

Ramien
2013-09-24, 08:42 PM
Roy was 10 when Eric died. Eric was 3 or 4 years old.

Yeah, I forgot to do the math. Eric died 18 years ago and Roy died at 27.

Trueknowndwarf
2013-09-25, 12:13 AM
Ok, your camel does not actually have wifi but that was a good response. Seeing as Istanbul is the second worst traffic spot in the world after Cairo, the lack of city life or infrastructure is not what comes to mind for Istanbul. I wonder why Rich would have bothered to include that bit about Eric. It didn't really add anything because Roy could have just as well spent 3 months I don't know practicing sword fighting with his grandfather or cooking and talking with his mother. It kind of makes you think that there is going to be a cut in comic with the back story...but then there's not. I find it rather aggravating if you ask me.

Haluesen
2013-09-25, 12:19 AM

Decided to check out this thread and saw this, You are win. :smallsmile:

In response to OP, I might be pretty interested to see this too, how it happened, despite how sad it is. Also hello and welcome most heartily to the Playground!

Bulldog Psion
2013-09-25, 12:25 AM
Derail spoilered:

Just remember that if you ever go traveling. You can't make comments in English on the assumption that the locals are going to have no idea what you're saying. There's a fairly high probability, in fact, that any medium-sized group is going to have someone at least partly fluent in the language. :smallwink:

I was in Russia once, and a bunch of drunk British tourists were standing a few feet away making nasty jokes about everyone's appearance. Including mine, because they thought I was "just" an "ignorant" local guy who didn't know anything but Neander-Siberian or something. Of course, I had to let them run their course before commenting to them, "you chaps are certainly rays of London sunshine," just to see their faces. Hilarious. :smallamused:

So, it surprises me not a whit to find a fluent English speaker/writer in Istanbul. Heck, the random taxi driver who picked me up at the airport there last year was able to keep up about 90% of an English conversation.

Personally, I think we've run into as much of the backstory of Eric as we're going to. Not everything needs to be spelled out in excruciating detail, after all, and we get the general idea, anyway.

Mutant Sheep
2013-09-25, 12:26 AM
Ok, your camel does not actually have wifi but that was a good response. Seeing as Istanbul is the second worst traffic spot in the world after Cairo, the lack of city life or infrastructure is not what comes to mind for Istanbul. I wonder why Rich would have bothered to include that bit about Eric. It didn't really add anything because Roy could have just as well spent 3 months I don't know practicing sword fighting with his grandfather or cooking and talking with his mother. It kind of makes you think that there is going to be a cut in comic with the back story...but then there's not. I find it rather aggravating if you ask me.
No, Eric is the backstory. Part of why Roy and his father have such a screwed relationship, and some interesting (and very touching) moments for Roy's afterlife. It was also a good way to make Roy pass some time and not be thinking about the mortal plane. (His grandfather hadn't shown up until after he played with Eric). Horace training Roy for his return to the mortal plane wouldn't keep him distracted from it, unlike Eric, and I think part of the reason Eric was there was to allow the timeskip to be as long as it was. (Established Resistance and The Wedding, etc.). Roy only questioned the time of Celestia (and therefore got the plot going) because Horace made him think of it.

Cizak
2013-09-25, 01:39 AM
Hello Cizak,
You seem to know your way around pretty well, how do I view how my profile looks and can I change my avatar? Yours looks cool because it kind of looks like O-Chul but I don't like mine. How do I change it?

Click "User CP" further up the page. You can choose between forum avatars or use custom ones. Mine is a custom made one by forum user yldenfrei. Check the Arts & Crafts forum, they are often happy to make one for you.

I don't want to sound rude or condesending here, but you should be really careful when making comments like that. I'm sure you're a nice girl, but it makes you sound rather ignorant, excuse the expression. Greatmoustache took it with humor, but I've seen plenty of peple get very upset for alot less.

I wonder why Rich would have bothered to include that bit about Eric. It didn't really add anything because Roy could have just as well spent 3 months I don't know practicing sword fighting with his grandfather or cooking and talking with his mother. It kind of makes you think that there is going to be a cut in comic with the back story...but then there's not. I find it rather aggravating if you ask me.

In my opinion it added just enough. It gave us insight in what may have sparked the screwed up relationship between Roy and Eugene and it gave Roy a way to lose himself in an activity so that he spent months in Celestia without realising.

Ding ding, thread winner! If you're as egocentric as I am, you can put this in your sig by this point :smallbiggrin:

dric_dolphin
2013-09-25, 04:47 AM
Loved Greatmoustache answer! :smallbiggrin:

I would really like to see the story about Roy's brother. Sounds very much like Dumbledore and his sister! :smallsmile:

P.S.: English is a very common second language... most people learn it at school, even in Brazil, where I live.

Tass
2013-09-25, 06:20 AM
P.S.: English is a very common second language... most people learn it at school, even in Brazil, where I live.

Does your monkey have wifi?

My beer does :)

nephilia
2013-09-25, 07:31 AM

And even my pizza does (but unfortunately my spaghetti seems to be not skilled enough to learn how to connect the router to the telephone line :\ ) :D

PS: gimme a wi-fi beer pls :P

RMS Oceanic
2013-09-25, 07:44 AM

I'm not sure whether my craic or my crack does. :smalltongue:

F.Harr
2013-09-25, 08:43 AM
I'm no Giant. However, what happened to the little guy seems to be the likely missing link between Eugene's monologue to a certain goblin in Start of Darkness and the current mutual disapproval between Roy and Eugene.

It'll also likely explain the relationship between Roy and Julia better.

As such... it might come around. It's make a lot of sense from a story-telling POV.

Then again, some things are better left unexplained too. If we get to know Roy that well, will he still be a hero to us, or just the logical product of his upbringing and enviroment?

I've got in my mind an image of Eugene finally on the mountain and, after a rather stressfull encounter, him holding Eric and saying "I'm sorry" and Eric saying, "Hi daddy, I missed you". But I have personal reasons for thinking that way.

I really hope not.

QUOTE]

Whenever I hear about Eugene as a father, I wonder about Horace. I can't imagine he was totally blameless in his estrangement with Eugene.

[QUOTE=Tass;16093813]Does your monkey have wifi?

But does you anachronistic horned hat? Now me, presumably my pot of baked beans does, but I'm relatively new here and haven't been issued it, yet.

Sir_Leorik
2013-09-25, 11:56 AM

I've heard a (possibly apocryphal) story about a grade school student whose family moved from New Mexico to another state. When the teacher at the kid's new class heard where the student came from, she told her class not to make fun of the fact that their new classmate spoke Spanish and dressed differently. :smallamused:

Also, you should try the wi-fi camels that the Israeli start-up companies are putting out. They're faster (in both senses of the word) and they can operate for two weeks without needing to be plugged in, and they only need one hump! The Israelis' Dromedary 2.5 are going to revolutionize stereotype based internet service in the Middle East, mark my word! (They're already talking about working with a Chinese firm to make a Bactrian wi-fi camel!)