PDA

View Full Version : Scaling Weapon focus/Point-blank Shot/Dodge(3.5 D&D, PEACH)

bobthe6th
2013-09-24, 05:42 PM
Scaling feat fixes are not a new thing. The most famous example is the tomes, but others have done it. This is just trying to be a low impact replacment fix. All it is trying to do is make the specified feats work properly.

So...

Weapon Focus
Prerequisites: +1 BAB
Benefit: Chose a weapon that you are proficient with. You get a bonus to hit equal to 1/4 your BAB rounded up.
Special: You may take this as a fighter bonus feat.
If you took this as a fighter bonus feat, you may apply this bonus to resist disarm checks and to saving throws that your chosen weapon makes(Such as resisting the shatter spell).

Point-Blank Shot
Benefit: You get a bonus on attack and damage rolls with ranged weapons at ranges of up to 30 feet equal to 1/4 your BAB rounded up.
You may also make Precision based attacks(skirmish, sneak attack, sudden strike ect.) with ranged weapons an additional 5ft per point of bonus this feat gives you.

Dodge
Prerequisites: 13 Dexterity
Benefit:You gain a dodge bonus to Armor Class equal to 1/4 your BAB rounded up.

Any condition that makes you lose your Dexterity bonus to Armor Class (if any) also makes you lose dodge bonuses. Also, dodge bonuses stack with each other, unlike most other types of bonuses.

If you take this as a fighter bonus feat, the dodge bonus applies to your reflex save.

So yeah... the two main features are BAB scaling, and cool things for taking them as a fighter bonus feats.

Edit: added rounding.

TheFamilarRaven
2013-09-24, 11:18 PM
Scaling feat fixes are not a new thing. The most famous example is the tomes, but others have done it. This is just trying to be a low impact replacment fix. All it is trying to do is make the specified feats work properly.

So...

Weapon Focus
Prerequisites: +1 BAB
Benefit: Chose a weapon that you are proficient with. You get a bonus to hit equal to 1/4 your BAB.
If you took this as a fighter bonus feat, you may apply this bonus to resist disarm checks and to saving throws that your chosen weapon makes(Such as resisting the shatter spell).

I can see what you want to do with this feat; make it worthwhile end game, but I'm a little iffy about it and here's why. lets
take a level 20 fighter, he probably has a +5 weapon of his focus, and lets give him a strength of 26 (16 +4, +6 belt). Then say there's a bard and a cleric in the party, inspire courage plus Bless and prayer (which stack if I'm not mistaken) This totals to +44/+39/+34/+29 If I did my math right. that a guaranteed hit (barring a natural 1) against even a Greatwyrm gold dragon (which has the highest AC to my knowledge coming from the MM1). and afterwards he only misses on rolls of 3, 8, 12 (respectively) or less. which are not difficult rolls. It's my experience that the fighter deals out more damage then I expect late game. Although the wizard in theory could blow creatures away, if we're in said Greatwyrm Gold dragon fight, the gold dragon has SR, and good saves to boot, but all he has against the fighter is his AC, which seems irrelevant. And that's against a creature 7 levels higher the the ECL of the party.

that being said, this feat is great mid levels when you don't have access to powerful magic items, and low levels it functions almost identically.

Also, I think Greater weapon focus would be jealous of his regular weapon focus cousin

Point-Blank Shot
Benefit: You get a bonus on attack and damage rolls with ranged weapons at ranges of up to 30 feet equal to 1/4 your BAB.
You may also make Precision based attacks(skirmish, sneak attack, sudden strike ect.) with ranged weapons an additional 5ft per point of bonus this feat gives you.

the bonus to attack rolls is still an issue, especially when our fighter from above has this feat, AND weapon focus (Greatbow) and has a +5 Composite greatbow (STR mod of +8) and ... you can see how it's getting out of hand.

I'm fine with the damage increase actually. TBH I'm glad your trying to fix this feat because the way it is now my players often forget they have this feat because the bonuses seem so minimal

Dodge
Prerequisites: 13 Dexterity
Benefit:You gain a +1 dodge bonus to Armor Class for every 4 points of BAB you posses.

Any condition that makes you lose your Dexterity bonus to Armor Class (if any) also makes you lose dodge bonuses. Also, dodge bonuses stack with each other, unlike most other types of bonuses.

If you take this as a fighter bonus feat, the dodge bonus applies to your reflex save.

This is better than the original, maybe make it so that the bonus to AC can't exceed the DEX penalty to armor

bobthe6th
2013-09-25, 01:13 AM
Thanks for the comments.

I can see what you want to do with this feat; make it worthwhile end game, but I'm a little iffy about it and here's why. lets
take a level 20 fighter, he probably has a +5 weapon of his focus, and lets give him a strength of 26 (16 +4, +6 belt). Then say there's a bard and a cleric in the party, inspire courage plus Bless and prayer (which stack if I'm not mistaken) This totals to +44/+39/+34/+29 If I did my math right. that a guaranteed hit (barring a natural 1) against even a Greatwyrm gold dragon (which has the highest AC to my knowledge coming from the MM1). and afterwards he only misses on rolls of 3, 8, 12 (respectively) or less. which are not difficult rolls. It's my experience that the fighter deals out more damage then I expect late game. Although the wizard in theory could blow creatures away, if we're in said Greatwyrm Gold dragon fight, the gold dragon has SR, and good saves to boot, but all he has against the fighter is his AC, which seems irrelevant. And that's against a creature 7 levels higher the the ECL of the party.

that being said, this feat is great mid levels when you don't have access to powerful magic items, and low levels it functions almost identically.

First off... level twenty is the strawman of a lot of homebrew. It is were everything really hits the fan. By that point killing things shouldn't be that hard, or rather things you can really hurt with a full attack with no other bonuses shouldn't be a threat. Also, assuming that there is a bard and a cleric and that their are spending turns just helping you hit things... is a bit of a streach. In those cases I would argue that you spent enough reasources to get that epic.

Now level 6! Eh... its a feat, spent to boost numbers. +2 to hit is really nice as stuff starts to get real AC. It should be pretty cool as it is taking up space for things like improved trip or combat reflexes. Making you take more levels of fighter rather then pull off the rest of your build.

This seem like reasonable logic.

Also, I think Greater weapon focus would be jealous of his regular weapon focus cousin

I was keeping my scope limited. Honestly, I would make it a scaling bonus to maneuvers(trip ect).

the bonus to attack rolls is still an issue, especially when our fighter from above has this feat, AND weapon focus (Greatbow) and has a +5 Composite greatbow (STR mod of +8) and ... you can see how it's getting out of hand.

Not really... that is a fighter dedicated to archery doing maybe 1d10+18 5 times per round... heavy but that is his deal(he has to hit hard enough to start killing terisques in reasonable time). Also, 30ft is really close for a bowman. As bows lack a power attack option, getting guarentied hits isn't as bit a deal. And to get the full bonus only full BAB classes. No precision damage besides thug...

I'm fine with the damage increase actually. TBH I'm glad your trying to fix this feat because the way it is now my players often forget they have this feat because the bonuses seem so minimal

Honestly these are all feat taxes... so helping out is always important.

This is better than the original, maybe make it so that the bonus to AC can't exceed the DEX penalty to armor

Complicates without really doing much... also again a feat, so giving it a limitation is a bit harsh. I would agree from a flavor standpoint... but anyone taking this feat would just be assumed to practice quick dodges(knights prove that moving quickly in armor isn't really an issue.)

TheFamilarRaven
2013-09-25, 01:39 AM
I agree with level 20 being the point where everything just breaks down to all out WMD warfare. And we can spend all day debating back and forth about combat mechanics and hitpoints and tiers and so on and so on, but I was here to PEACH, (or would that be "EACH"?), so that's what I did.

Best thing is to just let people read our points and counter points and decide if they want to implement the feat fixes ... unless they also want to "EACH".

Edit: if you ask people to Please Evaluate and Critique Honestly (P.E.A.C.H) those that respond will Evaluate And Critique Honestly (E.A.C.H)
PEACH is the request
EACH is the action

Honestly it was something silly that i wrote. but you asked so i explained

Amechra
2013-09-25, 01:58 AM
Why are you dropping the "Please" from PEACH, TheFamiliarRaven?

It makes absolutely no sense in any context I can make out in your statement.

But anyway, you might want to add "rounded up" to those feats.

Otherwise, none of them do anything until 4th level at the earliest.

bobthe6th
2013-09-25, 08:01 AM
But anyway, you might want to add "rounded up" to those feats.

Otherwise, none of them do anything until 4th level at the earliest.

That is... a very good point. Implemented.