PDA

View Full Version : Half-Elves and Trancing

Wandering Saint
2013-09-24, 04:44 PM
Hello again, playgrounders! I've run into a conundrum that I would love some outside opinions on.
My party member has asked me to review the rules for the Team Benefit Group Trance (PHB2. Pg. 161)
I won't detail what it is here, but one of the prerequisites are either one Elf, or one Half-elf in the group. This would suggest that Half-elves are capable of Trancing.
However, looking back on the Half-elf description in PHB1 (Pg 18) there is no mention of trancing in the Half-Elf racial description. That said, Half-elves still gain immunity to sleep spells, again, suggesting that there may be some kind of Trance possibility, as full-blooded elves have the same immunity.
Now, whether or not Half-elves can trance is inconsequential to the group (As we have a full-blooded elf in the group who can serve the prerequisite's purpose.) This is merely a chance for my character (a half elf wizard) to shine in the eyes of the human rogue (and possible crush) of the group.

I suppose a sort of TLRD for this would be, "Do Half-elves trance?"

ericp65
2013-09-24, 09:17 PM
Half-elves sleep the same way humans do. Their inclusion in the description you cited states that elven blood is the key factor, rather than the elven ability to go into reverie for four hours instead of sleeping as humans do for eight in a given 24-hour period.

Bronk
2013-09-24, 09:35 PM
The half-elf need for true sleep comes up a lot in the 'Songs and Swords' series...

ddude987
2013-09-25, 12:49 AM
Half-Elves do not trance. They require sleep like everyone else, assuming your party sleeps.